ADVERTISEMENT

The moral bankruptcy of (certain forms of) conservative both-sidesism on this forum

That’s not the test. I don’t think you understand the issue. Any steel import raises nation security issues cuz it diminishes our steel production capacity.

While I disagree with some of the tariffs, I don’t think size of government is the issue.

I don't think you understand the issues, nor are you interested in understanding the issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/busine...y-threat-on-its-own-us-commerce-secretary/amp

It's rather transparent that you aren't interested in anything more than a cursory level examination of this administration.

On the topic of merit immigration, the point is that the bar they intend to set is so arbitrarily high, that many normally qualified merited immigrants will be restricted. I.e. the bar will be well above that set of other developed countries on which the system is based. They don't want skilled immigrants, rather they want no immigrants. Calling it merit immigration is smart wordsplay for a path to restrict immigration as much as possible.

Bye bye.

Can you guys offer cuts other than defense? We are all ears

That's not where the debate should start. We should pay for the government we have. If one side wants cuts, then debate them during the election, and they'll have a mandate.

That's not where the debate should start. We should pay for the government we have. If one side wants cuts, then debate them during the election, and they'll have a mandate.

I actually agree with that. I think that many of the things that we pay for would be out the door if we actually made the public pay for it instead of pulling out the government credit card.

That’s not the test. I don’t think you understand the issue. Any steel import raises nation security issues cuz it diminishes our steel production capacity.

I don't think you get the issue. Here is an article on steel and military need. It is interesting that in the Gulf War when we decided to armor plate the Humvees, the US domestic companies took longer to do what we wanted than foreign firms would have (had we been allowed to use them). Our problem wasn't steel production, it was specialty steel. The military simply doesn't use the same steel that a bridge uses. I am not sure Trump's blanket steel tariff will impact a niche steel.

In addition, as that article points out, overall we produce as much steel today as we did during WWII. We just need a whole lot fewer workers to produce it.

Reactions: MrBing
I don't think you get the issue. Here is an article on steel and military need. It is interesting that in the Gulf War when we decided to armor plate the Humvees, the US domestic companies took longer to do what we wanted than foreign firms would have (had we been allowed to use them). Our problem wasn't steel production, it was specialty steel. The military simply doesn't use the same steel that a bridge uses. I am not sure Trump's blanket steel tariff will impact a niche steel.

In addition, as that article points out, overall we produce as much steel today as we did during WWII. We just need a whole lot fewer workers to produce it.

I don’t disagree. I commented about the wise-assed comment that Canadian steel in particular was a threat to national security. It isn’t. The national security threat has to do with our reducing domestic production capacity by relying on imports. Steel might not be a good example, but that doesn’t mean the principle doesn’t apply.

Interesting link. However anyone who uses “breathtaking” as an adjective to describe governmental authority loses credibility points in my mind. The word is “plenary”. Let’s check emotionally-laden words at the door.

From the Weekly Standard
Everything we know about the president's base supporters suggests that there is no straw that will break the camel's back—only goalposts, receding constantly to the horizon.​
This is an astonishing statement from the digital editor of one of the most conservative publications out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT