ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB for 3-0 UNLV refuses to play anymore this season…..

As a side note, it seems some schools have not so great reputations with their NIL promises, and I would guess players/agents are well aware of who they are.

I've never heard of any issues with our collectives. Seems basic but I suspect it makes a difference that players know offers from IU are solid and get paid out.

Last edited:
Some of these schools probably don't have the money that they initially promised. They certainly don't have the mega TV contracts like the BT and SEC or the very large alumni/booster bases in which to drum up NIL cash from.

NIL is also ripe for fraud and skimming...I don't care for NIL because you are buying a team. It certainly cheapens the experience, IMO.

So the NCAA grants a red shirt year now for non-payment? I guess as long as he doesn't play the number of games. Doesn't the school have to apply? Or is it the player? Maybe the school will anyway to not be part of the kid getting ripped off. Just wondering, clearly I know zilch about red-shirting.

Some of these schools probably don't have the money that they initially promised. They certainly don't have the mega TV contracts like the BT and SEC or the very large alumni/booster bases in which to drum up NIL cash from.

NIL is also ripe for fraud and skimming...I don't care for NIL because you are buying a team. It certainly cheapens the experience, IMO.

What does the TV contract have to do with this situation?

So the NCAA grants a red shirt year now for non-payment? I guess as long as he doesn't play the number of games. Doesn't the school have to apply? Or is it the player? Maybe the school will anyway to not be part of the kid getting ripped off. Just wondering, clearly I know zilch about red-shirting.
Yes, you are correct in your second sentence. You can redshirt if you play 4 games or less. It has nothing to do with NIL. And it doesn't matter whose decision it is if the player plays 4 games or less.

What does the TV contract have to do with this situation?
Maybe a guns or butter situation? Like, the big TV contracts give schools some flexibility in asking boosters to give to NIL fund vs. athletic department? I have no personal knowledge if that's true or not, just spitballing.

Reactions: Al Bino
Didn’t IU get in contact with this guy at one point? I seem to remember that.

I’m good with TJ, Cherry and Mendoza fwiw. Unless Lewis “shocks the world” and comes to Bloomington.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
If i were Coaching, having this guy around at all, would be too big a distraction for the Team and Coaching Staff. If You are redshirting it usually means You are around the team and practicing. In this case I would say stay away from the Team and practice and We will talk after the Season. Wouldn't it be great if the Second String QB stepped up and They still had a great season, either getting to the Playoffs or a really good bowl game and They could tell this Guy, 'Thank God and Greyhound you're gone'.

If i were Coaching, having this guy around at all, would be too big a distraction for the Team and Coaching Staff. If You are redshirting it usually means You are around the team and practicing. In this case I would say stay away from the Team and practice and We will talk after the Season. Wouldn't it be great if the Second String QB stepped up and They still had a great season, either getting to the Playoffs or a really good bowl game and They could tell this Guy, 'Thank God and Greyhound you're gone'.
I would imagine he won't be around the football program and will transfer to his next destination in January.

I know little about how NIL works. Isn’t the money NOT supposed to come from the school or its athletic department?

Sounds like the coaches may have made all kinds of promises but nothing was properly set up re NIL.

I know little about how NIL works. Isn’t the money NOT supposed to come from the school or its athletic department?

Sounds like the coaches may have made all kinds of promises but nothing was properly set up re NIL.
My favorite thing from the reporting so far: Their collective is called U-nil-V. That's clever.

Interesting situation here apparently where a contract was promised once he enrolled but it didn't materialize once he did enroll. Which makes one wonder how many kids without the ability to redshirt and get one more year could get absolutely ripped off in the future. Life's hard in the wild wild west.

It depends on many things, but a clear verbal agreement can still stand in front of a judge... just because there's nothing in writing doesn't automatically make a lawsuit invalid.

This is the first big test to find out just how f***ed up the NIL is and to show how badly the NCAA has ruined college athletics.

Reactions: TMFT and Kelly_32
It depends on many things, but a clear verbal agreement can still stand in front of a judge... just because there's nothing in writing doesn't automatically make a lawsuit invalid.

This is the first big test to find out just how f***ed up the NIL is and to show how badly the NCAA has ruined college athletics.

I guess my viewpoint that in regards to NIL, it is the NCAA ruined things but the courts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT