ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about the top candiates

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
Thinking about why would some of the top candiates leave their jobs right now to come to IU if there is an opening after the season.

Stevens- I don't see any reason why he would leave Boston right now since he has Boston 3rd in the Eastern Conference. He also has a lot of draft picks in the next few drafts to build his team.

Marsahll- Why would he leave a good job where he has proven he can lead WSU to the final four and also had them as a #1 seed. They have rich donors who can beat any offer that we could possibly give him. Also what can he not do at WSU that he could do at IU. Marshall can stay at WSU and keep producing these results he can have this job for life so what incentive does he have to leave.

Mack- Can say the same thing about Mack as you can with Marshall because he has proven he can win and be mentioned as one of the top prorams in the country. Also I would think coaching where you went to school and played would keep him there.

A name I never see mentioned - and dont laugh - Geno Aurima? (sp)? He has mentioned that he would like to coach the mens game

Thinking about why would some of the top candiates leave their jobs right now to come to IU if there is an opening after the season.

Stevens- I don't see any reason why he would leave Boston right now since he has Boston 3rd in the Eastern Conference. He also has a lot of draft picks in the next few drafts to build his team.

Marsahll- Why would he leave a good job where he has proven he can lead WSU to the final four and also had them as a #1 seed. They have rich donors who can beat any offer that we could possibly give him. Also what can he not do at WSU that he could do at IU. Marshall can stay at WSU and keep producing these results he can have this job for life so what incentive does he have to leave.

Mack- Can say the same thing about Mack as you can with Marshall because he has proven he can win and be mentioned as one of the top prorams in the country. Also I would think coaching where you went to school and played would keep him there.
I see you switched back over....so I take it you are not waiting to see how things play out now and you switched back to bashing CTC again. See why I jump on you so much now when you make comments at me?

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I see you switched back over....so I take it you are not waiting to see how things play out now and you switched back to bashing CTC again. See why I jump on you so much now when you make comments at me?
I have never said I want to keep Crean and the reason I brought this up was in another post someone said we need to bring in our Nick Saban. I am just pointing out that the coaches who we would consider our Nick Saban is probably not coming and it is just not that easy just to get a great coach to leave their job.

I have never said I want to keep Crean and the reason I brought this up was in another post someone said we need to bring in our Nick Saban. I am just pointing out that the coaches who we would consider our Nick Saban is probably not coming and it is just not that easy just to get a great coach to leave their job.
just let it play out Scott....take your own advice. Quit going back and forth.

I am letting it play out and like I said I only brought this up was to show that we might have a hard time getting out Nick Saban.

There are more than 3 coaches that are better than Tom Crean in the country. Even if we don't get a dead on "home run" doesn't mean we have to stay put and keep going down the same path year in year out. Archie Miller is a young up and comer that has Dayton in the top 25. Take a look at his current salary just after signing an extension. He would crawl to Bloomington.

WHen looking at coaches you cant base it completely off what their record is currently. A coach say at Iowa...would be able to recruit better at a place like IU.

Reactions: mazz
There are more than 3 coaches that are better than Tom Crean in the country. Even if we don't get a dead on "home run" doesn't mean we have to stay put and keep going down the same path year in year out. Archie Miller is a young up and comer that has Dayton in the top 25. Take a look at his current salary just after signing an extension. He would crawl to Bloomington.
Miller would be a coach I would definitely look at.

A name I never see mentioned - and dont laugh - Geno Aurima? (sp)? He has mentioned that he would like to coach the mens game

Geno is used to having a ridiculous talent level to compete with. He would have to recruit like Calipari to get the equivalent of the talent he's used to having. The talent pool just isn't as deep in girls bball and the same 5-6 schools get all the major talent every single year. Geno has even said this himself in interviews.

Geno is used to having a ridiculous talent level to compete with. He would have to recruit like Calipari to get the equivalent of the talent he's used to having. The talent pool just isn't as deep in girls bball and the same 5-6 schools get all the major talent every single year. Geno has even said this himself in interviews.

That, and the women's and men's games are not the same. Not saying he couldn't have success in the men's game but a school like IU ain't the place to try that experiment.

1a. Miller
1b. Mack

We could get either pretty easily.

Mack also played basketball at Evansville and has a lot of Indiana ties.

Forget Stevens and Marshall....
My thinking is why leave a job that is less stressful and a place where the fans love you to go to a place where your ever move is watched by the fan base. Also I think Xavier is probably able to afford to pay him what he wants and he has had success there nationally so he can do everything at Xavier that he can at IU.

I brought this up because in another post said we need to get our Nick Saban and I was showing that our Nick Saban probably would not come.

but what alabama actually did was try out and then cut ties with dubose, franchione, and shula, and then grabbed saban when the they could.

iu could do something like that.

Reactions: mazz and bsmitty08
My thinking is why leave a job that is less stressful and a place where the fans love you to go to a place where your ever move is watched by the fan base. Also I think Xavier is probably able to afford to pay him what he wants and he has had success there nationally so he can do everything at Xavier that he can at IU.

but coaches leave for more stressful jobs all the time. coaches like challenges. that's why it's silly to count out a marshall.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Iu is a step up from Xavier as for the job goes.

but coaches leave for more stressful jobs all the time. coaches like challenges. that's why it's silly to count out a marshall.
They don't leave if it they don't have to and at Xavier Mack can do the same thing there as he can do at IU. Why go some place with the headaches like he would have at IU and leave a place where if you keep doing what he is doing the fan base will love him.

They don't leave if it they don't have to and at Xavier Mack can do the same thing there as he can do at IU. Why go some place with the headaches like he would have at IU and leave a place where if you keep doing what he is doing the fan base will love him.

a lot of Xavier coaches have left for gigs with more headaches

oh ya, IU is poison. our money isn't green. no fan support, no kids nearby who can play. basketball waste land. we...get...it.

Reactions: sasser2 and T.M.P.
There really is no such thing as a home run hire. Any coach is a risk. People in Minnesota called tubby Smith a home run hire and look at how that turned out. Archie miller is certainly one I would look at though.

Mack makes 1.1 mil a year....Crean makes more than triple that....

Xavier can't touch Indiana basketball money.

And if you were right about the whole fan base thing...why would Crean stay?

Why do coaches go to Kentucky, North Carolina, etc then? Like stated crean makes triple what Mack does so why would a guy like Mac not want to come to iu.

This line of thinking is why Brad Stevens would never leave Butler. He walks on water there. Why would he leave for the headache that is the NBA. Oh... wait.... what?

Reactions: Rakkasan29

Why would Marshall leave WSU? A lot more money and to coach in a top conference are two reasons why. WSU has hit their peak. They will not have two players like the two they have now, who I believe are both seniors. Also, Mack, well it is the Big East....which is not even close to the B10 anymore. Also, for him, money. But, he will not leave Xavier as I think it is his alma mater. Go Hoosiers!!!!!!

Why would Marshall leave WSU? A lot more money and to coach in a top conference are two reasons why. WSU has hit their peak. They will not have two players like the two they have now, who I believe are both seniors. Also, Mack, well it is the Big East....which is not even close to the B10 anymore. Also, for him, money. But, he will not leave Xavier as I think it is his alma mater. Go Hoosiers!!!!!!
Marshall makes as much as CTC does now. Both are in the 3 million a year range after Marshall got a raise and extension

Actually WSU could out pay anything IU could give him

you mean the big east that has two top 6 teams in the country with one being # in the country in Villanova and Xavier.

Brad Underwood of Stephen F Austin.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Maybe Crean doesn't stay and leaves on his own. Why would Mack want to come to IU? For the fans? For the pressure? Where going to the NCAA tournament and winning your conference title means if you don't repeat it within two years fans want you out? Why would coaches put themselves through that? What's the upside? When you make millions, an extra million for that grief is not always something coaches are clamoring for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT