ADVERTISEMENT

This feels like the end of the Bill Lynch era…

ce36ei

Senior
Sep 14, 2019
Someone please tell me why I should have some optimism? I can’t recall being so down as a fan since the end of the Lynch era.

I just looked at available tickets for the OSU game and it appears I’m not the only one. There are literally thousands of tickets left.

I just can’t help but think we’ll struggle to score 20 points a game. And if we’re not in the 30’s per game, I don’t foresee anything other than a 2-4 year season, and another coaching search.

Reactions: IUgradman
Someone please tell me why I should have some optimism? I can’t recall being so down as a fan since the end of the Lynch era.

I just looked at available tickets for the OSU game and it appears I’m not the only one. There are literally thousands of tickets left.

I just can’t help but think we’ll struggle to score 20 points a game. And if we’re not in the 30’s per game, I don’t foresee anything other than a 2-4 year season, and another coaching search.
The Ahia game tix are premium priced, our team forecast is up in the air and Ahia fans don’t travel here nearly the way they used to.

The game may not sell out. Which is sad.

The Ahia game tix are premium priced, our team forecast is up in the air and Ahia fans don’t travel here nearly the way they used to.

The game may not sell out. Which is sad.
I think I’m section 110 or 109 row 1. I looked and there are 42 rows above me and it’s literally 90-95% open. That’s pretty bad, even for IU.

As someone who has followed iu football closely for many decades, Lynch's last team didn't have near the overall talent level of this current team. It's up to Tom Allen to bring this group together and produce a good season.

What bothers me more than probably anything else at this point, is I don't like Scott Dolson as the AD. He is nothing but a basketball dude who simply hasn't proven himself, IMO. A guy like Dolson never gets the AD job at most places, particularly football oriented schools.

The folks here who take up for Scott obviously think he's doing enough on the bball side of things. It's not hard to figure out...

The team is won two conference games in the last 2 years. They are picked to finish at the bottom of the conference again this year. High School recruiting has slipped significantly and upperclassmen are leaving through the portal.

Ohio State started out as a 28.5 favorite. If he wins five games he could be up for Coach of the Year again

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Guess I’m optimistic, I just bought season tickets for the first time. I’m excited to see what this team can do and hoping they can show out enough to get to the end of the division era. I’m mainly interested in the OL play and seeing improvement from that group. I feel they can have a respectable season this year if we can stay healthy enough and create some excitement for the future.

Guess I’m optimistic, I just bought season tickets for the first time. I’m excited to see what this team can do and hoping they can show out enough to get to the end of the division era. I’m mainly interested in the OL play and seeing improvement from that group. I feel they can have a respectable season this year if we can stay healthy enough and create some excitement for the future.
I agree and I see positives on the team with the hire of coaches Bostad, Tucker, and G add in the top portal players on the team and you can be optimistic. With coach G the safeties will be better, coach Tucker had the receivers playing well at Utah State, and coach Bostad is getting everything out of the talented OL we have. The OL was even practicing after practice to get better after getting worse under the old coach. Spring practice this year was focus on contact and going against the DL not backups so the OL would be better, we have reason to be optimistic.

Been an IU Football fan for over 50 years and I have witnessed some pretty bad teams over the years. I feel like most fans that IU Football is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get. I root for IU to win and always reset my hopes every new Season. I do see some decent talent on this Roster but but then again I saw some decent talent on the worst of IU Teams in the past (through my Crimson colored glasses, of course). As always the Season will boil down to staying healthy, utilizing our talent to the fullest and getting some lucky breaks here and there. I don't think we are a bottom of the barrel type team but when you have to play against the stiff B1G competition day in and day out you have very little room for error. As always Depth is our biggest enemy.
Go Hoosiers, win em all!!

The last 2 seasons, especially ‘21, sucked the life out of me as a IU football fan. That year saw the league’s top returning QB fall flat, along with the whole Offense after his injury. Hiller was kept for another year into ‘22 when it was obvious the product he’d rolled out in ‘20 and ‘21 was awful.

A good, strong returning D in ‘21 didn’t perform up to expectations, in part, cuz TA went with an inexperienced DC in Warren instead of a known commodity in Tressel. Another in the many WTF decisions made by this head coach.

I still make 2-3 games/year, but mostly to hook up with old, dear friends. My IU football zeal moving forward will have to be earned with a few surprise victories, I’m afraid. I’m also afraid TA doesn’t have the goods to deliver these surprises…Hope I’m wrong. I want to be wrong!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel. In the coming years, IU will no longer be a conference member. It will drop into a G5 conference where the university can then compete with schools more it’s speed: UAB, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU are our peers than any member in our current conference.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. In the coming years, IU will no longer be a conference member. It will drop into a G5 conference where the university can then compete with schools more it’s speed: UAB, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU are our peers than any member in our current conference.
Dumb

Why be a fan if, before the season has even begun, you're convinced the team is destined for the shitter? That's got to be miserable.

IU has a very different roster this season and several new coaches. No one knows what's coming. They might be terrible. They might be significantly improved. Most fans would withhold judgment until they see them play.

Been an IU Football fan for over 50 years and I have witnessed some pretty bad teams over the years. I feel like most fans that IU Football is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get. I root for IU to win and always reset my hopes every new Season. I do see some decent talent on this Roster but but then again I saw some decent talent on the worst of IU Teams in the past (through my Crimson colored glasses, of course). As always the Season will boil down to staying healthy, utilizing our talent to the fullest and getting some lucky breaks here and there. I don't think we are a bottom of the barrel type team but when you have to play against the stiff B1G competition day in and day out you have very little room for error. As always Depth is our biggest enemy.
Go Hoosiers, win em all!!
I feel like we have decent talent and depth. My biggest concerns are inexperience at QB, the sheer # of changes in 1 year, and the lingering effect of very probably getting bitch-slapped in our first game. If ever we needed an easy first game, it was this year. I'd put the odds of us being a positive surprise at about 25%. a disaster 35%,, and somewhere in between at about 40%.

I feel like we have decent talent and depth. My biggest concerns are inexperience at QB, the sheer # of changes in 1 year, and the lingering effect of very probably getting bitch-slapped in our first game. If ever we needed an easy first game, it was this year. I'd put the odds of us being a positive surprise at about 25%. a disaster 35%,, and somewhere in between at about 40%.
O$U is a bit of an unknown quality. Sure, there is the potential fora 60 point blowout. But what if we keep it under, say 21 points.

Is that a postive for you, or just another ho hum, here we go again?

To me, it will be how easily O$U scores. If they are biting off chunks of yardage with running plays or TD passes to wide open WRs, then I'd say it's going to be a bad year.

If we make them work for their scores and can move the ball ourselves, I'll have some hope.

I really have no idea which way it will go, but I don't expect as much out of the offense as I do our defense.

I do think our Special Teams can have some success. Please, God, keep Lucas healthy.

Why be a fan if, before the season has even begun, you're convinced the team is destined for the shitter? That's got to be miserable.

IU has a very different roster this season and several new coaches. No one knows what's coming. They might be terrible. They might be significantly improved. Most fans would withhold judgment until they see them play.
Eh, I’m not miserable. Just kind of see the writing on the wall. I bought in hard to the CTA era. Took a lot of road trips but honestly the ‘21 Iowa stinker i drove 7 hours to and the season that followed killed my spirit. I just don’t see this “era” recovering and it’s back to the drawing board.

O$U is a bit of an unknown quality. Sure, there is the potential fora 60 point blowout. But what if we keep it under, say 21 points.

Is that a postive for you, or just another ho hum, here we go again?

To me, it will be how easily O$U scores. If they are biting off chunks of yardage with running plays or TD passes to wide open WRs, then I'd say it's going to be a bad year.

If we make them work for their scores and can move the ball ourselves, I'll have some hope.

I really have no idea which way it will go, but I don't expect as much out of the offense as I do our defense.

I do think our Special Teams can have some success. Please, God, keep Lucas healthy.

I'd be pretty satisfied with a 21 pt loss, especially if it was a 7-10 game at HT. I agree with all your points. One other thing I'd hope to see......neither of our top two QBs being seriously injured.

I'd be pretty satisfied with a 21 pt loss, especially if it was a 7-10 game at HT. I agree with all your points. One other thing I'd hope to see......neither of our top two QBs being seriously injured.
I'd be surprised to see any of our QBs take off running for a few games, for just that reason.

I hope it doesn't hurt our offense, if that's the case.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The guy deserves to be banned. He routinely spouts GBI talking points. I'd dump the phony --- in a heartbeat.

Well, in all fairness, Purdoo, Rutgers and Northwestern may be joining us in our new conference unless we all dump a boatload of money into football to stay relevant in the new Big10!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Consistently shallow and extremely nearsighted.

You may be right. I may need an eye exam. What I’ve been seeing under the Allen leadership is two really good seasons, 2 terrible seasons and 2 seasons where we completely underachieved coming off back to back bowls. You might be right. I’ve not been seeing things correctly.

We don't have a clear leader and starter from the QB position, again. It isn't that our top 2 are so talented that it will be hard to pick one. We are showing our weakness at this position. again. Our choices last year for QB were better than this year. We saw how that went. I couldn't tell last year if our receivers were running bad routes or if the offense made it look that way. No separation, no yards after catch..

OL changes may improve the team. Maybe our offense will look better as a result. I wasn't impressed with any of our coaches last year. I hope to see improvement from section 9, but I don't expect any until we can afford to make a major change at the top.

We don't have a clear leader and starter from the QB position, again. It isn't that our top 2 are so talented that it will be hard to pick one. We are showing our weakness at this position. again. Our choices last year for QB were better than this year. We saw how that went. I couldn't tell last year if our receivers were running bad routes or if the offense made it look that way. No separation, no yards after catch..

OL changes may improve the team. Maybe our offense will look better as a result. I wasn't impressed with any of our coaches last year. I hope to see improvement from section 9, but I don't expect any until we can afford to make a major change at the top.
I don't know what the future holds and neither do you, but I do know this. It's only July. We haven't seen them play. Can we at least get through September before we throw in the towel on Allen and the 2023 season? We'll likely get stomped by OSU, but let's see how we look against Louisville, and let's see if we're able to secure comfortable wins against ISU and Akron.

I also know this. IU had two of its best seasons ever in 2019 and 2020. Some have argued that that was more a function of the coordinators than the HC, but who brought in those coordinators? Who was AFCA Coach of the Year in 2020, selected for that honor by other coaches?

We only need a serviceable QB, not a superstar, if we have an effective OL for a change. Bostad may have a huge impact in this regard.

Let's wait and see. Let's give the guys a chance. They deserve that - - and our support.

This remains to be seen, if we are looking at his past performances…. He’s made some pretty mind boggling decisions in the past
Coach Allen, while a fairly good D Coordinator, seems to still be searching for the secret sauce needed to make him a quality head coach, and it’s Year Seven. This looks like a two to five win team, with three or four W’s most likely. Too many question marks, too many thin positions in terms of talent and depth, and too little continuity. Hope they surprise us, but the concerns expressed by you and others are both thoughtful and credible.

Go Hoosiers.

Not a bad idea. Let the fb. Factories go they're own way and iu and other like minded schools form their own ncaa and conferences with their own rules.

I feel better about this team than last year. But I've felt that way since 1980, lol. I like our running backs, and who knows, maybe Dexter Williams will be back. The DL appears to be improved, and the OL has Matthew Bedford back. The LBs and secondary are questionable but we do have Aaron Casey and Noah Pierre back. I think we will be significantly better. It's too bad we open with Ohio State. But we're home.

How about IU steps up and decides they want big boy football. Will they pony up the money and bring in coaches that can achieve big boy football?
I'd say we've got the staff to do it... The big question mark is the OC and he had success at MD when his players were healthy and his biggest problem seems to be his being wedded to his idea of what should work versus what actually will work...

As far as this mythical "big name" head coach who'll show up a lead us to a Big Ten Championship, we've covered that several times on here... How many "name" coaches are clamoring to come here...?

We have a fan base that leaves at half time unless we have a goldilocks sweet spot score; and another third of whom spend all their free time bad mouthing "their" team every chance they get... That's not exactly what name coaches are looking for when taking over a program...

I ordinarily agree with most of your posts but I just don't see more money being thrown at the head coaching position being the answer because all we'd end up with is some retread with a sketchy record...

I like our staff for the most part and if TA can finally focus on being a HC instead of a D.C. I think we'll get back on the winning side of the ledger...

When we bring in a new coach we routinely throw out the baby with the bath water and start from scratch..., which is never a good approach.

Last edited:
I'd say we've got the staff to do it... The big question mark is the OC and he had success at MD when his players were healthy and his biggest problem seems to be his being wedded to his idea of what should work versus what actually will work...

As far as this mythical "big name" head coach who'll show up a lead us to a Big Ten Championship, we've covered that several times on here... How many "name" coaches are clamoring to come here...?

We have a fan base that leaves at half time unless we have a goldilocks sweet spot score; and another third of whom spend all their free time bad mouthing "their" team every chance they get... That's not exactly what name coaches are looking for when taking over a program...

I ordinarily agree with most of your posts but I just don't see more money being thrown at the head coaching position being the answer because all we'd end up with is some retread with a sketchy record...

I like our staff for the most part and if TA can finally focus on being a HC instead of a D.C. I think we'll get back on the winning side of the ledger...

When we bring in a new coach we routinely throw out the baby with the bath water and start from scratch..., which is never a good approach.
That was sarcasm, sorry I wasn't clear, if IU changes football HC they won't pull in a big name coach which would lead to success and the coach leaving. I would like to see the assistant coaches pay go up a lot to keep good ones here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT