ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Xavier Johnson.

I guess I am one of the few that kinda likes his feistiness on the court. He usually keeps it under control and gets himself pumped up and playing better, not to mention he gets in the other player's head a lot. Seems it usually happens when he is getting into his player on defense or hustling for loose balls. Anyways, he has had only 3 techs in 45 games at IU and zero flagrant fouls. Pretty sure at least one of the techs was a double tech, but either way it's not like some are making it seem.

I guess I am one of the few that kinda likes his feistiness on the court. He usually keeps it under control and gets himself pumped up and playing better, not to mention he gets in the other player's head a lot. Seems it usually happens when he is getting into his player on defense or hustling for loose balls. Anyways, he has had only 3 techs in 45 games at IU and zero flagrant fouls. Pretty sure at least one of the techs was a double tech, but either way it's not like some are making it seem.
I would say it’s more with his decision making on the court. He gets renegade and it’s bad decision time. At times I like his play but other times I question why he is still in the game.

Well, that's not really applicable for X then either. He's been here for 2 years and we have a year and a quarter at IU as well as his time at Pitt, so we know what he is and can be as a college player. 8 apg is not a reasonable expectation.
Didn't say it was "reasonable" - said that it was "...not unrealistic. Hopeful to be sure, but not outside the realm of possibility".

And there is no no "we", and certainly none that "know(s) what he is and can be as a college player". If the past was such a definitive prologue to the future there really wouldn't be much point in playing the games - could just load everyone's stats from the previous years/high school into a computer model and pick the champion that way.

that's pathetic. I've been single for the last several years and using dating sites. If all or most of a woman's pictures involve alcohol, it's a big turnoff/red flag to me. Drinking should enhance social experience, not be the point of it.
Attitudes toward alcohol have a lot to do with culture. In some places being able to consume mass volumes of alcohol is taken as an indication of strength. Last man standing.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Games where X gets 8+ assists will lead to a lot of wins as I stated. Do you disagree?
Went back and looked at the end of the 21-22 season and X probably wasn't too far off 8apg for the last 7-8 games that season when he was playing well and had 5 games on the year where he was at or over 8 assists. We were 2-3 including a loss in his highest assist game of the season: 12 versus Purdue. So it doesn't appear that having a high assist count correlates to wins. Not a big sample, but I thought that was a bit surprising.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Didn't say it was "reasonable" - said that it was "...not unrealistic. Hopeful to be sure, but not outside the realm of possibility".

And there is no no "we", and certainly none that "know(s) what he is and can be as a college player". If the past was such a definitive prologue to the future there really wouldn't be much point in playing the games - could just load everyone's stats from the previous years/high school into a computer model and pick the champion that way.
Wait, with TJD it was a foregone conclusion he'd get the blocks record based on his history, but X's history with a career high of about 5.7 apg, and 5.0 while at IU, doesn't tell us what type of player he is and you think it's not unrealistic to think he'd jump to 8apg? C'mon dude, history is a pretty good predictor of who a player is, and it would be for a team if it stayed together largely. Our team next year will have 3-4 new starters and probably around 70-80% of it's production from new starters or guys who haven't played together, so it is harder to know how we'll do as a team, but I think we have a good idea for what X can and will do.

Went back and looked at the end of the 21-22 season and X probably wasn't too far off 8apg for the last 7-8 games that season when he was playing well and had 5 games on the year where he was at or over 8 assists. We were 2-3 including a loss in his highest assist game of the season: 12 versus Purdue. So it doesn't appear that having a high assist count correlates to wins. Not a big sample, but I thought that was a bit surprising.
Assists per game are misunderstood by most fans and can be overrated. They are very dependent on style of play ... ie compare UNC PG through the years with Wisconsin's, or scoring PG vs a passing one......

What matters when comparing PG is points created, and more importantly usage% vs. TO%.

Reactions: stollcpa and kkott
I think X has picked up his game. The player who stops him the most is himself. He breaks through that wall he'll continue to get better. Right now, he is the only one with toughness.

Assists per game are misunderstood by most fans and can be overrated. They are very dependent on style of play ... ie compare UNC PG through the years with Wisconsin's, or scoring PG vs a passing one......

What matters when comparing PG is points created, and more importantly usage% vs. TO%.
💯

I’d love to see the two stats in your last paragraph. Is anyone tracking them?

When X went out last year I REALLY didnt want him back to be honest...

But flash forward to this year, I still feel exactly the same.

Hmm well

Gabe has huge upside and a very high BBIQ. But no need to rush him out the way pu had to with smith.
Purdue’s rush to play Smith didn’t work out badly for them, did it? What part of #1 ranked team and BT title holder led by a freshman point guard is there not to like?Being thrown to the dogs doesn’t necessarily mean the integrity of one’s scrotal sack has to be compromised in grisly chew has never been said until just now. You were there!

Hope i am wrong, but XJ play the last part of the 2022 season appears to be fools gold. Hopefully, he can get back to playing at that level again this year.

You are insane.

Trey can’t dribble with his head up and gabe is a Freshmen that will get man handled by upperclassmen.

You seem to only be considering X's very short sighted moments...and not his detrimental cons (which are the majority of the time)...
When X is bad, (granted hes even playing)) hes really bad. Theyre not small mistakes, theyre BIG. I think some of that is due to him being too comfortable making mistakes because hes been told hes the leader apparently until hes blue in the face.
Theres seemingly no accountability on his behalf from the rest of the team, probably because they think hell throw a primadonna fit.
I'll take Trey over X 10 times out of 10. ...Its not even close

You seem to only be considering X's very short sighted moments...and not his detrimental cons (which are the majority of the time)...
When X is bad, (granted hes even playing)) hes really bad. Theyre not small mistakes, theyre BIG. I think some of that is due to him being too comfortable making mistakes because hes been told hes the leader apparently until hes blue in the face.
Theres seemingly no accountability on his behalf from the rest of the team, probably because they think hell throw a primadonna fit.
I'll take Trey over X 10 times out of 10. ...Its not even close

Please expound on his "detrimental cons"?

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
Please expound on his "detrimental cons"?
Well for one... a "leader" whose been on the team and been playin 6 years should know better then to be getting into foul trouble in the first half against a top 5 team...
Its like goddamn come on

Well for one... a "leader" whose been on the team and been playin 6 years should know better then to be getting into foul trouble in the first half against a top 5 team...
Its like goddamn come on

Happens all the time to players, like TJD against PU. Sometimes your just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not like XJ has a history of that happening.

Got anything else besides that weak example?

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
My trepidation with X thus far this season is this.

I expected X would excel with a team built around pushing tempo, in transition, generating fast break opportunities, and playing a high pressure, smothering, extended defense.

I thought X was handcuffed in these areas in his previous season and 10 games due to the personnel he was playing with.

His over dribbling, lack of advancing the ball quickly by passing to teammates, and willingness to settle for walking the ball up the court to initiate the offense with 20 secs remaining on the shot clock are confounding to me and imo severely limits the ceiling for this team, the teams efficiency stats, and the ability to get many of his teammates going offensively thus leading more confidence and energy on both ends of the court

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT