ADVERTISEMENT

The Masks Did Not and Do Not Work

We included 12 trials (10 cluster‐RCTs) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness (two trials with healthcare workers and 10 in the community). Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence. Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory‐confirmed influenza/SARS‐CoV‐2 compared to not wearing masks (RR 1.01, 95% CI 0.72 to 1.42; 6 trials, 13,919 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence). Harms were rarely measured and poorly reported (very low‐certainty evidence).

"Wearing (surgical) masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory confirmed influenza/SARS-Cov-2 compared to not wearing masks." If those made little to no difference, I guarantee the cloth that most people used made even less.

The Branch Covidians that shut down the country, harassed, censored, cancelled, etc. their fellow citizens while proclaiming the good news of The Science, were wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. On just about everything. We should have a healthy skepticism of anyone proclaiming "The Science" as a discussion ender from this point forward. What they pulled in 2020 and 2021 was the most un-Sciency shit on the planet.
What we first learned about masks is that cloth-type don't work well except for large expulsions such as a sneeze and even then the small stuff escapes.

Most current off the shelf paper masks are better but still insufficient.

N95s work and should be the standard going forward until we find something better.

Because the community doesn't follow the rules with the masks. Think of all the decontamination type of behavior a surgeon has to go through before performing surgery and how that plays out in the real world. They have a big disinfecting of the hands. Sterile gloves. The PPE. And all that stuff goes in the trash when they are done.

In the community, people wear the mask all day and reuse them. They touch objects in their environment and then touch the mask to adjust it. And on and on. The masks just are not intended for that long term usage by people who don't follow all of the rules.

Edit: And remember you are discussing surgical grade masks in a sterilized environment. I don't know about you, but when I was out and about it was rare to see people wearing the flimsy masks they hand you at a doctor appointment, let alone an N95 quality. Most people had the cloth ones.
Good points on proper usage.

Also on the quality aspects. I use N95 in those few occasions I wear one anymore, but i went to a Dr appt and they handed me a mask that was far better fitting and quality than any other non-N95 I had seen so far. The general 100 pck of blue paper masks you buy at Costco are certainly better than nothing, but not very effective.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Who cares? Didnt affect life in the least bit. It was literally the smallest inconvenience that happened in that time. Stop being melodramatic.
It was a fairly significant inconvenience at first, but once I got used to it it became a minor one. Then there was the truly melodramatic who compared mask wearing to the plight of the Jews in WWII Nazi Germany. The whole politicised argument was ridiculous.

I've done that too and feel kinda stupid when I realize that I still have it on. :)
I think we all have which is the obvious answer. Or making another stop shortly down the road.

Damn, I always thought it was my breath that caused the looks. Shit.
KgbK4m5.jpg

Watched the Iowa-Indiana replay from 2021 (@ Iowa) on BTN this morning. Reminded how effing stupid this whole thing was. Coaches (kinda) with masks on. Players with a seat in between them, some guys sitting in the third row. Cardboard cutouts in the crowd. Fake crowd noise. Guys with "Peace, Love, Equality" shirts on. :D

Just a complete, embarrassing, circle-jerk virtue signal fostered on us by the progressive left. Geeks and losers.

Old-school, unionized, blue collar Dems....please take the party back ASAP.

Watched the Iowa-Indiana replay from 2021 (@ Iowa) on BTN this morning. Reminded how effing stupid this whole thing was. Coaches (kinda) with masks on. Players with a seat in between them, some guys sitting in the third row. Cardboard cutouts in the crowd. Fake crowd noise. Guys with "Peace, Love, Equality" shirts on. :D

Just a complete, embarrassing, circle-jerk virtue signal fostered on us by the progressive left. Geeks and losers.

The cardboard cutouts were the best - I remember posting that the crowd looked "board".

Cracked my self up.

Yeah, the entire thing was pretty ridiculous for a virus that was no worse than the flu to college-age kids.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
During WWII Americans almost unanimously responded to the war effort in a number of ways without second guessing the rationale behind the requests from authorities in Washington D.C.

The nation had air raid drills, paper and tin drives, victory gardens, rationed goods including gasoline, and the list goes on.

My parents were not fond of FDR's politics but never questioned our military actions or sacrifices demanded by the federal government. Heck, the nation hardly responded when American citizens with Japanese heritage were put into concentration camps.

Fast forward to today and envision a biological attack by a foreign or domestic enemy. Would each state and community set different standards as to how to respond ? Would some citizens simply ignore any rules or regulations demanded by government officials.

Not saying the American response in WWii was better than what our response today might be. Just observing how we have changed.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

I always thought that was funny also because seems like every time a coach wanted to yell at a player they pulled their mask down and that would be the time you'd really need it if you were gonna wear one.

Reactions: DANC and dr.jb
Have we ever taken roll call on who masks up to come on here and post? Those who do, should also wear mittens to be super safe.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Have we ever taken roll call on who masks up to come on here and post? Those who do, should also wear mittens to be super safe.
Seriously do you believe that mask don't help at all? Not sure where you're coming from. To me common sense will tell you that will help some. This experiment tells me that they will help some. What I don't know is how big of a load of the virus do you have to get to become infected.

Seriously do you believe that mask don't help at all? Not sure where you're coming from. To me common sense will tell you that will help some. This experiment tells me that they will help some. What I don't know is how big of a load of the virus do you have to get to become infected.

OHHH Seriously, well. Yes I said on here several time that I am sure there is some level of helping. Nothing can be a total zero. I question to what extent though. Heck even Fauxi has been video'd/ quoted saying that the don't work, until he said that they do before he said they don't again, then landed on yes mask up.
China has masked everything for decades. I wonder why they ever get sick at all. What made the world better? We riped the freaking masks off, rubbed some dirt on it, took our lumps and let our systems force the virus to do what viruses do. Get weaker.

Reactions: DANC
OHHH Seriously, well. Yes I said on here several time that I am sure there is some level of helping. Nothing can be a total zero. I question to what extent though. Heck even Fauxi has been video'd/ quoted saying that the don't work, until he said that they do before he said they don't again, then landed on yes mask up.
China has masked everything for decades. I wonder why they ever get sick at all. What made the world better? We riped the freaking masks off, rubbed some dirt on it, took our lumps and let our systems force the virus to do what viruses do. Get weaker.
We do know that flu cases went down (when compared to previous years prior to covid) when people were masking. So obviously masks showed some benefit even though not 100% effective (which is why some people still got sick).

However, only idiots would say don't mask up just because it's not 100% effective. It was better than nothing and that is pretty clear.

Joe, wearing mittens comes close to those advocating proper hand washing such as Dr. Will Sawyer. Dr. Sawyer in the link has in part this to say.

Did you know that your hands can be deadly? Yes, your hands. They carry many germs that can cause morbidity and even mortality. This is why handwashing habits serve as such a critical behavior for all to adopt early in life.

Handwashing promotion is applicable to all countries and all communities, from the most highly developed to the least. In addition to morbidity and mortality, infections lead to absenteeism from work and school, thus affecting one’s productivity and ability to learn.

So in addition to asking folks to be inconvenienced by wearing masks, we have among us so called experts suggesting we acquire time consuming habits and interruptions in our otherwise productive lives by constantly washing our hands.

We have two very young grandkids. I'm so glad that our daughter and hubby is not afraid to let them get dirty. You are exactly right.... we can be too careful and never get immunity to anything. However on something new I do think the should err on the side of caution but listening to our politicians and Fauxi you wouldn't know what to do.... Mask don't help.... yes they do.... and so forth

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
We do know that flu cases went down (when compared to previous years prior to covid) when people were masking. So obviously masks showed some benefit even though not 100% effective (which is why some people still got sick).

However, only idiots would say don't mask up just because it's not 100% effective. It was better than nothing and that is pretty clear.
Well we take risk every day.... I getting ready to go to the grocery store so I'm taking a risk driving there. I think there are two extreme sides to the mask issue.... one side acts as though they are nearly 100% effective and the other acts as though they don't help any and I think both are wrong. If I had to wear one all day at work I might just take my chances but even now if I'm going to the grocery store I'll probably wear one if I think to put it on, If I get out of the car and start in the store and realize that I forgot to put it on I won't go back and get it.

Reactions: IUINSB and hoot1
Well we take risk every day.... I getting ready to go to the grocery store so I'm taking a risk driving there. I think there are two extreme sides to the mask issue.... one side acts as though they are nearly 100% effective and the other acts as though they don't help any and I think both are wrong. If I had to wear one all day at work I might just take my chances but even now if I'm going to the grocery store I'll probably wear one if I think to put it on, If I get out of the car and start in the store and realize that I forgot to put it on I won't go back and get it.

I think in the middle of a pandemic, people should be taking reasonable steps to reduce the spread and masks definitely reduced the spread, especially when worn by the person that is sick.

Yes, we take risks every day but we also take steps to mitigate those risks. Things like speed limits, wearing a seat belt, wearing helmets, not texting while driving etc.

I am guessing you aren't driving 100 mph down the road while not wearing a seat belt and texting on your phone.

Wearing masks was about mitigating the risks...not eliminating the risks.

Last edited:
Reactions: NPT
Based on reality. If you think I'm wrong, show me all the people claiming masks stop disease with 100% effectiveness. As for people claiming they are useless, I only need direct you to the thread we are already in.
I'd bet willing to bet that there is no one in this thread thinks they are completely useless but there are some that don't think they help much which is just their opinion. There were people also saying (Biden for one) that if you got the vaccine you wouldn't get the disease then there are others think that the vaccine is almost useless and the risk is greater than the reward.

I'd bet willing to bet that there is no one in this thread thinks they are completely useless but there are some that don't think they help much which is just their opinion. There were people also saying (Biden for one) that if you got the vaccine you wouldn't get the disease then there are others think that the vaccine is almost useless and the risk is greater than the reward.
There are definitely people who don't understand vaccines on both sides. But not masks. No one ever acted like they were some kind of magical cure. Plenty of people have been arguing they do nothing.

I think in the middle of a pandemic, people should be taking reasonable steps to reduce the spread and masks definitely reduced the spread, especially when worn by the person that is sick.

Yes, we take risks every day but we also take steps to mitigate those risks. Things like speed limits, wearing a seat belt, wearing helmets, not texting while driving etc.

I am guessing you aren't driving 100 mph down the road while not wearing a seat belt and texting on your phone.

Wearing masks was about mitigating the risks...not eliminating the risks.
That is true but we also make decisions based on is the reward worth the risk. I wasn't sure how effective masks were but I was willing to wear one if it even kept one person from getting covid. Too many people just don't give a $@%# about other people. It's all about Me Me Me.

There are definitely people who don't understand vaccines on both sides. But not masks. No one ever acted like they were some kind of magical cure. Plenty of people have been arguing they do nothing.
I know but there are still people on both sides that push their opinion and act like you're nuts if you don't agree with them. Like I said before I think just common sense would tell you that masks help some. Just go out on a cold morning when you can see your breath and then put on a mask and you won't see your breath.... that tells you that the mask is blocking water droplets.

I can't remember where I read it but I was reading an article the other day where a guy was pushing masks as the best solution to stop the spread. I always wonder if they have a business that sells masks.

Reactions: DANC
Joe, wearing mittens comes close to those advocating proper hand washing such as Dr. Will Sawyer. Dr. Sawyer in the link has in part this to say.

Did you know that your hands can be deadly? Yes, your hands. They carry many germs that can cause morbidity and even mortality. This is why handwashing habits serve as such a critical behavior for all to adopt early in life.

Handwashing promotion is applicable to all countries and all communities, from the most highly developed to the least. In addition to morbidity and mortality, infections lead to absenteeism from work and school, thus affecting one’s productivity and ability to learn.

So in addition to asking folks to be inconvenienced by wearing masks, we have among us so called experts suggesting we acquire time consuming habits and interruptions in our otherwise productive lives by constantly washing our hands.
Well I was jsut thinking of how hard it is to type with mittens on. But yes I agree, we need to wash our hands. But please for the love of god, throw out all of this damn hand sanitizer. We need micro levels of exposure and we do infact need to get a little sick on occasion.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Well I was jsut thinking of how hard it is to type with mittens on. But yes I agree, we need to wash our hands. But please for the love of god, throw out all of this damn hand sanitizer. We need micro levels of exposure and we do infact need to get a little sick on occasion.

Our immune system does adjust to threats which exist in everyday life.

My concern is about a completely new threat either developed by Mother Nature or an enemy in a laboratory which neither our immune system or existing science can deal with.

When faced with such a threat, how will we as a country deal with it. Given how we dealt with Covid, I am concerned. Concerned by the complete lack of consensus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT