ADVERTISEMENT

South endzone project wasted money!

hammerman24

Benchwarmer
Mar 12, 2007
Why is this University planning to waste at least 20 million dollars on closing the south endzone? That money should be spent on hiring a Head Coach and staff before wasting it on 5000 more seats that will go unfilled.
We have the 12th highest paid HC and the lowest paid staff in the conference, You can't get players without having success and success needs to get paid! I may be angry after the blown promise of another season gone belly up but I say put the "South Endzone" project money in the pockets of a new coaching staff. Wins some games, go to some bowls then build the south endzone seats....and they won't be as empty as the north.

Why is this University planning to waste at least 20 million dollars on closing the south endzone? That money should be spent on hiring a Head Coach and staff before wasting it on 5000 more seats that will go unfilled.
We have the 12th highest paid HC and the lowest paid staff in the conference, You can't get players without having success and success needs to get paid! I may be angry after the blown promise of another season gone belly up but I say put the "South Endzone" project money in the pockets of a new coaching staff. Wins some games, go to some bowls then build the south endzone seats....and they won't be as empty as the north.

I completely agree. Put as much money into a coaching staff as possible. Heck, I bet if Glass had the foresight to insist CKW spend as much as necessary on a quality DC at the beginning we wouldn't be dealing with this mess today.
GO HOOSIERS!!!

Any new coach worth hiring will look at the SEZ project as a commitment to football. Leave it blank like it is now (it looks awful, as does the chaotic playground field) and that tells any new coach that you're satisfied with what you have. A new coach will need $2.5 to $3.0 million and a staff paid no worse than 7th among BiG schools. They'll also need continually developing facilities. Now is the time to push the accelerator down on such projects, not back off.

I disagree. The North End Zone is majestic. Doing the same with a tower in the South End Zone will make the stadium look like a coliseum. We have to think for the future. I think one of the reasons we've done better in recruiting is because our facilities have improved. I don't know about the financing for the South End Zone, but we have gotten private money for other improvements, such as to Assembly Hall. I also don't agree that throwing money at a coach is a guarantee of success. The only way that would work would be to hire someone like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, who would get five-star recruits based on their reputations and prior success.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
I say that IU should seriously begin looking at joining the Sun Belt or AAC (old Conference USA). I've thought this for years. Our school's athletic program is small time. We cannot hope to compete with big machines like Wisconsin, MSU, UM, OSU. We are a fish out of water in the Big Ten.

Well we won eight national titles in soccer and five in basketball, so I don't agree we don't belong in the Big Ten, of which we are an original member.

Well we won eight national titles in soccer and five in basketball, so I don't agree we don't belong in the Big Ten, of which we are an original member.

We're not an original member

We joined 2-3 years after the founding

I say that IU should seriously begin looking at joining the Sun Belt or AAC (old Conference USA). I've thought this for years. Our school's athletic program is small time. We cannot hope to compete with big machines like Wisconsin, MSU, UM, OSU. We are a fish out of water in the Big Ten.
You would be laughed out of any meeting of serious people who know anything about college sports if you made that recommendation. They would point to little Northwestern, small states Iowa and Wisconsin, heavily indebted Maryland, and any number of other examples to make their case that your proposal is ludicrous.

We compete with and regularly beat all those other conf schools in sports not called football. Hell, it took the rest of the conference 30 years to catch up to us in soccer...

You've been a dumbass for years apparently then.

Any new coach worth hiring will look at the SEZ project as a commitment to football. Leave it blank like it is now (it looks awful, as does the chaotic playground field) and that tells any new coach that you're satisfied with what you have. A new coach will need $2.5 to $3.0 million and a staff paid no worse than 7th among BiG schools. They'll also need continually developing facilities. Now is the time to push the accelerator down on such projects, not back off.
I think creating 5000 additional empty seats is not exactly filling in a blank for the program.

Please direct me to a plan that shows 5,000 more seats. I've not seen one and have only heard Glass say that the intention with the south end is to improve player development facilities and to maintain our current capacity. Our facilities have come a long way, but there is still room for significant improvement for player development and recruiting - the South endzone would be a big help to that no matter who is coach.

The project has precious little to do with seats and everything to do with creating a 360 degree experience for all athletes. It is a leadership position nationally for IU.

But that's not why it's being built. It's primary purpose is as an addition to the overall athletic infrastructure, not for an increase in stadium capacity.
I believe they also plan to move Hoosier Hundred room there and expand the locker room.

You've been a dumbass for years apparently then.

.....and you fail to recognize that IU is a mom and pop store competing with big corporations like Wisconsin, Michigan and we could very well be left out if conferences start aligning into super conferences. People say that is preposterous but how many of you thought 20 years ago that this conference would add Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland? People blather on about "academic alignment." That's not the way this is going. No way in hell would Utah have been considered for the Pac 12 until....walah! The football program got good.

The conference alliagances are completely in flux. IU doesn't belong with Michigan, OSU and Michigan State. IU has chump change compared to those schools. We also have a history of making poor decisions with coaches.

.....and you fail to recognize that IU is a mom and pop store competing with big corporations like Wisconsin, Michigan and we could very well be left out if conferences start aligning into super conferences. People say that is preposterous but how many of you thought 20 years ago that this conference would add Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland? People blather on about "academic alignment." That's not the way this is going. No way in hell would Utah have been considered for the Pac 12 until....walah! The football program got good.

The conference alliagances are completely in flux. IU doesn't belong with Michigan, OSU and Michigan State. IU has chump change compared to those schools. We also have a history of making poor decisions with coaches.
You're babbling. IU isn't leaving the Big Ten. I know you're terribly, terribly upset about a game you had nothing to do with, but you aren't making sense.

There's some merit to this argument, but what about basketball? IU basketball is a national, historic brand. As long as we are good in basketball, our place in the conference is secure. I also think this trend toward national conferences will recede, and we will go back to logical geographical conferences.

You're babbling. IU isn't leaving the Big Ten. I know you're terribly, terribly upset about a game you had nothing to do with, but you aren't making sense.

Why would IU in the new AAC not make sense?
If you are looking for these "basketball schools" everybody preaches, why align with OSU, MSU and Wisconsin when you are a better fit with teams like Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple?
The bottom line is our football program has zero hope in this conference. We are completely and utterly replaceable in the new Big Ten. Basketball is mid-level in the conference and was replaced 15 years ago by Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin. We have zero bargaining leverage left from our hardwood glory days and most of the conference could care less if we are a representative. We bring nothing now to the table....not when they could court a much more high profile football power. As the other OP said, we could be handed our walking papers one day....and one day we might just find our niche like Temple did when it was booted from the Big East.
It's coming for IU some day and the rest of the B1G could care less because they want a better football school in this conference. Or, IU could be left in the remnants of what was formerly the Big Ten when some conglomerate forms with power schools like Texas, OSU, Oklahoma, Alabama.

Last edited:
If you are looking for these "basketball schools" everybody preaches, why align with OSU, MSU and Wisconsin when you are a better fit with teams like Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple?
The bottom line is our football program has zero hope in this conference. We are completely and utterly replaceable in the conference. Basketball is mid-level in the conference and was replaced 15 years ago by Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin. We have zero bargaining leverage left from our glory days and most of the conference could care less if we are a representative. As the other OP said, we could be handed out walking papers one day....and one day we might just find out niche like Temple did when it was booted from the Big East.
It's coming for IU and the rest of the B1G could care less because they want a better football school.

Indiana is still the top draw in the conf in basketball. That won't change.

The bottom line is our football program has zero hope in this conference. We are completely and utterly replaceable in the conference. Basketball is mid-level in the conference and was replaced 15 years ago by Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin. We have zero bargaining leverage left from our glory days and most of the conference could care less if we are a representative. As the other OP said, we could be handed out walking papers one day....and one day we might just find out niche like Temple did when it was booted from the Big East.
It's coming for IU and the rest of the B1G could care less because they want a better football school.
You're upset because a game you had nothing to do with turned out badly. You look silly when you suggest IU should walk away from their decades long membership in the Big Ten, forfeiting millions of dollars annually that support many non-revenue sports that would either be drastically cut or eliminated altogether. It's never going to happen. You seem to have reached the end of your limited support of IU football. Why not walk away and find something more enjoyable rather than get so upset about a game you had no role in whatsoever?

Big Red is correct, Indiana just doesn't carry much punching power. Their bball program is a shell of its former self. Everything now days is football geared, people don't even watch or pay attention to bball until after the Super Bowl. Basketball has been a double edged sword for IU, it's only hurt football IMO.

I could easily see IU getting dropped from the conference if Note Dame and a better looking school came along.

There's some merit to this argument, but what about basketball? IU basketball is a national, historic brand. As long as we are good in basketball, our place in the conference is secure. I also think this trend toward national conferences will recede, and we will go back to logical geographical conferences.
The baseball team has also been good. Schwarber anyone?

Big Red is correct, Indiana just doesn't carry much punching power. Their bball program is a shell of its former self. Everything now days is football geared, people don't even watch or pay attention to bball until after the Super Bowl. Basketball has been a double edged sword for IU, it's only hurt football IMO.

I could easily see IU getting dropped from the conference if Note Dame and a better looking school came along.
Big Ten has been trying to get ND to join for years. Would be ok for football but they bring nothing else to the table.

Indiana is still the top draw in the conf in basketball. That won't change.

In what era?
Top draw? To our fans, yes. Outside of Bloomington, no.
If you are talking in terms of attendance, you are not correct:

"Four Big Ten teams finished in the top 10 of all-games attendance, paced by Big Ten champion and national runner-up Wisconsin, which finished second (711,115 fans) behind Kentucky (845,594), which was chasing a perfect season until the Badgers topped the Wildcats in the national semifinals. Michigan State finished No. 5 in total attendance (616,547), while Indiana came in at No. 9 (521,870) fans, and Ohio State rounded out the top 10 (507,711).

We are third in the conference. Not sure how that was "top draw."

You guys don't have a clue how conference affiliations work. There is more involved than athletics, especially in a historic conference such as ours. Members are legally enjoined. IU might choose to walk away some day- though that is extremely doubtful - but it won't be "kicked out" because its football program is terrible. I don't want to be disrespectful to you guys, but don't post on a topic in ignorance. Do a little homework on the legal structure of conferences before you babble nonsense.

You guys don't have a clue how conference affiliations work. There is more involved than athletics, especially in a historic conference such as ours. Members are legally enjoined. IU might choose to walk away some day- though that is extremely doubtful - but it won't be "kicked out" because its football program is terrible. I don't want to be disrespectful to you guys, but don't post on a topic in ignorance. Do a little homework on the legal structure of conferences before you babble nonsense.

Reactions: Kelper
Big Ten has been trying to get ND to join for years. Would be ok for football but they bring nothing else to the table.

You do realize that both Mike Brey and Tom Crean have been head coaches for about the same number of years starting in 1999 and Brey has more NCAA tournament appearances?
Notre Dame is a "football school" that just so happens to be a better basketball program than IU right now.
They are more attractive than IU.

You do realize that both Mike Brey and Tom Crean have been head coaches for about the same number of years starting in 1999 and Brey has more NCAA tournament appearances?
Notre Dame is a "football school" that just so happens to be a better basketball program than IU right now.
They are more attractive than IU.
Big deal...we had sanctions as our excuse....what's ND's excuse? General apathy for any sport other than football? Here's some history for you from BigTen.org:
*IU ranks 6th in the current Big Ten all time in total mens team national championships. Here' s the top 6:
1. MI 45
2. PSU 38
3. OSU 36
4. IA 27 (of course 23 in wrestling)
5. MSU 25
6. IU 24
*IU ranks 4th all time in mens individual national championships:
1. MI
2.OSU
3. IL
4. IN
Stop the nonsense about IU leaving the Big Ten...BTW ND has 21 mens team championships. If you take out the 11 football championships you don't have much. The ACC can keep them.

In what era?
Top draw? To our fans, yes. Outside of Bloomington, no.
If you are talking in terms of attendance, you are not correct:

"Four Big Ten teams finished in the top 10 of all-games attendance, paced by Big Ten champion and national runner-up Wisconsin, which finished second (711,115 fans) behind Kentucky (845,594), which was chasing a perfect season until the Badgers topped the Wildcats in the national semifinals. Michigan State finished No. 5 in total attendance (616,547), while Indiana came in at No. 9 (521,870) fans, and Ohio State rounded out the top 10 (507,711).

We are third in the conference. Not sure how that was "top draw."

There are a lot of criteria besides attendance. IU is sold out and could sell more. Indiana is still the marquee program in the league nationally. The depth of support, merchandise, clicks, facilities, ratings, etc is still among thetop six or seven. Wisky had a great year. Mich is the best team. IU the cornerstone program. Sometimes it is hard to see until you travel the way I do and see the bars that fill in almost all cities.

Take the blinders off, courtsense, Michigan State has been to at least 6 final fours, several championship games AND won it all in 2000...all of that success in the last 15 years!! No way in the world is IU above MSU as a program.

The 30, 40 and 50+ year old banners are rapidly collecting dust and losing much of their purchasing power in the world of "what have you done lately" sports. The only reason I'd give iu a fighting chance in this is because of their fan base...They do have a rabid fan base. But, one thing to consider is that successful schools like Michigan State have so much more football success that their fans simply can't and won't focus on basketball only....that's key here, IMO.

Reactions: 82hoosier

You do realize that IU has 20+ more sports and in the majority then we compete very well and you just don't make a change because we can't compete in football.

Reactions: Lujo1986

I watch a lot of college basketball games and I definitely watch college basketball before the super bowl

Take the blinders off, courtsense, Michigan State has been to at least 6 final fours, several championship games AND won it all in 2000...all of that success in the last 15 years!! No way in the world is IU above MSU as a program.

The 30, 40 and 50+ year old banners are rapidly collecting dust and losing much of their purchasing power in the world of "what have you done lately" sports. The only reason I'd give iu a fighting chance in this is because of their fan base...They do have a rabid fan base. But, one thing to consider is that successful schools like Michigan State have so much more football success that their fans simply can't and won't focus on basketball only....that's key here, IMO.

Team vs program

If they kicked teams out because of terrible football they would have thrown out NW and UW in the 70's and 80's because they were terrible. Some people just don't look at things very realistically and just look at things emotionally and don't think straight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT