ADVERTISEMENT

The Masks Did Not and Do Not Work

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004

We included 12 trials (10 cluster‐RCTs) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness (two trials with healthcare workers and 10 in the community). Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence. Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory‐confirmed influenza/SARS‐CoV‐2 compared to not wearing masks (RR 1.01, 95% CI 0.72 to 1.42; 6 trials, 13,919 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence). Harms were rarely measured and poorly reported (very low‐certainty evidence).

"Wearing (surgical) masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory confirmed influenza/SARS-Cov-2 compared to not wearing masks." If those made little to no difference, I guarantee the cloth that most people used made even less.

The Branch Covidians that shut down the country, harassed, censored, cancelled, etc. their fellow citizens while proclaiming the good news of The Science, were wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. On just about everything. We should have a healthy skepticism of anyone proclaiming "The Science" as a discussion ender from this point forward. What they pulled in 2020 and 2021 was the most un-Sciency shit on the planet.

We included 12 trials (10 cluster‐RCTs) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness (two trials with healthcare workers and 10 in the community). Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence. Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory‐confirmed influenza/SARS‐CoV‐2 compared to not wearing masks (RR 1.01, 95% CI 0.72 to 1.42; 6 trials, 13,919 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence). Harms were rarely measured and poorly reported (very low‐certainty evidence).

"Wearing (surgical) masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory confirmed influenza/SARS-Cov-2 compared to not wearing masks." If those made little to no difference, I guarantee the cloth that most people used made even less.

The Branch Covidians that shut down the country, harassed, censored, cancelled, etc. their fellow citizens while proclaiming the good news of The Science, were wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. On just about everything. We should have a healthy skepticism of anyone proclaiming "The Science" as a discussion ender from this point forward. What they pulled in 2020 and 2021 was the most un-Sciency shit on the planet.
I've been wanting to share a video about Covid...It will prolly quickly get dismissed. The guy being interviewed is Jeffrey Sachs. Its a no nonsense deal and he was involved at the beginning. He also cites some very reliable sources. He is also a DEMOCRAT. Very eye opening. What say you all?

I've been wanting to share a video about Covid...It will prolly quickly get dismissed. The guy being interviewed is Jeffrey Sachs. Its a no nonsense deal and he was involved at the beginning. He also cites some very reliable sources. He is also a DEMOCRAT. Very eye opening. What say you all?
It'll just be a conspiracy theory I am sure ! @eyeroll .

I changed my name. This isn't really the first Joe_hoopsier. You just think that it is.
I assume you are implying you were banned. Which mod? Stoll? NPT? The one I forget from CG?
Is this variation more or less of a victim?

I enjoy how you guys claim victimhood status, when in reality, this board is pretty close to being right of center. Disagreement does not equal victims, no matter how much you wring your hands over having tweets by Lauren Witzke called out.

I assume you are implying you were banned. Which mod? Stoll? NPT? The one I forget from CG?
Is this variation more or less of a victim?

I enjoy how you guys claim victimhood status, when in reality, this board is pretty close to being right of center. Disagreement does not equal victims, no matter how much you wring your hands over having tweets by Lauren Witzke called out.
Danc Indianaftw cray dmb and joehoopsier turned this board INTO THE NO SPIN ZONE!!!!

Danc Indianaftw cray dmb and joehoopsier turned this board INTO THE NO SPIN ZONE!!!!
the-office-im-proud-of-myself.gif

Long advocated the country should review our approach to Covid and prepare for future outbreaks which could include a biological attack from an enemy within our borders or outside.

Making conclusions based upon our political ideology seems to be ridiculous as future prevention should require a high degree of cooperation to be successful in my view.

On the wearing of masks, for example, will we ever agree? Found this Cochrane link published in January 2023 which concludes as follows...

We are uncertain whether wearing masks or N95/P2 respirators helps to slow the spread of respiratory viruses based on the studies we assessed.

So are we certain or uncertain about wearing masks, and will we ever learn so we can agree to some degree when a future attack occurs ?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and NPT
Long advocated the country should review our approach to Covid and prepare for future outbreaks which could include a biological attack from an enemy within our borders or outside.

Making conclusions based upon our political ideology seems to be ridiculous as future prevention should require a high degree of cooperation to be successful in my view.

On the wearing of masks, for example, will we ever agree? Found this Cochrane link published in January 2023 which concludes as follows...

We are uncertain whether wearing masks or N95/P2 respirators helps to slow the spread of respiratory viruses based on the studies we assessed.

So are we certain or uncertain about wearing masks, and will we ever learn so we can agree to some degree when a future attack occurs ?
The Chinese have been wearing masks for eon's. Heck, if they get a hang nail, they wear a mask. I think there were, and still are a few Chinese that got Covid.
There are some that wear mask out of personal fear and or showing how much they care for everyone else (except non masked ppl)
And some that refuse to because they know they are worthless, other than to virtue signal.

No I don't think (for covid or the common cold) that we will ever agree. Now, if there is something that comes along and they actually are the "magic bullet", then I could see most of us agreeing.

In many of these “studies” where they claim to be uncertain, what it really means is “the evidence today suggests that masks did not effectively slow the spread of respiratory viruses but we’ll continue to look for a way to spin it so we & all of the libs that threw fits don’t look like dumbasses for our reactions to COVId.”

Read between the lines. If masks were effective there would be plenty of data to prove it. We just ran a worldwide experiment. The reality is they're not effective, which is exactly what Fauci first said before it became political.

Genuine question: I wonder why surgical masks are ineffective "in the community" but not in the operating room? Or are they ineffective in the O-R too? Or they stop some viruses, but not others?

Genuine question: I wonder why surgical masks are ineffective "in the community" but not in the operating room? Or are they ineffective in the O-R too? Or they stop some viruses, but not others?
It depends to a large extent on the specific pathogen, the size of the droplets/microorganisms, the environmental conditions and the degree of contagion. Some of the Covid variants were reportedly among the most contagious airborne pathogens ever observed.

It's too bad: 1) that there was so much confusion (some of it generated by epidemiologists and public health officials) about masks, particularly at the outset of the pandemic; and 2) that the issue has become so insanely politicized. It's not hard to imagine a future outbreak of disease where masks are extremely effective, but millions will refuse to wear them.

From the link ... "Our confidence in these results is generally low to moderate for the subjective outcomes related to respiratory illness, but moderate for the more precisely defined laboratory‐confirmed respiratory virus infection, related to masks and N95/P2 respirators." Hardly worthy of a proclamation regarding the effectiveness of masks, but indicative of a need to learn more.

I wear a mask because I'm immunocompromised. I'm not sure that it helps, but I hope so. It seems as though I get a lot of "side eyes" from those that have no idea regarding what is happening behind the mask.
Are you wearing an N-95?

Who cares? Didnt affect life in the least bit. It was literally the smallest inconvenience that happened in that time. Stop being melodramatic.

I wear a mask because I'm immunocompromised. I'm not sure that it helps, but I hope so. It seems as though I get a lot of "side eyes" from those that have no idea regarding what is happening behind the mask.
Sorry about your compromised state bro. But I still know that so much of what flies around has a smaller particulate size than the pours on even the N95.
But, and with sincerity, if it makes you feel more secure keep on rocking those things. I am a firm believer that so much of our health is driven my mental state. The body is a magical thing.

That can't be - I was assured by the Branch Covidians on this very board that no any mask was better than none - even cloth masks. lol

Some people here refuse to leave the MIddle Ages.

Do you wear it when you're in the car by yourself? That always cracks me up when I see people in their cars - alone - wearing masks.

Do you wear it when you're in the car by yourself? That always cracks me up when I see people in their cars - alone - wearing masks.
The guy's immunocompromised and you're mocking him? There's no bottom with you, danc.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Sorry about your compromised state bro. But I still know that so much of what flies around has a smaller particulate size than the pours on even the N95.
It's true that the N95 mask won't stop a virus in a stand alone state but viruses are normally attached to something.... water droplet, dust particle.

It's true that the N95 mask won't stop a virus in a stand alone state but viruses are normally attached to something.... water droplet, dust particle.
So you're saying there's a chance that is can stop some. I've never disagreed with that at all.

So you're saying there's a chance that is can stop some. I've never disagreed with that at all.
Yep. The way I look at it is that I don't think wearing a mask will hurt so when I can I do. If I had to wear one all day that would be a completely different story.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
1. Large waiting area at The Christ Hospital Joint and Spine Center. No masks.

2. Nurse comes out the side door and calls my name. Gives us all a mask and says we have to wear it down the 25-30 foot hall.

3. No people in hall. Walk down the hall.

4. Turn right into a hall with pre-op rooms. Plenty of nurses and patients and families around. No masks. No masks in the halls. No masks in the rooms.

Go figure . . .

That must have been one vicious hallway . . . .

1. Large waiting area at The Christ Hospital Joint and Spine Center. No masks.

2. Nurse comes out the side door and calls my name. Gives us all a mask and says we have to wear it down the 25-30 foot hall.

3. No people in hall. Walk down the hall.

4. Turn right into a hall with pre-op rooms. Plenty of nurses and patients and families around. No masks. No masks in the halls. No masks in the rooms.

Go figure . . .

That must have been one vicious hallway . . . .
You got it all wrong.... the mask was to protect anyone that happen to enter the hall from YOU! :) :)

You just wait... when OS gets on here and sees this he's gonna debunk everything because he has a PhD. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT