ADVERTISEMENT

The USS Indiana in action

Thomtar

Freshman
Dec 3, 2016
For the youngsters among us, you know those bits of gun-metal gray U.S. Navy ship that stands outside Memorial Stadium? They are from the USS Indiana, an honest-to-goodness World War II-era battleship. Here is a video from the days when those bits were properly assembled. This video is from April 1943 and the aerial combat scene is actual, World War II combat.

Enjoy!

Here is a video of the USS Indiana steaming her way through a June, 1945 hurricane:

It'd be cool for someone in the AD/Cuban Center to edit a video together and put a little display near the ship on the West entrance showing some of this footage. You'd just have to turn it on for game days.

Absolutely awesome! Thanks so much for posting. I have always been a student of the history of WWII...these are beautiful archive films. Displaying them as Fro mentioned sounds like a great idea.

That's a great idea! (A short video)
My grandsons would love something like that!

You'd need to put it in a weather proof, kid proof, opposing fan proof (or in other words, complete idiot proof i.e. "the O$U & pu fan proof) lock box (which could just be rolled out and locked down into place on special occasions & game days.

Rechargeable battery run: so no one finds a way to electrocute themselves.
We'll let our Rose Hulman engineers figure out the details...

That's a great idea! (A short video)
My grandsons would love something like that!

You'd need to put it in a weather proof, kid proof, opposing fan proof (or in other words, complete idiot proof i.e. "the O$U & pu fan proof) lock box (which could just be rolled out and locked down into place on special occasions & game days.

Rechargeable battery run: so no one finds a way to electrocute themselves.
We'll let our Rose Hulman engineers figure out the details...

I gotta admit, I love the idea! But I worry about weather-proofing and idiot-proofing the contraption, too.

I gotta admit, I love the idea! But I worry about weather-proofing and idiot-proofing the contraption, too.

Thanks. Museums do this kind of stuff all the time, so it wouldn't be hard to protect a screen and provide power to it. I'm sure it could be built into a wall or could be something that looks nice that they just wheel out on Gamedays. Heck, they could build a hallway under the entrance steps somewhere and make a whole mini-exhibit if they wanted to go all-out.

I know there's a dedication sign nearby, but I think a little video running would make folks appreciate it more, especially as we get farther out from World War II and lose the remaining vets who fought in that conflict.

Thanks. Museums do this kind of stuff all the time, so it wouldn't be hard to protect a screen and provide power to it. I'm sure it could be built into a wall or could be something that looks nice that they just wheel out on Gamedays. Heck, they could build a hallway under the entrance steps somewhere and make a whole mini-exhibit if they wanted to go all-out.

I know there's a dedication sign nearby, but I think a little video running would make folks appreciate it more, especially as we get farther out from World War II and lose the remaining vets who fought in that conflict.

All are nice ideas but, I have a feeling that if we want this thing to actually be used, it has to be among or at least right next to the gun turrets and prow. And I don't know that a mobile screen is a good idea; people who are there on game day have something else on their minds and are probably more likely to ignore the display. But, in all fairness, do we have any idea how many people stop and interact with the display as it is, now versus how many people just file by on their way to their seats or back to their cars?

Then at the very least an inside the Hall site would work too.

I'd like to think that is a plausible idea but the USS Indiana display is on Memorial Stadium's west side and Assembly Hall and/or Cook Hall is not only on the east side but across two parking lots. I'm afraid the crowd will simply be in the wrong place to use the video machine. I really think the video machine has to be part of the USS Indiana display -- all together in one, easy-to-visit location.

How about both: one just inside the prow of the ship itself (that would provide a little year around weather cover), that would be a little lower in height, targeted toward ages 4 thru 11, and a normal height one, targeted towards ages 12 thru 99 years of age.

You could site the last one just inside the new South End Zone structure..., or, even better, put it in a) decent looking) small shed like enclosure just below the big IU directly behind prow itself.

Let's make it happen.

Reactions: Thomtar
How about both: one just inside the prow of the ship itself (that would provide a little year around weather cover), that would be a little lower in height, targeted toward ages 4 thru 11, and a normal height one, targeted towards ages 12 thru 99 years of age.

You could site the last one just inside the new South End Zone structure..., or, even better, put it in a) decent looking) small shed like enclosure just below the big IU directly behind prow itself.

Let's make it happen.
I'd like to think that is a plausible idea but the USS Indiana display is on Memorial Stadium's west side and Assembly Hall and/or Cook Hall is not only on the east side but across two parking lots. I'm afraid the crowd will simply be in the wrong place to use the video machine. I really think the video machine has to be part of the USS Indiana display -- all together in one, easy-to-visit location.
I like this idea. They could do it up in Henke Hall at the stadium or in the new SEZ concourse. I'm sure they could probably put it outside too.

Reactions: 10yrProject

Let's make it happen.

10year, you may be a frickin' genius! Now, does anyone here know anyone on the Athletic Department marketing team or in facilities?

This could be done even easier (and cheaper), simply by putting up a nice plaque with pictures and explanatory text, and with a QR code linking to the video. Since damn near everyone carries a computer in his pocket, there's no need to duplicate the display hardware. Just link to it.

This could be done even easier (and cheaper), simply by putting up a nice plaque with pictures and explanatory text, and with a QR code linking to the video. Since damn near everyone carries a computer in his pocket, there's no need to duplicate the display hardware. Just link to it.

Ummmm. I don't. I don't carry a computer in my pocket -- and, yes, I realize you are talking about a smart phone. I don't carry one of those, either. In all fairness, I may be the exception who proves your rule, though. That could well be an idea worth thinking about. Now, do we have any idea how many people bring their smart phones to football games? Please understand I'm not saying they don't -- I'm saying I have no idea if they do or not and if they do, how many of them do.

Ummmm. I don't. I don't carry a computer in my pocket -- and, yes, I realize you are talking about a smart phone. I don't carry one of those, either. In all fairness, I may be the exception who proves your rule, though. That could well be an idea worth thinking about. Now, do we have any idea how many people bring their smart phones to football games? Please understand I'm not saying they don't -- I'm saying I have no idea if they do or not and if they do, how many of them do.
I would say most people at the games have smart phones.

I would say most people at the games have smart phones.

You may well be right. While I don't know how many do, I do know that updating Wi-Fi access is an important part of new stadium and arena planning and stadium and arena remodels. There must be a reason for this. So, you may have offered a great answer. But, what do we do about technopeasants like me who don't have a smart phone? I think it's fair to say that an important part of IU's tradition is that it is available to every single Hoosier who wants to take advantage of her amenities and assets. Why do we want to exclude anyone from this?

Ummmm. I don't. I don't carry a computer in my pocket -- and, yes, I realize you are talking about a smart phone. I don't carry one of those, either.
Neither do I. Dumb TracFone for me. But I'm a real oddball; a Linux geek without a smart phone and no Facebook account.
Now, do we have any idea how many people bring their smart phones to football games? Please understand I'm not saying they don't -- I'm saying I have no idea if they do or not and if they do, how many of them do.
All of them.

But, what do we do about technopeasants like me who don't have a smart phone? I think it's fair to say that an important part of IU's tradition is that it is available to every single Hoosier who wants to take advantage of her amenities and assets. Why do we want to exclude anyone from this?
Us fossils aren't owed anything. It's not like we're disabled and people have to make an accommodation for us.

My idea would be dirt cheap to implement and would expose the younger set to what is now becoming ancient history. Glass could make it happen with a couple phone calls and an email or two.

First: Thomtar, all thanks go to yourself & Fro ( you for the OP & Fro the idea that I just elaborated on.

Next: The QR code plaque idea is perfect for the 12 and over crowd but I still like some sort of small audio-visual presentation housed just under the prow itself for the 4-11 age group.

Nice work all. Let's hope Fred or one of his staff occasionally reads this board...​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT