ADVERTISEMENT

Talking Rutgers

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I felt like last year Paul Mulcahy is the guy that killed us. He was able to live in the lane and pass to Omoruyi for dunks/layups.

Mulcahy has missed the last 4 games with a shoulder injury. I read an article dated Dec 1st which indicated he has not yet practiced, so he's probably somewhere in the doubtful/questionable range for Saturday. Even if he plays, he may be affected, as he's normally such a physical player.

If PM does not play, the two guys we will have to watch out for are Omoruyi and Cam Spencer. Spencer's a transfer who's a smart gamer and very good 3 pt shooter. He's taken 37 3 pt shots (7 games) and is hitting 43% on them.

They still have McConnell, who is excellent on D, mediocre on O. A possible wild card is 6'3" freshman Derek Simpson, who is big and quick and a good shooter (36% on 3s with 14 attempts). I don't think he was all that highly regarded in recruiting circles, but apparently he was a sleeper.

Not too impressed with the other two players getting lots of minutes, Mag and Andre Hyatt. Hyatt's a physical 6'7" kid who looks the part (former LSU recruit). He's shot 31 3s so far this year but is only hitting 29%.

Rutgers as a team is only shooting 32% on 3s, but are holding other teams to 20%. They are 5-2 on the year, but have lost close ones to the only decent teams they've played---Temple on a neutral court, and at Miami. The other 5 teams they've played were trash.

Obviously, the big wild card here is how we and RU react to playing in the RAC......hopefully, we come out focused, take care of business early, and neutraize that factor.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
I felt like last year Paul Mulcahy is the guy that killed us. He was able to live in the lane and pass to Omoruyi for dunks/layups.

Mulcahy has missed the last 4 games with a shoulder injury. I read an article dated Dec 1st which indicated he has not yet practiced, so he's probably somewhere in the doubtful/questionable range for Saturday. Even if he plays, he may be affected, as he's normally such a physical player.

If PM does not play, the two guys we will have to watch out for are Omoruyi and Cam Spencer. Spencer's a transfer who's a smart gamer and very good 3 pt shooter. He's taken 37 3 pt shots (7 games) and is hitting 43% on them.

They still have McConnell, who is excellent on D, mediocre on O. A possible wild card is 6'3" freshman Derek Simpson, who is big and quick and a good shooter (36% on 3s with 14 attempts). I don't think he was all that highly regarded in recruiting circles, but apparently he was a sleeper.

Not too impressed with the other two players getting lots of minutes, Mag and Andre Hyatt. Hyatt's a physical 6'7" kid who looks the part (former LSU recruit). He's shot 31 3s so far this year but is only hitting 29%.

Rutgers as a team is only shooting 32% on 3s, but are holding other teams to 20%. They are 5-2 on the year, but have lost close ones to the only decent teams they've played---Temple on a neutral court, and at Miami. The other 5 teams they've played were trash.

Obviously, the big wild card here is how we and RU react to playing in the RAC......hopefully, we come out focused, take care of business early, and neutraize that factor.
I think McConnell has been hurt too and is only recently playing again. I'm sure it will be a tough/tense game, but we're better, period. If we remember to pack that D for the trip, and with the added motivation and focus from TJD and CMW we should win. I want to see our team and fans develop the expectation of winning again!

I think McConnell has been hurt too and is only recently playing again. I'm sure it will be a tough/tense game, but we're better, period. If we remember to pack that D for the trip, and with the added motivation and focus from TJD and CMW we should win. I want to see our team and fans develop the expectation of winning again!
Pack the D, except let Galloway chase Cam Spencer around. We win if we shut him down.

Reactions: motel00 and kkott

If IU can match Rutgers physicality (much more suited this year than years past) and take relatively good care of the ball this will end up being a very nice road win. Rutgers just doesn't have the hosses offensively this year to keep up unless we're careless with the basketball.

If IU can match Rutgers physicality (much more suited this year than years past) and take relatively good care of the ball this will end up being a very nice road win. Rutgers just doesn't have the hosses offensively this year to keep up unless we're careless with the basketball.
Good D, limit turnovers, bring intensity and make FTs... that formula will keep us in every game, even if we're having an off night.

Rutgers is usually a tough out....and has won more then their fair share against IU. This is a trap game of thefirst order. IU coming in unbeaten off of a big TV win.....Rutgers will be gamers. IU must shoot well, stay out of foul trouble and hit free throws. Basics will be enough if IU is focused.

Rutgers is usually a tough out....and has won more then their fair share against IU. This is a trap game of thefirst order. IU coming in unbeaten off of a big TV win.....Rutgers will be gamers. IU must shoot well, stay out of foul trouble and hit free throws. Basics will be enough if IU is focused.
We should win but need to play well. A Saturday afternoon just a few weeks before Christmas...the Jersey shore crowd will be good and liquored up. Will definitely be a hostile environment. Probably very similar to the Xavier game.

Remember, most of theose IU losses to Rutgers were down-to-the wire games, and this IU team is much stronger. I think if Mulcahy doesn't play (or can't play well), IU should win comfortably. If he can play, it could be a struggle. I'd say IU by 7.

B1G game on the road. You can smell the home cooking already. IU has not matched the physicality of Rutgers for most of the last several seasons but they've also never had JHS or this level of play from the bench. IU gets some revenge if they play smart, rebound, and don't settle for threes on offense.

Who the hell calculated that win percentage?

Seth Davis using an old Ron Harper Jr. jock strap as a face mask while receiving the old reach around???
You’re right. Crazy they gave IU any chance after pikiell continues to stuff TJD year after year

Who the hell calculated that win percentage?

Seth Davis using an old Ron Harper Jr. jock strap as a face mask while receiving the old reach around???
You’re right. Crazy they gave IU any chance after pikiell continues to stuff TJD year after year

So you made lots of money betting on your team, I guess, since you knew IU didn't have a chance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT