ADVERTISEMENT

The new test of Evangelical hypocrisy

This is only surprising if you’re starting from the viewpoint that the evangelicals weren’t full of shit from the get go.
In my mind showing the lack of moral fiber among evangelicals and religious types in general is one of the items on the very short list of trump's accomplishments. (VPM would be a prime example)

Reactions: sglowrider
Reactions: Lucy01
It's not a leftist rabbit hole. Evangelicals have a problem right now. Ignoring it only makes it worse.

What's going to be hilarious (and has already started) is watching the Evangelicals and far right crusaders try to hide their glee and downplay the possibility of Roe v Wade being overturned...

"Tony Perkins, who leads the socially conservative Family Research Council, said abortion was simply "a factor" in evangelicals' excitement over a more conservative Supreme Court. He suggested that public opinion was already shifting against abortion rights, although that's not true of the Roe v. Wade ruling, which has become slightly more popular over time."

Jerry Falwell Jr wants to play us for fools...

"What people don't understand is that if you overturn Roe v. Wade, all that does is give the states the right to decide whether abortion is legal or illegal," Falwell told The Associated Press in an interview. "My guess is that there'd probably be less than 20 states that would make abortion illegal if given that right."

Falwell added: "In the '70s, I don't know how many states had abortion illegal before Roe v. Wade, but it won't be near as many this time."

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...eaders-downplay-potential-roe-v-wade-reversal

It's not a leftist rabbit hole. Evangelicals have a problem right now. Ignoring it only makes it worse.

For someone who thinks they are so smart is really showing their stupidity on this subject. Every election since the dawn of America, Evangelicals as you say, have been voting for corrupt, imperfect, sinful people.

The left has a problem right now. You will be defeated in November. You know it. America knows who and what you are. No way you win on your actual platform. No hiding anymore who you really are.

Cheers.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
For someone who thinks they are so smart is really showing their stupidity on this subject. Every election since the dawn of America, Evangelicals as you say, have been voting for corrupt, imperfect, sinful people.

The left has a problem right now. You will be defeated in November. You know it. America knows who and what you are. No way you win on your actual platform. No hiding anymore who you really are.

Cheers.

Amen, great post. The Dems are being readicalized from within and are very likely to hand the Mid terms to the Reps on a silver platter even though the Reps are working hard to throw it back in their face. What non believers continue to do is think they are in control of this process when in fact none of us are in control of it.

https://apnews.com/f4145e11b94c413c823c64c3ef908c6c

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
What's going to be hilarious (and has already started) is watching the Evangelicals and far right crusaders try to hide their glee and downplay the possibility of Roe v Wade being overturned...

"Tony Perkins, who leads the socially conservative Family Research Council, said abortion was simply "a factor" in evangelicals' excitement over a more conservative Supreme Court. He suggested that public opinion was already shifting against abortion rights, although that's not true of the Roe v. Wade ruling, which has become slightly more popular over time."

Jerry Falwell Jr wants to play us for fools...

"What people don't understand is that if you overturn Roe v. Wade, all that does is give the states the right to decide whether abortion is legal or illegal," Falwell told The Associated Press in an interview. "My guess is that there'd probably be less than 20 states that would make abortion illegal if given that right."

Falwell added: "In the '70s, I don't know how many states had abortion illegal before Roe v. Wade, but it won't be near as many this time."

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...eaders-downplay-potential-roe-v-wade-reversal

What is the problem with Jr Falwell’s statement? He is right.

FWIW I don’t think there will be 5 votes to overrule Roe. Roberts will be the new Kennedy and I doubt he would vote to overturn. And Gorsuch is iffy too. He is very strong on limiting the reach and scope of government. Remember Gorsuch sided with the four liberals on a 5-4 immigration case.

I think the liberal freakout about the court is way overdone. More exploding heads.

Reactions: 76-1

FWIW I don’t think there will be 5 votes to overrule Roe. Roberts will be the new Kennedy and I doubt he would vote to overturn. And Gorsuch is iffy too. He is very strong on limiting the reach and scope of government. Remember Gorsuch sided with the four liberals on a 5-4 immigration case.

I think the liberal freakout about the court is way overdone. More exploding heads.
The mouth pieces of the left have to scream on social issues. They have no platform and need panic and major millions of contributions from leftists - Steyer, Soros, et al - to compete. They use race, and specific demographics to attempt to drive their turnouts with fear. So, even if they don't believe that Roe will be reversed, they have to sell it to their base along with their regular litany of false claims.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01

So does "giving it to the states" mean allowing for a statewide vote, or allowing largely gerrymandered legislatures in states like NC,PA and WI to craft a bill and vote on it? Which do you think Falwell prefers, with polling consistently showing 2/3 of Americans are opposed to overturning Roe?

Most of these current GOP controlled legislatures are a result of a concentrated effort to take advantage of low turnout in 2010, and then gerrymanders to keep a vocal minority in power. PA, for example, has more than a million more Dems registered than Pubs and was a solidly BLUE state up until 2016. Yet somehow despite having a Dem Gov and 2 Dem senators they somehow managed to have a Congressional delegation where Pubs (including Lamb's result) have a 60% share of the House seats. Exactly how does that happen ?

Btw, all of those Pub gerrymanders occurred at a time when Roe was the Law of the Land, so allowing heavily gerrymandered State Legislatures to draft anti- Roe legislation is beyond unfair and ludicrous. But again I'm willing to bet Falwell is not advocating for "statewide elections"...

So does "giving it to the states" mean allowing for a statewide vote, or allowing largely gerrymandered legislatures in states like NC,PA and WI to craft a bill and vote on it? Which do you think Falwell prefers, with polling consistently showing 2/3 of Americans are opposed to overturning Roe?

Most of these current GOP controlled legislatures are a result of a concentrated effort to take advantage of low turnout in 2010, and then gerrymanders to keep a vocal minority in power. PA, for example, has more than a million more Dems registered than Pubs and was a solidly BLUE state up until 2016. Yet somehow despite having a Dem Gov and 2 Dem senators they somehow managed to have a Congressional delegation where Pubs (including Lamb's result) have a 60% share of the House seats. Exactly how does that happen ?

Btw, all of those Pub gerrymanders occurred at a time when Roe was the Law of the Land, so allowing heavily gerrymandered State Legislatures to draft anti- Roe legislation is beyond unfair and ludicrous. But again I'm willing to bet Falwell is not advocating for "statewide elections"...

You are correct with all your observations. Your concern rests on the notion that the Supreme Court should set public policy, not the elected representatives whether or not they are gerrymandered into office. This idea is the basis for the liberal freakout that we see all over the place since Kennedy's announcement. For various reasons, SCOTUS has become the last stop for not only constitutional law, but for some areas of public policy.

I notice that no one is defending Hof as a good candidate or a good person. I suspect that's because he's neither. I would concur with that sentiment.

LOL. State legislative races are a little off my radar.

Evangelicals have a lot of problems and they all know it. That is the basis of faith. Fortunately(tic) all of the non- evangelicals are perfect and have no issues. Congrats on being perfect!
Huh? I'm far from perfect. But my own imperfections have no bearing on the current Evangelical crisis. See what happened during this month's annual Southern Baptist Convention.

I don't want Roe overturned (yet). I have watched for years to see how the Progressives do these things. Overturning Roe means throwing the frog into an already boiling pot. I want to turn the heat up slowly...

We can start with destroying funding to Planned Parenthood as long as they house their abortion function with their other functions and work on restricting abortions to the first trimester. There is a playbook to follow provided by our opponents.

I don't want Roe overturned (yet). I have watched for years to see how the Progressives do these things. Overturning Roe means throwing the frog into an already boiling pot. I want to turn the heat up slowly...

We can start with destroying funding to Planned Parenthood as long as they house their abortion function with their other functions and work on restricting abortions to the first trimester. There is a playbook to follow provided by our opponents.
Your playbook might be too slow for the activists. Many seem to be hoping that Kennedy's retirement will lead to a fetal pain or heartbeat law being used as a vehicle to challenge Roe directly within the next few years.

I'm not confident it will work. I think the only surefire votes to overturn Roe are Thomas and Alito.

Your playbook might be too slow for the activists. Many seem to be hoping that Kennedy's retirement will lead to a fetal pain or heartbeat law being used as a vehicle to challenge Roe directly within the next few years.

I'm not confident it will work. I think the only surefire votes to overturn Roe are Thomas and Alito.

Possibly. They need to play the longer game. We have the Supreme Court for awhile now it would appear. A couple of not so crazy things happen and the conservatives on the court could have a 6 to 3 majority. I think a few of those who might be remiss to make that big a change in a 5 to 4 decision may feel more comfortable with a 6 to 3.

Huh? I'm far from perfect. But my own imperfections have no bearing on the current Evangelical crisis. See what happened during this month's annual Southern Baptist Convention.

There is no Evangelical crisis as you call it. We are all sinners. If Christians only voted for sinless people the only one getting votes would be Jesus. So what’s your point?

So what has changed? Here is Graham Franklin on Bill Clinton. Was that perspective correct or what he now says about Donald Trump?

So what has changed? Here is Graham Franklin on Bill Clinton. Was that perspective correct or what he now says about Donald Trump?

I disagree with the statement that it’s nobody’s business what Trump does in his private life.

Going back to Goat’s opening post, his point was the hypocrisy of Christians voting for the owner of a brothel in Nevada, etc. Apparently Goat is saying that the owning a brothel should disqualify Christians from voting for him. If that is the case Goat must be trying to say that running the brothel is a worse sin than those committed by politicians who basically accept bribes and as a result do not represent the people but bow down to big money donors.

I disagree with the statement that it’s nobody’s business what Trump does in his private life.

Going back to Goat’s opening post, his point was the hypocrisy of Christians voting for the owner of a brothel in Nevada, etc. Apparently Goat is saying that the owning a brothel should disqualify Christians from voting for him. If that is the case Goat must be trying to say that running the brothel is a worse sin than those committed by politicians who basically accept bribes and as a result do not represent the people but bow down to big money donors.

I would humbly suggest that owning brothels is not the end of Hof's sins, but rather just the beginning.

Reactions: Bill4411
Possibly. They need to play the longer game. We have the Supreme Court for awhile now it would appear. A couple of not so crazy things happen and the conservatives on the court could have a 6 to 3 majority. I think a few of those who might be remiss to make that big a change in a 5 to 4 decision may feel more comfortable with a 6 to 3.

If the court gets too conservative there will be huge pressure for the Dems to pack it when they get control, so that's an incentive for Roberts and the others to not go crazy.

I would humbly suggest that owning brothels is not the end of Hof's sins, but rather just the beginning.
My dad always said he could never own a brothel, because he would eat up all the profits.

I think what Bruce is trying to say is that he’s a good Christian, but his good Christian values have no influence on how he votes. If his good Christian values did influence his vote, he obviously wouldn’t vote at all because all politicians are awful sinners. Christian values are clearly left outside the voting booth and pure partisanship reigns supreme.

If the court gets too conservative there will be huge pressure for the Dems to pack it when they get control, so that's an incentive for Roberts and the others to not go crazy.

And then the Repiblicans would turn around and pack it again until their numbers exceed those of the Democrats. Listen, there is no rule that says that the court has to have a certain ideological split. If the cards fall so that either Breyer or Ginsburg have to step down, then Democrats will have to live with it. If we ever get to the point where one side packs the court, we might as well get rid of the Court altogether.

Gorsuch would never have been on the Federalist/Heritage list if he wasn't a surefire vote to overturn Roe.
I agree with Goat. Listening to the experts talk about this I get the impression there are never surefire bets. They mentioned a bunch of Republican appointments that have turned out to be liberal on the court.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT