ADVERTISEMENT

The New York Times Crossword Puzzle

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Last Christmas one of my nephews turned me on to the NYT crossword puzzle app. I've done the puzzle every day since. For those in the know, it starts relatively easy on Monday but gets progressively harder day by day. On Monday I can do it in eight to twelve minutes with no cheating, but by Friday it can take me an hour and a half with substantial cheating.

If anyone's still reading, good crossword puzzles don't just test vocabulary. There's also a learned set of skills to negotiate the clues. Apart from developing a crossword vocabulary of words puzzle writers like, this often involves squinting really hard at each individual word in the clue to run through each possible meaning of that word, while recalling that by Friday some elements of the clues are meant to distract you.

Anyway, I can't remember anyone ever posting about crossword puzzles here. So you're all it.

Last Christmas one of my nephews turned me on to the NYT crossword puzzle app. I've done the puzzle every day since. For those in the know, it starts relatively easy on Monday but gets progressively harder day by day. On Monday I can do it in eight to twelve minutes with no cheating, but by Friday it can take me an hour and a half with substantial cheating.

If anyone's still reading, good crossword puzzles don't just test vocabulary. There's also a learned set of skills to negotiate the clues. Apart from developing a crossword vocabulary of words puzzle writers like, this often involves squinting really hard at each individual word in the clue to run through each possible meaning of that word, while recalling that by Friday some elements of the clues are meant to distract you.

Anyway, I can't remember anyone ever posting about crossword puzzles here. So you're all it.
I'm a huge crossword fan. In fact, I've spent quite a bit of time on crossword construction. My goal is to have a puzzle published in the NYT some day.

For those who don't know, the NYT, thanks to crossword editor and IU alum Will Shortz, is the pinnacle of the crossword universe. The LAT does a good job, and a few weekly mags also have good puzzles, but no cruciverbalist (that's the word) worth his salt would ever put any puzzle on the pedestal occupied by the NYT.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I'm a huge crossword fan. In fact, I've spent quite a bit of time on crossword construction. My goal is to have a puzzle published in the NYT some day.

For those who don't know, the NYT, thanks to crossword editor and IU alum Will Shortz, is the pinnacle of the crossword universe. The LAT does a good job, and a few weekly mags also have good puzzles, but no cruciverbalist (that's the word) worth his salt would ever put any puzzle on the pedestal occupied by the NYT.
I wouldn't begin to know how to create a crossword puzzle, but I admire the consistency and the sophistication of the NYT puzzles. They're a thing you can learn to do -- eventually, perhaps, without cheating.

I wouldn't begin to know how to create a crossword puzzle, but I admire the consistency and the sophistication of the NYT puzzles. They're a thing you can learn to do -- eventually, perhaps, without cheating.
They are significantly more difficult than other options. A Friday LAT puzzle is roughly equivalent to a Wednesday NYT puzzle. A Saturday NYT puzzle has no peer. Those are practically impossible.

I love the NYT crossword. I’m getting way better at them too and can pretty regularly finish Friday’s and Saturday’s in under 45 minutes. That sounds like a brag (and i’ll use it as such for those who don’t know better), but definitely a lot of that is increasing familiarity with the NYT’s approach.

I love the NYT crossword. I’m getting way better at them too and can pretty regularly finish Friday’s and Saturday’s in under 45 minutes. That sounds like a brag (and i’ll use it as such for those who don’t know better), but definitely a lot of that is increasing familiarity with the NYT’s approach.
One thing I've learned to do when I'm really stuck (apart from cheating) is to put the puzzle down and come back to it later. Often the problem is that I've developed tunnel vision about a particular clue, and my brain needs a fresh look.

Reactions: Thyrsis
One thing I've learned to do when I'm really stuck (apart from cheating) is to put the puzzle down and come back to it later. Often the problem is that I've developed tunnel vision about a particular clue, and my brain needs a fresh look.
The kenken puzzles are pretty good too, by the way.

Have you seen Wordplay? Add it to your list if not. You'll love it.

Last edited:

Slight hijack. I do daily chess puzzles and a visit couple of apps that accumulate a score for me. The funny thing about this is that I'll go days where every puzzle put up seem easy and I quickly see the solution and other days I struggle to see the solution for even the "easy" ones. I guess it's my biorhythms or something.

I have been working them since I was about 12. I was a paperboy and worked them in our family's paper at 6:30 a.m. or so (while eating breakfast) before I delivered my customers' papers.

I try to work the LA Times crossword every day 100% without help.

The hardest one, to me, remains the Times of London crosswrd, which seems to have intersections only every 10 boxes or so.

Last edited:
Slight hijack. I do daily chess puzzles and a visit couple of apps that accumulate a score for me. The funny thing about this is that I'll go days where every puzzle put up seem easy and I quickly see the solution and other days I struggle to see the solution for even the "easy" ones. I guess it's my biorhythms or something.
I don't play much chess at all. I think I'm either not smart enough for it or it simply requires a skill set that's not my strong suit. I don't say that with any clear basis so maybe I just find it intimidating. Still, I'm sticking with crosswords for now unless I find some workable entry point for chess. (I do find online Texas Hold Em interesting, tho).

I am thinking about trying to teach myself to play piano (on a very different tangent).

I don't play much chess at all. I think I'm either not smart enough for it or it simply requires a skill set that's not my strong suit. I don't say that with any clear basis so maybe I just find it intimidating. Still, I'm sticking with crosswords for now unless I find some workable entry point for chess. (I do find online Texas Hold Em interesting, tho).

I am thinking about trying to teach myself to play piano (on a very different tangent).

I know what you mean. I find my phone chess app can be intimidating simply the way it says "checkmate". ;)

I usually buy the paperback version, but I just downloaded it. It's supposed to be good for an aging brain...and god knows I need help. People Magazine's crossword is usually a challenge for me!

Thanks for the tip.

Good news. The Times is increasing compensation for crossword developers or however they are titled.

Thanks for nuttin Rock. I now have a NY Times digital subscription with the crossword puzzle app. And it’s all thanks to your post

Reactions: Rockfish1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT