ADVERTISEMENT

The Freshmen Experiment...

IUCol

Junior
Nov 11, 2017
Last season, the new rule on Freshmen eligibility dominated talk and the first few games. The staff threw about everything but the kitchen sink in trying to win...I loved it. Chaotic but obviously impacted the game dramatically. The increasing depth and offering experience to players that under the old rules would not have seen any game time has helped our program. Too what extent is TBD but I cannot help but believe this will pay solid dividends this season and beyond.

The question I have is to what extent will we see a repeat of last season. Obviously...again...there should be a bit less opportunity to insert new players with better-experienced ones on the field. Still, how do you not take advantage...particularly IU...of getting playing time for the critical issue of depth, IU's #1 bug-a-boo since time immemorial?

It's a good problem imo...but a logistical nightmare. How do you think it's going to play out and who are the priorities for getting that PT?

PSSSS....At least this is a conversation with more relevance than someone's ethnicity...vbg

Last edited:
Last season, the new rule on Freshmen eligibility dominated talk and the first few games. The staff threw about everything but the kitchen sink in trying to win...I loved it. Chaotic but obviously impacted the game dramatically. The increasing depth and offering experience to players that under the old rules would not have seen any game time has helped our program. Too what extent is TBD but I cannot help but believe this will pay solid dividends this season and beyond.

The question I have is to what extent will we see a repeat of last season. Obviously...again...there should be a bit less opportunity to insert new players with better-experienced ones on the field. Still, how do you not take advantage...particularly IU...of getting playing time for the critical issue of depth, IU's #1 bug-a-boo since time immemorial?

It's a good problem imo...but a logistical nightmare. How do you think it's going to play out and who are the priorities for getting that PT?

PSSSS....At least this is a conversation with more relevance than someone's ethnicity...
I don't think it was chaotic or a logistical nightmare. You have kids who show up in practice and make plays and kids that struggle developing, learning, and getting the change of life thats taking place. Probably early in the week the coaches get together and discuss playing time for who and where. It presents an easier road IMO with more options. You also have to consider matchups aka a true fresh going against a 5th year senior and such. BUT some kids are more ready for that than others. Not all as we saw during games last year but hopefully it pays off. Its the same for every team though when building the roster so not an advantage for any one team IMO.

As far as IU however, I believe we played alot more youth than the norm and actually went over and beyond for some trues last year only because of injuries and need. Then it becomes a coaching and development process and that is where these coaches earn their stripes. This particular crew, besides DeBoer, has been together for three years so these kids should know exactly what they want and where they want them to be. Practices should be smooth as silk without all the change and a massive amount of reps which produce knowledge, confidence, and playing fast.

Should be close to the breakout its just a matter of how good these coaches are and were about to find out!

The four game rule is a real benefit for players. The best example may be Stallings losing a year of eligibility for part time play in the first game of his freshman year and not seeing the field the rest of the year.

There are three levels of freshmen - those ready to play in the rotation, those good enough to for spot duty in 4 games, and those needing a full year to become accustomed to college.

The group that really benefits are those that can play but not full time as they gain game experience but still hold on to four years of eligibility.

The four game rule is a real benefit for players. The best example may be Stallings losing a year of eligibility for part time play in the first game of his freshman year and not seeing the field the rest of the year.

There are three levels of freshmen - those ready to play in the rotation, those good enough to for spot duty in 4 games, and those needing a full year to become accustomed to college.

The group that really benefits are those that can play but not full time as they gain game experience but still hold on to four years of eligibility.

His bio says he made one appearance and that that appearance was was in the season opener. So his RS opportunity would still be available under the old rules, too.

Reactions: IUCol
This new rule affects IU way more than it would other more middle-grade teams. Depth has been and will be our biggest weakness fighting to cross the magic 6 win milestone. The freshman rule impacts our chances of doing that more than any other single event since I have been watching IU FB for more than 40 years. How the coaches handle this can make or break them. As we get better, the impact should be less but who knows.

One thing is for certain...significant this is...whether some can see that or not. Ask Allen...vbg

Reactions: vesuvius13
This new rule affects IU way more than it would other more middle-grade teams. Depth has been and will be our biggest weakness fighting to cross the magic 6 win milestone. The freshman rule impacts our chances of doing that more than any other single event since I have been watching IU FB for more than 40 years. How the coaches handle this can make or break them. As we get better, the impact should be less but who knows.
Wouldn't have Penix lost his year under the old rule? Even with some kind of hardship appeal, he was in his fourth game.

Wouldn't have Penix lost his year under the old rule? Even with some kind of hardship appeal, he was in his fourth game.

I think He still would have gotten the year back since he had not taken a RS year. I believe that the rule was that if you played in 4 games or less and none in the second half of the season, you qualify for a medical RS, if you haven’t used a RS year (5 years to play 4)

The complications come in when someone gets injured after already using a RS year, and needs approval for a 6th year

Sure seemed to me during that game (Penn State) they (the coaches) made a decision to stick with Penix. I can't find the whole game BTN2Go from last year but would love to rewatch. Penix was hitting guys and we had so many drops...I was loving the fact that he was hanging in the pocket and getting rid of the ball while getting hit with such a quick release. AND he wasn't dumping it he was rifling it downfield our guys were not hanging on to the damn ball. It was a breath of fresh air!

Sure seemed to me during that game (Penn State) they (the coaches) made a decision to stick with Penix. I can't find the whole game BTN2Go from last year but would love to rewatch. Penix was hitting guys and we had so many drops...I was loving the fact that he was hanging in the pocket and getting rid of the ball while getting hit with such a quick release. AND he wasn't dumping it he was rifling it downfield our guys were not hanging on to the damn ball. It was a breath of fresh air!
Okay...but that's not the way I remember it. Inaccuracy was the problem with drops...but world-beater he did not look to me.

I'm convinced he would have won the starting position that game had he not been hurt.

Okay...but that's not the way I remember it. Inaccuracy was the problem with drops...but world-beater he did not look to me.
We saw something completely different then. I actually thought the sun was in our guys eyes or something. I was pissed at how many times he hit guys on the numbers and they just flat dropped balls. Maybe they weren't used to that velocity but he was hitting guys.

On the flip side mcsorley was inaccurate and overthrew some balls that would have been conversions...jus sayin

Edit: Just rewatched that game
1st there were 3 drops in the 1st Q at
3:33 Hale Reason Velocity
3:31 Scott Reason Velocity
3:25 Westbrook Reason possible pass interference but went right through his hands. 45 yard pass.

Gotta say Penix just has a damn rifle. He throws it so damn hard I can see why its tough for these guys to adjust. But they gotta catch these balls! They adjusted in the 2nd quarter better but as IU Col said he did have a couple bad throws too. One was a pass interference though as the db was all over Hale.

Last edited:

One thing is for certain...significant this is...whether some can see that or not. Ask Allen...vbg

I think it helps IU. If you think a guy can help you early throw him in there. If you're wrong you can pull him and you haven't wrecked his RS. If he needs time to develop you can play him at the end of the year when attrition is setting in....and still redshirt. I love this rule for IU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT