ADVERTISEMENT

Things will get interesting in Atlanta

Only skimmed through the first couple pages, but the officer firing the taser twice and it being out of ammo (and the cop knowing that) when the victim stole it is a pretty key piece of information.

Killing the dude was a completely inappropriate response and the police deserve to be criminally punished for that.
Was the taser Brooks had the one that had been fired twice? Or was it the other cop's?

I'm pretty sure the video shows Brooks shooting a taser and missing the chasing officer . . .

. . . we need to know a lot more about the taser . . . .

All of what you're describing was in St. Louis, right? Not everywhere treated the issue the same way St. Louis cops did.

BTW, was what you're describing in St. Louis, or the St. Louis suburbs? I'm asking out of ignorance, not to make a point.
Didn’t you go to school and got your green with yellow wheels degree to defend the guilty? I thought so.

That teaches him a great lesson, "hey we know you drove here drunk, passed out and could have caused great danger to others, so we are going to just walk you home and hope like hell you learn your lesson". That will teach him, maybe Barnie and Andy can go check up on him in the morning and bring him some coffee to get rid of the hangover. lol
What lesson did he learn now that he’s dead? What lesson did the rest of the country learn ? The country that has already been protesting police brutality for three weeks?

Really? I wonder...

So for you, HoopsDoc, Jet,vslice and anyone else that thinks this shooting in this spot under these circumstances was justified I've got a few hypotheticals. First off I don't want to misrepresent anyone's opinion, so correct me if I'm wrong. You folks have no problem with a cop discharging his weapon three times at a running DUI suspect in a crowded Wendy's drive thru/parking area on a weekend night in metro Atlanta? Three shots,with the 3rd coming AFTER 2 previous shots have already entered this suspects back? Am I stating your position correctly?

You do not feel the other alternatives like chasing the subject on foot, allowing him to escape and staking out his home,calling for backup-none of these alternatives seem more appropriate to you than shooting an unarmed man (carrying a discharged taser) in the back for that exact offense at that exact location, right? Am I accurately articulating the argument you are making here? And you realize that this subject has been searched, had his ID run for warrants, and was evidently coherent enough and viewed as harmless enough that these same officers at one point allowed him to drive his own car a short distance to a parking spot and park it, right?
I just want to be sure we're all on the same page, as far as facts go...

Now I refer you to this video, and you don't even have to watch the video. Look at the still photo of the preview and tell me do you see at least 4 other cars in the frame of where the man fell when he was shot? If so, do you still feel that discharging a firearm THREE times in that setting was justified or even advisable conduct by an LEO? For a suspect that was fleeing from the scene of a suspected DUI?

If the answer is still yes, then let's place you and your family in one of those cars. And since the video that you describe as "a bit outside" is an interview with a man whose car was hit by that third shot, then let's say YOUR car was hit by that shot, and maybe even your child. Still feel exactly the same way, knowing what we know the officers KNEW?

So suppose your child was shot in your car while you were in line at a damn drive-thru, and you discovered that the cop had shot at a DUI suspect fleeing on foot 3 times, with the first two hitting him in the back and mortally wounding him. Still feel the same?

Now suppose later you discovered that the cop had been on the force for 7 yrs, and had in just 7 yrs been "investigated" TWELVE times. Including for improper discharge of his firearm 2 yrs ago, and before that being part of a cover-up, when an officer-involved shooting that involved a car chase suspect being wounded and needing surgery, and none of the involved officers had reported it on their arrest paperwork? Do you think that sounds like a cop who exercises good judgement?

So do you think you might have a justifiable reason to sue if your child was injured or killed? Let's say all that came down the way I suggested, would you still be claiming the cops exercised good judgement and did nothing wrong? Would you not even consider a lawsuit, and bring all of these facts together as evidence? I don't have kids, but I gotta tell you, substitute my dog for my non-existent child and you're damn straight I'd sue. And I think I'd have a very good shot of winning...

gonna respond for this, ooto now

All of what you're describing was in St. Louis, right? Not everywhere treated the issue the same way St. Louis cops did.

BTW, was what you're describing in St. Louis, or the St. Louis suburbs? I'm asking out of ignorance, not to make a point.
Both city and suburbs but I’ve “heard” it the same in many other places, including much of fla. I think it was in response to MADD and some higher profile drunk driving cases.

Reactions: Sope Creek
When I was a kid the cops would drive you home to face your parents or spouse . . .

. . . with my dad that would have been punishment . . . .
Oh for sure!! Guys used to have empties in the backseat and not think much of it.

Really? I wonder...

So for you, HoopsDoc, Jet,vslice and anyone else that thinks this shooting in this spot under these circumstances was justified I've got a few hypotheticals. First off I don't want to misrepresent anyone's opinion, so correct me if I'm wrong. You folks have no problem with a cop discharging his weapon three times at a running DUI suspect in a crowded Wendy's drive thru/parking area on a weekend night in metro Atlanta? Three shots,with the 3rd coming AFTER 2 previous shots have already entered this suspects back? Am I stating your position correctly?

You do not feel the other alternatives like chasing the subject on foot, allowing him to escape and staking out his home,calling for backup-none of these alternatives seem more appropriate to you than shooting an unarmed man (carrying a discharged taser) in the back for that exact offense at that exact location, right? Am I accurately articulating the argument you are making here? And you realize that this subject has been searched, had his ID run for warrants, and was evidently coherent enough and viewed as harmless enough that these same officers at one point allowed him to drive his own car a short distance to a parking spot and park it, right?
I just want to be sure we're all on the same page, as far as facts go...

Now I refer you to this video, and you don't even have to watch the video. Look at the still photo of the preview and tell me do you see at least 4 other cars in the frame of where the man fell when he was shot? If so, do you still feel that discharging a firearm THREE times in that setting was justified or even advisable conduct by an LEO? For a suspect that was fleeing from the scene of a suspected DUI?

If the answer is still yes, then let's place you and your family in one of those cars. And since the video that you describe as "a bit outside" is an interview with a man whose car was hit by that third shot, then let's say YOUR car was hit by that shot, and maybe even your child. Still feel exactly the same way, knowing what we know the officers KNEW?

So suppose your child was shot in your car while you were in line at a damn drive-thru, and you discovered that the cop had shot at a DUI suspect fleeing on foot 3 times, with the first two hitting him in the back and mortally wounding him. Still feel the same?

Now suppose later you discovered that the cop had been on the force for 7 yrs, and had in just 7 yrs been "investigated" TWELVE times. Including for improper discharge of his firearm 2 yrs ago, and before that being part of a cover-up, when an officer-involved shooting that involved a car chase suspect being wounded and needing surgery, and none of the involved officers had reported it on their arrest paperwork? Do you think that sounds like a cop who exercises good judgement?

So do you think you might have a justifiable reason to sue if your child was injured or killed? Let's say all that came down the way I suggested, would you still be claiming the cops exercised good judgement and did nothing wrong? Would you not even consider a lawsuit, and bring all of these facts together as evidence? I don't have kids, but I gotta tell you, substitute my dog for my non-existent child and you're damn straight I'd sue. And I think I'd have a very good shot of winning...

TL;DR most of it. You can twist it anyway you want or isolate any one aspect of it. I’m not arguing legality, & I’m not portending that the cops did everything right. I’m simply saying that IN MY OPINION if a convicted felon, in the process of committing multiple more felonies including attempting to use a weapon on the police gets shot, I’m fine with it. White, black, purple, whatever.
If we’re going to compare collateral damage, let’s compare drunk driving to stray bullets from police...

Reactions: Lucy01
So you prefer that he's dead . . . .
I prefer he accepts accountability for his actions. He is dead because he failed to do so. I hate that he died but again why run why resist? I mean its easy for you to say "you prefer that he's dead" after the fact.

What I would prefer is that he was caught drunk passed out in a drive thru, the police approached him he knew he was in the wrong let the officers do their job and take him to the drunk tank. Maybe he learns his lesson, hopefully, but one thing is for certain he wasn't allowed to drive away and hurt someone and he would still be with us today.

I prefer he accepts accountability for his actions. He is dead because he failed to do so. I hate that he died but again why run why resist? I mean its easy for you to say "you prefer that he's dead" after the fact.

What I would prefer is that he was caught drunk passed out in a drive thru, the police approached him he knew he was in the wrong let the officers do their job and take him to the drunk tank. Maybe he learns his lesson, hopefully, but one thing is for certain he wasn't allowed to drive away and hurt someone and he would still be with us today.

Well...he was allowed to drive his car away from where it was.

Used to be that way. Cops would take the drunk’s keys and leave them in his trunk and tell him to walk home. He can come back in the morning to get the car etc. but dwi’s became a bigger deal and the public wanted greater enforcement of same. The days of walking drunks home are over. Too many drunk driving deaths to be courteous.

This guy fought bc he was likely afraid of a probation revocation.

Suspects and cops both need to behave better. This shouldn’t be a debate.
I remember the days of walking a drunk home and thankfully they are gone, I still remember being a few buses back from the Carolton Kentucky crash in 1988 where a drunk driver his a school bus coming back from Kings Island.

Most suspects that resist are probably more than suspects, but I get your point.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
What lesson did he learn now that he’s dead? What lesson did the rest of the country learn ? The country that has already been protesting police brutality for three weeks?
It’s not about learning lessons. It’s about protecting people.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

OK . . . should Rolfe be held accountable for his actions?

Reactions: cosmickid
I'm not reading through this trash of a thread. I can only take so much of JDB and crew blowing their loads over a black person committing a crime.

One thing I will say is that its complete BS when anyone brings up his past crimes as justification for being killed by the cops.

He fell asleep at the drive through, not the parking lot. Significant difference

the risk for further crime comes after he beat up two cops, should they allow him to slink back off into the night. He was then an outlaw without a car and potentially without means, risk for crime pretty high at that point

I think you're missing my point, about what the cops knew. Rolfe KNEW that Brooks was unarmed other than an already discharged taser when he fired three shots. Presumably, Rolfe would know how the taser Atl officers are issued work. He also shot him twice in the back and fired a third shot, which struck someone's SUV.

They had NOT called for backup and evidently felt comfortable enough with Brooks to let him drive his own vehicle and park it. Had the run on his id turned up a cause for concern, I doubt they would have let him drive his own vehicle...

Wasn't the rationale for the cop to shoot Michael Brown that Brown was advancing towards him and he perceived a threat to his life?
Hard for Rolfe to argue that when he shot Brooks twice in the back. I'm no marksman, but isn't it pretty hard to shoot someone in the back if they are facing you?

Why shoot for ultimate mass on a person running away from you carrying what was likely a useless taser? If you shoot at his leg and miss twice, is it even viable to claim that you fear he would now charge you and attack you with his bare hands?

Do you think that even with the added complaints of resisting arrest and assault that Brooks was the worst offender Atlanta police dealt with that night? And yet for some reason, other officers managed to arrest "dangerous criminals" who likely were actively engaging in violent activity without killing them.

Unfortunately these guys for whatever reason chose a different route...I just don't think shooting Brooks in the back was the only or even best alternative and that Rolfe's poor judgement is perhaps the reason they fired him immediately... Remember, there were witnesses, in addition to whatever video you and I may or may not have seen yet...

That teaches him a great lesson, "hey we know you drove here drunk, passed out and could have caused great danger to others, so we are going to just walk you home and hope like hell you learn your lesson". That will teach him, maybe Barnie and Andy can go check up on him in the morning and bring him some coffee to get rid of the hangover. lol

Right. Because we all know that same exact or very close to it scenario doesn't happen hundreds of times a night in various locales across the US? But in THIS particular incident, it would somehow have enraged you? I wonder what the possible difference could be...

I bet parents who have lost loves ones to drunk drivers would say anything over the legal limit is not legal to drive. I'm no saint have driven in my past when I shouldn't but once I had kids and especially kids that drive I would want to do more than shoot this fella if he were driving impaired and hurt/killed one of mine.

Did I miss something? Was Brooks driving his car at the officers as a weapon, so they could reasonably infer that he was intent on going out and injuring/killing someone in a hit and run?

I get the idea that if we were debating Amadou Diallo here, some of you guys would argue that it was his fault he was shot at 41 times (19 hits) by 4 undercover officers who saw him standing in the vestibule of his apartment building, mistook him for a rape suspect and advanced on him without announcing they were even police officers. They claimed he had reached in his pocket and pulled out a weapon, but it was in fact his wallet, which he likely was pulling out to show ID.

I mean that's like the scene out of Bonnie and Clyde where the FBI guys blast the car with machine guns and basically shred the bodies. But after reading this thread I have no doubt. Some of you would not only vote to exonerate the officers but would bend over backwards to invent reasons you felt Amadou was to blame for his own execution. Someone would likely claim he was not just standing there relaxing but was actually plotting to hijack a car and go on a crime spree...

1. Cited in numerous articles he had been on probation.
2. Because he was under of suspicion of dwi. I don’t know GA law but a field sobriety/nystagmus test are routine.

You don’t ignore committing a crime bc he may have done something to revoke probation. You charge both.

As I explained, I type slow and hadn't seen any posts with the probation info when I made my posts asking for links. But I still wonder about the fact that they supposedly viwed him as a dangerous felon, yet they let him move his own car? If Rolfe didn't know he was on probation, then imo that makes his decision to shoot at mass even more questionable...

Btw, the DA originally advised that the other officer had agreed to testify against Rolfe. That officer's lawyer refuted that saying "no deal" had been reached. But that to me begs the question, what was it the State felt the other officer could shed light on and reveal that made him a witness in their eyes? Maybe the comments and or actions Rolfe made in the interim between the shooting and the arrival of backup?

Was the taser Brooks had the one that had been fired twice? Or was it the other cop's?

I'm pretty sure the video shows Brooks shooting a taser and missing the chasing officer . . .

After rewatching it's clear that Brooks fire the taser at Rolfe, and in avoiding it Rolfe basically leans against another car. Brooks never really actually turns around to face Rolfe, just seems to kind of twist and stick his arm behind him and sort of haphazardly fire the taser...

So the issue of what Rolfe would know about the taser seems critical. Clearly Rolfe doesn't even shoot at Brooks until after the taser has discharged and Brooks is running away from Rolfe with his back to him. I'm not sure Rolfe could argue that he feared Brooks would turn around and run towards him in attack mode- he shot him twice in the back. He also can't claim (like that transit cop in Oakland a few years back) that he mistook his Glock for his taser.

And then the DA specifically noted statements from witnesses. I'm thinking that there were reasons the DA went with FELONY murder, and not 2nd degree or manslaughter. We may not really know more till the trial, but I go back to the DA mentioning that the other officer was going to testify against Rolfe...

Yep and that would be on whomever let him leave.

Dude he did NOT "leave". The video prior to the shooting shows the cops letting him drive his car to a parking place and park it. I doubt that is SOP when cops feel like they are dealing with a "dangerous criminal"...

Protecting whom? Does that include Brooks?
Whomever the criminal may harm. Maybe he wouldn’t harm anyone. I’d rather not chance it. If you live in that neighborhood, what percentage of another crime being committed (drunk driving, assaulting someone, which he had already shown he was willing to do), are you willing to deem acceptable?

What if Mr Brooks grabbed the gun instead of the taser?......

You should read the posts in their entirety to completely understand my post.

I'm not sure what lesson the country learned? Quite frankly I'm concerned only with what I and my family learned which is be accountable for your actions. I haven't been paying much attention to what certain cities are doing to protest anything, the event that happened in Minneapolis is dreadful and it should be punished as such, but to make this a nationwide issue to me is a bit crazy and allows some that if truly asked do not care, to get out and in some instances act ignorantly. Stealing and destroying are not protesting, and quite frankly the those types of actions greatly diminish the affect/message the peaceful protestors are trying to make.

Reactions: stollcpa
Dude he did NOT "leave". The video prior to the shooting shows the cops letting him drive his car to a parking place and park it. I doubt that is SOP when cops feel like they are dealing with a "dangerous criminal"...
Dude he obviously left somewhere unless Wendy's is now serving cocktails with their burgers. He didn't just drive up to Wendy's and all of a sudden become drunk. I was referring to the before Wendy's events. Are we clear, I mean crystal clear now?

Only skimmed through the first couple pages, but the officer firing the taser twice and it being out of ammo (and the cop knowing that) when the victim stole it is a pretty key piece of information.

Killing the dude was a completely inappropriate response and the police deserve to be criminally punished for that.
Is this confirmed to be true? It looked like the taser fired when he looked back and pointed it at the cop.

Whomever the criminal may harm. Maybe he wouldn’t harm anyone. I’d rather not chance it. If you live in that neighborhood, what percentage of another crime being committed (drunk driving, assaulting someone, which he had already shown he was willing to do), are you willing to deem acceptable?

That's a pretty odd standard for lethal force. A person may harm someone at some point, so to avoid any further crime just shoot them?

Did I miss something? Was Brooks driving his car at the officers as a weapon, so they could reasonably infer that he was intent on going out and injuring/killing someone in a hit and run?

I get the idea that if we were debating Amadou Diallo here, some of you guys would argue that it was his fault he was shot at 41 times (19 hits) by 4 undercover officers who saw him standing in the vestibule of his apartment building, mistook him for a rape suspect and advanced on him without announcing they were even police officers. They claimed he had reached in his pocket and pulled out a weapon, but it was in fact his wallet, which he likely was pulling out to show ID.

I mean that's like the scene out of Bonnie and Clyde where the FBI guys blast the car with machine guns and basically shred the bodies. But after reading this thread I have no doubt. Some of you would not only vote to exonerate the officers but would bend over backwards to invent reasons you felt Amadou was to blame for his own execution. Someone would likely claim he was not just standing there relaxing but was actually plotting to hijack a car and go on a crime spree...
You like many should read the subsequent posts to fully understand my post, like normal you jump to conclusion to make a point that was not need to be made. I don't know who Diallo is or anything about him so that example doesn't even come close to mean anything to me.

You like many should read the subsequent posts to fully understand my post, like normal you jump to conclusion to make a point that was not need to be made. I don't know who Diallo is or anything about him so that example doesn't even come close to mean anything to me.

I'd humbly suggest that it would benefit you to learn who Diallo is as it might give you some additional context as you comment on current events.

Reactions: Rockfish1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT