ADVERTISEMENT

Technology and memories

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
At least one thing modern technology is good for: in all the oppressive avalanche of data, sometimes you find things you really care about.

Even though I couldn't remember where it was - and now it's just a corn field, which makes it harder to find - I came across this picture from 2007 on Google Street View of the house my grandmother grew up in. I visited there as a kid, pumped water by hand in the yard, ate apples off the trees in the back (gone in this picture, sadly), and picked garter snakes out of the flower bed.

When my great-grandmother died, they sold the property, and all the buildings were torn down - although they saved a plank from the barn where my great-great-uncle (?) Jack carved a picture of a sailing ship and the date (1907? 1912? can't remember) - because the land was too valuable to leave empty buildings on.

That tower was the windmill my great-grandfather erected, which gave the township the first powered well. They even hooked up a generator to it, and they would have all their neighbors over in the evenings to listen to Glen Miller on the radio.

Anyway, to the rest of you, this is just an old farmhouse that doesn't exist anymore. But to me, it's an integral part of my family history. I'm sure the rest of you have little plots of land around the country that hold that same meaning, even if they are all just covered in corn now.

32b87882b2631a910b6a0340add45555891ec4ae.png

At least one thing modern technology is good for: in all the oppressive avalanche of data, sometimes you find things you really care about.

Even though I couldn't remember where it was - and now it's just a corn field, which makes it harder to find - I came across this picture from 2007 on Google Street View of the house my grandmother grew up in. I visited there as a kid, pumped water by hand in the yard, ate apples off the trees in the back (gone in this picture, sadly), and picked garter snakes out of the flower bed.

When my great-grandmother died, they sold the property, and all the buildings were torn down - although they saved a plank from the barn where my great-great-uncle (?) Jack carved a picture of a sailing ship and the date (1907? 1912? can't remember) - because the land was too valuable to leave empty buildings on.

That tower was the windmill my great-grandfather erected, which gave the township the first powered well. They even hooked up a generator to it, and they would have all their neighbors over in the evenings to listen to Glen Miller on the radio.

Anyway, to the rest of you, this is just an old farmhouse that doesn't exist anymore. But to me, it's an integral part of my family history. I'm sure the rest of you have little plots of land around the country that hold that same meaning, even if they are all just covered in corn now.

32b87882b2631a910b6a0340add45555891ec4ae.png
It’s becoming uncommon for people to have these connections to the land and we are the worse for it. Thanks for sharing part of your family history.

My hometown which has fallen on hard times has a website on which pictures of yesteryear are a popular feature. Pictures include obsolete factories and small mom and pop stores which have been closed down for decades. Invariably these pictures bring back proud memories of people who worked at these businesses.

Is it any wonder that politicians who promise to bring jobs back receive support from folks such as those who are struggling to make ends meet in my old hometown?

My hometown which has fallen on hard times has a website on which pictures of yesteryear are a popular feature. Pictures include obsolete factories and small mom and pop stores which have been closed down for decades. Invariably these pictures bring back proud memories of people who worked at these businesses.

Is it any wonder that politicians who promise to bring jobs back receive support from folks such as those who are struggling to make ends meet in my old hometown?

Looks like the street I grew up on. I could be any one of those kids. Home plate was a pavement defect in front of our driveway, first and third bases were trees in adjoining yards and second base had to be whatever we found to put on the street.

IMG_2527.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT