ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

So I was watching the game in Spanish (not available in English on Youtube TV), but had to leave around the 63rd minute. Young Boys was in control and just hit the post to make it 3-nil. I came back after and was like wtf. Wild finish, so many good chances for both teams in that game. Unlucky hand ball.

But fvck the Turks. Future Iran.
It’s crazy how long champions lasts!!!

Have an English league 2 game on in the background. Notts co. Jesus makes you realize how good Var is. First goal the guy was at least two yards offside. No call. Second goal was almost comical it was such a clear handball. Nothin. Like our Sunday league with no refs

Might as well give them beers to drink and heaters to smoke while they play

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Have an English league 2 game on in the background. Notts co. Jesus makes you realize how good Var is. First goal the guy was at least two yards offside. No call. Second goal was almost comical it was such a clear handball. Nothin. Like our Sunday league with no refs

Leverkusen back at it. What a match. Crazy number of close goals by both sides. Some great work, lots of sloppy play, great stuff.

• Love
How are you not there?
I’m out of town. I will say that it’s great in a sense bc there are so many iu alums (especially from the 80s from here) but it’s a little bit of a double edged sword. IU has carried on winning. Slu has not. Kalish at Slu is an old Gallagher guy and losing those kids to iu isn’t doing the Slu program any favors. As I said MO state is the better program today. Slu can’t afford to lose any Stl players at this point. These soccer alum events are like local advertising for iu

Last edited:
I’m out of town. I will say that it’s great in a sense bc there are so many iu alums (especially from the 80s from here) but it’s a little bit of a double edged sword. IU has carried on winning. Slu has not. Kalish at Slu is an old Gallagher guy and losing those kids to iu isn’t doing the Slu program any favors. As I said MO state is the better program today. Slu can’t afford to lose any Stl players at this point. These soccer alum events are like local advertising for iu
One word...

Tootsies.

• Love
Well, they just kicked our ass tonight. We were putrid.

rewatched some of yesterday’s- god Everton is so bad. Pickford got a taste of his own comments.

Gunners are good, but back line needs major work. Raya saved their asses.

CP had a few chances but Bowen is such a menace.

Lastly, @lars, how much trouble is ManU in? Ohana looked lost, bHA had tons of good looks. No way they finish top half IMO. League is too good.

rewatched some of yesterday’s- god Everton is so bad. Pickford got a taste of his own comments.

Gunners are good, but back line needs major work. Raya saved their asses.

CP had a few chances but Bowen is such a menace.

Lastly, @lars, how much trouble is ManU in? Ohana looked lost, bHA had tons of good looks. No way they finish top half IMO. League is too good.
It wasn't the gunners back 4 that was the problem it was the midfield that was that was the problem. Thomas Partey is too slow he is a turnover machine (Arteta doesn't want the destroy 6, he wants the Busquets 6), Rice isn't playing the 6 anymore, and Odeguard is not fleet of foot either (nor is Rice). Timber and the new kid are going to be really good, but Timber is likely to be pushed to midfield and he could easily transition to the 6.

Arsenal relies upon possession and they push and push and they are going to get caught. They got lucky against Villa. Kudos to Villa though--that is a damn fine squad and Emery can coach--Arsenal totally screwed him over during the transition period, with Mehmet Ozil being a major issue with not a ton of talent around the club. 78 mil for Pepe was was the equivalent of paying Mas-a-Suta 78 mil for community outreach speaking engagements.

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
It wasn't the gunners back 4 that was the problem it was the midfield that was that was the problem. Thomas Partey is too slow he is a turnover machine (Arteta doesn't want the destroy 6, he wants the Busquets 6), Rice isn't playing the 6 anymore, and Odeguard is not fleet of foot either (nor is Rice). Timber and the new kid are going to be really good, but Timber is likely to be pushed to midfield and he could easily transition to the 6.

Arsenal relies upon possession and they push and push and they are going to get caught. They got lucky against Villa. Kudos to Villa though--that is a damn fine squad and Emery can coach--Arsenal totally screwed him over during the transition period, with Mehmet Ozil being a major issue with not a ton of talent around the club. 78 mil for Pepe was was the equivalent of paying Mas-a-Suta 78 mil for community outreach speaking engagements.
So I’ve watched our new bundesliga 2 acquisitions. Two full games. They are definitely more polished than your average mls player. Not as good as the higher dollar acquisitions and a far cry from the Reus giroud type marquee signings but definitely in that upper third maybe quarter

So I’ve watched our new bundesliga 2 acquisitions. Two full games. They are definitely more polished than your average mls player. Not as good as the higher dollar acquisitions and a far cry from the Reus giroud type marquee signings but definitely in that upper third maybe quarter
That doesn't surprise me. Better on the ball for sure and far more spatial awareness with movement off the ball. This is something that baffles me. The difference between the US and European or say Argentina or Brazil, isn't that those players on the foreign sides are better athletes, but they have such better touch, more confident on the ball, and have a keen awareness for movement off the ball.

Meanwhile, Little Johnny and Little Susie are told from an early age "don't dribble so much, pass it!".

My boys had a coach at U8 who was the drizzling shits. Former MISL player and one time call up to the US national team, and he wouldn't tolerate anyone dribbling. playing 6 v 6 there's no offsides and so he would keep one kid down by the other team's goalie regardless of whether we were defending. "Why you doing that coach"? Cause we want to win. "Not like that we don't"......

That doesn't surprise me. Better on the ball for sure and far more spatial awareness with movement off the ball. This is something that baffles me. The difference between the US and European or say Argentina or Brazil, isn't that those players on the foreign sides are better athletes, but they have such better touch, more confident on the ball, and have a keen awareness for movement off the ball.

Meanwhile, Little Johnny and Little Susie are told from an early age "don't dribble so much, pass it!".

My boys had a coach at U8 who was the drizzling shits. Former MISL player and one time call up to the US national team, and he wouldn't tolerate anyone dribbling. playing 6 v 6 there's no offsides and so he would keep one kid down by the other team's goalie regardless of whether we were defending. "Why you doing that coach"? Cause we want to win. "Not like that we don't"......
Jesus you’d think anyone who played misl would appreciate dribbling.

Concur on all fronts

Reactions: Mark Milton

I mean let’s not forget. This was the league of Stan the pizza man stamenkovic.

Jesus you’d think anyone who played misl would appreciate dribbling.

The pinnacle of soccer video games...

major_indoor_soccer_league_05.png

major_indoor_soccer_league_01.png

Help is on the way Mark

Help is on the way Mark

We need a winger or striker. Merino is a great start and I LOVE the kid from Italy, but we are going to burn out Saka in short order if we don't add a winger or a dual striker/winger guy.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
The Atari and the pac man that was released for it. I can't believe my brother and I played this game until are thumbs bled because we used the highly toxic and cutting atari controllers

963.png

• Haha
The Atari and the pac man that was released for it. I can't believe my brother and I played this game until are thumbs bled because we used the highly toxic and cutting atari controllers

963.png
The history channel has entertaining shows on the genesis of companies in all the various industries. Video games is fascinating. You must be in your early 50s as well. The big leap my friends and I experienced was the jump from Atari to intellivision. The controller looked like a calculator and slid in an insert based on the game

46 years ago yesterday in 1977 the ny cosmos beat the Seattle soundsrs to win the NASL championship. Pele’s last game here

What a long bumpy ride it’s been to where we are today.

Reactions: larsIU
46 years ago yesterday in 1977 the ny cosmos beat the Seattle soundsrs to win the NASL championship. Pele’s last game here

What a long bumpy ride it’s been to where we are today.
The second greatest nickname in all of sports-- "the Cosmos" next to Coventry City's "The Sky Blues"

MLS isn't nearly as sexy as NASL. Messi is always amazing to watch but to the general public, he isn't the draw that Pele was-- at least in the US. Messi is probably second. Nevertheless, we are getting older guys at the end of their career. US soccer has improved undoubtedly--better players as a whole, which means our average guys are better than they were 46 years ago, but as @mcmurtry66 points out, the Bundesliga 2 players are still better than US MLS players.

Is MLS a better league than NASL was at its peak? Not sure. Longer lasting because of faux salary caps, but......playing coast to coast is stupid. If you are going to do coast to coast, set up divisions like the american and national leagues but do it by geography

Last edited:
The second greatest nickname in all of sports-- "the Cosmos" next to Coventry City's "The Sky Blues"

MLS isn't nearly as sexy as NASL. Messi is always amazing to watch but to the general public, he isn't the draw that Pele was-- at least in the US. Messi is probably second. Nevertheless, we are getting older guys at the end of their career. US soccer has improved undoubtedly--better players as a whole, which means are average guys are better than they were 46 years ago, but as @mcmurtry66 points out, the Bundesliga 2 players are still better than US MLS players.

Is MLS a better league than NASL was at its peak? Not sure. Longer lasting because of faux salary caps, but......playing coast to coast is stupid. If you are going to do set up coast to coast, set up divisions like the american and national leagues but do it by geography
Good stuff. I actually know a lot of guys who played nasl. It’s going to sound ridiculous but they are the dads of many of my friends and teammates. Americans. I will say that they are not nearly as technical as our generation. I want to say mls is better.

I agree with your post I think the one major advantage today at the pro level that we’ve never had before is soccer specific stadiums. Oh and a tv deal. But these stadiums are so important.

I went through mls combines. This is no bullshit one of the days was at Dublin high school. A high school! I have friends who played for the Miami fusion and I got invited to a trial. They had bleachers in an old multi use stadium in Fort Lauderdale that had football lines and shit.

The infrastructure makes a big difference. Now imagine if they get rid of the salary rules! We could get players in their prime and compete with maybe Portugal league etc

MLS isn't nearly as sexy as NASL. Messi is always amazing to watch but to the general public, he isn't the draw that Pele was-- at least in the US. Messi is probably second. Nevertheless, we are getting older guys at the end of their career. US soccer has improved undoubtedly--better players as a whole, which means are average guys are better than they were 46 years ago, but as @mcmurtry66 points out, the Bundesliga 2 players are still better than US MLS players.

Is MLS a better league than NASL was at its peak? Not sure. Longer lasting because of faux salary caps, but......playing coast to coast is stupid. If you are going to do set up coast to coast, set up divisions like the american and national leagues but do it by geography
Name and logo. Perfection.

Good stuff. I actually know a lot of guys who played nasl. It’s going to sound ridiculous but they are the dads of many of my friends and teammates. Americans. I will say that they are not nearly as technical as our generation. I want to say mls is better.

I agree with your post I think the one major advantage today at the pro level that we’ve never had before is soccer specific stadiums. Oh and a tv deal. But these stadiums are so important.

I went through mls combines. This is no bullshit one of the days was at Dublin high school. A high school! I have friends who played for the Miami fusion and I got invited to a trial. They had bleachers in an old multi use stadium in Fort Lauderdale that had football lines and shit.

The infrastructure makes a big difference. Now imagine if they get rid of the salary rules! We could get players in their prime and compete with maybe Portugal league etc
Had to fix my post-- I wrote like a goddman infant.

• Haha

The stadiums are key. I don't see how a team like Louisville can be shut out for much longer given their setup.

BUT, like in STL, Houston, Cincy, etc/...they HAVE to be downtown. Frisco (TX) was an early soccer specific, but it's almost too far out in the suburbs. Target the younger, hipster crowds living downtown, rather than the suburban soccer families. Families will travel downtown for games. 20-sonmething hipsters ain't driving out to Frisco, or Noblesville, or...St Charles or whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT