ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB for 3-0 UNLV refuses to play anymore this season…..

As a side note, it seems some schools have not so great reputations with their NIL promises, and I would guess players/agents are well aware of who they are.

I've never heard of any issues with our collectives. Seems basic but I suspect it makes a difference that players know offers from IU are solid and get paid out.

Last edited:
Some of these schools probably don't have the money that they initially promised. They certainly don't have the mega TV contracts like the BT and SEC or the very large alumni/booster bases in which to drum up NIL cash from.

NIL is also ripe for fraud and skimming...I don't care for NIL because you are buying a team. It certainly cheapens the experience, IMO.

So the NCAA grants a red shirt year now for non-payment? I guess as long as he doesn't play the number of games. Doesn't the school have to apply? Or is it the player? Maybe the school will anyway to not be part of the kid getting ripped off. Just wondering, clearly I know zilch about red-shirting.

Some of these schools probably don't have the money that they initially promised. They certainly don't have the mega TV contracts like the BT and SEC or the very large alumni/booster bases in which to drum up NIL cash from.

NIL is also ripe for fraud and skimming...I don't care for NIL because you are buying a team. It certainly cheapens the experience, IMO.

What does the TV contract have to do with this situation?

Reactions: iueyedoc99
So the NCAA grants a red shirt year now for non-payment? I guess as long as he doesn't play the number of games. Doesn't the school have to apply? Or is it the player? Maybe the school will anyway to not be part of the kid getting ripped off. Just wondering, clearly I know zilch about red-shirting.
Yes, you are correct in your second sentence. You can redshirt if you play 4 games or less. It has nothing to do with NIL. And it doesn't matter whose decision it is if the player plays 4 games or less.

What does the TV contract have to do with this situation?
Maybe a guns or butter situation? Like, the big TV contracts give schools some flexibility in asking boosters to give to NIL fund vs. athletic department? I have no personal knowledge if that's true or not, just spitballing.

Reactions: Al Bino
If i were Coaching, having this guy around at all, would be too big a distraction for the Team and Coaching Staff. If You are redshirting it usually means You are around the team and practicing. In this case I would say stay away from the Team and practice and We will talk after the Season. Wouldn't it be great if the Second String QB stepped up and They still had a great season, either getting to the Playoffs or a really good bowl game and They could tell this Guy, 'Thank God and Greyhound you're gone'.

If i were Coaching, having this guy around at all, would be too big a distraction for the Team and Coaching Staff. If You are redshirting it usually means You are around the team and practicing. In this case I would say stay away from the Team and practice and We will talk after the Season. Wouldn't it be great if the Second String QB stepped up and They still had a great season, either getting to the Playoffs or a really good bowl game and They could tell this Guy, 'Thank God and Greyhound you're gone'.
I would imagine he won't be around the football program and will transfer to his next destination in January.

I know little about how NIL works. Isn’t the money NOT supposed to come from the school or its athletic department?

Sounds like the coaches may have made all kinds of promises but nothing was properly set up re NIL.
My favorite thing from the reporting so far: Their collective is called U-nil-V. That's clever.

Interesting situation here apparently where a contract was promised once he enrolled but it didn't materialize once he did enroll. Which makes one wonder how many kids without the ability to redshirt and get one more year could get absolutely ripped off in the future. Life's hard in the wild wild west.

It depends on many things, but a clear verbal agreement can still stand in front of a judge... just because there's nothing in writing doesn't automatically make a lawsuit invalid.

This is the first big test to find out just how f***ed up the NIL is and to show how badly the NCAA has ruined college athletics.

It depends on many things, but a clear verbal agreement can still stand in front of a judge... just because there's nothing in writing doesn't automatically make a lawsuit invalid.

This is the first big test to find out just how f***ed up the NIL is and to show how badly the NCAA has ruined college athletics.

I guess my viewpoint that in regards to NIL, it is the NCAA ruined things but the courts.

Reactions: ;DAWG and zeke4ahs

Then again, as We have always said, a Verbal Contract is only as good as the paper on which it was written.

I wonder how other programs and Coaches will view this kid in the Transfer Portal. There are always Coaches Who think They are Father Flanigan and can save those Who have gone astray. Then again there are those Who don't want to risk a Sideshow that disrupts their Team or program. No matter how talented a player may be, He just is not worth the cost of the baggage. No matter where this Guy ends up next Year, He will be under a huge microscope.

Reactions: red hornet
Right. I'd tell this guy "goodbye and good luck ".

I wonder how other programs and Coaches will view this kid in the Transfer Portal. There are always Coaches Who think They are Father Flanigan and can save those Who have gone astray. Then again there are those Who don't want to risk a Sideshow that disrupts their Team or program. No matter how talented a player may be, He just is not worth the cost of the baggage. No matter where this Guy ends up next Year, He will be under a huge microscope.
So you would keep going to work if the paychecks just stopped? And no one else should be able to hire you?

I guess my viewpoint that in regards to NIL, it is the NCAA ruined things but the courts.

The courts just follow the law....

Seems it was obvious to everyone BUT the NCAA that the NIL was where things were headed unless the NCAA came up with some alternatives, and if they had the odds of the courts joining the side of the NCAA would have increased significantly... but no, they stood there and did nothing. The NCAA is the culprit.

I wouldn’t want him on my team and besides……in 3 games he only averaged 106 yards per game passing with a terrible 44% completion rate.

Reactions: kmathum
Just some interesting background. The prior QB for that team said that players should expect the coaches to lie about NIL and not get paid. I kid you not he posted that on twitter in a way of supporting the current staff. lol.

So you would keep going to work if the paychecks just stopped? And no one else should be able to hire you?
Let Me clarify my initial point. right now this is a "he said, She said". Nobody knows Whose version of the events is accurate. If You are looking at this on the Outside as a Coach is that no matter Who is right, the Media will have this kid under a microscope no matter Where He goes, and You will probably be answering more questions about NIL Agreements and off field issues than You will about Your team and its' performance. If You can't get a clear picture of what happened, You have to be asking whether this Kid is a drama Queen, Diva, or lightening rod, and will bring unwanted attention and distraction. And You may have to ask yourself whether this is a one time incident where there is a principle involved or whether this Kid will dive into the Hole when anything happens. What if He gets beaten out on the field and is your second or third string QB? Is He a good teammate Who will support and help the Team, or will he pout and pick up his Marbles and go Home/
Just because there is a Transfer Portal and You can enter your name, it doesn't mean Somebody is forced to take You.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Let Me clarify my initial point. right now this is a "he said, She said". Nobody knows Whose version of the events is accurate. If You are looking at this on the Outside as a Coach is that no matter Who is right, the Media will have this kid under a microscope no matter Where He goes, and You will probably be answering more questions about NIL Agreements and off field issues than You will about Your team and its' performance. If You can't get a clear picture of what happened, You have to be asking whether this Kid is a drama Queen, Diva, or lightening rod, and will bring unwanted attention and distraction. And You may have to ask yourself whether this is a one time incident where there is a principle involved or whether this Kid will dive into the Hole when anything happens. What if He gets beaten out on the field and is your second or third string QB? Is He a good teammate Who will support and help the Team, or will he pout and pick up his Marbles and go Home/
Just because there is a Transfer Portal and You can enter your name, it doesn't mean Somebody is forced to take You.
He’s a talented QB. Michigan would take him right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT