2014 2.5%
2015 2.9%
2016 1.6%
2017 2.2%
2018 2.9%

Since the ending of the Great Recession, the federal deficit:

2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
$679 $485 $438 $585 $665 $779
That recession ended in June 2009. You’re missing some yearly stats.

Reactions: SNU0821
Deregulation.
Got us into the mess that caused the Great Recession. Yeah, going back to that is a stellar plan. /s

Tax cuts.
For the wealthy
Manufacturing jobs.
Huh? How well did that work out for Carrier?
Yep he got his rapist on the bench. That is something he accomplished, have to admit that.
Tougher on immigration.
Completely manufactured "crisis." In fact, illegal immigration was way down when he took office and this wasn't the issue tRump has made it out to be. But you tRumpsters fell for it so it worked for him politically.
Finally having a spine regarding our foreign policies.
He has no foreign policy other than gushing over and sucking up to despot dictators.
It's been pretty night and day since Trump took over
Agree with that. The moment he was inaugurated began period of embarrassment for the USA.

Reactions: meridian
Got us into the mess that caused the Great Recession. Yeah, going back to that is a stellar plan. /s

For the wealthy
Huh? How well did that work out for Carrier?
Yep he got his rapist on the bench. That is something he accomplished, have to admit that.
Completely manufactured "crisis." In fact, illegal immigration was way down when he took office and this wasn't the issue tRump has made it out to be. But you tRumpsters fell for it so it worked for him politically.

He has no foreign policy other than gushing over and sucking up to despot dictators.
Agree with that. The moment he was inaugurated began period of embarrassment for the USA.
Come on man. Lots of that stuff isn't fair to characterize the way you did.

Tax cuts benefitted millions of Americans. Maybe a larger portion to corporations/wealthy, but lots of Americans benefitted. Kavanaugh isn't a rapist. There isn't a shred of evidence that corroborate the stories/lies against him. The manufacturing jobs have helped thousands of Americans. It may not have been perfect in every instance, but more jobs for Americans is a good thing. Immigration is absolutely a crisis. The asylum laws need to be fixed immediately.

I actually was embarrassed pretty much for the entire eight years under Obuma. I thought he was the worst president in my lifetime, and it's not even close.

Come on man. Lots of that stuff isn't fair to characterize the way you did.

Tax cuts benefitted millions of Americans. Maybe a larger portion to corporations/wealthy, but lots of Americans benefitted. Kavanaugh isn't a rapist. There isn't a shred of evidence that corroborate the stories/lies against him. The manufacturing jobs have helped thousands of Americans. It may not have been perfect in every instance, but more jobs for Americans is a good thing. Immigration is absolutely a crisis. The asylum laws need to be fixed immediately.

I actually was embarrassed pretty much for the entire eight years under Obuma. I thought he was the worst president in my lifetime, and it's not even close.
I know many middle-class friends/family who took it on the chin this April due to tRumps tax policy. Meanwhile, the wealthiest at the top benefited. Tell me how that is an advantage to the county, and spare me the "trickle-down" thing.

Yeah, Kavanaugh, if not a rapist (admittedly maybe a strong term I used there, though in reality I believe it to be true) was definitely someone who, while inebriated, took advantage of inebriated females. No doubt about that. And I believe his accuser, Dr. Blasey Ford. If you don't, well....

What manufacturing jobs? I come from decades of manufacturing background. Trump hasn't done shit to bring back those jobs. They're gone.

No, Immigration was actually an issue that was getting much, much better. Now with tRump's erratic knee-jerk reactions to the politics surrounding that issue, things have admittedly gotten worse since he took office.

I know many middle-class friends/family who took it on the chin this April due to tRumps tax policy. Meanwhile, the wealthiest at the top benefited. Tell me how that is an advantage to the county, and spare me the "trickle-down" thing.

Yeah, Kavanaugh, if not a rapist (admittedly maybe a strong term I used there, though in reality I believe it to be true) was definitely someone who, while inebriated, took advantage of inebriated females. No doubt about that. And I believe his accuser, Dr. Blasey Ford. If you don't, well....

What manufacturing jobs? I come from decades of manufacturing background. Trump hasn't done shit to bring back those jobs. They're gone.

No, Immigration was actually an issue that was getting much, much better. Now with tRump's erratic knee-jerk reactions to the politics surrounding that issue, things have admittedly gotten worse since he took office.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/business/economy/income-tax-cut.html

There's an article on the tax cuts. I know plenty of middle class families who benefitted from the tax cuts, especially those with children.

As for Kavanaugh, I conclusion I can draw is that he is a good man based off of his professional life. He's never had one complaint about him from a male or female prior to the Ford allegation. I won't go as far as you did regarding what he did when he was younger because we don't have enough information to do so. In fact, if you go off the information provided, it seems most can't be corroborated which leads me to believe it's false. Regardless, what happened to him was nothing more than partisan politics from the democrats still angry about losing another seat. If it was really about believe all women, then we would have seen much more from the LT. Governor (I believe that was him) who has been accused several times of inappropriate behavior. But, crickets...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/business/economy-manufacturing-jobs-trump.html

Manufacturing jobs have come back under Trump. Will it hold? Time will tell. But to just flat out say they're gone, isn't accurate and Obama's magic wand comment makes him look more foolish than he already does.

Carrier, GM, on and on.

NPR this evening had a story about tariffs and washing machines. Said that 1800 US jobs have been created, at a cost to US consumers of $1.5B. That's $800,000 per job. Year in and year out. Ended with Whirlpool's earnings -- profits over 5 times what they had been previously. I wonder how much of that will make it to the guys on the floor.

Reactions: twenty02

Please give examples. I believe you’re wrong.

SNU the stock market almost tripled under Obama. But nice try.

"My anecdote is bigger that your anecdote."

Stoll does it for a living, so likely more than a few anecdotes.

There are people that paid more under the new tax policy, maybe 10%. 10% paid about the same, 80% got some level of reduction.

If you were an upper middle class taxpayer in a high tax state where you used to deduct a lot of state and local tax you may end up paying more. But most everyone else.... it's basically impossible.

I paid about $4k-5k less, almost entirely due to the child tax credit. It was doubled, pls the income phase out was raised exponentially. So I went from $0 to $4k in tax credit, with 2 kids.

If I didn't have kids, it would have been a blip.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I'd really like to see @SNU0821 actually answer this question, because it's a pretty solid opportunity for him to prove he can actually learn something and admit he was wrong.

It's pointless anyway..... anyone with a brain knows that the stock market happens to a POTUS (actually the business cycle does), not the other way around.

Public policy (in our hyper-incremental system) has very limited impact....and what macro impact it does happens years down the road.

I immediately dismiss anyone that uses economic data points of first years in office.

I personally don't judge Presidents by the economy / stock market at all, as they have basically no control of it. Their biggest imprint is who they end up putting in the Fed. And even they are totally at the whims of the market, in many ways.

I immediately dismiss anyone that uses economic data points of first years in office. (I personally don't judge Presidents by the economy / stock market at all, as they have basically no control of it).
This is true, but SNU obviously does think it's important - when he thinks it supports his side. Now he has a chance to prove he will consistently agree it's important when it supports the other side. Or show himself to be a hypocrite.

My guess is he has already looked up the numbers and decided to ignore your question.

Reactions: MrBing and twenty02
This is true, but SNU obviously does think it's important - when he thinks it supports his side. Now he has a chance to prove he will consistently agree it's important when it supports the other side. Or show himself to be a hypocrite.

My guess is he has already looked up the numbers and decided to ignore your question.

His viewpoints are the norm....that's how partisans behave.

It's rarer to find people that actually debate nuance and policy ideas. I have some good friends that actually enjoy doing that, and they have ended up the people I like the best.

Most in my personal circle are very entrenched in their ideas, from both sides. They all bore me to death (when discussing politics).

Horn many people here are actually open to really discussing issues like this? You call me a hypocrite and I call you the same. I’ve had a few good conversations here where both people on opposite sides concede points, but that’s far from the norm. This place is more of a liberal echo chamber with people complaining about Trump than any real place to discuss politics. I personally get a kick out of how worked up several people get here about every little thing the president or republicans do. And, I know the other side does the exact same thing, so spare me.

All my point is, why would I give in on any point when it’s beyond clear nobody on the other side is willing to do the same?

SNU the stock market almost tripled under Obama. But nice try.
It was also one of the slowest economic recoveries ever. Also, convenient you’re leaving out the context of what happened right before he took office. It’s not like things were great and he generated significant growth based on his policies (LOL).

You’re missing some context here. Par for the course from you. I don’t expect you to understand, actually.

Last edited:
It was also one of the slowest economic recoveries ever. Also, convenient you’re leaving out the context of what happened right before he took office. It’s not like things were great and he generated significant growth based on his policies (LOL).

You’re missing some context here. Par for the course from you. I don’t expect you to understand, actually.
Wasn’t Democrats in control of the house when the stock took a shit when Bush was President?

Wasn’t Democrats in control of the house when the stock took a shit when Bush was President?
Yeah, but there are too many people, including people on both sides, that deserve credit for sending us into the Great Recession.

Horn many people here are actually open to really discussing issues like this? You call me a hypocrite and I call you the same. I’ve had a few good conversations here where both people on opposite sides concede points, but that’s far from the norm. This place is more of a liberal echo chamber with people complaining about Trump than any real place to discuss politics. I personally get a kick out of how worked up several people get here about every little thing the president or republicans do. And, I know the other side does the exact same thing, so spare me.

All my point is, why would I give in on any point when it’s beyond clear nobody on the other side is willing to do the same?
Thanks for proving my point.

Reactions: Lucy01
  1. Ok then.
  2. Who was in charge when the Russians were doing all of the election tampering? Never-Trumpers have this weird alliance with the left that has totally blinded some of you to culpability and wrong doing on the other side. Like, why would the Russians think that there would be little repercussion to tampering? Perhaps the idea that, "Let Vladimir know I will have more flexibility after the election" and "reset buttons" and "looking into Vladimir's soul" might have given the impression that we were weak at a time when the Russians were looking to move into more of a competitor position with the U.S. The Russians were messing with our election before Trump was President, Obama knew and did nothing. And now it is somehow the GOP's fault because orange man bad.
  3. Agree. But let's not pretend that this idiocy is a function solely of GOP voters. I think the number one thing that turns people off is that A)many of the Progressives (including those on this board) are not nearly as smart as they think they are and B) all of the people that they call stupid are aware of it. There is nothing worse than a blow hard know nothing telling you how stupid you are. People are sick of that shit. Trump is President not because people are dumb, he is President because his opposition is a bunch of pricks to anyone who disagrees with them. People got ****ing tired of that routine. Now you can say that is cutting off the nose to spite the face but it was a choice between an asshole who will do about 60% of what I want and a Party that does about nothing I want, pisses down my back, and then berates me for having the temerity to offer even the most milquetoast of protests for that. When you signal repeatedly how much you do not like me, I have zero reason to vote for you.
I do not have much to say on the matter other than everyone's reaction to this has been totally predictable. This board is a reflection of our society at large. When you look close enough, I think it is clear why we are where we are at.
You asked: "Who was in charge when the Russians were doing all of the election tampering?"

The answer is Obama and Trump and possibly Jr. Bush, too.

However, even though the whole world now knows what the Russians did and are still doing, the guy with the greatest ability to prevent it does not want to know or do anything about Russian interference, because he thinks he can deceive people into thinking he won the election on his own.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/24/po...+and+russuan+interference&form=APIPH1&PC=APPL

Yes, Trump's reaction to this issue is wholly predictable (pathetic, too).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT