ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Opens Up

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
First, apologies for posting the wrong dates awhile back... I'll swear I got the info from a reputable site but at any rate those 5/1-15 dates appear to be very, very wrong... Looks like it just reopened and runs thru, or near, the end of April...

Here's the #1 guy on most lists:

And here's a list of "possible" QB's headed towards the Portal (I don't think any of these guys are actually in it yet):

This article explains how I screwed up the dates (I thought it was the NCAA site I referenced!):

And here's a list that could fill most of our needs right off the bat... Check out Oklahoma States' Left Tackle...; don't know the back story but at face value only he appears to be an immediate fit...:

Last edited:
If they don’t sign a QB this summer with some significant college experience,Allen has been assured he will be back in ‘24.

Reactions: jsenleo
If they don’t sign a QB this summer with some significant college experience,Allen has been assured he will be back in ‘24.
I am not following this. If Allen does not sign a QB we will be worse in 2023. So how does that guarantee him a job thru 2024?

I am not following this. If Allen does not sign a QB we will be worse in 2023. So how does that guarantee him a job thru 2024?
You don't know IU will be worse in 2023, if the running game develops better than the end of last year it will take the pressure off a QB. It would also help our talented receivers as defense need to do more to stop the run. I am willing to give IU the first three games to see how their season will look like this year.

This crew if active back in 1967 would be negative about the Rose Bowl team because of their bad years before. The situation isn't the same, due to schedules but you never know how a season will go.
I agree somewhat though most people knew that there was a talent infusion coming up from the freshman team that was going to be impactful. If you remember that season, though, you also know how razor thin the margin was between victory and defeat. We could’ve easily lost a few of the games we won, which would’ve obviously taken us in a different direction. We also saw how fragile success could be, as the ‘68 and ‘69 teams failed to duplicate the magic of ‘67. More than a few fans thought we’d be back in Pasadena two years later, and we couldn’t get there.

I'm not sure I follow. Allen would try to build the best team he can regardless of any assurances of being back.

This isn't the pros where you can tank to get a better draft pick.

I'm not sure I follow. Allen would try to build the best team he can regardless of any assurances of being back.

This isn't the pros where you can tank to get a better draft pick.
I think it's that I would allow the redshirt freshman to get a full year of play without sitting behind a more experienced QB. Win now vs develop for a better '24 season.

I think it's that I would allow the redshirt freshman to get a full year of play without sitting behind a more experienced QB. Win now vs develop for a better '24 season.

Not sure I would ever be for something like that. I think you can develop a young QB in garbage time and practice. If there is an opportunity to get an obviously better QB, then I would think Allen would do it regardless of his guarantees of future employment.

Plus, that would really suck for the seniors if the plan was just to use the season as a learning experience for the QB.

Garbage time? The rallying cry in the Hoosier quarterback room for several years now has been "next man up!" I fully expect the Ohio State game will see a Hoosier quarterback different than the one who started.

And who in their right mind is going to transfer into Indiana for a last season? Michigan with Jack Tuttle and Bowling Green with Connor Basilak might just be saying "hell, the last QB that got run out of Bloomington just threw for three freaking miles last year!".

I firmly believe that Walt Bell is back for a second season because he hasn't been associated with the winning program since 2016. Does anybody really think the new offensive line coach looks at Indiana is anything other than a one-year stop? He took the job because he found himself unemployed - not because it was a good fit. No way is he going to tie his long-term potential to Tom Allen especially since he got screwed over last year at Wisconsin.

I've been following the offers going out to the portal eligible players, and at this time, it's starting to look like we may not be going after a qb more and more.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Garbage time? The rallying cry in the Hoosier quarterback room for several years now has been "next man up!" I fully expect the Ohio State game will see a Hoosier quarterback different than the one who started.

And who in their right mind is going to transfer into Indiana for a last season? Michigan with Jack Tuttle and Bowling Green with Connor Basilak might just be saying "hell, the last QB that got run out of Bloomington just threw for three freaking miles last year!".

I firmly believe that Walt Bell is back for a second season because he hasn't been associated with the winning program since 2016. Does anybody really think the new offensive line coach looks at Indiana is anything other than a one-year stop? He took the job because he found himself unemployed - not because it was a good fit. No way is he going to tie his long-term potential to Tom Allen especially since he got screwed over last year at Wisconsin.

Not sold on Walt Bell's resume but that would definitely be a glass is half empty take on things.

Jack probably left because he was pissed that Connor passed him up on the depth chart. Connor left because his feelings got hurt when we realized he wasn't as good as we hoped and he wanted a better shot at seeing the field.

You want to check how many backup QBs transferred? I'm guessing quite a few. No one likes to sit the bench and now with the transfer portal, QBs are doing their best to find what they think is greener pastures. Another QB could see IU as the greener pasture because we are all youth at the moment and no experience.

Now you're just making s--t up to fit your narrative...

Tuttle, never made enough of an impression to be trusted as a full time starter over his entire time here and Blazek was by far the most self absorbed, look out for number one guy I've ever seen in an INDIANA uniform... Had either one stayed. neither would have started this fall, in my opinion... Blazek was addition by subtraction and Tuttle was just filling a backup slot that can be filled by any of the three or four guys we have here now...

What are you doing, trying to give BRCB a run for his money towards becoming G&B Illustrated man of the year??

Trevell Mullen is gone. That one shocked me.
He shouldn't come as a shock because other young corners were ahead of him and it didn't look like he was going to start this year. I wondered about why he was placed behind the others but I wasn't coaching; I trust coach Shelby to decide who is the best.

Reactions: ekk and 76-1
He shouldn't come as a shock because other young corners were ahead of him and it didn't look like he was going to start this year. I wondered about why he was placed behind the others but I wasn't coaching; I trust coach Shelby to decide who is the best.
He wasn’t physically ready to play yet. Good kid and someone with a great deal of potential, but he needs another year to get bigger. Sorry he’s leaving, but he wasn’t ready.

Reactions: midwolfe
I agree somewhat though most people knew that there was a talent infusion coming up from the freshman team that was going to be impactful. If you remember that season, though, you also know how razor thin the margin was between victory and defeat. We could’ve easily lost a few of the games we won, which would’ve obviously taken us in a different direction. We also saw how fragile success could be, as the ‘68 and ‘69 teams failed to duplicate the magic of ‘67. More than a few fans thought we’d be back in Pasadena two years later, and we couldn’t get there.

iirc we were ranked top 10 going into 69, and the black boycott blew everything up.

iirc we were ranked top 10 going into 69, and the black boycott blew everything up.
We were already struggling when the boycott hit. I think we were about .500, and we had been up and down all season. I still remember the opening home loss to Cal after we had beaten Kentucky badly down there. It was deflating. But we had a couple of good recruiting classes and the frosh teams were strong, so the future seemed bright. JP, for all of his strengths, wouldn’t bend, and it cost him and us dearly.

This proves 2 things about recruiting and rankings:
1. Trying to figure out if the player has hit his ceiling in HS versus potential growth/up side is what separates those coaches who can recruit and such.
2. Rankings are in the eye of the beholder.....

Tuttle, never made enough of an impression to be trusted as a full time starter over his entire time here and Blazek was by far the most self absorbed, look out for number one guy I've ever seen in an INDIANA uniform... Had either one stayed. neither would have started this fall, in my opinion... Blazek was addition by subtraction and Tuttle was just filling a backup slot that can be filled by any of the three or four guys we have here now...

What are you doing, trying to give BRCB a run for his money towards becoming G&B Illustrated man of the year??
Now, c’mon. I was always a big fan of Clipboard Jack.
And, for the record, I hate Purdue but I tip my cap to them for finding coaches like Brohm. That guy walked into a terrible situation and began beating Allen like a rented mule out of the gate.
They have no better personnel or facilities but they sure as hell get more out of them than our coach does. It’s all about coaching. We don’t have it.

And, for the record, I hate Purdue but I tip my cap to them for finding coaches like Brohm. That guy walked into a terrible situation and began beating Allen like a rented mule out of the gate.
They have no better personnel or facilities but they sure as hell get more out of them than our coach does. It’s all about coaching. We don’t have it.
We will see this season if the staff gets the coaching needed to win more games against a very tough schedule. You want to forget PU had an easier route to the Bucket Game and what injuries had impact on the games. Some much of the losing to Brohm had to do with bad assistant coaches that coach Allen listened to others about.

This proves 2 things about recruiting and rankings:
1. Trying to figure out if the player has hit his ceiling in HS versus potential growth/up side is what separates those coaches who can recruit and such.
2. Rankings are in the eye of the beholder.....

i wasn't on the team, but in school at IU at the time.

who wouldn't bend, or if or how much discrimination was even going on, will always be subject for debate.

outside agitators were prevalent at the time around the US, looking for couches to burn..

if or how much they were a presence in this i know not, and question if all involved would agree on that anyway.

one guy starts over another. one guy thinks coach treats him harder than another.

is it perception or racism at play?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
They may have found Brohm but they made a lot of bad hires until they found him. We’ll see how their latest hire does.

His name is “Bazelak”, not “Blazek”, and there was nothing self-absorbed about him. He was competitive and wanted to play, just like every other kid who wears an IU uniform. He took a ton of punishment last year and played his butt off, in spite of what couch coaches may think. Maybe you should learn a little about the players and what it takes to play college football before you rip any of them. Go Hoosiers.

76 couldn't agree more about your thoughts on CB. His departure vs. staying, working within offensive scheme changes and competing against younger QBs is selfish written in bold type. Damn good riddance!

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and Jackskip23
76 couldn't agree more about your thoughts on CB. His departure vs. staying, working within offensive scheme changes and competing against younger QBs is selfish written in bold type. Damn good riddance!
“Fans“ ripping players when they have zero idea what they go through to compete every week. So incredibly ignorant.

Reactions: jsenleo
“Fans“ ripping players when they have zero idea what they go through to compete every week. So incredibly ignorant.
As usual you are ignorantly and arrogantly attempting to talk down to damn near everybody on a 'blog'. As if it means something. I supported 76 so naturally you are correct. "I just want to talk IUFB". BULLSHIT. You can't unless you are the authority. On a ""blog""! Ha!

As usual you are ignorantly and arrogantly attempting to talk down to damn near everybody on a 'blog'. As if it means something. I supported 76 so naturally you are correct. "I just want to talk IUFB". BULLSHIT. You can't unless you are the authority. On a ""blog""! Ha!
No, I’m just not a fan of anyone who rips players when they have no understanding of what those guys go through. I’m sure you and I are in agreement on that.

Just ignore the guy...Most of us are aware of who he really is... Ordfan plus so many other alias I've lost count... One minute he's an IU fan, the next p u... He's not worthy of our time...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT