ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

It was also closing games.

If you take last years team, and the team improves/learns how to close out games, we could have easily been 3-4 games better in conference play.

a few missed bunnies here
A poor defensive rotation
A turnover
A missed free throw

Those things killed us late.,,. But, wait for it:

you can learn to close out games, You can learn to be clutch. You can improve.

I’ll pencil in the four returning starters and slide Trey in to Parker’s slot. I don’t can that he’s “not a 2” and “can’t shoot”. He has shown he can break down off the dribble and score. Oh, and the offense moves much better with him out there.

X
Trey
kopp
Race
TJD

Hood-S will slide into Phins minutes.
Geronimo will get plenty of time off the bench as an energy guy.

Bates? To me he’s a big ? mark. I think it’s expected that he takes the same sort of Jump that we saw Franklin make. We’ll see. One thing I do notice is that posters here always mention him and confidence in the same sentence. Whether or not it’s a problem or it’s an asset (and I’ve seen it said he’s going to be a stud b/c no one is more confident and also said that he just lacked confidence last year- odd).
Yes yes yes.

So what is the answer chief? Keep same lineup next year and keep banging our head against the wall on why we can’t score?
Yes. They can score. I’ve given reasons. You just don’t like them because you have it in your head the only solution is the one you say. It’s not.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yes. They can score. I’ve given reasons. You just don’t like them because you have it in your head the only solution is the one you say. It’s not.
No you haven’t.. you said make FT’s and hit bunnies. That’s like saying complete
More balls in football. We need more talent at the guard spot. We lacked it last year. Also you still haven’t told me the difference in the 2 abs the 3 when there really isn’t one.

No you haven’t.. you said make FT’s and hit bunnies. That’s like saying complete
More balls in football. We need more talent at the guard spot. We lacked it last year. Also you still haven’t told me the difference in the 2 abs the 3 when there really isn’t one.
Good frigin grief. Hit their bunnies and thier free throws. JG is horrid at free throws. So put a guy in because you think he’s better but the stats overall don’t line up with that. What I’m saying is better efficiency. They simply weren’t efficient enough at both. I know they were over just at 50% from 2 but this team could be better at that and should be. Kansas was better at both but marginally better at the 3. This team should focus on hitting those easy ones they missed time and again. Sure I’d love to see more made 3s but that is a less efficient shot at least for these players.

Galloway can be a good scorer for us, even without developing an outside shot*. He gets to the hole and puts pressure on the defense by movement, driving, scoring off the dribble, and facilitating others.

*which he could develop, making him a very lethal scoring option.

So based off your post, we shouldn’t expect to be any better next year?
Well, since we're talking about last year and not the coming year... your post basically makes no sense. Are you having trouble with the language? Is there another language you're better versed in other than English?

Last edited:
Good frigin grief. Hit their bunnies and thier free throws. JG is horrid at free throws. So put a guy in because you think he’s better but the stats overall don’t line up with that. What I’m saying is better efficiency. They simply weren’t efficient enough at both. I know they were over just at 50% from 2 but this team could be better at that and should be. Kansas was better at both but marginally better at the 3. This team should focus on hitting those easy ones they missed time and again. Sure I’d love to see more made 3s but that is a less efficient shot at least for these players.
We have one of the best bigs in the country. Spread the floor, penetrate and drop or kick. Bates, X and Hood can do that

Galloway can be a good scorer for us, even without developing an outside shot*. He gets to the hole and puts pressure on the defense by movement, driving, scoring off the dribble, and facilitating others.

I was surprised at how many teams have moved to more efficient ways of scoring. They no longer live and die by the 3. NBA teams use match ups and passing as much as just jacking up shots.

Well, since we're talking about last year and not the coming year... your post basically makes no sense. Are you having trouble with the language? Is there another language your better versed in other than English?
Nope not at all smart ass

He needs to completely revise his shot mechanics. Footwork is fine, he has touch and that obvious, but that release is just screwed up. Changing it would make it worse for awhile but it needs to be done.

Last edited:
I was surprised at how many teams have moved to more efficient ways of scoring. They no longer live and die by the 3. NBA teams use match ups and passing as much as just jacking up shots.
Have you watched the playoffs? They are shooting about 30 threes a game lol. Mavs took 45 Friday

Yes. Getting better off the dribble. Drive and kick. Getting better at shooting. That’s a given but if you trade defense for a slightly better offense then you are working backwards.
Not sure I agree 100%. We will still have rim protectors. We were really bad offensively. I think we have to substitute some defense for better offense.

It’s a wash but better defense always trumps offense because of bad shooting nights.
Ehhh idk about that. Not over the course of an entire season. Maybe in a single game it can squeak you out a win but if your going to be really good, you need to be very good offensively. This is why we were 9-11’inc conference play. We were 3rd best defense but went 9-11

Ehhh idk about that. Not over the course of an entire season. Maybe in a single game it can squeak you out a win but if your going to be really good, you need to be very good offensively. This is why we were 9-11’inc conference play. We were 3rd best defense but went 9-11
We won games with lockdown defense at times. Problem was over the course of the season we weren’t so lockdown. I believe they will be even better on defense and slightly better on offense naturally.

We won games with lockdown defense at times. Problem was over the course of the season we weren’t so lockdown. I believe they will be even better on defense and slightly better on offense naturally.
Still we had a top 3 Defense but yet finished 9th in conference. defense wasn’t an issue. An awful offense was.

D is absolutely Frosh nemesis in CBB. Even Bates who I do believe makes a big jump to better results this season has to bring a defensive game as improved as his offensive prowess. Woodson players playing the best defense play the most.
JHS strong defense may earn him earlier PT than many might think.

If you take last years team, and the team improves/learns how to close out games, we could have easily been 3-4 games better in conference play.

A few missed bunnies here
A turnover
A missed free throw

I’ll pencil in the four returning starters and slide Trey in to Parker’s slot. I don’t care that he’s “not a 2” and “can’t shoot”. He has shown he can break down off the dribble and score. Oh, and the offense moves much better with him out there.

X
Trey
kopp (and I suspect he will be en fuego)
Race
TJD

Bates? To me he’s a big ? mark. I think it’s expected that he takes the same sort of Jump that we saw Franklin make. We’ll see. One thing I do notice is that posters here always mention him and confidence in the same sentence. Whether or not it’s a problem or it’s an asset (and I’ve seen it said he’s going to be a stud b/c no one is more confident and also said that he just lacked confidence last year- odd).
Great post and take. I think what you have for the lineup will ultimately be the one that starts the season.

First Unit / Second Unit:
Xavier / Hood-Schifino (70/30)
Galloway / Bates (50/50)
Kopp / JG (50/50)
Thompson / Reneau (70/30)
Jackson-Davis / Duncomb (80/20)

Benchwarmers:
Leal
Banks
Gunn

Reactions: HillzHoozier

A few missed bunnies here
A turnover
A missed free throw

I’ll pencil in the four returning starters and slide Trey in to Parker’s slot. I don’t care that he’s “not a 2” and “can’t shoot”. He has shown he can break down off the dribble and score. Oh, and the offense moves much better with him out there.

X
Trey
kopp (and I suspect he will be en fuego)
Race
TJD

If Trey and Kopp start, that's a bad sign; it means other returning players haven't developed much, and the frosh are overhyped.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Only thing that changed from last year are the added freshman. Woody will do why woody’s going to do, but every starter from last season is back with the exception of Stewart. Galloway most likely takes his spot, right?
If that’s the case did we get any better?

Only thing that changed from last year are the added freshman. Woody will do why woody’s going to do, but every starter from last season is back with the exception of Stewart. Galloway most likely takes his spot, right?
Not if IU wants to be any threat from the perimeter.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If that’s the case did we get any better?
Great questions. I think we will see improvement from TJD by stretching out his offensive game by taking 12-15 footers. I also think Geronimo will be a stud. Will have to see what the freshman bring. I also think the collective group will improve due to being in coach woody’s system and culture for a year. Finally, and this is a recording for me, our team will be as good as our guards / shooting. Without guards who can consistently knock down shots and create offense, tough to see us being a whole lot better.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Tell us. Who do you play that isn’t a step back defensively. Can’t go with hypotheticals. I’m sure you are one of the guys saying JG is a 3.
Whichever way Woody goes at the 3, there will likely be a offense/defense tradeoff. There aren't many "five-tool" guys among the returning perimeter/wing players.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Whichever way Woody goes at the 3, there will likely be a offense/defense tradeoff. There aren't many "five-tool" guys among the returning perimeter/wing players.
That’s why I think Kopp starts. Only proven guy he has. I’m not saying I’m happy about it. It’s our weakest spot at the moment. Sucks but that’s reality.

Great questions. I think we will see improvement from TJD by stretching out his offensive game by taking 12-15 footers. I also think Geronimo will be a stud. Will have to see what the freshman bring. I also think the collective group will improve due to being in coach woody’s system and culture for a year. Finally, and this is a recording for me, our team will be as good as our guards / shooting. Without guards who can consistently knock down shots and create offense, tough to see us being a whole lot better.
If we essentially play the same lineup as last year minus Stewart. We will be middle of the pack BIG. Woody has to make some changes to his offense. Bates and Hood need to play a lot.

You could very well be correct. Really, one could argue that Kopp is IU's only "true" wing player.
He’s the classic definition. Modern 3s are more dynamic. Score easier off the bounce. He does draw his guy in close and physically gets past them. He just misses shots off the dribble. He hits those and people will shut up about him. His floater wasn’t bad.

Only 1 is proven. We aren’t playing JHS at the 2. He’s going to play back up point. None of the freshman will start day one. Will JHS play some 2? Probably. TG will start at the 2. Will some of them work their way to starting? Yes.
X and JHS can play together. X is our best returning scorer in the back court. I'm thinking of when Hulls and Yogi played together. JG is athletic and did show some shooting ability at the end of the season. He could play the 3, not sure he would start.I have a feeling Kopp will start. He wasn't the scoring threat we needed, but Woody never wavered on Kopp as a starter. There are better options imho to start instead of him. Woody might see him as a glue guy or a forth scoring option that won't complain about not getting the ball.

Not my line up but what my gut tells me:

Xavier
JHS
Kopp
Race
TJD

A lot can happen this summer and when practice starts. Bates and JG didn't stay to come off the bench again. I really hope they work hard and earn a starting spot or major minutes.

Always find it amusing when people say Galloway could develop a shot....he grew up with full access to a gym his whole life and father as a coach. If he still can't shoot by now, I don't think it is happening.

Reactions: kkott and bsmitty08
Always find it amusing when people say Galloway could develop a shot....he grew up with full access to a gym his whole life and father as a coach. If he still can't shoot by now, I don't think it is happening.
Get ready to start screaming. If he is open Woody will make him shoot it. He will get open looks.

X and JHS can play together. X is our best returning scorer in the back court. I'm thinking of when Hulls and Yogi played together. JG is athletic and did show some shooting ability at the end of the season. He could play the 3, not sure he would start.I have a feeling Kopp will start. He wasn't the scoring threat we needed, but Woody never wavered on Kopp as a starter. There are better options imho to start instead of him. Woody might see him as a glue guy or a forth scoring option that won't complain about not getting the ball.

Not my line up but what my gut tells me:

Xavier
JHS
Kopp
Race
TJD

A lot can happen this summer and when practice starts. Bates and JG didn't stay to come off the bench again. I really hope they work hard and earn a starting spot or major minutes.
Kopp, JG and Bates are potentially all playing at the 3. JG has a long way to go at that spot. Weird to say that bates is closer to a starter at the 3. JHS will play the 2 some but he’s most definitely the back up point. Good thing is X can play a ton of minutes so it does open JHS up at the 2 but I bet he doesn’t start. At least right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT