ADVERTISEMENT

The Game DIDN’T pass RMK by.

Thanks for pointing that out. Many seem to think motion is basically running 4 corners compared to modern dribble drive, ball screen, kick out to the open guy to jack up a 3 type offenses but his teams were typically high scoring machines. It's not just that it was fun to watch - it was effective.
Remember how IU controlled the tempo vs UNLV ?
Coach had it figured out.

The moment NIL became what it is today, he would have retired or moved to the NBA. There is no way he would have continued with the NIL. He wanted players to play for him, for IU, not cash.
He probably would have. agreed to work for free to set an example.

Game never passes coaches up like Knight.

But recruiting did..

Rule changes had nothing to do with Knight's ability to coach, or not---There were plenty of them during his time, and he always adapted..

1. Shot clock--multiple changes
2. 3 point shot
3. 5 second count
4. Advancing the ball past 28 foot hash

The game changed in a sense that well, players changed. 6'7 PG's----7'0 athletic freaks....6'9" dudes that played like guards... And look at how Knight was starting to recruit, towards the end....

Newton, JJ, Leach, Haston, Miller, Collier, etc....He saw where the game was going, and was starting to adapt to such...

Anyways---the game doesn't pass up HOF coaches. Never bought that for a second.
RMK was about to change the game for at least the 3rd time in his career. He had a new inside/angle kind of motion and the admin knew he was dangerous. if he hadn't been fired, your have seen a regular diet of 4 guys 6-9 to 7" (at least 2 of whom) could handle out court and a guard - maybe Coverdale - against some teams. He used that a bit at Texas Tech but didnt have 4 really big guys. I believe AH and I saw it against Oklahoma in his first year at TT when some of us used to meet downtown at a bar in Indy that tuned TT games in for us. I remember seeing TT run it for open layup after open layup in the end of an Oklahoma game and the OU EVIL COACH had no idea what was happening. We were pointing at the screen and yelling - THATS IT!!! There is no end to genius coaches innovating and Bob Knight was the best innovator of them all.

I’ll say it now. I contend the Game did not pass him by. The Game got bastardized with rules changes that should NOT have trickled down from the NBA. That promoted rougher play and more reliance on athletic talent and less on team play, which I adore. I can’t stand the shit that’s been played for years now. Knight was a purist from an era of basketball that we should still be in.

Things change. If you don't change w it, you get passed by.

Recruiting changed a ton by the 90s. I don't think RMK was keen on begging anybody to play for him. And he liked to hunt in the offseason.

The other, younger coaches changed the landscape so guys like RMK couldn't win like they used to.

You honestly wish we still had no shot clock, no 3, etc.? lol

The stereotype is that it was a tightly controlled slow-paced stall-like offense, but it really wasn't. Knight's IU teams led the league in points scored more than any other school, and average time of possession to my estimation was not really extended. Motion breaks down the D and can do it even with a shot clock.
The right people shot the ball. There was none of the “Race Thompson has to take that shot”. The shot clock definitely made it more difficult to run offense the way Coach Knight preferred.

Things change. If you don't change w it, you get passed by.

Recruiting changed a ton by the 90s. I don't think RMK was keen on begging anybody to play for him. And he liked to hunt in the offseason.

The other, younger coaches changed the landscape so guys like RMK couldn't win like they used to.

You honestly wish we still had no shot clock, no 3, etc.? lol
A shot clock improved offense to a point. The shorter shot clock has not

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT