ADVERTISEMENT

So this is interesting for those of us that actually care about IU football......

Does IU have a legit shot at this guy? Can’t read the article, but saw a mention of Penix in the comments.

Does IU have a legit shot at this guy? Can’t read the article, but saw a mention of Penix in the comments.
There is apparently some mutual interest between WR DaQon Green , a Florida Gator transfer, and IU. He is a former teammate of Micheal Penix in HS, Green was a 4* out of HS with an impressive offer list. A source close to Green says he is headed to IU.

There is apparently some mutual interest between WR DaQon Green , a Florida Gator transfer, and IU. He is a former teammate of Micheal Penix in HS, Green was a 4* out of HS with an impressive offer list. A source close to Green says he is headed to IU.
Was he a freshman last year so will he have 3 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: 76-1
Was he a freshman last year so will he have 3 years of eligibility left.
Played in 2017 and 2018, but only played in 3 games this year , so is eligible for redshirt under the new rule. He has 3 years of eligibility left. I guess one caveat, he would have to receive immediate eligibility or his 5 year clock would only allow 2 years ( if he had to sit out a year)

Signed in 2017
2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 are his 5 seasons to play 4.

Played in 2017
Played 3 games in 2018
2018 is his redshirt year

If he transfers he must sit out 2019 absent a waiver.
Could play 2020 and 2021.

But I could be wrong

How likely do you think this source is correct? What would make that source believe he would be coming here other than a former teammate of Penix?

Another note in that thread is the disclosure that Marc Richt is retiring at The U.

I'm kinda wondering what all of this activity with Florida football programs is going to do with CTA's Florida pipeline. Frost is gone at UCF, but they had a heckuva year this year anyway, which means both Nebraska and UCF will have good contacts in Florida. Mullen has UF cranking up again, which could drive instate talent there. And you have Taggert trying to revive FSU and now The U has a new coach . . .

. . . lots of moving parts down there. Might be that some of those tarnished programs in Florida that looked old and uninteresting are starting to look like shiny objects to the some of the talent there . . . .

Another note in that thread is the disclosure that Marc Richt is retiring at The U.

I'm kinda wondering what all of this activity with Florida football programs is going to do with CTA's Florida pipeline. Frost is gone at UCF, but they had a heckuva year this year anyway, which means both Nebraska and UCF will have good contacts in Florida. Mullen has UF cranking up again, which could drive instate talent there. And you have Taggert trying to revive FSU and now The U has a new coach . . .

. . . lots of moving parts down there. Might be that some of those tarnished programs in Florida that looked old and uninteresting are starting to look like shiny objects to the some of the talent there . . . .
Or....it could look so dysfunctional to come recruits that they wouldn't want to stay in state for any of those programs. Could be a two way situation depending how the recruits look at it.

Or....it could look so dysfunctional to come recruits that they wouldn't want to stay in state for any of those programs. Could be a two way situation depending how the recruits look at it.
I guess . . . it depends on how each of those programs is doing on the field . . .

. . . gotta believe that BiG money is helping make a difference in IU being an attractive destination. That said, if Mullen gets it going, UCF remains a 9-3 or better program, and either FSU or Miami gets back to prominence, then Florida kids might be tempted to play within a 4 hour drive from momma's place.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
I guess . . . it depends on how each of those programs is doing on the field . . .

. . . gotta believe that BiG money is helping make a difference in IU being an attractive destination. That said, if Mullen gets it going, UCF remains a 9-3 or better program, and either FSU or Miami gets back to prominence, then Florida kids might be tempted to play within a 4 hour drive from momma's place.

Yes, but ...

I think Taggart probably doesn’t stick at FSU. They demand winning NOW and he didn’t, and if he just tries to recruit and build, their fans will revolt.

Miami may never get it back. They’re one of them private academic schools who only won when they lowered their standards, then cheated like hell after it faded the first time, and now go through coaches like Indiana, expecting lightning in a bottle with every hire and getting lightning bugs instead.

UCF is still on the outside looking in.

UF could go either way too.

Clemson and Bama have made the SEC and ACC a lot less fun for everybody not named them. (Hell, Auburn went 3-5 in the SEC and might have gone 9-0 in the Big Ten West! Who wants to put together that good a team and still lose that much? The times they might be changing.)

PS - had to drive though Atlanta Thursday and again Saturday. (Daughters beau proposed on the beach Friday night and we had to be there for the post-proposal surprise party. Longer story about dog necessitating a drive not told here.) Traffic north and south of the city made me want to kill things. Turned a 12 hour drive into 16 on the way down. Crafted a detour to make it back in 13 and a half. Probably couldn’t stop for donuts anyway, but the traffic assured it. May have assured I never drive to/through Atlanta again! I blame you.)

Yes, but ...

I think Taggart probably doesn’t stick at FSU. They demand winning NOW and he didn’t, and if he just tries to recruit and build, their fans will revolt.

Miami may never get it back. They’re one of them private academic schools who only won when they lowered their standards, then cheated like hell after it faded the first time, and now go through coaches like Indiana, expecting lightning in a bottle with every hire and getting lightning bugs instead.

Clemson and Bama have made the SEC and ACC a lot less fun for everybody not named them. (Hell, Auburn went 3-5 in the SEC and might have gone 9-0 in the Big Ten West! Who wants to put together that good a team and still lose that much? The times they might be changing.)

PS - had to drive though Atlanta Thursday and again Saturday. (Daughters beau proposed on the beach Friday night and we had to be there for the post-proposal surprise party. Longer story about dog necessitating a drive not told here.) Traffic north and south of the city made me want to kill things. Turned a 12 hour drive into 16 on the way down. Crafted a detour to make it back in 13 and a half. Probably couldn’t stop for donuts anyway, but the traffic assured it. May have assured I never drive to/through Atlanta again! I blame you.)
It's all my fault, I take all the blame . . . we moved down here and the world plus half of New York saw we had camped out down here and they all followed suit.

Just like at restaurants, we show up when the place is empty and then e'erbody in town follows us in . . . when we leave there's a line out the door. Our eldest says it's because we're now old and just eat dinner before everybody else does, but we're pretty sure it's because folks see our car in the parking lot and decide to follow our lead.

I can handle the load . . . no bone spurs here . . . .;)

[on edit] Post-proposal surprise party? Good lord . . . if that's what you're having to do for them getting engaged, just wait until she's expecting for the first time . . . SopeJr#2's mother in law has the couples baby shower at a local restaurant down to 50 for dinner . . .

. . . we offered to make it a progressive shower and suggested that the guys can come to our place and shower SopeJr#2 with new stock for the bar and wine cellar. They can register at the Big Red Liquors of Atlanta . . . .

Last edited:
Yes, but ...

Did that trip the last 2 years. The first year was as you described. This year I planned the timing better and slid right through both directions.

Yes, but ...

Just puttin on the dog, ain't ya!! Congrats ole boy!

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
Yes, but ...

Atlanta is not bad to drive through. You just have to make sure you hit town at 3:00 AM !

Atlanta is not bad to drive through. You just have to make sure you hit town at 3:00 AM !
Usually, at 3 am you're right . . . we did have a cow truck tip over (I blame MTIOTF for cow-tipping) on I-75 early one morning in September . . . backed up traffic for most of the day . . .

. . . and then there was the time when the college baseball team bus - from Indiana? - was driving all night on the way to some games in Florida one spring, and the bus driver stayed in the HOV lane only to drive up an on ramp going the wrong way and exploding through the bridge concrete barrier and then going airborne back onto I-75 . . .

. . . we do have our moments . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Walt542
Usually, at 3 am you're right . . . we did have a cow truck tip over (I blame MTIOTF for cow-tipping) on I-75 early one morning in September . . . backed up traffic for most of the day . . .

. . . and then there was the time when the college baseball team bus - from Indiana? - was driving all night on the way to some games in Florida one spring, and the bus driver stayed in the HOV lane only to drive up an on ramp going the wrong way and exploding through the bridge concrete barrier and then going airborne back onto I-75 . . .

. . . we do have our moments . . . .

Fake news!

Those examples involve vehicle movement.

My problem was lack thereof.

Fake news!

Those examples involve vehicle movement.

My problem was lack thereof.
Hmmm . . . OK, I'll try to put it into a concept you'll understand . . . think of the cow truck and baseball bus as the foreplay prelude to the lack of movement . . . (here is where I resist suggesting that you ask MrsMTIOTF, who would be able to explain the analogy from first hand experience). :oops:

Reactions: td75 and 76-1
Signed in 2017
2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 are his 5 seasons to play 4.

Played in 2017
Played 3 games in 2018
2018 is his redshirt year

If he transfers he must sit out 2019 absent a waiver.
Could play 2020 and 2021.

But I could be wrong

That’s right

Yes, but ...

Miami will get it back. Too much local talent.

I'm really excited about this possibility. However, what is our success rate with transfers? Here's what I can remember...

Dawkins - bust
Roof - solid, but one year and stepping away
Jamie Thompson - 4 star minimal contribution
Four star OL from OSU - minimal contribution
Sykes - solid contributor
Howard - home run
Marquise Hawkins - former UF player and bust
Wesley Green - South Carolina and kicked off
Finch - enigma/bust
Lovecchio - former ND quarterback and solid contributor

Seems like we miss more than hit on these. Any I'm forgetting?

I'm really excited about this possibility. However, what is our success rate with transfers? Here's what I can remember...

Dawkins - bust
Roof - solid, but one year and stepping away
Jamie Thompson - 4 star minimal contribution
Four star OL from OSU - minimal contribution
Sykes - solid contributor
Howard - home run
Marquise Hawkins - former UF player and bust
Wesley Green - South Carolina and kicked off
Finch - enigma/bust
Lovecchio - former ND quarterback and solid contributor

Seems like we miss more than hit on these. Any I'm forgetting?
I would say Nick Linder worked out pretty well this past season, as did Roof, Dawkins obviously not. I’m only prepared to hold this staff responsible for their choices not those of the past.

If there is a 4-star WR from UofF who also played with Penix and wants to transfer to IU...as long as he's not a total head case, bad personal track record, etc., then why wouldn't we want great talent continuing to load up at IU? I think it sounds exciting and I can't wait to see how those final 5 spots get filled.

If Bell (who I really want for IU!) were to sign with PU and we got this kid, that would sure take the sting out of that and I bet there will be 4 more players we are excited about too come final signing day.

I'm excited by the coaching change opportunities, the current recruiting class (that if you include 4-Star Tuttle is very good for IU) and overall sense that with young talent maturing, IU has some bullish days ahead!

I would say Nick Linder worked out pretty well this past season, as did Roof, Dawkins obviously not. I’m only prepared to hold this staff responsible for their choices not those of the past.
I also forgot Luke Timian, he was a transfer that turned out pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT