ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

Discovered an old clip of @mcmurtry66 in his playing days

ru-paul-gay.gif

Just got back from SL City losing to a weak Mexican team. Very disappointing.
I’ll tell you they’ve only won 4 games all year so recently dumped the core and are bringing in all German players. Next year we will essentially be a bundesliga 2 team, which should be fascinating. I have no idea how mls compares to bundesliga 2. I would say mls is definitely below the English championship but again no clue re bundesliga 2

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Took my kid to Real Madrid vs AC Milan last week. Are "Friendlys" just another way of saying we are playing our B team? My kid didn't mind b/c Modric played at least, and that is his favorite. Never expected Mpabbe, but no Vin Jr or Bellingham? I guess Euros/Copa fvcked it up.
Crowd was great, packed Soldier field, basically a family event.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Took my kid to Real Madrid vs AC Milan last week. Are "Friendlys" just another way of saying we are playing our B team? My kid didn't mind b/c Modric played at least, and that is his favorite. Never expected Mpabbe, but no Vin Jr or Bellingham? I guess Euros/Copa fvcked it up.
Crowd was great, packed Soldier field, basically a family event.

Yes, unfortunately the top players rarely play from my experience.

Yea explain that to me? The supporters piece
So the us open cup is the oldest tourney in the us. It has survived every now defunct league and it’s tradition that you play. Stl City sc opted out. Total bs. Money money money. So a massive number of fans boycotted leagues cup. We have 20,000 on the season ticket waitlist. Every game is sold out and the entire lower bowl stands. Not just the supporters’ section. These games should be at least half empty in protest

So the us open cup is the oldest tourney in the us. It has survived every now defunct league and it’s tradition that you play. Stl City sc opted out. Total bs. Money money money. So a massive number of fans boycotted leagues cup. We have 20,000 on the season ticket waitlist. Every game is sold out and the entire lower bowl stands. Not just the supporters’ section. These games should be at least half empty in protest
How can you opt out of the US Open. Fantastic tourney and the equivalent of the FA cup--with one difference--the talent level between USL 1 and 2 and MLS isn't as wide as the premier league and lower divisions.

How can you opt out of the US Open. Fantastic tourney and the equivalent of the FA cup--with one difference--the talent level between USL 1 and 2 and MLS isn't as wide as the premier league and lower divisions.
Exactly. Oh we don’t get paid. We’ll opt out. To the fans’ credit they said great. We won’t show for the leagues’ cop. F off

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Milton
I want this to be true. It is so completely screwed up with the cheating and disguises that it would make perfect sense for it to be true.

"you thinking about me or jim"?

"Wanna Mel Tucker again"?

"Call me"
They guy who posted it has repeatedly insisted it is taken directly from the NCAA draft report and is therefore accurate. Supposedly the 52 text messages that the UM coach delated are similar to this rather than being NCAA violations. The whole thing is bizarre. But, I am still holding out hope that this will all result in Purdue being declared Big Ten champions in football for 2022. Now THAT would be hilarious.

Anybody else really impressed by the women's new manager? She's got a great job. Her tactics are so much better than the previous dummies, and she's managed to figure out that a lot of the old people had to go. I've enjoyed watching some of their games on replay.

Anybody else really impressed by the women's new manager? She's got a great job. Her tactics are so much better than the previous dummies, and she's managed to figure out that a lot of the old people had to go. I've enjoyed watching some of their games on replay.

barcelona-andres.gif

@mcmurtry66 just got home from the office and out with the dog for a walk, we usually walk by the high school every night. Not surprisingly, there's about 10 helicopter parents watching the boys soccer team practice. Evenly split between men and women. No Doubt making wonderful memories for the child, watching their Mom And Dad stand outside the fence and glare and yell instructions. A beautiful moment

• Love
The greatest midfield tandem in the history of the world. A hill I will die on over and over. Actually, we should also add Busquets as well. Slower than molasses and easily a top five smartest player of all time.
The dream team will be at the bottom of that hill protecting you with throwing stars, malfunctioning shotguns, and ARs illegally modified.

And yes in his prime Sergio is the triumvirate

@mcmurtry66 just got home from the office and out with the dog for a walk, we usually walk by the high school every night. Not surprisingly, there's about 10 helicopter parents watching the boys soccer team practice. Evenly split between men and women. No Doubt making wonderful memories for the child, watching their Mom And Dad stand outside the fence and glare and yell instructions. A beautiful moment
You’re provoking me to engage in another unhinged rant. I went to my buddy’s son’s game last year. First high school game I’d been to in ages. I whispered to my buddy. This is unwatchable. He goes yup. Club destroyed it. Academy restrictions killed it.

I will tell you that I don’t remember a single club game I played for either Busch or Gallagher. I remember at least a dozen high school games vividly. And the stands had 5x as many people for high school. Our friends!!! Teachers. Parents. Sad

• Love
You’re provoking me to engage in another unhinged rant. I went to my buddy’s son’s game last year. First high school game I’d been to in ages. I whispered to my buddy. This is unwatchable. He goes yup. Club destroyed it. Academy restrictions killed it.

I will tell you that I don’t remember a single club game I played for either Busch or Gallagher. I remember at least a dozen high school games vividly. And the stands had 5x as many people for high school. Our friends!!! Teachers. Parents. Sad
My oldest quit the Academy his senior to play high school and it was the most fun he ever had. Academy ruins so much for these kids

• Sad
My oldest quit the Academy his senior to play high school and it was the most fun he ever had. Academy ruins so much for these kids
You’d be shocked how many come out of the academy programs here and by the time college rolls around say F it and go to mizzou. They don’t even have a program

• Wow
Spain. Euros and Olympics
Crazy. Both my kids love the Lopez midfielder for Barca that is playing today . Not watching the game but apparently he scored twice.

HOW THE HELL DOES 300 YEAR OLD LACAZETTE PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS? I mean surely there must be someone who can actually run for France?

• Love
Crazy. Both my kids love the Lopez midfielder for Barca that is playing today . Not watching the game but apparently he scored twice.

HOW THE HELL DOES 300 YEAR OLD LACAZETTE PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS? I mean surely there must be someone who can actually run for France?
🤣🤣🤣 that is an old overage

• Haha

I spoke too soon!!

Pochettino leading candidate for US. That’s quite a fall for him

Seriously, it is a fall for him, and he should be coaching at a major club. Another Chelsea screw up (and Chelsea continues building an already bloated roster that no one is bailing them out on this year) (See Mount and Haveritz).

CLASS 3A​

In an effort to reach beyond the Indianapolis area, we’re going with a top 10 for 3A.

1. Noblesville (17-1-3, 3A state champion)​

Noblesville Millers celebrate defeating the Bloomington South Panthers on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, during the IHSAA girls soccer Class 3A state championship at Michael Carroll Track & Soccer Stadium in Indianapolis. The Noblesville Millers defeated the Bloomington South Panthers, 3-1.

Nearly everyone’s back for the reigning champions.

2. Hamilton Southeastern (13-2-3)​

Riley Boyd and Sloane May on the attack are must-see. Replacing Miss Soccer Hailey Wade in net will be a tall task.

3. Bloomington South (18-3-1, 3A state runner-up)​

The Panthers, who navigated a sneaky difficult road to state last year, graduated four, including forward Katharine Lacy (23 goals) and defender Zoe Kunzman (10 assists), but their list of returners includes starting goalkeeper Paloma Martineze Lebathe, who logged 10 shutouts as a freshman and forward/midfielder Valerie Bunde (18 goals, six assists) plus Helena Cutshall and Ellie Barada, both of whom made big contributions to the attack. The defense should have 2-3 players who appeared in 20-plus games.

Bloomington South and Martinsville will likely be the favorites coming out of Sectional 14.

4. Cathedral (15-5-2, 3A regional champion)​

Cathedral Fighting Irish players celebrate a goal Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, during the IHSAA Soccer City Championship at Bishop Chatard High School in Indianapolis. Cathedral Fighting Irish defeated the Bishop Chatard Trojans, 3-0.

The IHSAA apparently didn’t want to risk waiting until regionals for Cathedral vs. Carmel, so they stuck them in the same sectional. Yep, seems about right.

5. Carmel (17-1-3, 3A regional runner-up)​

The Greyhounds have a number of pieces to replace, but with Olivia Cebalo returning for her senior season, they remain a force to be reckoned with.

6. Westfield (10-3-5)​

New goalkeeper, but plenty of experienced seniors. Don’t lose track of the Rocks in Hamilton County.

7. Castle (16-2, 3A regional runner-up)​

Castle’s Jilly Higgins (11) takes a shot as the Castle Knights play the Harrison Warriors during the IHSAA Girls Soccer sectionals in Newburgh, Ind., Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023.

The Knights have a really strong returning core with Jilly Higgins, Ashlyn Francis and Izzie Ryan, who combined for 33 goals and 29 assists last season, plus the goalkeeping tandem of Maddie Greathouse and Jordyn Poelhius (combined five goals against). That’s a quality foundation for a group which should be battle-tested come tournament time with a schedule that includes Bloomington South (Aug. 24), Center Grove (Sept. 14), Evansville Memorial (Sept. 17) and Carmel (Sept. 21).

8. Homestead (12-4-1)​

The Spartans return their six leading scorers, a group led by Braylee Morris (16 goals), Madison Balf (10 goals) and Audrey Johnson (eight goals and 12 assists); the majority of their minutes played; and goalkeeper Lillian Yohey, who allowed 10 goals in 12 games, per MaxPreps. They won 12 games with a very young team and should remain on the upswing moving forward.

9. FW Carroll (16-3-2, 3A regional runner-up)​

Carroll Chargers Faithlyn Bennett (3) passes the ball during the IHSAA girls soccer regional game against the Harrison Raiders, Thursday, Oct. 12, 2023, at Harrison High School in West Lafayette, Ind. Carroll won 1-0.

The Chargers put quite the scare into Noblesville last year, taking the Millers to penalty kicks in the regional final. The road beyond sectional is treacherous, but they’re built for a similarly successful run in 2024 with Aleah Douglass (14 goals, seven assists), Faithlyn Bennett (10 goals, four assists), Brynn Patterson (five goals, eight assists) and Cecilia Yates (five goals, seven assists) all returning to an attack which averaged around four goals per game.

10. Evansville Memorial (16-7, 2A regional champion)​

Memorial’s Myla Browning (22) jumps for the stop as the Castle Knights play the Memorial Tigers in Newburgh, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2023.

The Tigers are back in the state’s largest classification, led by their four leading scorers from a year ago (Myla Browning, Abby Price, Caringtyn Sturgeon and Brynna Alpers), a couple established playmakers (Macray Peterson and Clara Collins) and their primary keeper, Emma Teague, who notched nine shutouts as a sophomore.

FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Get the IndyStar High School Sports newsletter in your inbox.
The latest news on Central Indiana high school sports and athletes.
Delivery: Weekly

Your Email

One to watch: Leo (15-3-3, 2A runner-up) — The Lions will be replacing their two leading scorers and both goalkeepers in their debut with the state’s largest classification, but senior Zoey Sturm, juniors Madison Schwalm, Alex Gates and Emma Swygart, and sophomores Finnley Crawford and Taylor Messmann all gained valuable experience amidst last year’s run to the 2A final.

Another to watch: FW Northrop (15-3-1, 3A sectional champion) — It’s not the worst thing when you can replace a 41-goal scorer with a 21-goal scorer like Northrop’s able to do with junior Nury Sibri-Carmona coming off a 21-goal, 12-assist campaign. She’ll be aided by sophomore Violeta Fuentes, who marked her debut season with eight goals and a team-high 13 assists, and senior Sabrina Quintana (eight assists). The big tests come later in the year with FW Carroll on Sept. 19, then Homestead and Leo to close out the regular season.

CLASS 3A​

In an effort to reach beyond the Indianapolis area, we’re going with a top 10 for 3A.

1. Noblesville (17-1-3, 3A state champion)​

Noblesville Millers celebrate defeating the Bloomington South Panthers on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, during the IHSAA girls soccer Class 3A state championship at Michael Carroll Track & Soccer Stadium in Indianapolis. The Noblesville Millers defeated the Bloomington South Panthers, 3-1.

Nearly everyone’s back for the reigning champions.

2. Hamilton Southeastern (13-2-3)​

Riley Boyd and Sloane May on the attack are must-see. Replacing Miss Soccer Hailey Wade in net will be a tall task.

3. Bloomington South (18-3-1, 3A state runner-up)​

The Panthers, who navigated a sneaky difficult road to state last year, graduated four, including forward Katharine Lacy (23 goals) and defender Zoe Kunzman (10 assists), but their list of returners includes starting goalkeeper Paloma Martineze Lebathe, who logged 10 shutouts as a freshman and forward/midfielder Valerie Bunde (18 goals, six assists) plus Helena Cutshall and Ellie Barada, both of whom made big contributions to the attack. The defense should have 2-3 players who appeared in 20-plus games.

Bloomington South and Martinsville will likely be the favorites coming out of Sectional 14.

4. Cathedral (15-5-2, 3A regional champion)​

Cathedral Fighting Irish players celebrate a goal Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, during the IHSAA Soccer City Championship at Bishop Chatard High School in Indianapolis. Cathedral Fighting Irish defeated the Bishop Chatard Trojans, 3-0.

The IHSAA apparently didn’t want to risk waiting until regionals for Cathedral vs. Carmel, so they stuck them in the same sectional. Yep, seems about right.

5. Carmel (17-1-3, 3A regional runner-up)​

The Greyhounds have a number of pieces to replace, but with Olivia Cebalo returning for her senior season, they remain a force to be reckoned with.

6. Westfield (10-3-5)​

New goalkeeper, but plenty of experienced seniors. Don’t lose track of the Rocks in Hamilton County.

7. Castle (16-2, 3A regional runner-up)​

Castle’s Jilly Higgins (11) takes a shot as the Castle Knights play the Harrison Warriors during the IHSAA Girls Soccer sectionals in Newburgh, Ind., Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023.

The Knights have a really strong returning core with Jilly Higgins, Ashlyn Francis and Izzie Ryan, who combined for 33 goals and 29 assists last season, plus the goalkeeping tandem of Maddie Greathouse and Jordyn Poelhius (combined five goals against). That’s a quality foundation for a group which should be battle-tested come tournament time with a schedule that includes Bloomington South (Aug. 24), Center Grove (Sept. 14), Evansville Memorial (Sept. 17) and Carmel (Sept. 21).

8. Homestead (12-4-1)​

The Spartans return their six leading scorers, a group led by Braylee Morris (16 goals), Madison Balf (10 goals) and Audrey Johnson (eight goals and 12 assists); the majority of their minutes played; and goalkeeper Lillian Yohey, who allowed 10 goals in 12 games, per MaxPreps. They won 12 games with a very young team and should remain on the upswing moving forward.

9. FW Carroll (16-3-2, 3A regional runner-up)​

Carroll Chargers Faithlyn Bennett (3) passes the ball during the IHSAA girls soccer regional game against the Harrison Raiders, Thursday, Oct. 12, 2023, at Harrison High School in West Lafayette, Ind. Carroll won 1-0.

The Chargers put quite the scare into Noblesville last year, taking the Millers to penalty kicks in the regional final. The road beyond sectional is treacherous, but they’re built for a similarly successful run in 2024 with Aleah Douglass (14 goals, seven assists), Faithlyn Bennett (10 goals, four assists), Brynn Patterson (five goals, eight assists) and Cecilia Yates (five goals, seven assists) all returning to an attack which averaged around four goals per game.

10. Evansville Memorial (16-7, 2A regional champion)​

Memorial’s Myla Browning (22) jumps for the stop as the Castle Knights play the Memorial Tigers in Newburgh, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2023.

The Tigers are back in the state’s largest classification, led by their four leading scorers from a year ago (Myla Browning, Abby Price, Caringtyn Sturgeon and Brynna Alpers), a couple established playmakers (Macray Peterson and Clara Collins) and their primary keeper, Emma Teague, who notched nine shutouts as a sophomore.

FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Get the IndyStar High School Sports newsletter in your inbox.
The latest news on Central Indiana high school sports and athletes.
Delivery: Weekly

Your Email

One to watch: Leo (15-3-3, 2A runner-up) — The Lions will be replacing their two leading scorers and both goalkeepers in their debut with the state’s largest classification, but senior Zoey Sturm, juniors Madison Schwalm, Alex Gates and Emma Swygart, and sophomores Finnley Crawford and Taylor Messmann all gained valuable experience amidst last year’s run to the 2A final.

Another to watch: FW Northrop (15-3-1, 3A sectional champion) — It’s not the worst thing when you can replace a 41-goal scorer with a 21-goal scorer like Northrop’s able to do with junior Nury Sibri-Carmona coming off a 21-goal, 12-assist campaign. She’ll be aided by sophomore Violeta Fuentes, who marked her debut season with eight goals and a team-high 13 assists, and senior Sabrina Quintana (eight assists). The big tests come later in the year with FW Carroll on Sept. 19, then Homestead and Leo to close out the regular season.
17-1-3 with everybody back... geesh.

Seriously, it is a fall for him, and he should be coaching at a major club. Another Chelsea screw up (and Chelsea continues building an already bloated roster that no one is bailing them out on this year) (See Mount and Haveritz).
Now griezman is joining giroud in la for mls. League needs to address this in some fashion. Zero equity

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT