ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen A Picked IU to Final Four

No, not every team will have to play their best each night to win. And yes, Chattanooga is better than Michigan and Penn St so if we show up the way we did for those 2 games, Thursday will be the last game. I am talking about mindset and attitude.
This team thinks they are good enough to mail it in against lesser competition and it simply is not.
They were not ready to play the Michigan game with the same intensity that they played the Maryland game. That is a reflection on them, not the coaching staff.

Wait Chattanooga is better than Michigan? Someone should tell the selection committee because UM is an 11 seed and Chattanooga is a 12.

Reactions: darrin09
Well if you did not write the same thing over an over again about Crean's pay or where we stand with the other elites I wouldn't have to correct you.

WOW, did you start your morning off with a bowl of arrogance or is that just your natural state. Just because you have stated the same old tired opinion for the "millionth' time doesn't make it any more true now as the first time.

Why does most national media list IU when talking about the blue blood programs?

Are we supposed to believe you over them and our history?

IU has made BAD coaching hires and the last 20 years is to show for it but the point he was trying to make which seemed to elude you, is that since Crean is being made top ten money we should expect consistent top ten results on the national scene.

Reactions: russelltodd
Yes it was awful and what needs to be done is not play the bottom of div I. I don't think we need to get anymore top programs but we need to schedule more teams from the MAC or MVC.

I think the issue is you really never know what you're going to end up with. We thought we'd see Vandy and Kansas in the Maui invitational. Had that happened our pre-conference SOS would've been on the higher end. Kansas, Duke, Notre Dame, Vandy, Creighton, IPFW. To that, you never know how a mid-major will be and you can schedule them far enough ahead not to know. Next year IPFW brings back their leading scorer who went out with an injury back in January (Mo Evans) and add Bryson Scott who transferred from Purdue. IU goes to FW to play them next year so that just so happens to be a game that will be tough but you just never know what you're going to get.

And that is my issue with IU. I watch every IU game with my pack of IU buddies and I kept saying that when you beat Iowa on the road, I'd be impressed. Watched that game and I was blown away with Iowa. I had heard how good they were but they were terrible and very badly coached. So I'm still waiting for that impressive IU win. But like everyone but one person is saying, IU can kill you with the 3 ball. Seems easy to stop like Michigan did. Plus you have the Crean factor in tournaments to overcome.
Both teams can lay eggs or go to the FF
Maybe the loss at IU by Iowa Is what sent them into their tailspin. Maybe they realized IU was a better team.

No, not every team will have to play their best each night to win. And yes, Chattanooga is better than Michigan and Penn St so if we show up the way we did for those 2 games, Thursday will be the last game. I am talking about mindset and attitude.
This team thinks they are good enough to mail it in against lesser competition and it simply is not.
They were not ready to play the Michigan game with the same intensity that they played the Maryland game. That is a reflection on them, not the coaching staff.

We certainly could lose to Chatanooga, but Mich is MUCH better than Chattanooga. Mich has 4 wins against ranked teams, and no losses outside the top 150. Chattanooga has no wins against ranked opponents and 3 losses outside the top 150.

And that is my issue with IU. I watch every IU game with my pack of IU buddies and I kept saying that when you beat Iowa on the road, I'd be impressed. Watched that game and I was blown away with Iowa. I had heard how good they were but they were terrible and very badly coached. So I'm still waiting for that impressive IU win. But like everyone but one person is saying, IU can kill you with the 3 ball. Seems easy to stop like Michigan did. Plus you have the Crean factor in tournaments to overcome.
Both teams can lay eggs or go to the FF

See this is where my issue comes in. So Iowa looks great against other competition therefore most people would assume that when their team beats that team that it convinces them that their team is good. For some portion of the Indiana fan base, a win like that only shows the other team is no good. It means nothing for IU. Why couldn't that win over Iowa at Iowa show IU is just that good?

WOW, did you start your morning off with a bowl of arrogance or is that just your natural state. Just because you have stated the same old tired opinion for the "millionth' time doesn't make it any more true now as the first time.

Why does most national media list IU when talking about the blue blood programs?

Are we supposed to believe you over them and our history?

IU has made BAD coaching hires and the last 20 years is to show for it but the point he was trying to make which seemed to elude you, is that since Crean is being made top ten money we should expect consistent top ten results on the national scene.
Show me in our history where we have had the same sustain success over many years like a UK or Duke. We might have a 3 or 4 year run like 73-76 and 91-94 besides that we have an elite season here and there.

I think the issue is you really never know what you're going to end up with. We thought we'd see Vandy and Kansas in the Maui invitational. Had that happened our pre-conference SOS would've been on the higher end. Kansas, Duke, Notre Dame, Vandy, Creighton, IPFW. To that, you never know how a mid-major will be and you can schedule them far enough ahead not to know. Next year IPFW brings back their leading scorer who went out with an injury back in January (Mo Evans) and add Bryson Scott who transferred from Purdue. IU goes to FW to play them next year so that just so happens to be a game that will be tough but you just never know what you're going to get.

huh? no, we knew our bottom barrel home games would be bottom barrel. crean et al. do that by design.

Show me in our history where we have had the same sustain success over many years like a UK or Duke. We might have a 3 or 4 year run like 73-76 and 91-94 besides that we have an elite season here and there.
What is your definition of blue blood? Just curious.

lol. no one says we are better but we are in the conversation. our expectations should be high based on history, resources, and what we pay our friggin coach. but you think we are Iowa. cool.

Last edited:
Of our pre-conference schedule, Austin Peay, Duke, Notre Dame are all in the NCAA tourney. Creighton, IPFW, Eastern Illinois and Morehead State are all playing in the post season this year. Wake Forest, UNLV and St. Johns are all a part of large conferences. So aside from those 10, we played 3 teams that were cake walks. To that, Crean expected Vandy and Kansas over St. Johns and UNLV. It wasn't that Crean didn't try to have a good schedule because it looked like a daunting one coming into the season.

With all of that, Duke was on the road, ND, Kansas and Vandy would've been neutral sites.

Reactions: turney333

That is YOUR definition of blue blood? The point being YOUR definition. Obviously many, MANY other people think differently including many sportswriters and basketball people. Hell, even this year when Crean was on the hotseat, I read an article about how IU was an elite job and it would be a sought after position.

I will give you some advice. Let us who believe that IU is a historic blue blood program, revel in our own delusion and you can save your fingers from all that typing trying to convince us otherwise. Deal?

Just to answer your question. IU has won five NCAAs under two different coaches over a 40+ year span. Been to FF under three different coaches. Still garners good numbers when their games are nationally broadcast. Still is a draw to great talent. Still makes news when things happen within the program. That is MY definition of a blue blood program.

lol. no one says we are better but we are in the conversation. are expectations should be high based on history, resources, and what we pay our friggin coach. but you think we are Iowa. cool.
I think we are way better than Iowa but just not at the level of UK, Duke, UNC or Kansas.

What is your definition of blue blood? Just curious.
Team that competes for their conference every year and are ranked at least in the top 10 most years. Teams that makes multiple final fours in a 10 year span and winning championships. Duke went to 6 final fours in 7 years or UK going 3 out of 4 years.

Reactions: ChampsAgain
Yes it was awful and what needs to be done is not play the bottom of div I. I don't think we need to get anymore top programs but we need to schedule more teams from the MAC or MVC.

The MAC doesn't want to play us. I think something like 5 MAC teams didn't play a single power conference team, and another 3 only played one in an exempt tournament. The MAC gets decent football money, so they don't need to go out and schedule pay day games like most mid major schools.

And as for MVC, I think only 3 teams played an away game this side of the Rockies, again football money, and when they do play, they play the PAC12

Our biggest problem was that many of the teams we played from quality conferences finished in the bottom half of their league, or worse (Wake, UNLV, Creighton, St Johns) and the same for decent conferences (A Peay, E Ill, Morehead)

Team that competes for their conference every year and are ranked at least in the top 10 most years. Teams that makes multiple final fours in a 10 year span and winning championships. Duke went to 6 final fours in 7 years or UK going 3 out of 4 years.

He is very strict on his Blue Blooded programs which is fine. That's a high standard. I think we all know where IU has been as a program and it's merely different ideas of where the line is drawn from a blue blooded program to a great program. Most would consider blue bloods to be teams that have historically been great overall, not just within the last decade or two. But to each their own.

Wait Chattanooga is better than Michigan? Someone should tell the selection committee because UM is an 11 seed and Chattanooga is a 12.
I think you are kidding but if not I would say an 11 and 12 seed are pretty equal lol. Which is what I said, they are as good and Michigan and if we mail it in again they will most likely lose.

He is very strict on his Blue Blooded programs which is fine. That's a high standard. I think we all know where IU has been as a program and it's merely different ideas of where the line is drawn from a blue blooded program to a great program. Most would consider blue bloods to be teams that have historically been great overall, not just within the last decade or two. But to each their own.

I completely agree with you and your definition of a blue blood program. IU, UK, Kansas, UCLA, NC.....It's a historical perspective, or at least to some degree, in my opinion and in most people's opinions as well. You can't just forget the past and what a program has achieved.

So by his definition, a team can fall in and out of being a blue blood program. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Yeah but Indiana was dominating mediocre teams and people said "Indiana is dominating mediocre teams". Then Indiana beats good teams and people said "yeah but they're playing those good teams at home". Indiana beats good teams on the road and people said "yeah but they caught the team when they were playing bad." UK has merely dominated mediocre teams. They have proven time and time again they cannot beat a good team on the road. Yet those domination of mediocre teams has now made them a beast.....how? It's reputation and a team of paper tigers. Maybe they're truly good but so far that hasn't been proven. Do we think UK should've gone from 22 and moved past Indiana who was at 10 in this last poll? I've never known IU to move from 22 to above a team who was in the top 10 off one loss.

What good team did IU beat on the road?

I completely agree with you and your definition of a blue blood program. IU, UK, Kansas, UCLA, NC.....It's a historical perspective, or at least to some degree, in my opinion and in most people's opinions as well. You can't just forget the past and what a program has achieved.

So by his definition, a team can fall in and out of being a blue blood program. Doesn't make sense to me.

Right. I think winning titles is a must but also pulling in Final Four appearances as a really good identifier. Here are the clear blue bloods in my opinion:

Indiana (8 FF, 5 NC)
Kentucky (17 FF, 8 NC)
North Carolina (18 FF, 5 NC)
UCLA (17 FF, 11 NC)
Duke (16 FF, 5 NC)

Connecticut (5 FF, 4 NC)
Kansas (14 FF, 3 NC)
Michigan State (9 FF, 2 NC)
Ohio State (10 FF, 1 NC)
Louisville (10 FF, 3 NC)

UConn has 4 championships and are one 3 week run from tying Indiana and North Carolina in national titles but are closer to joining than Kansas. But with only 5 total final fours (compared to 8 for IU and 18 for UNC) they're still one more title or a few more final fours from stepping into the big boy table. Kansas has a lot of Final Fours but they're lacking the most important part of having success when you get there. So to me its more clear cut than what people give it credit for.

Right. I think winning titles is a must but also pulling in Final Four appearances as a really good identifier. Here are the clear blue bloods in my opinion:

Indiana (8 FF, 5 NC)
Kentucky (17 FF, 8 NC)
North Carolina (18 FF, 5 NC)
UCLA (17 FF, 11 NC)
Duke (16 FF, 5 NC)

Connecticut (5 FF, 4 NC)
Kansas (14 FF, 3 NC)
Michigan State (9 FF, 2 NC)
Ohio State (10 FF, 1 NC)
Louisville (10 FF, 3 NC)

UConn has 4 championships and are one 3 week run from tying Indiana and North Carolina in national titles but are closer to joining than Kansas. But with only 5 total final fours (compared to 8 for IU and 18 for UNC) they're still one more title or a few more final fours from stepping into the big boy table. Kansas has a lot of Final Fours but they're lacking the most important part of having success when you get there. So to me its more clear cut than what people give it credit for.

While Kansas is tied for 7th in titles, they are 3rd in title game appearances. They have the most runner-up finishes

From 73-93 IU went to 5 FFs, one every 4 years on avg, 11 B1G titles, 3 national titles. lol...that's dominant. Throw in 2 more national titles and 3 more FFs and 11 more B1G titles and that is blue blood. How is it even a question?

Reactions: IU40IU
Duke , UNC, UK and Kansas has been great for longer than a decade. It just like how now everyone is considered a HOFer and the people they let in the hall of fame. To me the HOF is for the very best and not just a HOF for the very good.

The funny part of the "we're not a blue blood" conversation is that IU is one title run away from being third on the all time list with six. If everyone around the program from the admin down to the $10 donors would stop embracing mediocrity it could happen. But, this stopped being an all or nothing deal with IU, and twenty years later we have to debate and rationalize five seeds, sweet sixteen flameouts, and missing the tourney all together. Anything less than a final four appearance THIS year is a complete and utter failure in my opinion.

Reactions: ChampsAgain
All this IU / UK talk, I thought IU and UK both had a game before then.

If we put in the performance we did against Michigan we lose Thursday.

Duke , UNC, UK and Kansas has been great for longer than a decade. It just like how now everyone is considered a HOFer and the people they let in the hall of fame. To me the HOF is for the very best and not just a HOF for the very good.
Blowhard.jpg

brlgogorefined.jpg

The funny part of the "we're not a blue blood" conversation is that IU is one title run away from being third on the all time list with six. If everyone around the program from the admin down to the $10 donors would stop embracing mediocrity it could happen. But, this stopped being an all or nothing deal with IU, and twenty years later we have to debate and rationalize five seeds, sweet sixteen flameouts, and missing the tourney all together. Anything less than a final four appearance THIS year is a complete and utter failure in my opinion.
If making the final four is the only thing that makes a season a success then we have failed 68 out of 76 years of the tournament

We had a lot of ordinary years in that time frame where we didn't even make the tournament

The tournament was much smaller during the first half of that span, with only Kentucky and UNC making it almost every year. With the current size of the tournament, we'd likely have been in with something like a 7 seed most of those years.

Might be broken but it is the truth. Why is it so important to you guys to think we are an elite program. and seems offended when people actually shows you what the history really says. I would put us around the 7 or 8th best program of all time and that is very good but I just would not put us up where some of you think we are.

The tournament was much smaller during the first half of that span, with only Kentucky and UNC making it almost every year. With the current size of the tournament, we'd likely have been in with something like a 7 seed most of those years.
I showed the stats of making the final four since 1985 when they expanded to 64 teams and we are not even close to those other programs. That is taking account that RMK was coach for half of that time frame.

This is incorrect. Indiana played 4 road games against the top 8 teams. Every other top 8 team played 5 road games against the top 8 teams except for Maryland who played 6 road games against the top 8 teams. So IU was one game off most every big ten team. We won by 2 games. We weren't losing at home so this "cake big 10 schedule" is farse. It was proven before that we ranked 12th out of 14 in the big ten for schedule which is impressive considering we didn't get to play the #1 big ten team.....ourselves.

It was also proven that 8 of the last 10 years the team that won the big ten had the worst schedule and the team that finished last had the hardest schedule. I think common sense can deduce why that happens to be the case.
The weak schedule rationale has been debunked ad nauseam. Anyone still using it is willfully ignorant. It makes less than a game difference for teams at the top level of the conference.

Does anyone know how he has done in the past? All I know is that I rarely think he has anything intelligent or insightful to add to any conversation with the possible exception of NBA because I don't really follow it closely.

Makes as much sense as any other pick, I guess. Going through the brackets, it seems fairly wide open.

I think we are way better than Iowa but just not at the level of UK, Duke, UNC or Kansas.

okay, then as the 5th or 6th best school all-time, can we ask to compete in March? can we ask to win more than 4 tourney games in 6 years?

again, no one said we were Duke. NO ONE. That was another one of your straw man arguments because you really, really like to argue. lol. but we can be 85% of Duke considering our vast resources. that is what folks mean. you are too literal to be real :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT