ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day: Jalen Hood-Schifino

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
What a game by the freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino. He notched 35 points in a winning effort at #5 Purdue last night and he cracked a few records in his efforts.

First of all, JHS put up the most points by a Hoosier freshman in a Big Ten game in decades, and possibly since George McGinnis, though I cannot validate that currently.

He became the first freshman since Isiah Thomas to put up 30+ in a winning effort vs a Big Ten team.

He joins TJD as the first pair to each notch multiple 30 point games since at least 1995.

He became the first freshman Hoosier since Eric Gordon to surpass 30 points in any game multiple times.

And some records related to the win:
Second time ever that IU defeated a ranked Purdue twice in the same season.
First time beating a top 5 Purdue twice in the regular season

Reactions: Indianaftw
2 points for JHS tonight in the Laker game. He's averaging 1.8ppg on the season. He would have been sensational in college this year. It's hard to fathom his career is better off by leaving "as soon as possible".

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Webb iu
NBA has far better skills training, better trainers, better developmental programs and unlimited resources to do it. It's not the 1980s anymore where players only developed in college. They put a lot of effort, emphasis and work into their million dollar investments. It would be a complete dumbass move not to go when you're slated for first round and a guaranteed contract.

It's still up to the player to want to get better and put in the work but JHS will have no issues with that.

NBA has far better skills training, better trainers, better developmental programs and unlimited resources to do it. It's not the 1980s anymore where players only developed in college. They put a lot of effort, emphasis and work into their million dollar investments. It would be a complete dumbass move not to go when you're slated for first round and a guaranteed contract.

It's still up to the player to want to get better and put in the work but JHS will have no issues with that.
NBA likes young skilled kids. Freshman and Sophomores. 😉

It's not how much he made. It's how much he will make that matters.

Game environment is game environment. You could argue that a key difference between JHS and Anthony Black was defense. One more year working on defense, plus an undoubted boost in offensive output, and he moves up from #17, and then actually plays as a rookie.

The other reason to stay is to secure a legacy from your college team. 65 years is a long time to live after you leave college. Do you want to be a washed up nobody remembered for high school achievements (Romeo) or someone who actually achieved something in college and pro?

I hate to point out the negatives but most of you are not very confident in ability. Taking the money and running is what you do when you don't believe you have much of a future.

Reactions: asindc

Game environment is game environment. You could argue that a key difference between JHS and Anthony Black was defense. One more year working on defense, plus an undoubted boost in offensive output, and he moves up from #17, and then actually plays as a rookie.

The other reason to stay is to secure a legacy from your college team. 65 years is a long time to live after you leave college. Do you want to be a washed up nobody remembered for high school achievements (Romeo) or someone who actually achieved something in college and pro?

I hate to point out the negatives but most of you are not very confident in ability. Taking the money and running is what you do when you don't believe you have much of a future.
Great point and kind of what I was wondering. JHS went 17th and got 4 years/$17,882,808. Black went 6th and got 4 years/$32,929,836. That's $15M for one more year of college and whatever he could have commanded in NIL.

Reactions: asindc

Excellent often-overlooked points, especially game environment. You can train 18 hours a day and you still won’t get the experience playing in actual competitive games gives you.

I looked at freshmen stats for JHS and Romeo. They both played about 1000 minutes-

JHS 13.5 ppg
Romeo-16.5 ppg

JHS 3.7 apg
Romeo-2.3 apg

JHS 4.1 rpg
Romeo 5.4 rpg

JHS 41.7 fg%
Romeo 44.8 fg%

Statistically for their seasons pretty much the same player with edge for Romeo.

Sorry but neither made an impact on IU’s basketball history. One and Done footnotes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
Taking the money and running is what you do when you don't believe you have much of a future.
I call bullshit. "Taking money and running" is what you do if you're smart. If you were majoring in, say, criminal justice, you wouldn't turn down a lucrative offer from the FBI after your freshmen year.

Be better.

Reactions: kunkrj

And what if he stayed and had a catastrophic injury, basketball related or not?
Yes, I know the odds are long but they are not zero and IU fans know that to be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT