ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day: 25 win seasons all have this in common

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
In a stunning storm cloud on the lovefest that is IU pre-season speculation, the Hoosiers have never won 25 games in a season without a lockdown 3pt shooter knocking them down at a 40% plus clip.
They didn't have one last year, so either someone steps up Big on outside shooting, or the results might not be as good as expected/projected.

Reactions: birdforbogey
In a stunning storm cloud on the lovefest that is IU pre-season speculation, the Hoosiers have never won 25 games in a season without a lockdown 3pt shooter knocking them down at a 40% plus clip.
They didn't have one last year, so either someone steps up Big on outside shooting, or the results might not be as good as expected/projected.
Does it have to be over 50+ attempts? If not. I bet we have one this year. Hell, X will be close.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
most of those seasons were under knight who emphasized outside shooting with the motion offense, this team can win 25 without an Alford type

FTs have always been a mystery to me. Same distance in junior high, HS, or college. Likely every team practices them. Seems like even bigs should be at 70%.
Outside shots are always jump shots. Does standing on the floor at the free throw line change things?
I shoot 70% in my driveway. Does that count?

we wont go very far/deep without above avg (40%) outside shooting.
the crisp kick out pass, chest high, will be a welcome improvement over last year.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
I shoot 70% in my driveway. Does that count?
FTs have always been a mystery to me. Same distance in junior high, HS, or college. Likely every team practices them. Seems like even bigs should be at 70%.
Outside shots are always jump shots. Does standing on the floor at the free throw line change things?
I think it must have something to do with all-eyes-focused-on-you. Some players can't block out the beady eyes bearing down on them, magnifying the burden of responsibility to hit such a contrived, uncontested shot. Didn't TJD even have a free throw attempt that fell about 3' short? It happens mentally as "rigor mortis of the mind translating to the appendages" the psychologists call it in their trade journals. Lay folks refer to the malady as simply "short-arming" it.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
It happens mentally as "rigor mortis of the mind translating to the appendages" the psychologists call it in their trade journals. Lay folks refer to the malady as simply "short-arming" it.
It's hardly mental paralysis and pretty sure psychologists have a much more elegant/succinct term for such. Always thought 'stage-dick' summed it up pretty well.

Last edited:
I think it must have something to do with all-eyes-focused-on-you. Some players can't block out the beady eyes bearing down on them, magnifying the burden of responsibility to hit such a contrived, uncontested shot. Didn't TJD even have a free throw attempt that fell about 3' short? It happens mentally as "rigor mortis of the mind translating to the appendages" the psychologists call it in their trade journals. Lay folks refer to the malady as simply "short-arming" it.
Good point. Looking at giant face cards, spinning wheels, waving hands, etc may well make it harder.
I think if I were a coach I would run wind sprints then shoot 3-4 free throws. Run again then shoot again. I would also have managers do disrupting things in the visual field. Maybe that has all been tried.

Shooting seems to be a point of emphasis for everyone this summer.

It would be odd indeed, if 15’ FTs weren’t part of the drill too.

I expect mental toughness at the FT stripe to improve this season too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT