ADVERTISEMENT

The Masks Did Not and Do Not Work

Our immune system does adjust to threats which exist in everyday life.

My concern is about a completely new threat either developed by Mother Nature or an enemy in a laboratory which neither our immune system or existing science can deal with.

When faced with such a threat, how will we as a country deal with it. Given how we dealt with Covid, I am concerned. Concerned by the complete lack of consensus.
Maybe start by being able to trust our officials? They are the ones that eff’d this up from the start. I know it’s probably morbid, and take away the “we developed something” , how many times has the human race went extinct?
But alas, it comes back to our “leaders” using us as pones for their own gain. To a VERY large # of us, that was what covid smelled like from the start.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
Maybe start by being able to trust our officials? They are the ones that eff’d this up from the start. I know it’s probably morbid, and take away the “we developed something” , how many times has the human race went extinct?
But alas, it comes back to our “leaders” using us as pones for their own gain. To a VERY large # of us, that was what covid smelled like from the start.

Because their opinions changed as more facts were known?

Maybe you should believe medical experts over your right wing nut bags who think they knew better.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

Maybe you should believe medical experts over your right wing nut bags who think they knew better.
Why? The proof is already in, the right wing nut bags were correct to question. You all controlled the message, the messenger and the data and still screwed it up.

• Haha

you're wrong again. and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. ARE YOU EVER RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING? it was the disingenous conflation of masks and their effectiveness (placebo) and the need to preserve them for healthcare workers etc. It wasn't "opinions changed as more facts were known." what kind of far left echo chamber do you reside that prevents you from getting MORE information and just brainwashes you to the point of being nothing more than a parrot or a hyena?

fauci lost trust from the advent. the cdc botched so much stuff from the simple, keeping labs clean, to the complex (tracking), that they too lost trust. it wasn't simply "more facts." god you are a garbage poster. just an fing hyena.

now you'll slither away to the next parroted, triggered defend the dems bs you'll post - wholly devoid of any content or support. just vomiting partisan garbage. talking points for the barely literate.

Then they shouldn't present an opinion as a fact.
They presented their professional opinion based on the facts that were known at the time.

Facts change and thus their recommendations changed.

This isn't that hard but some highly partisan posters want to politicize it.

As soon as fauci contradicted Trump, conservative media made him the villian.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
They presented their professional opinion based on the facts that were known at the time.

Nope, Fauci came out initially and said masks wouldn't help.

What 'facts' about masks changed? Dumbass.

why don't you read instead of just continuing to post lies? go away. you're a moron. you bring nothing but dogshit to this board. you can say fauci was worried about a run on masks so played loose with the truth in what he thought was the best interest of the country. okay. may or may not be truth. but it's thoughtful. plausible. you just post the party line. like a stupid kid. like a dummy.

Last edited:
But alas, it comes back t. go our “leaders” using us as pones for their own gain. To a VERY large # of us, that was what covid smelled like from the start.

Joe, love your question about how many times has the human race gone extinct.

Suspect the human race evolved from a number of species which became extinct.

Someone whose name escapes me suggested that only cockroaches would survive a nuclear hollocaust. Then from this species a new mankind would evolve.

Could it be a biological virus someday will reduce the human race to a stronger and wiser species. A process known as survival of the fittest.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Fauci said the masks didn't do jack right when COVID hit then changed his tune days later for absolutely no reason. Well we know the reason but it had absolutely nothing to do with masks working.

Joe, love your question about how many times has the human race gone extinct.

Suspect the human race evolved from a number of species which became extinct.

Someone whose name escapes me suggested that only cockroaches would survive a nuclear hollocaust. Then from this species a new mankind would evolve.

Could it be a biological virus someday will reduce the human race to a stronger and wiser species. A process known as survival of the fittest.

The person whose name escaped me concerning cockroaches being the beginning of a new evolution following a nuclear holocaust was Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

They didn't present any of it with opinion. They presented what they were saying as fact. If you get the vaccine you can't get Covid nor can you spread it. Where is there opinion in that? They made it sound like a fact.

• Haha
They didn't present any of it with opinion. They presented what they were saying as fact. If you get the vaccine you can't get Covid nor can you spread it. Where is there opinion in that? They made it sound like a fact.

Was that an exact quote or you paraphrasing for effect?

I don't recall anyone saying the vaccine made you bulletproof.

That's not a fair criticism. The reason we develop vaccines is to try to promote immunity without the need for people to suffer a natural infection. Those people who nevertheless do suffer a natural infection will almost certainly be conferred with some level of immunity on par with (or even better than) vaccination. Those two sentiments are not inconsistent with each other. WSJ seems to be using the latter to slam people for holding the former, but in reality, both are true.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
That's not a fair criticism. The reason we develop vaccines is to try to promote immunity without the need for people to suffer a natural infection. Those people who nevertheless do suffer a natural infection will almost certainly be conferred with some level of immunity on par with (or even better than) vaccination. Those two sentiments are not inconsistent with each other. WSJ seems to be using the latter to slam people for holding the former, but in reality, both are true.
I also believe both are true, but our political leadership did not. We were requiring vaccinations for people to travel for example, even for those that had COVID and had evidence of natural immunity. Europe accepted the natural immunity for travel as well as vaccinations. I said at the time we should do the same. Our left side didn’t agree.

That's BS also. He said they didn't work when he had NO facts and said it like it was a fact.
Yea ok. And if he wasn't in conservatives crosshairs for contradicting king Trump then conservative media wouldn't have their followers making an issue out of something so petty or some would say nonexistent

Seriously do you believe that mask don't help at all? Not sure where you're coming from. To me common sense will tell you that will help some. This experiment tells me that they will help some. What I don't know is how big of a load of the virus do you have to get to become infected.

Bacteria are bigger than viruses and that experiment is testing bacteria growth. So w.r.t. COVID, that test is testing the wrong thing. Based on that, I am too lazy to look and see what type of masks were being tested but that comes into play as well. Most people wore loose fitting cloth masks and those are not as effective as like N95's (which most people were not wearing).

The masks have been studied and they were so ineffective as to be almoat useless in stopping the spread of COVID. There are multiple factors why that would be the case, but the mass forced masking didn't really work. And honestly, they ended up becoming more of a political statement than anything else.

Last edited:
Bacteria are bigger than viruses and that experiment is testing bacteria growth. So w.r.t. COVID, that test is testing the wrong thing. Based on that, I am too lazy to look and see what type of masks were being tested but that comes into play as well. Most people wore loose fitting cloth masks and those are not as effective as like N95's (which most people were not wearing).

The masks have been studied and they were so ineffective as to be almoat useless in stopping the spread of COVID. There are multiple factors why that would be the case, but the mass forced masking didn't really work. And honestly, they ended up becoming more of a political statement than anything else.

But the virus is carried in water droplets as we exhale. Those droplets, especially as they leave the mouth/nose before evaporation, are big enough to be caught. Here's a study on various masks and the amount of sneeze droplets that get through:

That came from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7757609/

We know initial viral load plays a role in how bad the illness is. So even if it doesn't completely prevent transmission, lowering that viral load is a positive.

There are plenty of other studies:

This one has a list of studies and outcomes https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

The problem with the OP study is it only reviewed studies from the POV of the non-infected person. As soone as water droplets leave the infected person, they start evaporating. That makes them smaller and more easily able to fit through a mask. So me wearing a mask does very little if the person across from me sneezes in my face. Them wearing the mask? It is definitely protection for me.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Yeah I realize that bacteria are larger than viruses but that experiment shows that masks do block stuff and viruses are normally not isolated. At least from what I've read they are normally attached to something like a water droplet which the mask will block some of them. I don't know what virus load you have to receive to really get infected... would 5 do it, 10?, 20? .... you get what I mean. Have you read anything about that?

Yeah I realize that bacteria are larger than viruses but that experiment shows that masks do block stuff and viruses are normally not isolated. At least from what I've read they are normally attached to something like a water droplet which the mask will block some of them. I don't know what virus load you have to receive to really get infected... would 5 do it, 10?, 20? .... you get what I mean. Have you read anything about that?
One of the links I saw said 1000 was the magic number to get infected. I assume that is an average as someone with a strong immune system probably takes more than someone with a weak immune system.

And of course initial viral load does factor into severity of illness.

Reactions: NPT
But the virus is carried in water droplets as we exhale. Those droplets, especially as they leave the mouth/nose before evaporation, are big enough to be caught. Here's a study on various masks and the amount of sneeze droplets that get through:

We know initial viral load plays a role in how bad the illness is. So even if it doesn't completely prevent transmission, lowering that viral load is a positive.

This one has a list of studies and outcomes https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

The problem with the OP study is it only reviewed studies from the POV of the non-infected person. As soone as water droplets leave the infected person, they start evaporating. That makes them smaller and more easily able to fit through a mask. So me wearing a mask does very little if the person across from me sneezes in my face. Them wearing the mask? It is definitely protection for me.
The problem wasn’t studies it was the verbiage, the dishonesty, and the politicization. Masks provide SOME benefit. Have two people wearing them even better. But Fauci was a mess in messaging from the genesis and in part disingenuous to prevent a run on same when healthcare workers needed them most. Right away there was an inconsistency in messaging in that they were of little to no value yet they needed to be preserved for healthcare workers. Say what?

Then they devolved into a totem for each party

And they still didn't work. Yeah, sneezing in your face is worse than having something in between. It is why we teach children to cover their mouths when they sneeze and cough.

That being said, there is nothing that supports that the masks did anything to slow and/or stop the spread of the virus. It still went through the population multiple times. The masks used were not the kind tested in most of these tests that show any type of benefit either. People were not wearing even what they wear at a dentist office, let alone surgical grade masks. They wore a piece of cloth.

What we forced people to do w.r.t. COVID masks did not work. It was mostly theater. And honestly the people who pushed the masks the hardest were ass holes about the whole thing. Whatever minimal effectiveness they may have had in short situations here and there was completely offset by the people who acted like this:

All that for something that was minimally effective for short periods of time (at best). Then after the masks it was the vaccine.

(That one is for @IU_Hickory who is about the most misinformed poster on the board. He'll either respond with a 🤣 to this post or run away though.) People were fired from their jobs because of the absolute lie that people like Biden were spreading. "It's the science maaaaan." There was absolutely a sliding scale for what that "vaccine" (we had to change the definition of vaccines for the COVID shot, the left has us changing definitions on a bunch of things lately) was actually going to do for people. Then you would get gaslit by the same Karen's yelling at people in the first video about "that isn't what we said the vaccine would do." We. Have. The. Video. "Well the science changed..." Yeah it "changed" you absolute ****ing dicks. That is the point. Most of the dumbasses screaming about the "science" were using that as a silencing technique. The "science" changes, so ruining lives and acting like an absolute douche canoe over the "science" shows how little the Twitterati experts actually knew.

Same with the lab leak. Xenophobia. A conspiracy theory. And on and on. Now it is believed to be the most likely explanation for the virus.

The problem wasn't with the masks per se, it was with everything that came along with it.

And they still didn't work. Yeah, sneezing in your face is worse than having something in between. It is why we teach children to cover their mouths when they sneeze and cough.

That being said, there is nothing that supports that the masks did anything to slow and/or stop the spread of the virus. It still went through the population multiple times. The masks used were not the kind tested in most of these tests that show any type of benefit either. People were not wearing even what they wear at a dentist office, let alone surgical grade masks. They wore a piece of cloth.

What we forced people to do w.r.t. COVID masks did not work. It was mostly theater. And honestly the people who pushed the masks the hardest were ass holes about the whole thing. Whatever minimal effectiveness they may have had in short situations here and there was completely offset by the people who acted like this:

All that for something that was minimally effective for short periods of time (at best). Then after the masks it was the vaccine.

(That one is for @IU_Hickory who is about the most misinformed poster on the board. He'll either respond with a 🤣 to this post or run away though.) People were fired from their jobs because of the absolute lie that people like Biden were spreading. "It's the science maaaaan." There was absolutely a sliding scale for what that "vaccine" (we had to change the definition of vaccines for the COVID shot, the left has us changing definitions on a bunch of things lately) was actually going to do for people. Then you would get gaslit by the same Karen's yelling at people in the first video about "that isn't what we said the vaccine would do." We. Have. The. Video. "Well the science changed..." Yeah it "changed" you absolute ****ing dicks. That is the point. Most of the dumbasses screaming about the "science" were using that as a silencing technique. The "science" changes, so ruining lives and acting like an absolute douche canoe over the "science" shows how little the Twitterati experts actually knew.

Same with the lab leak. Xenophobia. A conspiracy theory. And on and on. Now it is believed to be the most likely explanation for the virus.

The problem wasn't with the masks per se, it was with everything that came along with it.
I shared several links of studies saying they work. I have seen one, the OP link, which reviewed only 1/2 of the equation. I don't concede they don't work until we see more studies saying they don't.

The problem wasn’t studies it was the verbiage, the dishonesty, and the politicization. Masks provide SOME benefit. Have two people wearing them even better. But Fauci was a mess in messaging from the genesis and in part disingenuous to prevent a run on same when healthcare workers needed them most. Right away there was an inconsistency in messaging in that they were of little to no value yet they needed to be preserved for healthcare workers. Say what?

Then they devolved into a totem for each party

Nothing is perfect. You are legally required to wear a seatbelt. A lot of people wearing seatbelts are killed in crashes. Does that mean seatbelts don't work? Or that people shouldn't wear them?

I agree some people went mask crazy. Some were crazy for masking, some were crazy against masking. We have lost all sense of moderation. Masking helps. Some people were abusive to people not wearing masks outside, that was stupid. Some people made too much of a claim. Others were totally unwilling to mask even in close quarters when COVID was rampant. Others spread lies that masks will cause wearers health problems.

Our understanding has changed, COVID has changed and Delta was far more likely to cause serious issues, thus the cost-benefit was different with Delta than it is now. I had to mask coming off COVID because there is a rule at work of masking so many days after. Other than that, if I go visit someone in a nursing home or see a doctor I mask because those are their rules (and wearing in a nursing home makes a some sense).

Nothing is perfect. You are legally required to wear a seatbelt. A lot of people wearing seatbelts are killed in crashes. Does that mean seatbelts don't work? Or that people shouldn't wear them?

I agree some people went mask crazy. Some were crazy for masking, some were crazy against masking. We have lost all sense of moderation. Masking helps. Some people were abusive to people not wearing masks outside, that was stupid. Some people made too much of a claim. Others were totally unwilling to mask even in close quarters when COVID was rampant. Others spread lies that masks will cause wearers health problems.

Our understanding has changed, COVID has changed and Delta was far more likely to cause serious issues, thus the cost-benefit was different with Delta than it is now. I had to mask coming off COVID because there is a rule at work of masking so many days after. Other than that, if I go visit someone in a nursing home or see a doctor I mask because those are their rules (and wearing in a nursing home makes a some sense).
definitely. and the language we use is bad. don't work. little is that absolute. some benefit is better stated.

that said our gov faced an issue they hadn't seen in a century. so they get a little benefit of the doubt, but they handled it poorly for the most part. from trump to the agencies designated to deal with such matters, to the state and locals. i think it was the first true indication that trump wasn't capable of being a president in a time of crisis. the agencies aren't subject to the vagaries of elections and i expected more. cdc was a massive disappointment.

I shared several links of studies saying they work. I have seen one, the OP link, which reviewed only 1/2 of the equation. I don't concede they don't work until we see more studies saying they don't.
We had millions of infections with social distancing, masks, and a shot. They "work" in a controlled environment when being tested and when using specific types of gear, they don't "work" out in reality because of a myriad of different reasons.

The impact they had was miniscule.

We had millions of infections with social distancing, masks, and a shot. They "work" in a controlled environment when being tested and when using specific types of gear, they don't "work" out in reality because of a myriad of different reasons.

Great point - lab tests do not equal real world situations.

Great point - lab tests do not equal real world situations.
And to be clear, before someone brings it up, a surgical and medical setting with the masks is different because of the massive amount of protocol and procedure that has to be followed with the masking. Comparing that sterilized environment to someone wearing a bandana tied around their face at the grocery is just apples and oranges.

definitely. and the language we use is bad. don't work. little is that absolute. some benefit is better stated.

that said our gov faced an issue they hadn't seen in a century. so they get a little benefit of the doubt, but they handled it poorly for the most part. from trump to the agencies designated to deal with such matters, to the state and locals. i think it was the first true indication that trump wasn't capable of being a president in a time of crisis. the agencies aren't subject to the vagaries of elections and i expected more. cdc was a massive disappointment.

MM66, having experienced the pandemic is there anything the country has reached a consensus on which will help us in the future ?

Judging from The Cooler the authorities upon whom each of us listens depends a great deal on our own political ideology.

We have to define "impact". Here is a study showing high initial viral load is a predictor for bad outcomes

Masks aren't perfect. But think of it as the difference of hitting a tree at 40mph or 55. The outcome can be bad either way but if one's goal is to have a lower risk of death (and lower risk of more critical injuries) one will choose 40.

MM66, having experienced the pandemic is there anything the country has reached a consensus on which will help us in the future ?

Judging from The Cooler the authorities upon whom each of us listens depends a great deal on our own political ideology.
Hoot1 I appreciate your question. I think we are farther away from a consensus on just about anything than ever before. What's more I think we've lost trust in government, at all levels. In terms of "judging from the cooler," it's very important that we remember that the cooler isn't an assemblage of intelligent people - by any stretch of the imagination. Sadly, the stupidity we see here mirrors what we see in society, it's just that somehow people on this board found extra time to post and share their stupidity.

God speed Hoot. You're one of the good ones...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT