ADVERTISEMENT

The beauty of a simple meal

In Sept I'll be doing a fly-in trip to a middle of nowhere lake in Ontario to fish for Walleye and Northern Pike for 7 days. we'll be eating a few pounds of walleye a day each the whole trip. it's amazing. by day 5 you start experiencing the issues of an almost 0% fiber diet though.
I spent a week on Lake of the Woods fishing years ago. Awesome trip.

In Sept I'll be doing a fly-in trip to a middle of nowhere lake in Ontario to fish for Walleye and Northern Pike for 7 days. we'll be eating a few pounds of walleye a day each the whole trip. it's amazing. by day 5 you start experiencing the issues of an almost 0% fiber diet though.
When and where? I'll be on Trout Lake the week of Labor Day.

When and where? I'll be on Trout Lake the week of Labor Day.

Nice! Trout Lake by North Bay? 2nd week of Sept we'll be on Mountairy Lake (150ish miles NW of Thunder Bay).

You'll appreciate this: we did this same lake, same outfitter two years ago. we chatted with the owner before flying out. a non-french Canadian dude maybe in his early 40s. he said we could get moose to the lake's edge if we call them and then tried to show me and my cousins how to do it. my call was awful so I said I sounded more like a Wookie. Owner didn't get it. I'm like, you know, Chewbacca? blank stare. Star Wars? dude had never heard of that shit. just spent his whole life fishing, tracking moose, and making love to fit women who drive 4x4s. what a waste. lol.

Nice! Trout Lake by North Bay? 2nd week of Sept we'll be on Mountairy Lake (150ish miles NW of Thunder Bay).

You'll appreciate this: we did this same lake, same outfitter two years ago. we chatted with the owner before flying out. a non-french Canadian dude maybe in his early 40s. he said we could get moose to the lake's edge if we call them and then tried to show me and my cousins how to do it. my call was awful so I said I sounded more like a Wookie. Owner didn't get it. I'm like, you know, Chewbacca? blank stare. Star Wars? dude had never heard of that shit. just spent his whole life fishing, tracking moose, and making love to fit women who drive 4x4s. what a waste. lol.
Sounds like a Canadian Dream Teamer.

Apropos of nothing I had an office across from the Fatted calf for a decade. I could literally shit on command

We're east of Woodland Caribou. Flight is out of Red Lake. 10 years ago I would have given my left nut to do a wilderness canoe trip in Woodland Caribou, now I'm basically right there and flying away from it to stay at a lodge. LOL

Apropos of nothing I had an office across from the Fatted calf for a decade. I could literally shit on command

hahahahaha never been there but I could eat lamb anywhere, anytime. I could cuddle one, fall in love with one, and then eat its face.

I did a Paleo diet in my late 30s. I really liked it minus the runs. my southern border was not secure.

hahahahaha never been there but I could eat lamb anywhere, anytime. I could cuddle one, fall in love with one, and then eat its face.

I did a Paleo diet in my late 30s. I really liked it minus the runs. my southern border was not secure.
Manichi!!! What. The. Fck!!!! Best burger in town without compare until they burned it down. I’m shocked. Who even are you

• Haha
Reactions: manichi
We're east of Woodland Caribou. Flight is out of Red Lake. 10 years ago I would have given my left nut to do a wilderness canoe trip in Woodland Caribou, now I'm basically right there and flying away from it to stay at a lodge. LOL

oh wow, that is out there! looks fantastic.

I hear ya there! we used to put into a lake from our cars and then portage until we were a few lakes out. it was an adventure but a huge pain in the ass. now we're fishing within a couple hours of the plane leaving. way better!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

this last outfitter told us we may see through paddlers on the lake. we didn't but it's crazy to try to figure out their courses on maps. another thing I would have liked to try as a young dude but wouldn't do now for money.

this last outfitter told us we may see through paddlers on the lake. we didn't but it's crazy to try to figure out their courses on maps. another thing I would have liked to try as a young dude but wouldn't do now for money.
I love that stuff, but a couple weeks out there is probably not in the cards anymore. Quetico is probably as wild as I'll get now.

Good read.

Hemingways last sought-after meal appears to have been a NY strip, baked potato, Caesar salad, and glass of Bordeaux. Pretty good.

You get three items and a drink. List your favorite simple meal.
Same as Ernest but a ribeye. And the whole bottle of Bordeaux.

Lamb chops or Ribeye medium rare

White corn on the cob w/butter, salt, pepper

Tomato slices (if they’re from a garden in Indiana) because Cali tomatoes suck.

Otherwise , pasta salad.

Pliny the Elder

Pretty much my every Sunday afternoon meal.

Out of everything in the world, tomato slices?

I don't know about that one, but it's your meal, so maybe I'm just missing out on something I don't know about.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I'll have to give it a whirl next time we do burgers?

Best left alone or should I throw it on the grill?
It’s basically a caprese salad. Like last night, when a have a mess of smaller tomatoes, I’ll just halve them, cut up fresh mozzarella, throw them in a bowl with olive oil and balsamic and S&P. It’s even better if the tomatoes marinate a bit in the fridge.

oh wow, that is out there! looks fantastic.

I hear ya there! we used to put into a lake from our cars and then portage until we were a few lakes out. it was an adventure but a huge pain in the ass. now we're fishing within a couple hours of the plane leaving. way better!
I did a canoe trip in Boundary Waters Minnesota when I was in Boy scouts. It was pretty epic. 7 days in the middle of nowhere.

Lamb chops or Ribeye medium rare

White corn on the cob w/butter, salt, pepper

Tomato slices (if they’re from a garden in Indiana) because Cali tomatoes suck.

Otherwise , pasta salad.

Pliny the Elder

Pretty much my every Sunday afternoon meal.
Lucky man

Reactions: Morrison
I did a canoe trip in Boundary Waters Minnesota when I was in Boy scouts. It was pretty epic. 7 days in the middle of nowhere.
I obviously don't know your family situation, but look into it again, especially if you have kids. You can go as easy or hard core as you like. Sawbill has single day and overnight permits and Sawbill outfitters are good people to work with. I've gone in from that entry point 3 or 4 times and have also camped at the USFS campground and done day trips with my wife and some of her extended family.

From Sawbill you have several multiple day loops or out and back options, and you can also do several single portage routes and base camp on one of the surrounding lakes.

Out of everything in the world, tomato slices?

I don't know about that one, but it's your meal, so maybe I'm just missing out on something I don't know about.
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned garden tomato slices and it brought back memories of when I go back to Indiana and eat fresh veggies out of the garden. Dude, you live in Indiana, and there’s no better food on earth than home grown tomatoes out of a garden.

Actually, I usually make sautéed mushrooms to go with my Ribeye and white corn on the cob. Cooking it up as I type this. Pliny for my drink and dessert. 😊

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned garden tomato slices and it brought back memories of when I go back to Indiana and eat fresh veggies out of the garden. Dude, you live in Indiana, and there’s no better food on earth than home grown tomatoes out of a garden.

Actually, I usually make sautéed mushrooms to go with my Ribeye and white corn on the cob. Cooking it up as I type this. Pliny for my drink and dessert. 😊
I like to make Fried Green Tomatoes and throw it on a pork burger. You have to be willing to embrace your inner hillbilliness .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT