ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about the top candiates

I don't know if I want Mack, I kind of think that program has been full of thugs for a while.
Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall would be great choices, and I think decently likely would be open to taking the IU job. Few seems to have zero interest in leaving Gonzaga although a phone call never hurts. Fran Dunphy is a name I have heard as well -- not sure what I think of that.
Bobby Hurley should be on that list. He has done a solid job with an up trajectory his entire coaching career thus far.
that was fun.....I'll bet if I threw a stick you would fetch that too.....lol.....

Bobby Hurley should be on that list. He has done a solid job with an up trajectory his entire coaching career thus far.

that was fun.....I'll bet if I threw a stick you would fetch that too.....lol.....
I don't know about Hurley because he just have not been a HC coach long enough and has not down it at high major long enough.

I don't know about Hurley because he just have not been a HC coach long enough and has not down it at high major long enough.

Then why have Archie Miller as a candidate if tenure at a high major is a requirement?

Then why have Archie Miller as a candidate if tenure at a high major is a requirement?

Archie has had more success at the mid major than Hurley and I never said you had to come from a high major program to be considered. Also Archie Miller would not be in my in my top 4 or 5 candidates for the job if it came open.

Considering the abortion that was taken on, I consider the first five years a success. The three rebuilding years, the Big Ten title, etc. Name another coach in IU basketball history that had to deal with what this coaching staff had to in those three years. Just one.

Would I have liked to have gone farther in his fifth year? Yes, but teams better than ours get knocked out each and every year in the NCAA tournament. We had a guard down to injury and played a very good team that went to the Final Four. Do you not recall what they did in the game after they beat us? Held the opponent to under 40 points, an opponent they lost to only a few weeks earlier.

Years 6 and 7, not great. This year, yes a successful season thus far, but much of it still left to be played. Instead of the gloom and doom train that you and others are riding, I would like to see how it goes forth.

Crean did a great job of building us back to respectability from the ashes, no argument there. But he's simply not the man to take us to the next level. It's not the "gloom and doom" train it's more of the "realistic" train that we are riding. I would LOVE to see this team make a deep tourney run, but as I sit and watch the same ol trends of CTC coached teams I just don't see it happening.

Referencing the 2013 ncaa tournament, to me it wasn't as much that we lost it was how we lost. We were so unprepared for that game it was sickening. Like IU didn't expect Syracuse to come out and play a zone. That one right there was when I think many of us realized he isn't the man that can take us back to "elite".

Archie has had more success at the mid major than Hurley and I never said you had to come from a high major program to be considered. Also Archie Miller would not be in my in my top 4 or 5 candidates for the job if it came open.

Then the second part of this quote wasn't written by you? At this point, with his half year high major experience and recruiting, Hurley is EVERY bit as qualified as Archie Miller if not more.

Then the second part of this quote wasn't written by you? At this point, with his half year high major experience and recruiting, Hurley is EVERY bit as qualified as Archie Miller if not more.
That quote meant is that he has only been there one year so it is hard to tell whether he can coach at this level. It did not say that I expect the next coach to come from a power five conference.

That quote meant is that he has only been there one year so it is hard to tell whether he can coach at this level. It did not say that I expect the next coach to come from a power five conference.

You may have meant that but we can only go by what we read. Mentioning high major experience implies that it is a requirement especially when referencing lack of tenure. IIRC, he had three years at Buffalo, all showing constant improvement and ASU has performed admirably in the PAC12 this year.

You may have meant that but we can only go by what we read. Mentioning high major experience implies that it is a requirement especially when referencing lack of tenure. IIRC, he had three years at Buffalo, all showing constant improvement and ASU has performed admirably in the PAC12 this year.

Only .333 in the PAC12, and two years at Buffalo. Miller has five after succeeding Brownell at Dayton, a program that was performing well when he took over.

Only .333 in the PAC12, and two years at Buffalo. Miller has five after succeeding Brownell at Dayton, a program that was performing well when he took over.
Miller did not succeed Brownell at Dayton because Brownell coached at Wright St. The coach at Dayton before Miller left to go to Georgia Tech.

Archie Miller would be my first call after you made an offer to Stevens, Marshall, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, and Shaka.

right now Hurley is 14-12 in the PAC 12...but he has some nice wins this year. What's more, he hates to lose....and as Coach K's point guard....Hurley knows the game, the pressure at the highest level and what it takes to get to the top.
I think the fact that he jumped into the major conferences so early without hesitation shows he has a pair. The guy is fearless. And with that fiery disposition.....he kind of reminds me of...........well, you know.

right now Hurley is 14-12 in the PAC 12...but he has some nice wins this year. What's more, he hates to lose....and as Coach K's point guard....Hurley knows the game, the pressure at the highest level and what it takes to get to the top.
I think the fact that he jumped into the major conferences so early without hesitation shows he has a pair. The guy is fearless. And with that fiery disposition.....he kind of reminds me of...........well, you know.
One thing I worry about ex coach K players or assistants they have not done that well as HC. Amaker is finally doing well at Harvard but was a but at UM and Capel did not last long at Oklahoma.

One thing I worry about ex coach K players or assistants they have not done that well as HC. Amaker is finally doing well at Harvard but was a but at UM and Capel did not last long at Oklahoma.

IU took a chance on RMK and Duke took a chance on Coach K. While they are a rare find......those finds are out there. Hurley has the same pedigree of Alford...but the guy has a drive that is relentless. To quote Tom Skeritt in "Top Gun"...."I like that in a pilot"......When IU makes that change...I am not saying that Bobby Hurley is the first choice...but he's in the Top 5 as far as I am concerned.

I think Coach Collins is solid
I think Brey is solid
Wojo...still a work in progress but you are right none have came out and dominated.

What is coach Creans coaching tree? This isn't a bash.....just curious.

I think Coach Collins is solid
I think Brey is solid
Wojo...still a work in progress but you are right none have came out and dominated.

What is coach Creans coaching tree? This isn't a bash.....just curious.
I don't know of many former Crean's assistants that are HC but I think the guy at UW Milwaukee is a former Crean player.

I remember that exact same sentiment said about Crean upon his arrival from Marquette. It doesn't feel like it's worked out that way, however.

Yeah, but it takes the right coach to make it work. My response to Crean's hire was "really?". Watching his Marquette teams, I'd already figured out he was a wing-oriented guy who wanted his big guys to be stretch 4s, not guys who'd bang for rebounds and own the paint defensively. My thought at the time was his style of play really didn't fit Indiana's culture all that well . . . but from what I understand since then he was clearly the best coach available to IU. So I don't begrudge either him or Greenspan for the hire. In fact, I'll credit Crean for reestablishing the program's foundations - academics, recruiting, facilities, quality staff. But I just think we've seen his ceiling. And when you hit a ceiling you have to ask whether a change is due . . .

. . . IMO one would be due only if there's an option that keeps what Crean has built to date and can build it further into an elite, championship-contending product on the court. My thought is that there are guys out there who are capable of that, and IU would be good soil to plant them in.

Miller did not succeed Brownell at Dayton because Brownell coached at Wright St. The coach at Dayton before Miller left to go to Georgia Tech.
I am responding to the statement, generally, that Archie Miller took over from Brian Gregory and Dayton was performing well when he took over. Actually, it was in a down slide. Dayton had gone to the NCAAT then missed it two years in a row. Going from 27-8 and 11-5 in '08-'09 to 22-14, 7-9 in '10-'11 was deemed unsatisfactory. Recruiting was felt to be dropping off, too. Gregory was also just a little too...ahem, crude. One could hear the curses during games.

Being a resident of Dayton, I have followed both Wright State and Dayton. No expert, though. Archie Miller is young. But he does seem to get more out of his players as a team. And defense is important. And they don't seem to quit. I don't know if Archie would go to IU after Crean leaves. I also don't know if Archie would be a good fit.

I do think that Coach Crean is not a good fit at IU.

We would land Marshall or Mack if we wanted them no question. I doubt Stevens is coming but there are plenty of reasons why he would. Money is one. I believe has 3 years/$12M left on his Boston deal. If we're really willing to offer 10 years/$70M it would be extremely tempting. How many of you would honestly say no in those circumstances?

We would land Marshall or Mack if we wanted them no question. I doubt Stevens is coming but there are plenty of reasons why he would. Money is one. I believe has 3 years/$12M left on his Boston deal. If we're really willing to offer 10 years/$70M it would be extremely tempting. How many of you would honestly say no in those circumstances?
I disagree that we could get Marshall or Mack with no question ask because they have turned down bigger offers before and seem happy where they are at.

1a. Miller
1b. Mack

We could get either pretty easily.

Mack also played basketball at Evansville and has a lot of Indiana ties.

Forget Stevens and Marshall....

I don't think our job is elite since RK left. As I recall Crean wasn't our first pick, by a long shot.

I disagree that we could get Marshall or Mack with no question ask because they have turned down bigger offers before and seem happy where they are at.

Marshall and Mack have turned down UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas before? That is news to me. I didn't know they were offered any of those gigs.

There is a difference. While Capel's dad was a coach, he wasn't NEAR the coach Hurley's dad is. Bob Hurley might be second to Morgan Wooten with respect to greatest high school coaches of all time (Bill Greene would be up there too). Follow that coaching up with playing for K at Duke and the kid has simply learned from the best. He was always tough as a competitor, rarely made mistakes and won. I can't believe he won't teach fundamentals and require a disciplined team in all phases that would be important to the IU fanbase.

Only Few said no to IU. As has been demonstrated here on several occasions, you generally don't know what you're talking about, Jim. Go stand in the corner where you belong.

That's terrific, but not what we were talking about. Wrong again. Go back to post 142, we weren't talking about IU specifically, but about coaches at schools that are mid major or one step above it that have declined major coaching jobs.

Go stand in a corner where you belong.

What is wrong with Tony Bennett because he won at Washington St where very few has succeeded. He has won two straight ACC championships so what makes you think he couldn't win here.

The poster said deep runs into the NCAA tournament are all that matter. Tony Bennett hasn't produced that. No Elite 8's. No Final Fours. Despite being a 1 seed and a 2 seed (apparently it is ok for Bennett to lose in the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed, but not Crean). Alford, also with high seeds and crash and burn results.

You realize because they are a private school they do not include other inducements, payments, etc, because they do not have to. Right? Instead they (media and others) try to use tax documents to figure out what a coach is paid. Only problem with this is coaches got wise to it, and created LLCs for their camps, speaking functions, and other roles. As a result, it is very difficult if not impossible to pin down the exact amount a coach at a private school makes because of where the dollars are earmarked for, how they are distributed.

I said nothing of the sort, Jim. Few turned down IU. None of the others on your list had that opportunity. This stuff is way over your head.

You really need to go back to the posts you were responding to, which had nothing to do with turning down IU, but rather coaches who turned down bigger jobs. Sorry that was over your head and you joined a discussion late and screwed up with your lack of clarity.

If you insist on calling me someone's name that I am not, then we will agree to not communicate with each other any longer. Childish games aren't my thing.

Reactions: cryano
To me it would have a lateral move for Marshall to go to either Alabama or NC. state because both are middle of the pack teams in their respective conferences.

Marshall was offered the NC State job in 2011, when Wichita State had yet to even make it to the NCAA tournament under Marshall. It absolutely was a bigger job than Wichita State. It wasn't until year 6 that Marshall made his run at WSU, he was offered NC State in year 4 of WSU, after back to back NIT appearances.

Referencing the 2013 ncaa tournament, to me it wasn't as much that we lost it was how we lost. We were so unprepared for that game it was sickening. Like IU didn't expect Syracuse to come out and play a zone. That one right there was when I think many of us realized he isn't the man that can take us back to "elite".

Everyone expects Syracuse to play zone and teams still got mowed down that tournament. Syracuse beat a team from their own conference the very next game, held them to under 40 points. Did that school not expect Syracuse to play zone?

You realize because they are a private school they do not include other inducements, payments, etc, because they do not have to. Right? Instead they (media and others) try to use tax documents to figure out what a coach is paid. Only problem with this is coaches got wise to it, and created LLCs for their camps, speaking functions, and other roles. As a result, it is very difficult if not impossible to pin down the exact amount a coach at a private school makes because of where the dollars are earmarked for, how they are distributed.

Sure, but how inaccurate do you think this list is? USA Today isn't going to put out total bs. How much do you really think Dayton can shell out for Archie Miller to coach the basketball team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT