ADVERTISEMENT

Things will get interesting in Atlanta

I think this is too broad. A police officer in danger of a black eye doesn't get to respond with deadly force. Someone who poses a danger of shoplifting to the community doesn't warrant deadly force either. I don't think anyone disagrees that an officer in imminent mortal danger is justified in responding with the same, but I also think that we can hold them to a standard of accepting some lesser risks without killing people.

My wife works with individuals with special needs. Some of the folks she's worked with have been young adults with severe autism. A few had very significant physical behaviors, almost always stemming from underlying communication and sensory issues. I watched my wife put herself in danger to deescalate situations with students twice her size. Sometimes she got bruised or bit. She never once applied violence in return. This is a story that plays out with mental health workers, special education teachers, social workers, EMTs, and nurses every single day who manage to deal with scary situations and not shoot the people they're responsible for keeping safe. I don't think it's anywhere near unreasonable to only accept police officers with that same minimal level of bravery to put themselves at risk of minor harm rather than killing people.

i should have said in mortal danger. Or at least had reason to believe they were in mortal danger.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-begged-father-four-stay-alive-gave-CPR.html

EXCLUSIVE: 'Mr. Brooks keep breathing. Keep breathing for me.' Fired officer who shot Rayshard Brooks dead begged the father-of-four to stay alive as he desperately administered CPR, bodycam footage reveals
The police officer who shot dead Rayshard Brooks begged the father-of-four to live as he desperately administered CPR to the dying man, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Former officer Garrett Rolfe, 27, shot Brooks twice in the back on Friday June 12 when a peaceable call-out suddenly escalated into unspeakable violence.

Rolfe's bodycam came off during the violent altercation that erupted when he tried to cuff Brooks telling him he'd had too much to drink to be driving.

But the camera never stopped recording, as it was picked up and carried around by other officers called out to investigate the shooting before eventually being returned to its owner.

Now, DailyMail.com can reveal what happened in the moments after the shooting when Rolfe and fellow officer Devin Brosnan, 26, desperately fought to save Brooks' life...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT