ADVERTISEMENT

Softball News on the Baseball Forum

Why all the softball updates here?

• I wish there weren't. I only visit here for baseball news.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There’s no softball forum and they’re fun to watch.

My daughter played and I coached, so I really like the game.

Since the new stadium opened, I've thought it was a little smaller than was ideal, if we ever got any good. Maybe we'll have some capacity crowds as the weather heats up.

To anyone who's not seen a college softball game, there are several unique aspects about it compared to baseball that make it fun to watch. First, the umps move the game along a lot more than they do in baseball. Second, it's a 7 inning v. 9 inning game. Finally, the ball is bigger and easier to follow off the bat, and the action is much closer given that the ball is not hit as far. I'm not saying it's better than baseball to watch, just interesting & different.

Last year, I don't believe they charged an admission fee, and I'd always walk back and forth when both teams were playing.

One other thing........years ago the game was dominated by pitching and 1-0 and 2-1 years were quite common. Maybe 10(?) years ago they moved the mound back some, and the game is now nicely balanced between O & D. I've never checked, but I would guess that college softball teams probably average slightly more runs per inning than baseball teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT