ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Portal

according to this all hell break loose on April 16.
Everyone is eligible to transfer
I posted this in a thread but then thought it deserved it own thread

There is nothing the NCAA or schools can do about it now. NIL is supposedly outside university control.

What they can do, as NCAA member schools, is band together to no longer give athletic scholarships. Scholarships for need, sure, but good players can receive enough NIL money to pay their own way for college. Also, they can enforce academic requirements more, which I'm sure isn't being done now.

The NCAA should also petition Congress to pass laws like they did for MLB and NFL I don't know about NBA. Do away with NIL and give employment contracts to players, with direct payments, which would prohibit school-hopping by contract.

The day of the amateur athlete is over - time for the government to start treating universities as the businesses they are.

There is nothing the NCAA or schools can do about it now. NIL is supposedly outside university control.

What they can do, as NCAA member schools, is band together to no longer give athletic scholarships. Scholarships for need, sure, but good players can receive enough NIL money to pay their own way for college. Also, they can enforce academic requirements more, which I'm sure isn't being done now.

The NCAA should also petition Congress to pass laws like they did for MLB and NFL I don't know about NBA. Do away with NIL and give employment contracts to players, with direct payments, which would prohibit school-hopping by contract.

The day of the amateur athlete is over - time for the government to start treating universities as the businesses they are.
We can't stop players from being paid. But does there have to be a transfer portal. Can the NCAA enforce the one time transfer rule? And at least make them go to class and work towards earning a degree.

We can't stop players from being paid. But does there have to be a transfer portal. Can the NCAA enforce the one time transfer rule? And at least make them go to class and work towards earning a degree.
Yes, they certainly can make them go to class and work towards earning a degree - I think that should be the main thing they do.

As far as transferring, I don't know. I would think they could, but with the way the courts are ruling, who knows.

Yes, they certainly can make them go to class and work towards earning a degree - I think that should be the main thing they do.

As far as transferring, I don't know. I would think they could, but with the way the courts are ruling, who knows.

I think the NCAA could require transfers to meet minimum GPA requirements and be on pace to graduate in 4 years. Scholarships could be forgivable loans with repayment if an athlete does not graduate within 5-6 years.

Just a couple of thoughts.

I think the NCAA could require transfers to meet minimum GPA requirements and be on pace to graduate in 4 years. Scholarships could be forgivable loans with repayment if an athlete does not graduate within 5-6 years.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Great ideas. I love the forgivable loan idea.

Aren't they supposed to be students in good standing to be able to transfer today? Not that I think it's being enforced......

Great ideas. I love the forgivable loan idea.

Aren't they supposed to be students in good standing to be able to transfer today? Not that I think it's being enforced......

But what does that mean? Add a 3.0 GPA requirement and/or completed hours requirements, and watch a lot of butts stay put.

That's fine. You and I could talk to each other.
Confession: My undergrad gpa was something like 2.86. And I feel fortunate to get that.

I redeemed myself in grad school, with a 3.7 gpa and I worked my ass off for it. I also layed off the partying and running around - I got married. Made a huge difference, although I didn't appreciate it at the time.

Confession: My undergrad gpa was something like 2.86. And I feel fortunate to get that.

I redeemed myself in grad school, with a 3.7 gpa and I worked my ass off for it. I also layed off the partying and running around - I got married. Made a huge difference, although I didn't appreciate it at the time.

I only did undergrad and had 3.4 or 3.5. Don't recall but I was done with school. No more for me. Drank all night and spent days in the stacks studying when I didn't work. Sold women's shoes at College Mall and mowed greens at 5am at golf course until it closed for the winter in Nov. Lived on 4 hrs of sleep. So stupid.

I only did undergrad and had 3.4 or 3.5. Don't recall but I was done with school. No more for me. Drank all night and spent days in the stacks studying when I didn't work. Sold women's shoes at College Mall and mowed greens at 5am at golf course until it closed for the winter in Nov. Lived on 4 hrs of sleep. So stupid.
Eh, I don't know about stupid. Sounds like you're pretty disciplined to me.

I drank all night, but the library was a foreign land for me. Not proud of that, by the way. I have some regrets about undergrad, but I think it made me take grad school more seriously, because I knew if I f'd up there, I'd be doing something like managing a Kroger store the rest of my life. NTTAWWT

I don’t see how forcing people to stay in an unhealthy situation is a good thing for any of the parties involved. If anything, allowing free movement encourages coaches and athletic departments to build cultures that people want to be a part of and discourages clown shows, which our program has been for some time.

Also, IU is now like the 13th richest athletic department with who knows how much dark NIL money. We’re the evil rich guys in your imaginations. This is bad for pretty much any team not in the B1G or SEC, except maybe ND.

IU is around #25-30th in AD revenue if you take out the one-time transfer from the IU Foundation for Covid. Still not bad given our football struggles, the B1G TV $ is amazing.

If Cig can get us going we have a lot of football revenue upside to hopefully climb the ranks.

IU is around #25-30th in AD revenue if you take out the one-time transfer from the IU Foundation for Covid. Still not bad given our football struggles, the B1G TV $ is amazing.

If Cig can get us going we have a lot of football revenue upside to hopefully climb the ranks.
Going off of this:

Is the IU Foundation transfer you’re referring to what accounts for the $40 million jump in “contributions”? 2021 and 2022 are weirdly similar.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Going off of this:

Is the IU Foundation transfer you’re referring to what accounts for the $40 million jump in “contributions”? 2021 and 2022 are weirdly similar.
Yea, 2022 is distorted with that IUF payment, and that list uses our 2022 revenue number.

2023 revenue came in at $144M, which doesn’t have any unique payments and is a better representation of where we are. I haven’t seen a 2023 ranking yet, but you can estimate where we would be.

TV revenue is about to go up again the next two years. The B1G is the place to be for $.

A Yahoo cfb writer said at this point players could say it’s illegal for the NCAA to enforce that they can only play for 4/5 years. He said the courts would likely rule in the players favor.

Yea, 2022 is distorted with that IUF payment, and that list uses our 2022 revenue number.

2023 revenue came in at $144M, which doesn’t have any unique payments and is a better representation of where we are. I haven’t seen a 2023 ranking yet, but you can estimate where we would be.

TV revenue is about to go up again the next two years. The B1G is the place to be for $.

Thanks. I didn’t know about the IUF transfer. It’s interesting to see how other conference schools’ “contributions” increased, or not, in the same period. Also where the incoming PAC12 schools stack up.

A Yahoo cfb writer said at this point players could say it’s illegal for the NCAA to enforce that they can only play for 4/5 years. He said the courts would likely rule in the players favor.
Yeah, once they gave the extra Covid year the 5 years to play 4 concept got ripped up. You could see players who are great at College football but have a questionable NFL future have a great career collecting NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT