ADVERTISEMENT

This team can win the league

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
We have talent and depth all over the court. We have scores and we can shut teams down defensively.

The BigTen is going to be a 20 round heavyweight prize fight but we’ve got the dogs to be the last team standing.

15-5 isn't unreasonable. That should make us a 2 or 3 seems for the ncaa.

IU!

We have talent and depth all over the court. We have scores and we can shut teams down defensively.

The BigTen is going to be a 20 round heavyweight prize fight but we’ve got the dogs to be the last team standing.

IU!
Please don’t get so excited about two wins over teams in bottom half of the league. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with the wins. I believe they will make the tournament now and that they can be be a top 4-5 team in the B10, but when you jump to saying they can win the conference championship already that’s embarrassing. Let’s revisit this at the end of January.

If we figure out some better perimeter shooting, we are potentially scary. Our frontcourt is very good (even Sparks had some good moments) and we showed tonight we can play up-tempo. Outside the sloppiness, we have a ton of potential because we're seeing so much bench contribution. Our bench could probably beat some bad D1 teams. All this without X--the world's our oyster when he returns as well.

I'm glad that we won, but maybe tapping the brakes would be in order here. Michigan lost to Long Beach State, Stanford, and Memphis. This one doesn't count as a big win for the Hoosiers.

Please don’t get so excited about two wins over teams in bottom half of the league. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with the wins. I believe they will make the tournament now and that they can be be a top 4-5 team in the B10, but when you jump to saying they can win the conference championship already that’s embarrassing. Let’s revisit this at the end of January.

Embarrassing? Not sure how you can’t see the potential here. We will be in the race come February 1. Guaranteed.

Maybe the other difference tonight is we didn't need to hope for a star like TJD or JHS to carry us. Seemed like many players stepped up in key moments when we needed buckets or big plays (Gunn's defense). Seems like in the past, the rest of the team stood around and waited for TJD or JHS to win it for us. At the end you have Trey, Mac and Kel'el all make great plays to put the nail in the coffin. When's the last time we've seen the broad contribution we saw tonight?

I'm glad that we won, but maybe tapping the brakes would be in order here. Michigan lost to Long Beach State, Stanford, and Memphis. This one doesn't count as a big win for the Hoosiers.
I disagree. Road wins in the Big are always important. This was a good one. If you don’t consider a road win against Michigan big then Purdue is likely the only game you will consider a big win because most other teams are similar as far as some strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe the other difference tonight is we didn't need to hope for a star like TJD or JHS to carry us. Seemed like many players stepped up in key moments when we needed buckets or big plays (Gunn's defense). Seems like in the past, the rest of the team stood around and waited for TJD or JHS to win it for us. At the end you have Trey, Mac and Kel'el all make great plays to put the nail in the coffin. When's the last time we've seen the broad contribution we saw tonight?
Agree completely. We have way more options now.

And while everyone could have played better, we really didn't have anyone play terrible. There were clutch plays or key moments that stopped a UM run by almost everyone on the floor tonight. UM had a lot of garbage go in tonight, how many balls hit the iron and dropped in for them--we played better D than the score showed. The potential for every one of these kids was on display tonight.

I disagree. Road wins in the Big are always important. This was a good one. If you don’t consider a road win against Michigan big then Purdue is likely the only game you will consider a big win because most other teams are similar as far as some strengths and weaknesses.
Purdue Illinois Wisconsin Mich st , those would be shockers to win at. main thing protect home court. pull off a couple of these road wins against mid-level big 10 teams and we can finish in the 3-5 range.

If beating Michigan is a big win, then our next B1G game provides the opportunity to win a HUGE one (at Nebraska). Most likely Michigan will not finish in the top 10 of the B1G. But, I’m glad that we won.

The conference is clearly down this year. If that results in Indiana taking advantage of a few spots in the standings, so be it. Due for a little luck.

But to say IU can win the league? Too far of a cast, I think. Right now the schedule has been favorable.

IU!
For us to win the league, we must continue significant strides overall. Our new players can stop improving, X needs to get healthy and play consistently great, and TG has got to get his shooting touch back to last years percentages, but with greater volume. You get all that, and I’d say it can be done.

Regardless, very happy with where this team is right now and can’t wait to see them play at State Farm on Saturday.

Wow love the excitement but slow down my friend. Michigan is now 4-5 Maryland is not very good. We have the worst guards in the big ten we make 2-3 three's a game which has to improve or were not dancing in March.

Just to point out how bad shooting is we have made 2.75 three's a game 22 three's on the season. Last season we made 5.6 three's a game 187 total.

IU!
Over the top with enthusiasm I think but time will tell. I thought Banks and CJ played better. We are still minus a 3 shooter.

Wow love the excitement but slow down my friend. Michigan is now 4-5 Maryland is not very good. We have the worst guards in the big ten we make 2-3 three's a game which has to improve or were not dancing in March.
agreed. Mich is obviously not very good and Maryland hasn't won a road game in 10 yrs.

Illini looked pretty damn solid last night.

But if we can shore up the guard play, we have enough talent to be a tourney team again this year. Have loved Trey's effort over the yrs but his shot is a disaster right now. He's a perfect super-sub but really struggling as a starting 2 guard (if that even still exists in todays game).

Unless the perimeter shooting picks up substantially and consistently....this team will not win the B1G. Allowing defenses to defend only half of the half court will take its toll. It has to be a complete team to win this league and more.

IU!
I would not go that far at all but probably can finish in the top half possibly.

It's an interesting phenomenon

Starting with Louisville then onward to Harvard, Maryland, then Michigan then onward to Auburn then Kansas.

Each opponent consecutively was and will be the second best team IU will have played in this early season.

Reactions: bawlmer
It's an interesting phenomenon

Starting with Louisville then onward to Harvard, Maryland, then Michigan then onward to Auburn then Kansas.

Each opponent consecutively was and will be the second best team IU will have played in this early season.
I kind of like how this schedule is playing out. It’s progressive. It seams to be helping this bunch grow a bit each game. Confidence building. Hope we split the next two at worst.

And while everyone could have played better, we really didn't have anyone play terrible. There were clutch plays or key moments that stopped a UM run by almost everyone on the floor tonight. UM had a lot of garbage go in tonight, how many balls hit the iron and dropped in for them--we played better D than the score showed. The potential for every one of these kids was on display tonight.
Worst thing was probably the turnovers in the first half. It's not nearly as close a game if we took better care of the ball. Though who knows, if we'd had a confortable halftime lead we might have gotten complacent. Seen that before too.

IU!

Ware is almost a lock lottery pick at this point. Woody will make the tourney and use his strengths to his advantage. He has been doin some coachin this year!!
DA **** are you dudes smoking?

IU!
lol we are flipping awful dude

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT