ADVERTISEMENT

Target center crowd/ game comments

Minneapolis has serious issues, just like almost any U.S. city, but when you actually go there it’s fine and there are plenty of nice things to do and places to go.

It has it's problems, like any big city.

Take away America's big cities, and what's left? Hee haw? Bathtub farters? Yokels who want credit for growing the food that the people they hate eat?

It's high time white people just shut up and count their blessings. When you say a big city is a cess pool, I know exactly EXACTLY what you mean, and it's horrible.

Take away America's big cities, and what's left? Hee haw? Bathtub farters? Yokels who want credit for growing the food that the people they hate eat?

It's high time white people just shut up and count their blessings. When you say a big city is a cess pool, I know exactly EXACTLY what you mean, and it's horrible.
ban UTFO from this site, please!

MR seemed out of it at times. 5 dumb TOs Add in MM and they were a combined 8-27. Both took some really bad, unadvised shots. Cupps and Leal hitting threes but no kick outs to them. I always wonder if Woodson even corrects these guys and lets them know what they’re doing wrong.
I'm getting the feeling that both X and MR are getting the short end of it with the refs, due to MR always being negatively animated over EVERY single foul that has ever been called on him, and then X for...well....for reasons we already know. Each of them had at least 2 fouls called on them last night that were total bullshit. The refs were bad all over the court, but X and MR seemed to get the worst of it.

But yeah, it just seemed like MR was not mentally dialed in for much of the game. he did hit, I think, 4 straight free throws sometime between the 8:00 and 4:00 min mark of the second half, so gotta give him that. Those turned out to be huge.

pls don't turn this into another Cooler thread. Go argue with that crowd if you want to tell political opponents to shut up.

My original point was that MSP was a bad choice due to overall logistics vs location of all the other schools, plus many teams having mediocre seasons at best. It would lead to less motivation for someone living in Columbus OH, Bloomington IN or East Lansing MI to get in a car and drive 10 hours for a the long weekend.

MR seemed out of it at times. 5 dumb TOs Add in MM and they were a combined 8-27. Both took some really bad, unadvised shots. Cupps and Leal hitting threes but no kick outs to them. I always wonder if Woodson even corrects these guys and lets them know what they’re doing wrong.
Also, has anyone else noticed how little our perimeter guys shot fake? Mbako does a good job, but Cupps, X, TG and Leal are never in shooting position on a catch and shot or pass fake. C'mon guys, make the game easier!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Also, has anyone else noticed how little our perimeter guys shot fake? Mbako does a good job, but Cupps, X, TG and Leal are never in shooting position on a catch and shot or pass fake. C'mon guys, make the game easier!
hell our interior guys don't pump fake either. Walker got face planted under the basket, all he needs to do is pump fake and watch the PSU guy do a Maverick/Goose fly by. I've seen this happen underneath all year. And yet, our guys tend to bite on the pump fake every time. All this AAU ball, or whatever it's called now, to 'showcase talent', but I really don't think they spend any time teaching the little things we were taught in 5th grade ball.

Still can't get over Woody saying "we beat a good team" 2 min after the game was over. Someone tell CMW that at one point in the first half, that good opponent was something like 1 for 15 on layups. He was right about one thing...his assessment "it was an ugly game" was spot on.

hell our interior guys don't pump fake either. Walker got face planted under the basket, all he needs to do is pump fake and watch the PSU guy do a Maverick/Goose fly by. I've seen this happen underneath all year. And yet, our guys tend to bite on the pump fake every time. All this AAU ball, or whatever it's called now, to 'showcase talent', but I really don't think they spend any time teaching the little things we were taught in 5th grade ball.

Still can't get over Woody saying "we beat a good team" 2 min after the game was over. Someone tell CMW that at one point in the first half, that good opponent was something like 1 for 15 on layups. He was right about one thing...his assessment "it was an ugly game" was spot on.
Yep, we're seeing the same thing. I don't think I've ever seen a team shot fake so little, and get bamboozled and out of position by other teams' shot fakes. Amazing to me at this level.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Only thing uglier than this style of ball game is the refereeing. Horrible. Both teams getting screwed equally.
X gets mugged going to the hoop with no foul called, yet when the PSU player drains a banked in "three" and makes it a four pt. play was a ridiculous call, I thought. The IU player grazed his hand AFTER the ball left his hand. It did not affect his shot. Why do the refs think a shot behind the three point line has to becalled more strict than if it had been inside the line? The refs should have done a "no call" since the slight contact came after the shot. It not like the player was knocked down to the floor. I thought overall the play calling was bad. I only noted one time the commenters said IU "got away with one". IU seemed to have multiple questionable calls, ie Reneau's third foul or his "all ball contact" reach-in foul. I think the refs have it out for Reneau, much like they do X. They know Malik gets called for the most of any BT player, plus he bellyaches about it every time. Their triggers are cocked whenever Reneau makes a move.

Reactions: bbafficionado
Yep, we're seeing the same thing. I don't think I've ever seen a team shot fake so little, and get bamboozled and out of position by other teams' shot fakes. Amazing to me at this level.
Malik does fairly regularly. He gives shoulder fakes, and steps through, all the time. Ware should never need to pump fake. Walker isn't a polished post player, at all.

I know it’s the last game but crowd looks 50% at best.

Some comments:

1) Was less than 50% full, majority of fans were IU fans; there were maybe 5 PSU fans

2) Atmosphere sucked, as it always does at Target Center - decent viewing angle venue, but there is never as much energy there (I don't go to many NBA games, so perhaps that is the norm)

3) Iowa was a big draw (proximity, # of alumni in the Twin Cities) the game before and after they lost, fans went for the exits

Minneapolis has serious issues, just like almost any U.S. city, but when you actually go there it’s fine and there are plenty of nice things to do and places to go.

It's better than it was and the crime is much more concentrated than Chicago.

The triple threat is dead.

absolutely he should. There's always value in getting a defender in the air... especially if his name is Zach Edey.
Nah. He’s 7 foot, long arms, and athletic. It’s unnecessary for him. Actually he did last night and that was one of the times Wahab blocked him, and got a jump ball out of it. Ware needs to catch, make a decisive move, elevate, and finish. He does that for the most part. And most in college can’t guard it.

Edey is an exception to most rules. And I’m not sure Ware pump faking Edey even is a good idea. Refs aren’t gonna call the foul on Edey anyways for any step through or finish attempt through a “fooled” Edey. I say catch and elevate and try to beat him to the rim.

The triple threat is dead.
It's not at all, just on our team. I watch it fool our guys regularly. Seriously, other teams use it all the time, but maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. I don't think so though. The perimeter guys for IL, WI, PU... again, just surprising to me at this level.

Nah. He’s 7 foot, long arms, and athletic. It’s unnecessary for him. Actually he did last night and that was one of the times Wahab blocked him, and got a jump ball out of it. Ware needs to catch, make a decisive move, elevate, and finish. He does that for the most part. And most in college can’t guard it.

Edey is an exception to most rules. And I’m not sure Ware pump faking Edey even is a good idea. Refs aren’t gonna call the foul on Edey anyways for any step through or finish attempt through a “fooled” Edey. I say catch and elevate and try to beat him to the rim.
agree to disagree. What makes a quick finish all the more effective, is that you've pump-faked a guy already, so the next time he stays on the floor. Can't be predictable. Again, that's a valuable tool to have in your kit, but you won't do it well, if you don't do it regularly. Heck McHale and Parrish were both terrific at using shot fakes, and by your logic they often had the same height advantage 30+ years ago that Ware does vs his opponents.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Minneapolis is not a cesspool.

I'm so sick of Americans dumping on ourselves. Don't you ever get tired of being so damn negative about your countrymen?

It's a bad look.

But, hey, go usa.
What??

1---You are a hypocrite. The exact thing you accuse someone of doing you do yourself times 3.
2---Did anyone say to get rid of the big cities?
3-- You pick on someone for being negative, really?
4-- Are you a circus mind reader? You know exactly what someone means without them saying it?
5-- You can tell the color of someone's skin by the statement "Minneapolis is a cesspool"?
6-- Got a problem with white people? Your a flat out racist.
7-- I thank God every day for the blessings we all enjoy, even yours.
8--Especially for the yokels who grow our food, and the abundance that they grow, that ends up feeding the world, and even you and the people who live in the big cities that couldn't even grow a bean plant.
9-- You of all people telling others to shut up, what a joke.
10- And this has nothing to do with politics because I dont read minds, make assumptions, or even care. But, hey, go USA.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
MSP was a bad choice by the B1G.
No. MSP is easy to fly into from anywhere. Downtown is easily accessible, and they do a great job of hosting. There is plenty of solid eating and drinking near the Target center.

Some of the biggest travel fan base programs just aren't very good this year. Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska aren't bringing the big crowds that normally show up at the B10 tournament.

No. MSP is easy to fly into from anywhere. Downtown is easily accessible, and they do a great job of hosting. There is plenty of solid eating and drinking near the Target center.

Some of the biggest travel fan base programs just aren't very good this year. Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska aren't bringing the big crowds that normally show up at the B10 tournament.
Well, that was the other half of what I said in a follow up post. Many of the teams with big fan bases aren’t driving all the way out to MSP to watch their mediocre team.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate

The assertion that Illinois is not a good traveling fan base is straight up asinine and demonstrably false.

You aren’t very bright mister.

The assertion that Illinois is not a good traveling fan base is straight up asinine and demonstrably false.
Exactly...I had some Illinois friends at the game tonight and according to them Illinois had a pretty big crowd, the weird thing was it was spread all across the arena versus in one area for some reason.

Didn't seem to have problems for the Women's tourney. Easier to get to MSP than somewhere like Indy.
Might've been the Caitlin Clark effect. I would think Iowa is the next closest school, and her impact and reach are huge for women's bball. I could easily imagine her alone drawing 5-10K. Lots of folks who otherwise might not go, think "I'll go watch my team and get to see CC play too!"

Appeared to be outnumbered last night. When was the last time we were outnumbered at a neutural site?

pls don't turn this into another Cooler thread. Go argue with that crowd if you want to tell political opponents to shut up.

My original point was that MSP was a bad choice due to overall logistics vs location of all the other schools, plus many teams having mediocre seasons at best. It would lead to less motivation for someone living in Columbus OH, Bloomington IN or East Lansing MI to get in a car and drive 10 hours for a the long weekend.
Thank you. I hope it returns to Chi or Indy.

Minneapolis is not a cesspool.

I'm so sick of Americans dumping on ourselves. Don't you ever get tired of being so damn negative about your countrymen?

It's a bad look.

But, hey, go usa.
Big cities are not bad if they are well run. But when they decide to forgo law and order then you are going to have a lot more problems because of the amount of people. If Mayberry has a crime spree it is 2 or 3 people doing it. But in a city like Raleigh if there is a crime spree it is 100s or 1000s. I have the feeling that many long time New Yorkers are crying because of what has happened to their city.

Maybe 2012 S16 game vs Uk when they had 7 months to purhase their tickets (In advanced, Atlanta regional) and IU only 4 days.

2016 was even with IU/UK & KU. Lots of people confused Ku and Uk similar blue with KU red as well.
The only fanbase that is bigger than ours is Kentucky, and we hold our own against them. I’m not sure any other fans could schedule 50/50 neutral site games like we used to at The RCA Dome and Freedom Hall — Im glad that is returning.

And they’re a little different with no pro sports in KY, the Cats are their “pro” team. Poor IU fans just love ball.

It’s a shame we waste all our program could be with poor hires and management. It sucks for the players who don’t get to win anything or make tourney runs, and the fans don’t get to support a team trying to accomplish something meaningful.

Might've been the Caitlin Clark effect. I would think Iowa is the next closest school, and her impact and reach are huge for women's bball. I could easily imagine her alone drawing 5-10K. Lots of folks who otherwise might not go, think "I'll go watch my team and get to see CC play too!"

100%. I wouldn’t go in any event, but people that did were to see her.

He only leaves drive by bullshit, much like on any forum. Car trips are for old people. This conference, for better or worse, is Coast to coast now. MSP is much easier to get to than Indy and has better hotels, etc.

Chicago is the natural choice, if there isn’t a desire to rotate, but the venues are actually in worse locations (UC sucks to get to and from and is in a terrible area, HF is boring af).

To your best point though, there’s no reason for mediocre Big ten East teams to travel anywhere this year.

He only leaves drive by bullshit, much like on any forum. Car trips are for old people. This conference, for better or worse, is Coast to coast now. MSP is much easier to get to than Indy and has better hotels, etc.

Chicago is the natural choice, if there isn’t a desire to rotate, but the venues are actually in worse locations (UC sucks to get to and from and is in a terrible area, HF is boring af).

To your best point though, there’s no reason for mediocre Big ten East teams to travel anywhere this year.
MSP is bad. No one wants to go there and hard to get to.

Last edited:

What?! Nebraska is one of the best fanbases in the country and they rocked the Target Center last night. So did Illinois. Get your head checked.

Yep I’m a 6 hr drive to MSP and wouldn’t have gone with free tickets. This team was tough to get behind and the “true fans” bullshit wasn’t well thought thru by CMW and crew. As for the UC, last time I was there I wished I had brought my Kevlar vest. Always has been a dangerous part of the city.

MSP is bad. No one wants to go there and hard to get to.

It’s a Delta hub and much larger than Indianapolis, which offers nothing good in terms of food, things to do, etc. the only time people go to Indy is for sports event’s because there is literally nothing else.

It’s a Delta hub and much larger than Indianapolis, which offers nothing good in terms of food, things to do, etc. the only time people go to Indy is for sports event’s because there is literally nothing else.
It’s a second or third tier DL hub. Doesn’t matter.

There is nothing to do in MSP. It sucks. Poll the conference Indy would be way ahead.

It’s a second or third tier DL hub. Doesn’t matter.

There is nothing to do in MSP. It sucks. Poll the conference Indy would be way ahead.

You can fly direct to any relevant city( not sure if Indy is included). Indy is a dump. You clearly don’t get out much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT