ADVERTISEMENT

The beauty of a simple meal

BradStevens

All-American
Sep 7, 2023

Good read.

Hemingways last sought-after meal appears to have been a NY strip, baked potato, Caesar salad, and glass of Bordeaux. Pretty good.

You get three items and a drink. List your favorite simple meal.

Good read.

Hemingways last sought-after meal appears to have been a NY strip, baked potato, Caesar salad, and glass of Bordeaux. Pretty good.

Too hard

Too hard

It's not:

1. Fire grilled, thick bone-in ribeye (salt and pepper seasoned)

2. Sauteed spinich w/ olive oil and garlic

3. Garden salad with lemon vinaigrette

4. Glass of mid-level grenache

It's not:

1. Fire grilled, thick bone-in ribeye (salt and pepper seasoned)

2. Sauteed spinich w/ olive oil and garlic

3. Garden salad with lemon vinaigrette

4. Glass of mid-level grenache
I’ll give you the steak but I’d change the rest.

2. Bone in pork chop, thick cut, with farm dust seasoning.

3. 2 pounds king crab legs with melted butter.

4. Cold iced tea, sweetened to taste. Or high end bourbon, if you prefer.

I’m a carnivore, baby. Seriously, that’s a dream meal for me.

I’ll give you the steak but I’d change the rest.

2. Bone in pork chop, thick cut, with farm dust seasoning.

3. 2 pounds king crab legs with melted butter.

4. Cold iced tea, sweetened to taste. Or high end bourbon, if you prefer.

I’m a carnivore, baby. Seriously, that’s a dream meal for me.
Sounds good but I like my tea unsweetened and I’d add a baked potato. My wife would insist on a salad but I’d eat less of it than she’d like. Also with bleu cheese dressing because I really like it. 😎

Sounds good but I like my tea unsweetened and I’d add a baked potato. My wife would insist on a salad but I’d eat less of it than she’d like. Also with bleu cheese dressing because I really like it. 😎
I’d grudgingly allow the baked potato and salad, for the same reason. My wife would insist on the salad.

But I’ll take thousand island dressing for the salad and NO SOUR CREAM on the potato. Butter only.

I cannot STAND sour cream on a baked potato.

I’d grudgingly allow the baked potato and salad, for the same reason. My wife would insist on the salad.

But I’ll take thousand island dressing for the salad and NO SOUR CREAM on the potato. Butter only.

so, your last meal you have to get permission from your wife? I assume she's not going to hell so you will never see her again, eat what you want

I’m with you on the sour cream. Don’t like it and I go butter - real butter. I could eat thousand island and some other dressings, but I really like bleu cheese best. Love it with wings too. Only females and little boys take ranch with wings.

so, your last meal you have to get permission from your wife? I assume she's not going to hell so you will never see her again, eat what you want
Wait, I thought this was just a simple meal. It’s a last meal?

Also, the wife’s not going to hell but I am? That’s some low key shade right there.

Very nice.

Good read.

I used to work with this lawyer back in the day. Super interesting guy. Well, his marriage went tits up in his 50s. So he vacationed at Key West solo. When he returned, I asked how the trip went. He deadpanned, “Only slightly worse than Hemmingways last visit”.

1 - Bone in, blackened pork chop

2 - Baked potato w/ butter, cheese and bacon

3 - green beans w/ bacon

4 - 2 hearted

I've kind of found a runaround by adding the bacon, but it's so good with potatoes and green beans.
Damn. Green beans with bacon is the shite. I’m kicking the potato and going with that.

I fix green beans with bacon twice a week in the summer when the garden is rolling along. In a pinch, you can add a little bacon grease from the Mason jar to canned green beans in the winter.
Fry up the bacon and add the grease to the pot of beans along with the bacon.

Thats what my wife does.

Damn, I’m getting hungry.

We’ll need salad for all the women though. And wine coolers.

Don’t worry, the ladies will get plenty of “meat”.
Well the ladies will be pleased to know I’m also working on getting Stallone to make an appearance. Not sly. Frank. Check out Frank’s instagram. He’s DEFINITELY a dream teamer 🤣🤣

We’ll need salad for all the women though. And wine coolers.

Don’t worry, the ladies will get plenty of “meat”.
5cefc1b2ca0d35763b57728d2ca486e9.gif

I like to take it and add bacon, garlic, pepper and some onion salt, wrap it in foil and cook it on the grill. Doesn’t take long until it’s just right - a little crispy and very tasty.
Olive oil in a cast iron pan, couple of strips of bacon chopped, sliced onions, shredded cabbage, a finely diced apple, paprika, salt, and pepper. On the grill about 20-30 minutes before your chops go on. Don't touch it again until you put the meat on. Stir it to get the caramelized bits off the bottom and finally pull it after your chops have rested.

Simple, not last. Just a simple, great meal.
I like beat Bobby flay. I record them and watch them at dinner with my daughter. Amazing what he slaps together. For a long time I fast forwarded the recordings and then would save them to watch with her knowing the outcome. No one ever beats bobby. He’s never lost. Took her a bit to catch on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT