ADVERTISEMENT

The funny thing is

This has been a frustrating year bc of a crazy tough schedule, including today's game against an undefeated Top 10 team.

Yes, there were opportunities for easily 3 wins this year, but c'mon Wilson had that his entire tenure too.

Give Allen 2-3 season & recruiting classes before counting him out or saying he's a flop. That is the least he should be allowed.

This Defense has been much better than prior to his arrival by a long shot. We have a new Offensive coaching staff and the players on this team are by and large Wilson's recruits.

But Allen likely needs to look a little more in control (less flailing on sideline), may want to consider giving someone (Hagan) the DC role and be a true HC only. And being sure he has the right people on right seats on the bus on his coaching staff may be required too.

But how about let's see if we can win out last 3 and go bowling. That alone will still be a nice accomplishment. And beating Purdue would have a great taste in everyone's mouths once again.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
You mean the pick where he got leveled as he threw, or the one where it went through the hands of the receiver. You have no idea what you're talking about. I can tell you've barely watched and never played the game, not even in the back yard.

He has the same bad offensive line as Ramsey. I have never seen Ramsey throw 5 picks in one game. I saw the Wisconsin QB get leveled and throw a touchdown. I’m not saying Ramsey is the answer but Lagow is not. The program needs a QB but we have not recruited well at the position for years.

Reactions: IUgradman
Fans like you are the reason people stop coming to message boards. You can't ever talk about the game because you just don't understand the game. All you have is personal attacks and act like 12 year kid.

well then, let's talk about the game, stud

He has the same bad offensive line as Ramsey. I have never seen Ramsey throw 5 picks in one game. I saw the Wisconsin QB get leveled and throw a touchdown. I’m not saying Ramsey is the answer but Lagow is not. The program needs a QB but we have not recruited well at the position for years.
And he gives them a better chance to win because he can't best get the ball to the receivers, something Ramsay can't do. Watch the game next time before you foolishly criticize.

I'll give you some names of guys who could do well here.

Gimmick Coaches
1. Jeff Monken
2. Ken Niumatalolo
3. Troy Calhoun

Non-gimmick coaches
1. Seth Littrell
2. Rod Carey
3. Mark Hudspeth

I like the Seth L pick.... he is the last IU coach to get a 4 star QB to commit....

Interesting comment made by announcer in Iowa/OSU game, “Iowa is not playing to NOT lose, they are playing to win!” Got me thinking about a few games this year.... and the last possession of the 1st half... not calling a TO for the punt etc... just saying

Interesting comment made by announcer in Iowa/OSU game, “Iowa is not playing to NOT lose, they are playing to win!” Got me thinking about a few games this year.... and the last possession of the 1st half... not calling a TO for the punt etc... just saying
Not calling the TO on the punt at the end of the half was kind of baffling given that we had to kick to them to begin the second half. If we were receiving it would have made sense but I'm not sure what the logic was. I know Wisky had all of it's timeouts left and maybe we were afraid of giving them the ball back with a short field, but down 4 I think you have to try to get to field goal position there.

Not calling the TO on the punt at the end of the half was kind of baffling given that we had to kick to them to begin the second half. If we were receiving it would have made sense but I'm not sure what the logic was. I know Wisky had all of it's timeouts left and maybe we were afraid of giving them the ball back with a short field, but down 4 I think you have to try to get to field goal position there.
Thought the non-timeout was a good call. Terrible field position to start. Our offense was putrid. Wisky had all 3 t/o's left. It's a 14-10 game. No since in trying to get cute, and suddenly find yourself down 21-10. I do feel had the field position been different, then Allen probably uses a t/o. But no since to take a chance there, and possibly find yourself down even more. Like you said, Wisky got the ball to start the 2nd half. A score at the end of the half and a score to start the half, really makes things tougher. IMO, it was a good call not to take the t/o's.

I think they're 3-3 or 2-4 in the Big Ten with Wilson. Benching Lagow was a mistake. He gives them the best chance to win. Water under the bridge.
So who does IU beat? Maryland probably. After that, can you say with certainty that IU wins two of Wisky, OSU, PSU, UM and MSU? I'd say maybe Michigan. Possibly MSU. But hell those were possibles with Allen. To say Wilson would have this IU team 3-3 in conference play is a big, big stretch. Especially when you factor in the schedule. And 2-4? Meh, maybe. But again, the schedule. Im just finding it hard to find 2 wins out of OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, UM, MSU and Maryland. That five of your first 6 vs Top 20 teams; including three Top 10.

Bold is away game.

Thought the non-timeout was a good call. Terrible field position to start. Our offense was putrid. Wisky had all 3 t/o's left. It's a 14-10 game. No since in trying to get cute, and suddenly find yourself down 21-10. I do feel had the field position been different, then Allen probably uses a t/o. But no since to take a chance there, and possibly find yourself down even more. Like you said, Wisky got the ball to start the 2nd half. A score at the end of the half and a score to start the half, really makes things tougher. IMO, it was a good call not to take the t/o's.
Well.... that is evidently what the coach was thinking....that line of thought also shows a lack of confidence in your offense to not turnover (and that you don’t think your OC can draw a drive up) and a lack of confidence in your defense in holding them.... again I think it is in Allen’s make-up to not put his defense in a bad position....but you gotta score to win. You can play a perfect game defensively but not get a W if the game ends in a tie. Gotta score and that needs to be the foremost thought. I think as a HC you gotta go for the throat...

Well.... that is evidently what the coach was thinking....that line of thought also shows a lack of confidence in your offense to not turnover (and that you don’t think your OC can draw a drive up) and a lack of confidence in your defense in holding them.... again I think it is in Allen’s make-up to not put his defense in a bad position....but you gotta score to win. You can play a perfect game defensively but not get a W if the game ends in a tie. Gotta score and that needs to be the foremost thought. I think as a HC you gotta go for the throat...
Why "go for the throat", 80 yards away? You're down 4 to the 9th-ranked team in the country. Why take that chance? Especially when your offense has been pure trash. You still have 30 minutes of football to play. Don't take away that aspect by trying to score from 80 yards away,with a mere minute or so to play. If down big, sure. But they wasn't. There's a time to play it safe....and time to not. This was the time(IMO) to play it safe.

Ramsey should have played today. I fault Allen for this. The defense kept IU in it for three quarters.

RL has the same issue I complained about all last season. He doesn't check down, forces throws, and is immobile. Ramsey is far from the answer at this point and this is on Wilson, but he should have been in the game today as he provides a broader threat. Disappointed in Aleen today.

From what I understood Ramsey was hurt leaving Lagow as the only option unless you want to burn Tronti's redshirt.I don't think Allen had a choice.

I may be an outlier on this, but IMO I've already seen enough to suspect neither Lagow (short-term) nor Ramsey (long-term) is likely the answer

either it's Tronti, Wilson, or more struggles in 2018--especially given how much IU loses on defense and how no running back has really emerged

Reactions: td75
I think with two timeouts and a buck 20 on the clock IU could have tried to get into FG position. Especially given that UW was to get the ball to start the 2nd half. That's plenty of time to make a drive for points at the end of a half. Good practice to do that, too.

I think with two timeouts and a buck 20 on the clock IU could have tried to get into FG position. Especially given that UW was to get the ball to start the 2nd half. That's plenty of time to make a drive for points at the end of a half. Good practice to do that, too.
Believe IU had the ball at their own 20. Up to then they had done nadda(on offense). Wisky had all three t/o's left. So...............What's the better odds of happening: IU going 3 and out, giving Wisky good field position. OR, IU gaining enough yards to kick a FG? I'm going with "A"; 3 and out. Do that, and now Wisky has an opportunity score , with a short field. Suddenly a 4 point game can become a 14 point game,that quick. I get 14 from a hypothetical scenario of course. Wisky kicking a FG to end the half, then scoring a TD on 1st possession of 2nd half. And with the way IU has played, that;s probably exactly what happens.

Better field position.........sure use your t/o's. But in this case? Naaaaah. No reason to make a mistake deep in your won territory. Or giving Wisky the ball back, with a short field. Let the clock go. Get a big run on 1st down, then start thinking t/o. Otherwise, just run it out, and go in down 4.

Reactions: BayernFan
The guy is 0-6 in the Big 10 and you can’t make a determintion? Dumbest comment I’ve ever seen
We literally started 0-6 in the B1G two years ago, with Sudfeld and Howard and Wilson. We nearly pulled off a few upsets but fell short, then had to win the last couple to get to 6 wins. Sound familiar?

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
If you get your feelings hurt so easily, go away. Don't preach here when the Boiler sites are hateful dens of lunacy towards IU. This site is for IU football, not to entertain bored PU fans.

I’m good. Just don’t think it’s cool to make jokes about a deceased coach is all.

You're in a glass house on this one, both before and after Terry Hoepner died.

I never would’ve said anything about Hep and can’t speak for other Purdue fans but regardless, it’s pathetic to make jokes about death or someone who is close to dying. Just awful.

I never would’ve said anything about Hep and can’t speak for other Purdue fans but regardless, it’s pathetic to make jokes about death or someone who is close to dying. Just awful.
But you're way out of place to lecture anyone here, regardless of how you might try to distance yourself from it. Your conduct toward IU on the Purdue board belies your measured approach here, where you get plenty of leeway. Crazy to push your luck, especially when you're looking the other way on something you claim to find offensive.

I may be an outlier on this, but IMO I've already seen enough to suspect neither Lagow (short-term) nor Ramsey (long-term) is likely the answer

either it's Tronti, Wilson, or more struggles in 2018--especially given how much IU loses on defense and how no running back has really emerged

If you are watching today's game you can see it surly isn't Lagow. Dear God.

This has been a frustrating year bc of a crazy tough schedule, including today's game against an undefeated Top 10 team.

Yes, there were opportunities for easily 3 wins this year, but c'mon Wilson had that his entire tenure too.

Give Allen 2-3 season & recruiting classes before counting him out or saying he's a flop. That is the least he should be allowed.

Funny thing...I said that almost verbatim this spring and was soundly blasted and called everything but a traitor...why we were going to win 10 games...have a breakout...all that crap. This is exactly what I expect...including fans reactions.
It takes time folks...for even the good coaches...which Allen has not proven yet...he might...but not yet.

Oh yeah...I also said that the loss of the best Oline coach in the country was going to hurt us as much as the loss of Wilson or more...but oh no...hows that going for us now, eh?

The point being...you cant have a complete turnover of coaching staff without paying the price. Glass, Allen and many fans were very naïve in thinking so. As an ancient IUFB fan I'm used to waiting for something good to happen. It started to but Glass and a bunch of not well informed fans thought us better without him.

Well...the proof is in the pudding...as they say.

Now is not the time to give up...but face the facts.

What pisses me off about Allen is the amount of smoke he blew up peoples rears before the season began and the crazy way he built up the OSU game. Bet he doesn't do that again, cause if he does, any credibility he might find will be lost overnight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT