ADVERTISEMENT

Stunned disbelief

Started with a bone head play by the cornerback to not seal the edge on the 4th play of the game and has devolved from there.

Yeesh. Couldn’t have scripted a worse start to the season.

Seems like a team that bought its own hype and stopped working. We’ll see if Tom Allen can get things turned around.

Only thing to do with this is flush it and start fresh. Hopefully we can rebound against Idaho and go from there.

That's easy to say, but right now I'm kind of shell shocked.
We better rebound against Idaho. If we lost that one I would threaten to sell the rest of my tickets but who would buy them

The faster we can move on from the Penix era the better. Too much drama, too many injuries, and we can’t wait around two and a half quarters for him to decide he wants to start playing.

Embarrassing to say the least.

Reactions: Lucy01
Only thing to do with this is flush it and start fresh. Hopefully we can rebound against Idaho and go from there.

I’m with you. We looked completely unprepared. Didn’t see that coming. But IU football is what it is

The faster we can move on from the Penix era the better. Too much drama, too many injuries, and we can’t wait around two and a half quarters for him to decide he wants to start playing.
Penix had a bad game, yes, but he's shown before he is the real deal. I'm not ready to move on from him yet.

The oline has had a ton of vitriol thrown at it, and rightly so. I'm having a hard time believing that Caleb Jones is ever going to make it. Hiller better get this figured out quick or someone is going to cap his fat ass.

I don't know what Carr's numbers were, but everything he got he got on his own.

But what struck me was the poor play of our receivers. Yes, Iowa has a very good back 4/5/7, but even when Penix had time he had very few open targets. A lot of his hurries weren't hurries at all, he just had to unload after no one got open. Oh, and Heard needs to teach those guys to knock balls down if they're not going to catch them.

IU football game giving me the same feeling as election day 2016
The only two sporting events that gave me a feeling that deep was losing to UK in the 1975 Regional Finals when we were undefeated, and the Dubs losing to Cleveland at home in game 7 of the 2016 NBA finals.

And I still don’t think I had the sense of dread I got from 2016 election night.

Come to think of it, 2016 was a bad year.🤔

IU football will recover and go to a bowl game.

The only two sporting events that gave me a feeling that deep was losing to UK in the 1975 Regional Finals when we were undefeated, and the Dubs losing to Cleveland at home in game 7 of the 2016 NBA finals.

And I still don’t think I had the sense of dread I got from 2016 election night.

Come to think of it, 2016 was a bad year.🤔

IU football will recover and go to a bowl game.
That UK game, I was at Market Square to watch Columbus North against Loogootee is the IHSAA semis. I grew up going to every Columbus/ Columbus North home game and many away games. Loogootee was killing us. I kept thinking, "at least IU will win". Finally at a time out "We have a final score from Lexington". It was soul crushing.

The other one for me was the Kansas game with Henderson's injury in 93.

That UK game, I was at Market Square to watch Columbus North against Loogootee is the IHSAA semis. I grew up going to every Columbus/ Columbus North home game and many away games. Loogootee was killing us. I kept thinking, "at least IU will win". Finally at a time out "We have a final score from Lexington". It was soul crushing.

Ah, Columbus/Columbus North with Bill Stearman. They had some really good teams over the years.

I remember that ‘75 Logootee team. I made some sort of bet with a buddy of mine that Seymour would crush them in the semi-state final, cause they had a really good, athletic team. Logoottee picked them apart and won by 10. In hindsight, the only team in the state that was going to beat Logoottee that year was the Marion Giants, who did take them out in the state championship game.

Ah, Columbus/Columbus North with Bill Stearman. They had some really good teams over the years.

I remember that ‘75 Logootee team. I made some sort of bet with a buddy of mine that Seymour would crush them in the semi-state final, cause they had a really good, athletic team. Logoottee picked them apart and won by 10. In hindsight, the only team in the state that was going to beat Logoottee that year was the Marion Giants, who did take them out in the state championship game.
Butcher’s 3/2 offense was hard to deal with. They totally frustrated teams. Layups is about all they shot.

You meant Dayton, right?

When it comes to IU football, I’m Charlie Brown lining up to kick that ball. Every damn year. The shocking thing to me was that we looked poorly coached and ill prepared. They’ve had literally all off-season to prepare for this game. Then the first series the CB completely blows the play. It was shocking to watch.

The topping on the cake for me was that after they took Penix out, they gave Tuttle no opportunity to spread his wings at all. It's like they just said, "games over", and closed up shop, not wanting to let the score get any worse. Based on previous seasons, he might be our quarterback for at least part of this season. Let him play. If they call plays that way when he is in, we will be "dead meat".

I watched parts many of the BT games this weekend. The only team that we look somewhat comparable to is Northwestern. Very disappointing.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
The topping on the cake for me was that after they took Penix out, they gave Tuttle no opportunity to spread his wings at all. It's like they just said, "games over", and closed up shop, not wanting to let the score get any worse. Based on previous seasons, he might be our quarterback for at least part of this season. Let him play. If they call plays that way when he is in, we will be "dead meat".

I watched parts many of the BT games this weekend. The only team that we look somewhat comparable to is Northwestern. Very disappointing.
It might have been, "If Tuttle comes in and looks good, we have a QB controversy we do not want"

Jack Butcher was a coaching genius. Ahead of the times back then.
Watching them dismantle Columbus North was amazing to watch.

I don’t know if they had a days rest if they could have beaten Marion.

Butchers methods were as tough as Knights.

Playing the first game against Iowa on the road was bound to be a challenge. Especially when relying too much on Penix and Fryfogle against the veteran and solid secondary.

Reactions: UncleMark
The word was sad, not amazing.

But he did an incredible job as a coach.
I played against Butcher teams. We could play against those guys in pickup games in the summer and beat them. Get Butcher on the sidelines and they always beat us.

I agree . . . the game was highly disappointing.
The word was sad, not amazing.

But he did an incredible job as a coach.
I read an interview once of a player on the 1964 Lafayette Jeff basketball state champs. He was talking with Marion Crawley, the stellar coach of Lafayette Jeff just after the 1963 season, and he claimed that when he said something about having to play Columbus the next year, Crawley corrected him, saying something about they'd play Huntington in the final game in 1964. Here's the actual story:

Beating Idaho?
Yeah, that will be a great accomplishment! ;)

I agree . . . the game was highly disappointing.

I read an interview once of a player on the 1964 Lafayette Jeff basketball state champs. He was talking with Marion Crawley, the stellar coach of Lafayette Jeff just after the 1963 season, and he claimed that when he said something about having to play Columbus the next year, Crawley corrected him, saying something about they'd play Huntington in the final game in 1964. Here's the actual story:

You can watch highlights of Columbus v Huntington below. I was too young to recall that game but it lived in family lore, I heard all about it growing up.

I knew a lot of people who did not like Stearman, blamed him for losses like that. They were wrong and it shows how hard it is to be a successful coach. The fans only remember your last game.

Reactions: Bill4411
You can watch highlights of Columbus v Huntington below. I was too young to recall that game but it lived in family lore, I heard all about it growing up.

I knew a lot of people who did not like Stearman, blamed him for losses like that. They were wrong and it shows how hard it is to be a successful coach. The fans only remember your last game.
A little bit of trivia about Huntington's best player, Mike Weaver. He is the CEO of Weaver popcorn one of the largest popcorn companies in America which is based out of Van Buren.

Watching them dismantle Columbus North was amazing to watch.

I don’t know if they had a days rest if they could have beaten Marion.

Butchers methods were as tough as Knights.
I can’t let this story pass. Most people have heard of De La Salle High in Northern California because they have an historic football program that won several state and mythical National Championships.

De La Salle also had a basketball coach by the name of Frank Alloco, who won multiple state championships in California. Alloco was from New Jersey, and the back up quarterback to Joe Mantana at Notre Dame in college, but his heart was in coaching basketball. One of Alloco’s influences while he was a student at Notre Dame was none other than Jack Butcher. He made the trek down south to watch and study Butcher’s teams in the 70’s.

De La Salle, along with Bishop O’Dowd, recruit the best athletes in the East Bay of the Bay Area to come to their private school. My point is, Coach Alloco took the principles he learned from Pete Carrill at Princeton, along with Jack Butcher at Logoottee, to install a system that was dominant, since also had elite athletes to work with at the high school level. It was like having Marion or Anderson athletes running Logoottee’s system. Frank retired a few years ago and although De La Salle is still good, they immediately dropped off from the level Frank had them competing.

Butcher’s teams would run that 3-2 motion weave and back cut you for layups all night. If you defended against that, they would stick 20 foot jump shots in your face. Precise and disciplined. Just wanted you to know that Butcher’s influence was wider than even you may have realized.

Went to the Purdue - Oregon State game last night. Purdue is not expected to be a contender in the Big Ten West and OSU is not exactly a contender either. Most Purdue fans would accept 7-5 as a great season.

But you would not have guessed any of that last night. Even with heavy rain in the afternoon and light rain most of the game, the game was just short of a sellout and the crowd was extremely loud and electric. Had goosebumps when the game started, with misty eyes. I felt alive.

Hope you all go to IU’s home opener, or at least another home game. They’re still a great team. Just go. You need it. We all need it.

Last edited:
IU football game giving me the same feeling as election day 2016
I've backed away from the ledge, but am still incredibly bummed out. I could have dealt with a loss if we'd at least been competitive, but that sure wasn't the case. The last thing I expected was a curb stomping. I've seen plenty of those over the years, and those days were supposed to be behind us.
We are back to a basketball school.
I'm even leery of that anymore. Crean had me on a roller coaster, and Miller just broke my soul.

I'm to the point where my mortality is something to be contemplated. My dad said he hoped he lived long enough to see IU get good in football and get back among the elite in basketball. He never made it, and I'm not sure I will either.

Last edited:
I've backed away from the ledge, but am still incredibly bummed out. I could have dealt with a loss if we'd at least been competitive, but that sure wasn't the case. The last thing I expected was a curb stomping. I've seen plenty of those over the years, and those days were supposed to be behind us.

I'm even leery of that anymore. Crean had me on a roller coaster, and Miller just broke my soul.

I'm to the point where my mortality is something to be contemplated. My dad said he hoped he lived long enough to see IU get good in football and get back among the elite. He never made it, and I'm not sure I will either.
I am sold on Woodson, he is doing a wonderful job so far. The real test will be this season of course.

I wonder if we are in a post elite era. Look at Kentucky, Cal's seat has to be warm.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I am sold on Woodson, he is doing a wonderful job so far. The real test will be this season of course.
I thought the same about Miller. Then we opened with IUPU Ft. Wayne and...
I wonder if we are in a post elite era. Look at Kentucky, Cal's seat has to be warm.
Could be. It's going to get interesting, that's for sure. New coaches at UNC and Duke could change the landscape. Of all the so-called elite programs, in my mind the only ones who have consistently maintained their elite status after coaching changes have been UNC, UK, and Kansas. Most everyone else has been more a reflection of an elite coach rather than an elite program.

I watched it on TV, and cried when C-bus got beat. I was 9.

I've remembered the starting five on that team for years, and more so recently because I've run into some guys who either played with or against some of C-bus' team . . . one guy played at Yale with R. Stoner (there was another Stoner on that team who didn't start), and one guy who played for Jeffersonville that year. He said that all the Jeffersonville guys thought C-bus players were slow. I'll let those highlights speak to that issue directly.

The story I got the week later - the story going 'round C-bus - is that the entire starting five had the flu and temperatures that game day. I have no idea whether that's true or just sour grapes . . . .

R. Stoner played D1 at Yale, then became a lawyer. Newse went to ISU, got drafted by the Celts in the 6th round and then worked in the family business - the old Newsom Trucking - as I understand it. Holly also went to ISU and then became Edinburgh's football coach . . . he passed a few years ago. Thix went to the University of Tampa and is an HR consultant in Seymour. Jon Partin went to GA Tech and is a tv announcer - color commentator, I think - for GA Tech basketball.

The level of play in that game is light years behind what high schoolers do today. Can you imagine LeBron in that game?

I can’t let this story pass. Most people have heard of De La Salle High in Northern California because they have an historic football program that won several state and mythical National Championships.

De La Salle also had a basketball coach by the name of Frank Alloco, who won multiple state championships in California. Alloco was from New Jersey, and the back up quarterback to Joe Mantana at Notre Dame in college, but his heart was in coaching basketball. One of Alloco’s influences while he was a student at Notre Dame was none other than Jack Butcher. He made the trek down south to watch and study Butcher’s teams in the 70’s.

De La Salle, along with Bishop O’Dowd, recruit the best athletes in the East Bay of the Bay Area to come to their private school. My point is, Coach Alloco took the principles he learned from Pete Carrill at Princeton, along with Jack Butcher at Logoottee, to install a system that was dominant, since also had elite athletes to work with at the high school level. It was like having Marion or Anderson athletes running Logoottee’s system. Frank retired a few years ago and although De La Salle is still good, they immediately dropped off from the level Frank had them competing.

Butcher’s teams would run that 3-2 motion weave and back cut you for layups all night. If you defended against that, they would stick 20 foot jump shots in your face. Precise and disciplined. Just wanted you to know that Butcher’s influence was wider than even you may have realized.
Great story, thanks! Butcher was quite a character. I swear he would start screaming at the refs before the game even started. By the end of the game he was getting close calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT