ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible final play call

jmdkhoosier

Recruit
Feb 11, 2010
why would you send Cobbs where there are more defenders to defend the pass? Should have been him on one side by himself one on one and go that direction. Throw it towards the corner or a slant.

Reactions: IUgradman
Tough situation. Indiana's running game has neither size nor speed. I didn't get any of the calls in the last series

Funny, everyone recognizes that but yet the coaches still try running up the middle REPEATEDLY!!!

As a Junior and Senior, Ramsey will win games like this for us.
Well, Michigan may not oblige us by being as bad as they are this year. I do agree Ramsey will improve, but it may be more a payoff with lesser teams on the other side. Today was a missed opportunity to end a problem that dates back to the Reagan administration.

Terrible final series of downs. You have 4 yards and you go RO w/ pre-determined read once, a zone read w/ pre-determined read once and a rollout with 3/4ths of your play? Didn't even give themselves a chance.

But this is the same team that didn't even look at Cobbs more than twice until the final minute of the game, so...

The good news is we have two more ranked teams on the schedule! If only we played in the Western division.

Well, Michigan may not oblige us by being as bad as they are this year. I do agree Ramsey will improve, but it may be more a payoff with lesser teams on the other side. Today was a missed opportunity to end a problem that dates back to the Reagan administration.

You mean yet ANOTHER missed opportunity. It's been an almost annual occurrence the past few years against Michigan.

You mean yet ANOTHER missed opportunity. It's been an almost annual occurrence the past few years against Michigan.
Yeah. The issue is that UM has been bad enough for us to at least be "in range" of them. But once UM starts being UM again, it may be another 15-20 years that were even within a single score in the 4th quarter again, no matter how much "improvement" we make.

With Jim Harbaugh they'll always be beatable. He's as good a coach as his brother in law.

Yeah. The issue is that UM has been bad enough for us to at least be "in range" of them. But once UM starts being UM again, it may be another 15-20 years that were even within a single score in the 4th quarter again, no matter how much "improvement" we make.

I'm not sure Harbaugh will get there. They'll probably end up 8-5 or 9-4 which will lead to lots of open grumbling and will hurt his recruiting. Dude has always had a limited shelf life every place he's coached as well.

OSU/PSU/Michigan all can't be great every year either.

Last edited:
Reactions: CYBERTECMARK
I'm not sure Harbaugh will get there. They'll probably end up 8-5 or 9-4 which will lead to lots of open grumbling and will hurt his recruiting.

OSU/PSU/Michigan all can't be great every year either.
Agree, but if you look on the long-view of history, UM tends to be better than they are. Hence the importance of cashing in on when they're in the same neighborhood as us. Again, there are reasons why such streaks are 30+ years...and growing.

Tough situation. Indiana's running game has neither size nor speed. I didn't get any of the calls in the last series

You didn't get any of the calls in the last series? Go back and watch them again. The first down Ramsey didn't get rid of the ball on time. Receiver was open for a long time and he led him OB. The second play, Ramsey made the wrong read. He is supposed to watch the DE, if the DE turns, he is to pull the ball and run. Either would have been an easy TD.

Ramsey will kick himself when he watches film.

This UM team is heads and shoulders better than anything Hoke or Rich Rod had. Those were the really down years. IU had opportunity then.

Rather than the final play we should be talking about giving up 200 on 25 carries on a day Michigan couldn't move the ball through the air.

The play calling was fine. Outside of the one drive after the half, our offensive line couldn't get a push on their defensive front all day. They forced us to pass then defended it well.

On the last series if Ramsey throws it sooner on the first play it's a touchdown. If he reads the option right runningback has a clear shot to the endzone. If Gary doesn't push his double team back and plug the hole,we waltz into the endzone on the run up the middle. You could find plays like this through the whole game. It just the way it is.

On the last series if Ramsey throws it sooner on the first play it's a touchdown. If he reads the option right runningback has a clear shot to the endzone. If Gary doesn't push his double team back and plug the hole,we waltz into the endzone on the run up the middle. You could find plays like this through the whole game. It just the way it is.
Yeah ... but. IU is never on the other end of ... the yeah but.

Reactions: reabhnt
Yeah, IU was great in the Red Zone last season under Wilson.

We had a point in the third quarter where IU had 3rd and 1/2 yd to go.... No doubt Wilson would have gone for it. That always worked out well.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Wilson's current offensive team on their way to 5 straight 50+ point productions. Yeah, Wilson has some major deficiencies in his coaching judgment, but apparently it wasn't deficient enough to keep him from being hired by the head coach of arguably the greatest team in college football today.

Yeah, IU was great in the Red Zone last season under Wilson.

We had a point in the third quarter where IU had 3rd and 1/2 yd to go.... No doubt Wilson would have gone for it. That always worked out well.
I hope we go for it EVERY SINGLE TIME on 3rd and a 1/2 yard...

I'm thinking more along the lines of Wilson's current offensive team on their way to 5 straight 50+ point productions. Yeah, Wilson has some major deficiencies in his coaching judgment, but apparently it wasn't deficient enough to keep him from being hired by the head coach of arguably the greatest team in college football today.

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of what he could do with IU level talent. Who knows what Debord / Allen might get done with the pieces OSU has to play with.

wilson looked really good with Oklahoma too.... Bradford, Peterson, that group.

BTW, I liked CKW but his riverboat gambler style in some of those situatiuoins was maddening. I can't really see why Allen asking himself what CKW would do would be a means to a better end.

I can't really see why Allen asking himself what CKW would do would be a means to a better end.
I was just having a little fun with the rubber wrist band mention. Actually, Allen would probably do better wearing a WWJD bracelet. Oh, the "J" is for Jesus for those not remembering trendy items related to church worship.

Reactions: SBendguy
I was just having a little fun with the rubber wrist band mention. Actually, Allen would probably do better wearing a WWJD bracelet. Oh, the "J" is for Jesus for those not remembering trendy items related to church worship.

Well....we need to quit pretending that Wilson himself walked on water, if you are going the religious angle on this one.

Funny, everyone recognizes that but yet the coaches still try running up the middle REPEATEDLY!!!
Don't know if you understand that Michigan is a fast defense. The MLB is under 6' and weighs less than 220 lbs but can run side to side you don't try to run around guys like that, you try to run right at him. Unfortunately he was equal to the task. The offensive line which is getting better will eventually be able to block these guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT