ADVERTISEMENT

The Replacement Thread---Upgrade or Downgrade

The first replacement is in. I think Justice Ellison is probably an upgrade over Howland. Not as much power, but a lot more wiggle and breakaway burst.
I’m more concerned about replacing OLs like C Smith and Bedford than I am about RBs.

Maybe Bostad can get the 2 Wisconsin OLs to visit. There’s also a Northwestern OL from the state of Michigan who may be worth a look, as well as a Vandy OL from Chicago, among others.

I’m more concerned about replacing OLs like C Smith and Bedford than I am about RBs.

Maybe Bostad can get the 2 Wisconsin OLs to visit. There’s also a Northwestern OL from the state of Michigan who may be worth a look, as well as a Vandy OL from Chicago, among others.
With Bostad being so highly regarded, I'm surprised that these guys didn't stick. Couple that with the fact that they progressed as the season went along, it's fairly surprising.

Exactly. It all starts up front... That's where we need to focus our efforts.

My kingdom for an elite OL!

giphy.gif

Depends how they're used. Howland was a good back.

On of the JMU beat writers said Cignetti and Shanahan actually like to run the ball - but when the JMU running game was very poor and they had a good QB they made an about face mid-season or early season to a more pass oriented attack, and were successful. (Makes me nervous... We fired an OC that couldn't run the ball. Of course Bell couldn't call a pass oriented offense either.)

So, Howland is a great fit for a power run game. I think he showed he's an excellent back. Once Carey was calling plays. Sad to lose him.

But maybe Ellison is more versatile as a pass catcher and suits Shanahan's offense. Little way to know yet. I'm voting slight upgrade. (Wearing my Hoosier fan glasses.)

On of the JMU beat writers said Cignetti and Shanahan actually like to run the ball - but when the JMU running game was very poor and they had a good QB they made an about face mid-season or early season to a more pass oriented attack, and were successful. (Makes me nervous... We fired an OC that couldn't run the ball. Of course Bell couldn't call a pass oriented offense either.)

So, Howland is a great fit for a power run game. I think he showed he's an excellent back. Once Carey was calling plays. Sad to lose him.

But maybe Ellison is more versatile as a pass catcher and suits Shanahan's offense. Little way to know yet. I'm voting slight upgrade. (Wearing my Hoosier fan glasses.)
Howland chose to leave the new administration. Must not have seen a future here for him. I don't think he is a big money guy so I doubt that is it.

Ellison wants to be here.

Coming out of high school, Ellison was labeled a receiver who got moved to running back, so he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

With Bostad being so highly regarded, I'm surprised that these guys didn't stick. Couple that with the fact that they progressed as the season went along, it's fairly surprising.
I‘m not supri$ed that $mith is leaving as he is in demand $$$ and his financial development at other $chool$ will exceed his up$%ide at IU.

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe
Alright the Quarterback is in. I'd have to say that Rourke is at least as good as Sorsby. So we are even or up at Running Back and Even or Up at Quarterback. My guess is defense gets an injection from JMU that puts it in a good place, but offensive line is going to be a challenge. With McCauley the receiving corps should end up in great shape.

Alright the Quarterback is in. I'd have to say that Rourke is at least as good as Sorsby. So we are even or up at Running Back and Even or Up at Quarterback. My guess is defense gets an injection from JMU that puts it in a good place, but offensive line is going to be a challenge. With McCauley the receiving corps should end up in great shape.
I believe Rourke is an major upgrade over Sorsby (and I liked Sorsby).

Rourke appears to see the whole field and is more accurate on a consistent basis than Sorsby and also seems to match his escape ability...

Barring injury I think we've got a QB in Rourke who's at the apex of his college career rather than one still mastering the learning curve...

Rourke appears to see the whole field and is more accurate on a consistent basis than Sorsby and also seems to match his escape ability...

Barring injury I think we've got a QB in Rourke who's at the apex of his college career rather than one still mastering the learning curve...
I'd agree with that.

I would agree totally on the offensive line part. I honestly was very glad to see Bedford move on!

I agree!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT