ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

I’m bullish on JHS based on his tape, but I’m about 40/60 on Tamar being the guy people think he is. He shows a lot of traits AAU paper tigers have in common. Over dribbles, can’t guard, doesn’t really rebound, talks a big game. He seems to have a decent attitude and hasn’t acted like a baby yet, so that’s good.

It’s silly to suggest any unproven player “plays major minutes or we’re not very good.” It’s that mindset that makes IU shooting for 5th every year, and the opposite makes Wisconsin win the league.

Our fans don’t always understand hoops. I get that IU needs Bates and JHS to be as good as billed to be like a Kansas. Doesn’t mean they are that good. They have to prove it.
Our current roster without Hood on it isn’t a very good guard/wing group. So if he is a “paper tiger” then woody missed in recruiting

Why can’t they? Take PU for example…our 2-3 vs them would guard Ivey and Stefanivic.
Lol. For one Stef is the easiest guy in D1 to guard. Our worst perimeter defender could guard him. Well of course you put your best defender on Ivey regardless if he’s a 1,2 or 3.

Players are allowed to improve.
Agree, that’s why I typed that exact thought above.

If Treys jumper improves Bates may never play.

Trey had plenty as a freshman that Bates did not have except a high ranking.

Agree, that’s why I typed that exact thought above.

If Treys jumper improves Bates may never play.

Trey had plenty as a freshman that Bates did not have except a high ranking.
They'll both play extensive minutes regardless if Trey can shoot or not. With those severely flawed mechanics, his ability to become a good 3pt shooter is very limited.

Tamar needs strength, confidence and minutes to iron everything out. Played way too passive last year.

I hope both of them breakout ...

They'll both play extensive minutes regardless if Trey can shoot or not. With those severely flawed mechanics, his ability to become a good 3pt shooter is very limited.

Tamar needs strength, confidence and minutes to iron everything out. Played way too passive last year.

I hope both of them breakout ...
Tamar will. Guaranteed. I’ve never been so nostradumbass in my IU sports history.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Tamar will. Guaranteed. I’ve never been so nostradumbass in my IU sports history.
You can see he has the offensive skill set to be a damn good player and it's obvious. Hopefully everything clicks this year.

Reactions: Zeke7
By January I say:

Xavier
Tamar
JHS
Race
TJD

A nasty bench of Geronimo, Malik, Galloway, Kopp, and Gunn. Would love to see Geronimo beat out Race. Healthy competition.
Agre except for JG beating out Race. My choice would be for Reneau to supplant Race (not because Race isn’t playing well)

With Woody calling the shots I don't think it's that important as to who the starting five are. It will be very interesting to see who the finishing five are.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Out in a limb (big one lol)

TJD……Duncombe
RACE……Malik
MILLER……JG
GUNN……Bates/Galloway (toss up)
X……Jhs

Reactions: ufo33
If Gunn starts I’ll give you a 100 bucks, and be happy to do it too.
Keep it for the craps table

group of us heading out to Vegas for IU vs Zona.
I’m biased towards Gunn being an Indy kid from LN. truly want the 2G position to flourish at IU. Bates and Gunn could really be difference makers

Reactions: Cavanagh
It will be interesting if Woody plays with the line up this year. The same starting 5 all year long blew my mind.
Me too. And what’s even more messed up is there were matchups where the team played better with TJD on the bench. If he brings an outside game to the team this year abs has reliable range, it changed everything. I still maintain that it will all come down to our guards. JHS is an awesome get. Need Tamar to have a big leap. Not seeing it from Galloway and tough to see any meaningful minutes from Leal. What’s awesome is how much our talent has been upgraded from last season. Going to be fun seeing how this season develops.

Keep it for the craps table

group of us heading out to Vegas for IU vs Zona.
I’m biased towards Gunn being an Indy kid from LN. truly want the 2G position to flourish at IU. Bates and Gunn could really be difference makers
Deal. Agree, I like the type of player LN over the years has produced. If Banks or Gunn play 5-10 mins a game next year I think a lot of people will be shocked. That will also mean they are pretty damn good.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Players are allowed to improve.

Just as Galloway can improve on his 20% TO ratio, which needs drastic improvement by taking better care of the ball. Tamar can improve in areas where he's weak.
Pretty funny that 9 of his 27 TOs for the season were against Northwestern and Nebraska. Both games where the point guard couldn’t keep his head out of ass by being suspended or in foul trouble. (5 TOs at NU playing point guard for 37 minutes lol). Meanwhile the other guards can’t be trusted with the ball. No need to dissect the other games because the same BS applies

The ball ended up in his hands way too much because the other guards can’t carry the weight.

Too easy

Pretty funny that 9 of his 27 TOs for the season were against Northwestern and Nebraska. Both games where the point guard couldn’t keep his head out of ass by being suspended or in foul trouble. (5 TOs at NU playing point guard for 37 minutes lol). Meanwhile the other guards can’t be trusted with the ball. No need to dissect the other games because the same BS applies

The ball ended up in his hands way too much because the other guards can’t carry the weight.

Too easy
Is 6’4 galloway a 2 or a 3? Asking for a friend. @Victorbmyboy

No they aren’t…buddy. If jg plays the three he will never be considered a 2. Buddy. Would Parker Stewert be considered a 3 then?
Ok..2012-13 team IU started…
Yogi
Hulls
Vic
Watford
Zeller.

a pg and two wings with a stretch 4 and a 5 man. So quit arguing about something you are wrong about

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What’s the difference? They both are on the wing. JG size is a 2-3 but his skill set is a paint player
They are not the same. You would never play jG at the 2. Hell you wouldn’t play Kopp at the 2. Just because they are called “wings” doesn’t mean they are the same. 2 completely different positions. Ever notice where the 3 lines up on offense? Wing forwards are not wing guards. Are there players that can play both? Yes.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Ok..2012-13 team IU started…
Yogi
Hulls
Vic
Watford
Zeller.

a pg and two wings with a stretch 4 and a 5 man. So quit arguing about something you are wrong about
Crean played a three guard offense. Liked to run 2 point guards. Hulls is a classic 2 guard. You are just being ignorant now. You would never put hulks at the small forward wing position. Good lord. I’m done.

They are not the same. You would never play jG at the 2. Hell you wouldn’t play Kopp at the 2. Just because they are called “wings” doesn’t mean they are the same. 2 completely different positions. Ever notice where the 3 lines up on offense? Wing forwards are not wing guards. Are there players that can play both? Yes.
Most teams 2-3 are the same player. BIG champs this here played Ivey and stefanovic. Both wings

Crean played a three guard offense. Liked to run 2 point guards. Hulls is a classic 2 guard. You are just being ignorant now. You would never put hulks at the small forward wing position. Good lord. I’m done.
Teams don’t play the damn Carolina offense anymore. It’s spread the floor and have wing shooters my goodness.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I’m asking you who plays the most minutes. I’m still not sold on JG playing consistently at the 3. So who plays what spot? No more than 9 deep. Most likely 8.
Last year we had 10 players average over 10 mins a game. With an arguably deeper team, you still think 8?

12-13 IU team vs this years PU team
Yogi—-Hunter
Hulls—-sasha
Vic—Ivey
Watford—-Gillis
Zeller—-Edey

soooo who is the 2 and the 3??
Pretty easy answer. Both Vic and Ivey are athletic enough and strong enough (in college) to guard most teams 3s. Therefore they would be considered the 3. Many teams including the two you listed play 3 guard lineups though. Much of it is about matching up to your opponents.

Would you want sasha on Vic all game? Hell no. Would you want Hulls on Ivey all game? Hell no.

You wouldn’t want either Hulls or Sasha or Rob or Leal guarding any true 3 because they are all 1s or 1/2s. Some players can play either but many cannot. You would never want the above players playing a 3 for long periods. You would never want Kopp or Geronimo playing a 2 with their current skill set.

Edit - Sasha is probably closer to a hybrid 2/3 than I thought at 6’5” so he could probably play a bit of both offensively. He just can’t guard either.

Out in a limb (big one lol)

TJD……Duncombe
RACE……Malik
MILLER……JG
GUNN……Bates/Galloway (toss up)
X……Jhs
I’d argue that is a really small limb that will collapse under the weight of that list ;)

Last year we had 10 players average over 10 mins a game. With an arguably deeper team, you still think 8?
Could be ten. I bet it settles a bit. I think woody was forced to play ten. Just didn’t have enough talent. I’d argue with better talent you don’t need to go as far into the bench.

Pretty easy answer. Both Vic and Ivey are athletic enough and strong enough (in college) to guard most teams 3s. Therefore they would be considered the 3. Many teams including the two you listed play 3 guard lineups though. Much of it is about matching up to your opponents.

Would you want sasha on Vic all game? Hell no. Would you want Hulls on Ivey all game? Hell no.

You wouldn’t want either Hulls or Sasha or Rob or Leal guarding any true 3 because they are all 1s or 1/2s. Some players can play either but many cannot. You would never want the above players playing a 3 for long periods. You would never want Kopp or Geronimo playing a 2 with their current skill set.

Edit - Sasha is probably closer to a hybrid 2/3 than I thought at 6’5” so he could probably play a bit of both offensively. He just can’t guard either.
I don't want JG playing the 3 with his current skill set!

I'm hoping JG can play alongside Trayce and Race vs subbing for Race, because those two bring totally different skill sets.

The one thing JG struggles with is his handle. He also doesn't seem to be a gifted passer. Those two things hurt his effectiveness as a 3.

That being said, he's got a really good looking shot and can definitely stretch the floor.

So why do I want him as a 3 vs a sub for Race... because one of my biggest frustrations last year was watching Geronimo dominate his man defensively while altering shots with his freakish length, hops and physicality.

There isn't a huge amount of data but I would pay attention to who he ended up guarding and the majority of the time his man struggled against him.

Since he was a 4, he was basically guarding power forwards. In the meantime, Parker Stewart was guarding the best scorers in the league and getting lit up. Guys like Ivey, Davis, Murray in the BTT.....I wanted to see how JG would do.

Maybe his lateral quickness is a hindrance but watching how he guarded and how disruptive he was, I wanted to see him guard the scoring wings.

IF Geronimo can play the 3, that allows us to play our three most disruptive defensive players in JG, Race and of course TJD.

I would like to see that.

Reactions: Falky22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT