ADVERTISEMENT

Some gossip

This never comes up in college, for obvious reasons. But maybe with the new dynamics at play with transfer portals, NIL, etc...???...what if TJD, Race, X, etc... whoever the key guys Woody wants to come back... what if they didn't like Fife and wanted him gone? Possible? Are we at that place yet with college ball? Its obviously prevalent in the NBA.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Agree, JG's task is handles and shooting. In college he can be a 3, if he has pro aspirations, he's a 2. He'd be wise to think that over or be stuck like TJD in a role that doesn't serve him well on display for the pro's
Yessir, he's got the physical tools to be an NBA player, just needs to work on some fundamentals to become a great college player.

You are famous they are quoting you over at Btown Banners!!
Posted 18 minutes ago
Some rumors floating around that the Cavenaugh guy posted on Rivals that he heard from a player that TJD, Race and XJ are coming back.

Not saying it is gospel, just passing it along.
Cavenaugh. Haven’t seen that one before. And I am Old Testament when it relates to gospel.

Reactions: bailey777
That assumes none of them improve.
It also assumes that they haven't hit their ceiling in current roles. I think all of them have probably graduated or will by mid year, maybe not X and he'd be the one I see maybe having not hit the ceiling. They come back and it averts a complete dumpster fire, but they are gonna need a lot of different backup to produce better results and that means throw the new guys to fire and hope

Gun to head, a player on last years team…. The Big 3 all return next year in Bloomington.
If only someone could have predicted this … I mean like over and over again for the past 3 months. If there was such a poster, he would certainly be lauded as brilliant! Would he not?

This never comes up in college, for obvious reasons. But maybe with the new dynamics at play with transfer portals, NIL, etc...???...what if TJD, Race, X, etc... whoever the key guys Woody wants to come back... what if they didn't like Fife and wanted him gone? Possible? Are we at that place yet with college ball? Its obviously prevalent in the NBA.
Yes, players threatening to transfer was rumored to be what lead to one coaches retirement.

So TJD will prob test the draft, but these guys are telling me that he can make more in NIL next year than the G league. So TJD is very much aware of what’s going on and no false narrative about getting drafted. Sounds like he will be back.

So TJD will prob test the draft, but these guys are telling me that he can make more in NIL next year than the G league. So TJD is very much aware of what’s going on and no false narrative about getting drafted. Sounds like he will be back.
NIL may turn out to be the savior of college basketball from the erosion of talent to the pros and the unlevel playing field of cheating programs.

NIL may turn out to be the savior of college basketball from the erosion of talent to the pros and the unlevel playing field of cheating programs.
NIL will make college basketball much more relevant. Other than diehards, no one gives a shit about college bball. NIL will only help the product going forward.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Seems like the consensus is coming around to him being a 2nd round pick somewhere?

Not doubting your sources, or what you're hearing...but he's gone if he has enough teams that have him as a solid 2nd round guy on their boards.

UNLESS...Woody has him convinced he will actually be used differently this year. Another year at IU, being used in the same way, only sets back what I'd imagine is still his primary goal, of sticking in the NBA. Otherwise, you go and remake yourself with the obvious physical talents and tools you have, with an NBA organization helping you along. G League may be less money than NIL...but its most likely the quickest path to real NBA contracts, for someone in TJD's situation. Again, unless Woody is going to completely change how he plays at IU.

NIL will make college basketball much more relevant. Other than diehards, no one gives a shit about college bball. NIL will only help the product going forward.
It could be that way. The NBA probably likes as they don't have to deal with a dump of players that averaged like 8 pts and they have to buy on potential and be forced to kick a solid veteran off. It also keeps college players that aren't ready in place and stabilizes things in college recruiting. There will be a bottle neck somewhere, and that will probably benefit JR colleges and G-League. I still don't like the portal though, that introduces massive instability. Just my 2 cents, get rid of the portal and NBA get rid of age restrictions, if you are good enough you should be able to go.

Reactions: Al Bino
Agree, JG's task is handles and shooting. In college he can be a 3, if he has pro aspirations, he's a 2. He'd be wise to think that over or be stuck like TJD in a role that doesn't serve him well on display for the pro's. It can be done, I don't think anybody had VO going #2 over CZ, but he worked on handle and that was all he had missing

in Woodson's system, the wings spend most of their time spreading the floor for the 5, and drive the ball if capable (see Galloway). Jordan is most effective near the rim, using his elite athleticism to get rebounds and putbacks. Our wings need to be two-dimensional scorers, and with JGs inability to drive the ball, his utility will be marginalized by playing alongside TJD and Race.

Also, he struggles to guard the perimeter and faster players. Unless he dramatically improves his weaknesses over the summer, I just don't see it. If Race comes back, I could see Woody trying to sell JG on becoming a 3, but...

I still think Race is done, so the point will probably be moot.

I am the opposite I could not give a crap about the NBA or the league as the players call it.

So does there have to be some sort of product to provide money under NIL or can you just funnel to the player directly? Apparently some hot shot recruit, I believe in football has been guaranteed 8 million dollars if he stay through his junior year. The player nor the school was identified.

So does there have to be some sort of product to provide money under NIL or can you just funnel to the player directly? Apparently some hot shot recruit, I believe in football has been guaranteed 8 million dollars if he stay through his junior year. The player nor the school was identified.
If anyone on this board would like to give money to any specific player, I will 100% guarantee it all goes to them. I will get them to give said person a shout out, signed T, whatever.

Reactions: bawlmer
It also assumes that they haven't hit their ceiling in current roles. I think all of them have probably graduated or will by mid year, maybe not X and he'd be the one I see maybe having not hit the ceiling. They come back and it averts a complete dumpster fire, but they are gonna need a lot of different backup to produce better results and that means throw the new guys to fire and hope
Of the three, I see RT being closest to his ceiling at the present. I could see him improve his perimeter shooting in what should be a wider open offense, but otherwise I think he is near his peak.

TJD‘s top level athleticism could allow him to add the 12-15 jumper to his game. Woody has alluded to the fact that TJD has shown he can shoot the elbow jumper but is so far reluctant to do so in games. He could also use the right hand more in a wider open offense.

XJ’s main area for improvement, IMO, is refining the mental aspects of his game. I can see where he might control his temperament better and improve his decision making over the course of next season. I wish his shooting form could be fixed within the next year, but he has lived with it to this point so I don’t see that happening.

Reactions: Al Bino
But JG can't guard a "3," nor put the ball on the floor.

What the......he was probably our best 3 defender but he was rarely utilized there. I think this is a crazy thing to say. ha

That's tough, who would you rather have on the roster, Race or the potential we saw from JG (for up to three more seasons)? Damn....
Geronimo hands down. Race was tired at the end of the season, although I’m sure that was from so many minutes. Geronimo was peaking.

Reactions: go_iu and jmix
TJD will get multiple 10-25k endorsement deals this summer. I bet he could make 250+ next year at IU. He is a celebrity.
To benchmark this,
the NBA rookie mimimum salary is projected to be $975,000

Two way G-league/NBA players make a $75,000 salary while playing in the G-League, and if they spend the maximum 45-day period in the NBA, can make an extra $204,000. They get less of a boost for fewer days spent with the big club

Straight G-league only player contracts (undrafted by the NBA) is a paltry 37K.

I think TJD would at least get a two-way contract as a second rounder and make somewhere between $75K and $279K, which is of course a big, big range.

To benchmark this,
the NBA rookie mimimum salary is projected to be $975,000

Two way G-league/NBA players make a $75,000 salary while playing in the G-League, and if they spend the maximum 45-day period in the NBA, can make an extra $204,000. They get less of a boost for fewer days spent with the big club

Straight G-league only player contracts (undrafted by the NBA) is a paltry 37K.

I think TJD would at least get a two-way contract as a second rounder and make somewhere between $75K and $279K, which is of course a big, big range.
He can make more than $75K just going out and getting a job.

Reactions: Bill4411
Out of all this thread….. I just want players that can shoot the ball outside of the paint area, and also make bunnies at the same time.

After watching the first 52 games of the Big Dance….. I’m really craving some 3 point shooters on our team. There was one guy on Colgates team…. That was hitting bombs from everywhere.
Who knows….. maybe it was his career game…. But the dude was on fire that one game.

Out of all this thread….. I just want players that can shoot the ball outside of the paint area, and also make bunnies at the same time.

After watching the first 52 games of the Big Dance….. I’m really craving some 3 point shooters on our team. There was one guy on Colgates team…. That was hitting bombs from everywhere.
Who knows….. maybe it was his career game…. But the dude was one that one game.
I would love a transfer or 3 from Murray State or the Peacocks. I think we get a HR scorer in the portal

XJ’s main area for improvement, IMO, is refining the mental aspects of his game. I can see where he might control his temperament better and improve his decision making over the course of next season. I wish his shooting form could be fixed within the next year, but he has lived with it to this point so I don’t see that happening.
I would add finishing at the rim in traffic and passing while driving. He can get by just about anyone. Now get more efficient. He still needs to read and react better to the defense adjusting on his drives. If he can add better mid-range shooting he'll have a nice career.

Reactions: larsIU
LOl i have not watched a full or even half of an NBA game is probably at least 7 or 8 years. Turned down free NBA tickets multiple times this year.
NBA games have become more fun to watch than most college games, just from a pure basketball standpoint.

Not a huge fan of the theatrics side of it. But just from a player movement, strategy, etc... I enjoy NBA game play as much, if not more, these days than I do college games.

This NCAA tournament, outside the obvious excitement of it being the NCAA tournament, has been unwatchable at times. The game, the officiating, its all just a mess.

What the......he was probably our best 3 defender but he was rarely utilized there. I think this is a crazy thing to say. ha
What game? He was awful in the NW game. If he guards the 3 we were in big trouble. He almost fouled out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT