ADVERTISEMENT

These Chicago Cubs are really scrappy…

Phi
PHI’s not falling to 6. Plausible CHC could make a run to catch SF (they do play at Wrigley next month). But they strike out way too much.

The real problem for the Cubs is the last week when they go to ATL and MIL. That’s where they’re gonna wish they hadn’t blown games like last night (not to mention a bunch of games they lost earlier because they had a closer who couldn’t retire a statue), since those are games they’ll likely have to chase. Doable? Yes. Difficulty? Very.
The Phil's can definitely fall to six. 2 weeks ago the slipped into 7th for a day or two before Miami went on this losing streak. My wife has gotten into baseball this year so I have watched about 80 of their games this year. Their best pitcher most this year started the season in AAA. They have a 6 man rotation now, and their leadoff hitter is hitting .185.

True, but I look at that schedule, and it's not really that daunting. MIN, @TOR (in the back half of what I call a Woolery [two and two]), @WSH, SF, STL, LAA, @MIL, @SD, MIA, ATL (four games), @STL, @ATL, NYM (four games), PIT, @NYM. Most of those teams are very beatable.

Yes, they have to prove it on the field, but I like their chances.

True, but I look at that schedule, and it's not really that daunting. MIN, @TOR (in the back half of what I call a Woolery [two and two]), @WSH, SF, STL, LAA, @MIL, @SD, MIA, ATL (four games), @STL, @ATL, NYM (four games), PIT, @NYM. Most of those teams are very beatable.

Yes, they have to prove it on the field, but I like their chances.
Yeah they had the most post all-star home games in the league, I think, which is useful for a struggling offense, and their offense has been better in the last 10 days.

They also slept through April and may, as though everyone was going to roll over because they won a pennant last year. They were good last year, and the Cubs weren't, and the Phillies went 0-7 against them. Lolz. They lost a series to the Pirates last week because they stunk up the joint for a couple of games. Inconsistent focus.

Their outfield defense was so bad that they called up a 22 year old prospect straight from AA to play center because defense is his only MLB-ready tool.

Well, the Bengals ownership used to be even worse. I guess somehow they lucked into Joe Burrow, and maybe have now decided to compete. Maybe Mike Brown's kids are less cheap than Mike Brown?
Lions fan here. I know that pain. Lions owner kid is doing a lot better than her Mama did with it.

Maybe it's the same for the Bengals. They don't seem as cheap as the old days.

I grew up a mid-level Cubs fan. (Meaning I was 2-3 hours away and rooted more Cubs than Sox, but born in Pittsburgh I was more Pirates.) Don't follow baseball nearly as much but now I'm Tigers (Dad was born in Mich and a Tigers fan, until he passed last year we would often watch games together.) and Cubs when I do pay attention.

Last edited:
I
Lions fan here. I know that pain. Lions owner kid is doing a lot better than her Mama did with it.

Maybe it's the same for the Bengals. They don't seem as cheap as the old days.

I grew up a mid-level Cubs fan. (Meaning I was 2-3 hours away and rooted more Cubs than Sox, but born in Pittsburgh I was more Pirates.) Don't follow baseball nearly as much but now I'm Tigers (Dad was born in Mich and a Tigers fan, until he passed last year we would often watch games together.) and Cubs when I do pay attention.
I became a Cubs fan in 78 when we got WGN in Washington IN. My Dad was a Boston Red Sox fan because he adored Ted Williams when he was a kid. We used to watch baseball games on Saturdays together. Sports brings good memories especially between father and son. Today I live among Pirate fans who are pretty intense.

Reactions: OpenWheels
I
I became a Cubs fan in 78 when we got WGN in Washington IN.
Goshen, IN. We moved there from Pittsburgh when I was 6. About 5 years later when I started following baseball was the good Pittsburgh 1978, 1979 Stargell, Parker, Candelaria 'we are family' team, so probably why I became a fan of theirs.
I would listen to Cubs games on the radio though. Didn't have much to root for except maybe Dave Kingman would hit one out, LOL. Mid-80s they got better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT