ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher turnover hits new highs

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
My wife was very successful at her profession but wanted to give back and became a teacher. We sacrificed for her to go back to school. Got a position after graduating with a Masters degree for jack**** money but that was fine - it was what she wanted to do. She lasted six years - the parents were nuts, kids were always threatening teachers and each other, admin just ignored teachers concerns etc etc… one amusing story….some student found out about her political leaning and wrote on her evaluation that she deserved an “F-minus” because of her beliefs. She left teaching and still doesn’t make much money but she’s safer and less stressed. No one appreciated anything she tried to do for those kids. I felt terrible for her because she really thought it was the right thing to do. I said F them all they don’t deserve your efforts for $30K a year.

Then you should have some quantitative numbers? Here is an article with a graph of test scores over time for 4th and 8th graders. COVID has caused problems. But 2019 I do not see a collapse.

The evidence is all around us. Increasing intolerance, increasing medications for anxiety and depression, increasing suicides, more homelessness, more drug use, more unfilled skilled jobs more minority youth violence, less mutual respect.. I could go on. To be sure, poor education does not cause all of these social maladies, but I think a poorly educated population is the most important among all the factors.

Reactions: DANC
The evidence is all around us. Increasing intolerance, increasing medications for anxiety and depression, increasing suicides, more homelessness, more drug use, more unfilled skilled jobs more minority youth violence, less mutual respect.. I could go on. To be sure, poor education does not cause all of these social maladies, but I think a poorly educated population is the most important among all the factors.
Another issue is the epigenetic changes at the molecular level. People with mental diseases and drug addictions survive longer in modern times (for various reasons) and genetic changes that promote certain behaviors continue to multiply in the population.

• Wow
Reactions: UncleMark
This has been my point in the rights decades old march against teachers and the profession. We can denigrate teachers and make sure they are unpaid, but what is the end game? If it’s that our educational system completes fails, count me out. This the unfortunate bomb throwing part of the GOP that wants to tear things down with no plan on how to make things better.

Both parties suck and are detrimental to teaching, along with most aspects of progress and success. That being said, isn't part of the problem not simply the cost of teacher compensation, but the costs of: 1) admistration (at all levels) and 2) the cost of college?

If teacher compenasation kept up with college inflation, more talented people would think about entering the profession.

I'd also like to point out that teachers often think they are alone. There are many professions that have failed to see real wage growth over the last several decades.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Yeah, they are really important. I screwed up with my 12-year-old. He's in with the same crowd I was when I was young--sports obsessed. When I mentioned math camp just the other day (I researched them Marv! There aren't that many!), he came close to breaking down in tears, begging me not to send him. I should have scheduled nerd play dates!
FYI, if I recall from some of your earlier posts, you are in the Chicagoland area. Check out Russian School of Math (multiple locations). Last summer, we sent our rising 4th grader and 8th grader. 2 nights a week (5:30-7:30ish). It didn’t interfere with camps or summer sports. They both really enjoyed it, liked meeting a mix of kids from other schools and the 2 hours straight they felt was more effective (plus there was homework). Both took classes that helped them lean in to their upcoming curriculum. The biggest benefit I observed was avoiding “summer brain”. Cost was very reasonable vs other summer activities (they do provide year round curriculum as a supplement, but for right now we have only signed up for summers).

Another issue is the epigenetic changes at the molecular level. People with mental diseases and drug addictions survive longer in modern times (for various reasons) and genetic changes that promote certain behaviors continue to multiply in the population.
Lamark trumps Darwin once again.

FYI, if I recall from some of your earlier posts, you are in the Chicagoland area. Check out Russian School of Math (multiple locations). Last summer, we sent our rising 4th grader and 8th grader. 2 nights a week (5:30-7:30ish). It didn’t interfere with camps or summer sports. They both really enjoyed it, liked meeting a mix of kids from other schools and the 2 hours straight they felt was more effective (plus there was homework). Both took classes that helped them lean in to their upcoming curriculum. The biggest benefit I observed was avoiding “summer brain”. Cost was very reasonable vs other summer activities (they do provide year round curriculum as a supplement, but for right now we have only signed up for summers).
Did the same with my kids. Helps them start the new school year with a strong foundation in that year's math and even to tutor their classmates some (which is one way that we've found they can really cement the learning.)

Thanks. I've read about Russian Math and have been interested. If my kids were younger, I think I would have done that. I'm looking more for something that would get him interested in competitive math competitions.

You need only to look at the graduation rates of teachers from our universities on a graph to see the problem. When I attended the Indiana Graduation 10 years ago the smallest discipline was the Dept of Education. It was an absurd event. From my football season ticket seats, it reminded me of some medieval ceremony. I was shocked at the number of teachers. Not enough to support Indy, let alone the entire state.

You need only to look at the graduation rates of teachers from our universities on a graph to see the problem. When I attended the Indiana Graduation 10 years ago the smallest discipline was the Dept of Education. It was an absurd event. From my football season ticket seats, it reminded me of some medieval ceremony. I was shocked at the number of teachers. Not enough to support Indy, let alone the entire state.
And a lot of the ones quitting are the younger ones. Just at my kids school of the 10 or so who’ve quit in their elementary time it’s been the young ones. I’d say it’s half/half as far as career change or going to online teaching.

Here is a ”well do’uh“ link. The nations’ IQ is slipping. It’s slipping among age groups most recently out of the public education system. The authors of this study claim to have factored out other causes and conclude that our educational system is failing. I agre. I think the empirical evidence of that is everywhere. Kids are not taught to think. They are taught to conform and to allow their feelings dominate their behavior. This is new. It isn’t historical as you suggest. I’m not surprised. This is part of our decline,

Here is a ”well do’uh“ link. The nations’ IQ is slipping. It’s slipping among age groups most recently out of the public education system. The authors of this study claim to have factored out other causes and conclude that our educational system is failing. I agre. I think the empirical evidence of that is everywhere. Kids are not taught to think. They are taught to conform and to allow their feelings dominate their behavior. This is new. It isn’t historical as you suggest. I’m not surprised. This is part of our decline,

I am not sure I buy into their cause, but this is a worldwide problem since 1975. Do we think woke started causing lower IQs across the world starting in 1975:

The average rate of decline has been around three IQ points a decade, amounting to the loss of about 13.5 percent in average intelligence between 1975 and 2020. Results from separate studies carried out in seven different countries describe a general loss of intelligence. So far, researchers have been unable to confidently assign a cause to this noteworthy decline, saying only that it is not genetic and must therefore be due to something in society’s living environment.​

Here is another study showing worldwide decline, yes the bottom 2 are projections :

Year Population×109 Mean IQ
1950​
2.55​
91.64​
1975​
4.08​
90.80​
2000​
6.07​
89.20​
2025​
7.82​
87.81​
2050​
9.06​
86.32​

I think the smaller schools graduate more teachers - Ball State, for example.

I don't think IU is really noted for its Education department.

I am not sure I buy into their cause, but this is a worldwide problem since 1975. Do we think woke started causing lower IQs across the world starting in 1975:

The average rate of decline has been around three IQ points a decade, amounting to the loss of about 13.5 percent in average intelligence between 1975 and 2020. Results from separate studies carried out in seven different countries describe a general loss of intelligence. So far, researchers have been unable to confidently assign a cause to this noteworthy decline, saying only that it is not genetic and must therefore be due to something in society’s living environment.​

Here is another study showing worldwide decline, yes the bottom 2 are projections :

1950​
2.55​
91.64​
1975​
4.08​
90.80​
2000​
6.07​
89.20​
2025​
7.82​
87.81​
2050​
9.06​
86.32​
Perfect example is this board. Everyone over 60, except Mark, is a helluva lot smarter than the younger ones.

I keed, I keed......

Last edited:

1950​
2.55​
91.64​
1975​
4.08​
90.80​
2000​
6.07​
89.20​
2025​
7.82​
87.81​
2050​
9.06​
86.32​
We don't have to exercise our brains as much anymore is my guess. When I was a kid I think of all the stuff I used to have to memorize that are in our pockets now. Friends and family phone numbers, spelling, basic math, just random dumb facts.

I think technology is literally making us dumber. It does the thinking for us so we have people never really developing an ability to do it for themselves.

We don't have to exercise our brains as much anymore is my guess. When I was a kid I think of all the stuff I used to have to memorize that are in our pockets now. Friends and family phone numbers, spelling, basic math, just random dumb facts.

I think technology is literally making us dumber. It does the thinking for us so we have people never really developing an ability to do it for themselves.
I just wonder how the sampling is done. Are more people being tested for IQ now vs 50 or 100 years ago?

It would be interesting if there was a study on native tribes that haven't been affected as much by technology over the last century - did their IQ go down, too?

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Perfect example is this board. Everyone over 60, except Mark, is a helluva lot smarter than the younger ones.

I keed, I keed......
IQ scores measure nothing more than ones ability to score well on IQ tests. My Mensa card is proof of that.

IQ scores measure nothing more than ones ability to score well on IQ tests. My Mensa card is proof of that.
No, they measure something. Here's an article making a version of your claim, but even it admits that IQ correlates strongly with a lot of things we associate with intelligence:

"IQ is part of a large “nexus” of positively correlated societal outcomes. IQ correlates positively with family income, socioeconomic status, school and occupational performance, military training assignments, law-abidingness, healthful habits, illness, and morality. In contrast, IQ is negatively correlated with welfare, psychopathology, crime, inattentiveness, boredom, delinquency, and poverty. The correlations exist.
. . .
To be clear: IQ tests do not simply index family background. IQ and SAT scores are still correlated with important academic and societal outcomes even after taking into account socioeconomic status."

No, they measure something. Here's an article making a version of your claim, but even it admits that IQ correlates strongly with a lot of things we associate with intelligence:

"IQ is part of a large “nexus” of positively correlated societal outcomes. IQ correlates positively with family income, socioeconomic status, school and occupational performance, military training assignments, law-abidingness, healthful habits, illness, and morality. In contrast, IQ is negatively correlated with welfare, psychopathology, crime, inattentiveness, boredom, delinquency, and poverty. The correlations exist.
. . .
To be clear: IQ tests do not simply index family background. IQ and SAT scores are still correlated with important academic and societal outcomes even after taking into account socioeconomic status."
Donald Trump will never be accused of being smart, and I will never be considered successful.

Maybe I'm just too smart for my own good.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I know those of us on the right like to bitch about teachers but that is one tough gig. Throw in the culture staff, how litigious people are, tech, kids having issues at home, and that ain’t a gig for the faint of heart
my wife works in the school system and I constantly hear the stories

I used to joke that I can handle kids one at a time but put me in a room with 25 of them for 8 hrs a day...

I'd either be going to jail for pinning one by the throat up against the wall

or hiding, curled up somewhere in a corner with a bottle of booze

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I think the smaller schools graduate more teachers - Ball State, for example.

I don't think IU is really noted for its Education department.

I do not know about numbers of graduates, but it is rated fairly highly.

Not a big fan of the IQ test myself.

And for you assholes who will reply "That's because you score low on it", the jokes on you - I've never taken one.

I do not know about numbers of graduates, but it is rated fairly highly.

LOL That's an IU site.......

I didn't say it wasn't a quality school - I said smaller colleges graduate more teachers and I believe that to be true.

IU’s education department was all loose, rich Jewish girls when I went there.
I'll pull a Joe Biden here - this is no lie: My wife was in the same sorority with a girl who was in the Dept of Education, studying to be a teacher. One class SHE NEVER WENT TO A SINGLE CLASS. Got all F's that semester.

She went on to have a long career as a teacher outside Atlanta, Ga.

LOL That's an IU site.......

I didn't say it wasn't a quality school - I said smaller colleges graduate more teachers and I believe that to be true.
It is an IU site but those are not IU generated rankings.

I’m readings a lot about how the education system is failing or has failed. But I’m not seeing a lot of recognition that losing teachers, those adults who spend 13 years and 8 hours a day with our kids, is a huge societal problem. Ensuring that the teaching profession attracts the best and brightest to educate our kids shouldn’t be political.

I live is a very red state and the local school district is very conservative, yet we are dealing with this issue too. This isn’t a “woke” issue that can be brushed off as a California problem. This is a local problem regardless where you live.

I’m readings a lot about how the education system is failing or has failed. But I’m not seeing a lot of recognition that losing teachers, those adults who spend 13 years and 8 hours a day with our kids, is a huge societal problem. Ensuring that the teaching profession attracts the best and brightest to educate our kids shouldn’t be political.

I live is a very red state and the local school district is very conservative, yet we are dealing with this issue too. This isn’t a “woke” issue that can be brushed off as a California problem. This is a local problem regardless where you live.
I agree with all this except the bolded part. I don't think the teaching profession has ever attracted the best and brightest, certainly not at the K-12 level. Maybe we should try for that, but if so, we would have to dramatically increase teacher salaries, while firing a lot of current teachers.

And remember, we have 3.6 to 3.8 million teachers in the US. That's a lot of money.

The cost or investment in teaching does not make sense for IUB grads.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
I agree with all this except the bolded part. I don't think the teaching profession has ever attracted the best and brightest, certainly not at the K-12 level. Maybe we should try for that, but if so, we would have to dramatically increase teacher salaries, while firing a lot of current teachers.

And remember, we have 3.6 to 3.8 million teachers in the US. That's a lot of money.
Fair call on that hyperbole. How about this, it should be viewed as a profession we would all be proud for our kids to go into? Instead, looking at ROI and job satisfaction, most sober minded parents would dissuade their kids from becoming teachers. I find that profoundly disappointing.

Fair call on that hyperbole. How about this, it should be viewed as a profession we would all be proud for our kids to go into? Instead, looking at ROI and job satisfaction, most sober minded parents would dissuade their kids from becoming teachers. I find that profoundly disappointing.
I've called for this before on here. I'm all for it. But that means year-round work (no summers off) and longer days for teachers, more continuing education, etc. Current teachers would riot.

And to get the extra money needed for this (which the Repubs will be hard to convince), we are going to need to de-politicize teaching and the teacher's unions. I'm not sure the Dems will go for that.

It's a tough nut to crack.

I've called for this before on here. I'm all for it. But that means year-round work (no summers off) and longer days for teachers, more continuing education, etc. Current teachers would riot.

And to get the extra money needed for this (which the Repubs will be hard to convince), we are going to need to de-politicize teaching and the teacher's unions. I'm not sure the Dems will go for that.

It's a tough nut to crack.
That nuts only going to get tougher to crack with home prices and car prices. Teacher in public schools here starts at $43k with an M.A. and the yearly bumps are tiny. Doesn’t make sense to be a teacher

Teachers do get pensions, which I know I would much prefer over my 401K. Looking at the market this week, I'd much much prefer it to a 401k. So I am not sure pay alone needs to change that significantly.

I would think the improved student loan repayment for not-for-profit employees would also be a nice incentive to become a teacher. One might make a lot more in the private world, but they'll pay a whole lot more.

I suspect there are things we can to make teaching more attractive that don't cost that much.

Teachers do get pensions, which I know I would much prefer over my 401K. Looking at the market this week, I'd much much prefer it to a 401k. So I am not sure pay alone needs to change that significantly.

I would think the improved student loan repayment for not-for-profit employees would also be a nice incentive to become a teacher. One might make a lot more in the private world, but they'll pay a whole lot more.

I suspect there are things we can to make teaching more attractive that don't cost that much.
Pensions aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Getting $1500 a month isn’t the high life.

Pensions aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Getting $1500 a month isn’t the high life.
I bet Zeke is getting more than $1500 a month.

She's jetting all over the world on her teacher's pension.

IU doesn't give you a pension?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT