ADVERTISEMENT

Things will get interesting in Atlanta

Yikes, this true?
Yeah there were silly posts on this board about his reaction to the police was out of some innate fear of cops and blah blah blah. The guy was on probation and afraid of being sent back to prison. This incident wasn't his first rodeo. He certainly didn't deserve to die; nor did he deserve to be shot in the back as i don't understand how just running away posed an imminent threat to anyway, but many posters on this board are quick to paint these criminals like Mother Teresa.

No, he should of remembered he had backup because there were two cops on the scene. The fact they couldn’t restrain a guy drunk off his ass says a lot about their training compounded by the fact they ended up shooting him in the back after patting him down.

lol, it’s like you think this is a video game with a pause button

I don’t know how we work ourselves out of this situation.
No one wants to listen, but everyone wants to be heard.

Who provides direction, where are the leaders?

What are the facts in this case? Please update if I’ve missed something or have incorrect information.
  1. Man passed out at Wendy’s drive thru
  2. Police are called by civilians
  3. Police wake man from vehicle
  4. Field sobriety test failed
  5. Police try to take man into custody and struggle ensues
  6. Police unable to restrain suspect
  7. Suspect seems to gain control of both officers, takes taser. Punches are thrown, landed by suspect.
  8. Suspect runs from police
  9. Suspect turns and fires taser at one police officer
  10. Police office fires shots striking suspect in back
  11. Police stand on suspect, also kick suspect once he’s fallen to the ground.
  12. Suspect dies and police now charged with felony murder
If this happened at any other time to any other human regardless of color the vast, vast majority of people would ask what the hell was this guy thinking?

This situation is not George Floyd. Wait until the verdict falls in favor of the police officer and only found guilty on lesser chargers. Let it begin.......I’m starting to think we deserve this.

This cop was disciplined for an earlier shooting and covered up a different shooting. Not a good look for officers to choose this guy as their martyr...

• Rolfe, who has been fired, received a written reprimand for use-of-force involving a firearm on October 17. It's the only use-of-force complaint leveled against him.
  • He had been with the department for nearly seven years and had faced 12 investigations. He was exonerated in nine of them.
https://www.insider.com/garrett-rol...ooks-shooting-reprimanded-use-of-force-2020-6

The video shows that after firing the taser, Brooks turns around and is running away. So no immediate threat to an officer, from a man who basically is being pursued because he resisted arrest for a "suspected" DUI. They can't claim outstanding warrants, because we'd have already heard about that if he was someone with warrants...

You have to weigh the potential charges and decide if the attempt to escape DUI warrants being shot dead. And while Brooks exercised poor judgment, I also think you have to weigh the history of some black civilians who have been arrested over traffic violations in the South, when evaluating his possible state of mind. In that regard, someone like Sandra Bland comes to mind.

And contrast this case where a man is shot dead over a DUI with the recent arrest of a guy like Carrillo in CA who was captured without incident despite shooting 2 cops in ambush-style... I just don't see the justification for the use of deadly force when the worst outcome would have been a suspected drunk escaping on foot. They had run his ID and knew where he lived. What's the urgency to "take the shot"?

Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah there were silly posts on this board about his reaction to the police was out of some innate fear of cops and blah blah blah. The guy was on probation and afraid of being sent back to prison. This incident wasn't his first rodeo. He certainly didn't deserve to die; nor did he deserve to be shot in the back as i don't understand how just running away posed an imminent threat to anyway, but many posters on this board are quick to paint these criminals like Mother Teresa.

I agree that the situation involves many complexities. He didn't deserve to die. He also shouldn't have resisted arrest (we now know why he did). Should the cop have shot to wound, considering the circumstances (perhaps that is an unreasonable request given the intense pace at which things transpired)? If the cops let him go, where do you draw the line?

This cop was disciplined for an earlier shooting and covered up a different shooting. Not a good look for officers to choose this guy as their martyr...

• Rolfe, who has been fired, received a written reprimand for use-of-force involving a firearm on October 17. It's the only use-of-force complaint leveled against him.
  • He had been with the department for nearly seven years and had faced 12 investigations. He was exonerated in nine of them.
https://www.insider.com/garrett-rol...ooks-shooting-reprimanded-use-of-force-2020-6

The video shows that after firing the taser, Brooks turns around and is running away. So no immediate threat to an officer, from a man who basically is being pursued because he resisted arrest for a "suspected" DUI. They can't claim outstanding warrants, because we'd have already heard about that if he was someone with warrants...

You have to weigh the potential charges and decide if the attempt to escape DUI warrants being shot dead. And while Brooks exercised poor judgment, I also think you have to weigh the history of some black civilians who have been arrested over traffic violations in the South, when evaluating his possible state of mind. In that regard, someone like Sandra Bland comes to mind.

And contrast this case where a man is shot dead over a DUI with the recent arrest of a guy like Carrillo in CA who was captured without incident despite shooting 2 cops in ambush-style... I just don't see the justification for the use of deadly force when the worst outcome would have been a suspected drunk escaping on foot. They had run his ID and knew where he lived. What's the urgency to "take the shot"?

Why didn’t the cops press the pause button?

I agree that the situation involves many complexities. He didn't deserve to die. He also shouldn't have resisted arrest (we now know why he did). Should the cop have shot to wound, considering the circumstances (perhaps that is an unreasonable request given the intense pace at which things transpired)? If the cops let him go, where do you draw the line?

shoot to wound? Come on bro, you aim for center mass

Really good of them to kick him too after they shot him in the back. Just in case he wasn’t dead yet.

Why don’t the cops let him go and pick him up tomorrow ? They have his car, his address, his sister’s address?

Do you approve a shooting someone in the back in these situations?
If they assault policeman while drunk, steal their weapon, & attempt to use it on them, then yes. It’s natural selection at that point. The world is a better place with him dead...

Reactions: StelioKantos
Why don’t the cops let him go and pick him up tomorrow ? They have his car, his address, his sister’s address?

Because their job is to uphold the law? That's not really doing so. Does it also send a message that you are free to run away without consequence?

Reactions: StelioKantos
Amazing.
We learn at a young age and this is some elementary shit.
Don’t resist the police
Don’t fight with the police
Don’t try to take weapons from police
Don’t run from police
While your running don’t fire the weapon you just stole from the police at the police

Failed, failed, failed. What am I missing here?

Do we really need to do a google search and link various other accounts of suspects who have resisted arrest for much more serious offenses, and somehow been arrested or even escaped without being shot in the back? The guy was slightly inebriated and not exactly in the most alert of mental states.

Do you actually think one of these younger cops couldn't have eventually run him down without the need to shoot him in the back TWICE? And what danger did he pose? They knew where he lived, and they had his car. Not really much woods to run into and evade cops indefinitely...

We aren't talking a wanted felon-just a guy who was slightly over the limit and fell asleep in his car. He wasn't even behind the wheel of a car to pose a driving danger, he was running away. Would you want someone you cared about shot for a momentary lapse of judgment?

Do we really need to do a google search and link various other accounts of suspects who have resisted arrest for much more serious offenses, and somehow been arrested or even escaped without being shot in the back? The guy was slightly inebriated and not exactly in the most alert of mental states.

Do you actually think one of these younger cops couldn't have eventually run him down without the need to shoot him in the back TWICE? And what danger did he pose? They knew where he lived, and they had his car. Not really much woods to run into and evade cops indefinitely...

We aren't talking a wanted felon-just a guy who was slightly over the limit and fell asleep in his car. He wasn't even behind the wheel of a car to pose a driving danger, he was running away. Would you want someone you cared about shot for a momentary lapse of judgment?

he was alert enough to beat up two cops

who knows what further danger to the surrounding community he could pose, he just crossed a serious line attacking two cops

Because their job is to uphold the law? That's not really doing so. Does it also send a message that you are free to run away without consequence?

Yeah, because that never happens and cops ALWAYS shoot suspected drunks in the back...Some of you are really reaching here to justify shooting someone over a momentary lapse of judgment...

I’m sure there’s no chance he’d engage in any other criminal behavior in the meantime lol. How dumb...

Who painted him as Mother Teresa? You should really educate yourself about fight and flight. That’s an embarrassing lack of knowledge there. Several good books I could refer you to. But go ahead and know it all with your white perspective.

Yeah, because that never happens and cops ALWAYS shoot suspected drunks in the back...Some of you are really reaching here to justify shooting someone over a momentary lapse of judgment...
Momentary lapse of judgement is a dui.

momentary lapse of judgement is NOT attacking two cops for arresting you for said dui

Reactions: HillzHoozier
I’m sure there’s no chance he’d engage in any other criminal behavior in the meantime lol. How dumb...
Yeah I’m pretty sure he would have gone out and murdered someone in 8 hours. Speaking of dumb...lol

Who painted him as Mother Teresa? You should really educate yourself about fight and flight. That’s an embarrassing lack of knowledge there. Several good books I could refer you to. But go ahead and know it all with your white perspective.

furthering your racist narrative I see

oh I’m sure, but I saw the video I get pleasure knowing he suffered a little

So you get your jollies from seeing suspected DUIs in Carmel get roughed up? I mean I can almost see that if the guy was driving and posing a menace. But they basically woke him up for sleeping in his car...

“Lapse of judgement” = assaulting two officers & attempting to injure them with a weapon. That’s rich...

So you get your jollies from seeing suspected DUIs in Carmel get roughed up? I mean I can almost see that if the guy was driving and posing a menace. But they basically woke him up for sleeping in his car...

Nobody here is stupid enough to do what he did, he was a moron

Yeah I’m pretty sure he would have gone out and murdered someone in 8 hours. Speaking of dumb...lol
Because murder is the only crime worth preventing. He probably would have only beaten his kids again. Just another momentary lapse of judgement, no big deal...

Great points. I do not believe the guy should have been shot, he should still be alive.
I also believe the police officer should have never been put in that position.

You simple can’t ignore this mans actions. I can tell you it won’t be ignored in a court of law.

Yes, the highest standard should come from the police, but sometimes bad shit happens. Again, my feelings are that the vast majority of incidents between the public and the police are handled without issue.

I can’t speak to your comparisons. Each situation is different.

Part of the reform from police should include:
Yearly physical capability tests. They complete a physical test from academy and to my understanding nothing thereafter.
Constant training in regards to physical and mental situations. Stress test
Sabbaticals every two years or some term deemed necessary to clear their minds.

How much training do the police really get on a yearly basis? My guess, not nearly enough.

Stop pretending like this was a black and white (contextually speaking), situation. This wasn't George Floyd. This guy resisted arrest, acquired a weapon from police, etc.

I already said he didn't deserve to be shot, but your inability to view things from multiple perspectives is quite detrimental for productive discussion.

I find it interesting how often people try to justify police shootings by pointing out all the bad things the deceased was doing. Perhaps some reminders for those who aren't clear on the requirements of the Fourth Amendment:

1. Cops are not allowed to kill you for being drunk.
2. Cops are not allowed to kill you for resisting arrest.
3. Cops are not allowed to kill you for stealing, even if you steal from the cops.
4. Cops are not allowed to kill you for trying to escape.

Cops are allowed to kill you if and only if a reasonable officer in that situation would think you pose a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the officer or others, or in the case of someone trying to escape, if and only if a reasonable officer in that situation would think that the escape would pose a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the public.

In this case, it might be possible that the officers in question have a defense on this point, if the taser the deceased stole can be considered a deadly weapon. According to Georgia lawyers who have opined on the subject, a taser is only sometimes considered a deadly weapon, depending on the circumstances of its use.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
“Lapse of judgement” = assaulting two officers & attempting to injure them with a weapon. That’s rich...
”Assaulting two officers”... looked like Ultimate Warrior vs Bobby the Brain and Elizabeth. I can see why they felt threatened even though he was running from them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT