ADVERTISEMENT

Stunned disbelief

Great story, thanks! Butcher was quite a character. I swear he would start screaming at the refs before the game even started. By the end of the game he was getting close calls.

P.S. We usually won anyway as our coach could coach, even though his attempts at influencing the refs

Had a High School basketball coach who complained about calls. As a bench warmer it was obvious to me our coach would have been a lousy referee.

By the end of the game, the calls against us seemed to reflect a growing hostility to our team.

Nevertheless, we almost always won as the coach was really a good coach with a fair amount of talent.

Last edited:
Great story, thanks! Butcher was quite a character. I swear he would start screaming at the refs before the game even started. By the end of the game he was getting close calls.

Either he learned that from RMK, or RMK learned it from Butcher.

Peas in a pod . . . .

Reactions: stollcpa
Purdue special teams coach last night got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Can’t remember the last time I saw a college football coach get a penalty like that. It’s just so rare.

Reactions: Bill4411
Nope. 6'7", 6'5", 6'1", 6'1", 5' 11".
Loogootee and St John’s consolidated in 1970 I believe. The coaching hire was hot between Jack Butcher and Jr Gee who coached St John’s and played at Loogootee. Junior played college ball with Rick Barry at Miami. Jr’s last team at St John’s I believe were undefeated until the sectional semifinal when my High School in its first year of existence beat them in a great Saturday afternoon game in the Washington sectional.

Loogootee got Butcher and my High School got Jr Gee. He never did anything spectacular and ended up in the graveyard of Coaches at North Daviess. I think his last game at North Daviess was a loss in the Washington Sectional where the refereeing was horrible and he unfortunately pulled the team off the floor in protest before the game was over.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Went to the Purdue - Oregon State game last night. Purdue is not expected to be a contender in the Big Ten West and OSU is not exactly a contender either. Most Purdue fans would accept 7-5 as a great season.

But you would not have guessed any of that last night. Even with heavy rain in the afternoon and light rain most of the game, the game was just short of a sellout and the crowd was extremely loud and electric. Had goosebumps when the game started, with misty eyes. I felt alive.

Hope you all go to IU’s home opener, or at least another home game. They’re still a great team. Just go. You need it. We all need it.

The Kid Down the Hall resigned his partnership and is getting his MBA at ND. We're going up on the 18th for the ND-Purdue game. Guess which team we'll be backing . . . . POTFB.

The Kid Down the Hall resigned his partnership and is getting his MBA at ND. We're going up on the 18th for the ND-Purdue game. Guess which team we'll be backing . . . . POTFB.
Bailing on the Hoosiers already?

Reactions: Bill4411
Wait a fvckin' minute. You expected me to root for Purdue? Seriously?
Yes. If Purdue’s band can play IU’s fight song (last night) you can find it in yourself to root for the Boilers.

Bailing on the Hoosiers already?

God, what it is with you fvckin' attorneys? Is this a binary-only world? I can go to South Bend and root for ND to crush Purdue and still look for a 10-game IU winning streak.

God, what it is with you fvckin' attorneys? Is this a binary-only world? I can go to South Bend and root for ND to crush Purdue and still look for a 10-game IU winning streak.
In other words . . . wear a reversible jersey.

Good lord . . . I didn't think you'd go so cheap.

(on edit): If you think you're ever living this down . . . .

I'm not sober enough to understand that. Been drinking at whatever the Cock and Bull in Hyde Park is now called and then Madtree.

How does rooting for both IU and ND in football warrant a reversible jersey? Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression Is the reversible jersey is reserved for IU basketball fans who then only root for ND in football.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Tell me you're kidding
Nope. They played every Big Ten school’s fight song while forming their logo on the field. Apparently it’s the Big Ten’s 100th anniversary.

First time I’ve ever heard a home team boo it’s own band’s halftime show.

It was an abomination

I watched it on TV, and cried when C-bus got beat. I was 9.

I've remembered the starting five on that team for years, and more so recently because I've run into some guys who either played with or against some of C-bus' team . . . one guy played at Yale with R. Stoner (there was another Stoner on that team who didn't start), and one guy who played for Jeffersonville that year. He said that all the Jeffersonville guys thought C-bus players were slow. I'll let those highlights speak to that issue directly.

The story I got the week later - the story going 'round C-bus - is that the entire starting five had the flu and temperatures that game day. I have no idea whether that's true or just sour grapes . . . .

R. Stoner played D1 at Yale, then became a lawyer. Newse went to ISU, got drafted by the Celts in the 6th round and then worked in the family business - the old Newsom Trucking - as I understand it. Holly also went to ISU and then became Edinburgh's football coach . . . he passed a few years ago. Thix went to the University of Tampa and is an HR consultant in Seymour. Jon Partin went to GA Tech and is a tv announcer - color commentator, I think - for GA Tech basketball.

The level of play in that game is light years behind what high schoolers do today. Can you imagine LeBron in that game?

That flu story is what I always heard growing up, they missed a couple days of school but had to attend Friday afternoon to play.

Would be a shame if someone couldn’t find one of these for him

images

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
Nope. They played every Big Ten school’s fight song while forming their logo on the field. Apparently it’s the Big Ten’s 100th anniversary.

First time I’ve ever heard a home team boo it’s own band’s halftime show.

It was an abomination

In my advanced years of life, I wouldn't recognize the Rutgers or Maryland fight songs.

Think playing the fight songs was a terrific idea.

In my advanced years of life, I wouldn't recognize the Rutgers or Maryland fight songs.

Think playing the fight songs was a terrific idea.
My dad had an old LP with some men’s choir singing fight songs. It was from the 1950s and was a pretty cool album.
It was not good for halftime of the home opener. Even Rutgers got booed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression Is the reversible jersey is reserved for IU basketball fans who then only root for ND in football.
Don't give me that . . . I'm a hair trigger away from taking this to the Football Board for a Kangaroo Court as it is . . . in fact, I might take this issue there for their consideration and judgment anyway. . . .

Last edited:
Don't give me that . . . I'm a hair trigger away from taking this to the Football Board for a Kangaroo court as it is . . . in fact, I might take this issue there for their consideration and judgment . . . .

Oh, please. I'm the King of the Andals, the Protector of the Realm and the ultimate judge and executioner of the Seven Kingdoms Kangaroo Court. Perhaps you haven't noticed that Noodle has racked up over $1,000 in fines today.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
My dad had an old LP with some men’s choir singing fight songs. It was from the 1950s and was a pretty cool album.
It was not good for halftime of the home opener. Even Rutgers got booed.
This is why you went to Purdue . . . and became a patent lawyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT