ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

Any thoughts on the Spain-England game?

My thoughts:

1. England was slow at all attacking positions. Kane simply cannot play internationally anymore unless he is surrounding by wingers who can run. England's squad doesn't have it. Foden is quick not fast and he's really more of a 10. Saka isn't slow but he isn't fast. He's clever and he's awesome cutting inside--not awesome beating guys out wide. Kane was the least impactful player on the field in ANY England game.
2. Mainoo, Rice and Bellingham are a great midfield trio.
3. Losing Walker at RB will be a problem for England--he's the only guy they have that can run
4. Southgate too beholden to superstars. Kane should have sat, and honestly, Bellingham walked the last 15-20 minutes of the game--just out of gas. He needed to come off.
5. England can never be Spain. Youth infrastructure isn't there. I'm reminded by Pep's genius quote many years ago when he talked about Jack Wilshere (who I loved), Pep said "he is a good player, but in spain, we have 100 Jack Wilsheres". It seemed like that was an offensive comment at the time, but in reality, Pep 100% right.
6. Rashford should have been on the squad--if nothing else for his pace and ability to play 2 out of the 3 front line positions. The geometry with a slow front line like England is bad. Teams don't have to worry about defending the wider areas as much and can make it miserable to play in the box. Kane can only function if he has space to turn. Outside of that, a salty @DANC would be a better striker.
7. Playing with 2 holding midfielders when you have more talent than all but 2 teams is chicken football.
8. Southgate apparently didn't bother watching film of Declan Rice and how Arteta uses "total football" concepts with his midfield. Rice needed to play higher.
9. Rodri is about the most dominant 6 that I have seen. Effortless control of the tempo and possession. Never makes mistakes. Great vision and knowledge of the events on the field. A pleasure to watch.
10. The 16 year old kid is a special, special player.
Even a salty DANC would be no better than another goal post.

Hang on--have some breaking news that just came. Harry Kane played the whole tournament with a torn labia. what a trooper
Damn, that sounds painful.

I guess I should have been a little more sympathetic to some of those IU girls.....

Any thoughts on the Spain-England game?

My thoughts:

1. England was slow at all attacking positions. Kane simply cannot play internationally anymore unless he is surrounding by wingers who can run. England's squad doesn't have it. Foden is quick not fast and he's really more of a 10. Saka isn't slow but he isn't fast. He's clever and he's awesome cutting inside--not awesome beating guys out wide. Kane was the least impactful player on the field in ANY England game.
2. Mainoo, Rice and Bellingham are a great midfield trio.
3. Losing Walker at RB will be a problem for England--he's the only guy they have that can run
4. Southgate too beholden to superstars. Kane should have sat, and honestly, Bellingham walked the last 15-20 minutes of the game--just out of gas. He needed to come off.
5. England can never be Spain. Youth infrastructure isn't there. I'm reminded by Pep's genius quote many years ago when he talked about Jack Wilshere (who I loved), Pep said "he is a good player, but in spain, we have 100 Jack Wilsheres". It seemed like that was an offensive comment at the time, but in reality, Pep 100% right.
6. Rashford should have been on the squad--if nothing else for his pace and ability to play 2 out of the 3 front line positions. The geometry with a slow front line like England is bad. Teams don't have to worry about defending the wider areas as much and can make it miserable to play in the box. Kane can only function if he has space to turn. Outside of that, a salty @DANC would be a better striker.
7. Playing with 2 holding midfielders when you have more talent than all but 2 teams is chicken football.
8. Southgate apparently didn't bother watching film of Declan Rice and how Arteta uses "total football" concepts with his midfield. Rice needed to play higher.
9. Rodri is about the most dominant 6 that I have seen. Effortless control of the tempo and possession. Never makes mistakes. Great vision and knowledge of the events on the field. A pleasure to watch.
10. The 16 year old kid is a special, special player.

Bellingham is really f'in good.

Kane is really boring - such a typical British striker - doesn't do anything else, doesn't stretch the backline, mediocre at opening things up on the counter - just puts in goals when they come to him. Give me Ollie Watkins over Kane every day at this stage.

Nico Williams was a nightmare for defenders. Yamal is pretty talented and deserves some of the hype - just couldn't quite finish. Rodri, Olmo and Ruiz were so steady all tournament. Just frustrated the other teams to death.

Carvajal is no youngen, but some of his passes were world class. I believe he had assists in the last couple of games and some of them were weighted perfectly.

• Love
Reactions: Mark Milton
Kid has a pronounced adam’s apple already. My daughter and her best bud spent the night last night. I took them to sbx this am and they said they think they’d like to play soccer this fall. They’ll be 14. She runs a 16 minute mile and her friend fell into a pond last night and had to be rescued.

I said no. Too old. Already went down that path. If you two want to try tennis lessons I’ll do that

Kid has a pronounced adam’s apple already. My daughter and her best bud spent the night last night. I took them to sbx this am and they said they think they’d like to play soccer this fall. They’ll be 14. She runs a 16 minute mile and her friend fell into a pond last night and had to be rescued.

I said no. Too old. Already went down that path. If you two want to try tennis lessons I’ll do that
A 16 minute mile. Hmmmm.

Have you looked into 4H?

A 16 minute mile. Hmmmm.

Have you looked into 4H?
@Mark Milton having been through the club scene you’ll appreciate her club career. Take her up to Scott Gallagher. They roll out the red carpet for her. After two years my buddy comes out and says hey Mcm let’s go for a walk. The Walk.
Short version - she’ll be a “classic” player at best. Don’t waste the money. Got it. Good friend. Call my buddy who owns a club next level down. Hey Xxx crapped out at Gallagher. You got a team for her?
Of course!!
Great who is her coach?
You’ll coach. And try and bring five or six girls too

If that ain’t bottom of the barrel club life I don’t know what is

Last edited:
@Mark Milton having been through the club scene you’ll appreciate her club career. Take her up to Scott Gallagher. They roll out the red carpet for her. After two years my buddy comes out and says hey Mcm let’s go for a walk. The Walk.
Short version - she’ll be a “classic” player at best. Don’t waste the money. Got it. Good friend. Call my buddy who owns a club next level down. Hey Xxx crapped out at Gallagher. You got a team for her?
Of course!!
Great who is her coach?
You’ll coach. And try and bring five or six girls too

If that ain’t bottom of the barrel club life I don’t know what is
You are good dad though.

speaking of fc cincy and no offense to them but acosta really doesn't belong on that team or in mls for that matter. i have the all star game on in the background that he's playing in and he's absolutely ridiculous. he is sooooooooooooo good. his distribution is perfect. not mls quality at all. he should be playing in spain. he's going to look back one day and wonder what if

Wrecked by Monaco is not good.
8z34wu.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT