ADVERTISEMENT

So…now what do we need?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Not sure why I’m even entertaining the thought? But what gets us a bid now? Besides winning the BTT, obviously.

A win Saturday would probably do it.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, but we play them fairly tough…is a bud even possible at this point?

1 win, if it’s over MSU?…doubt it. But maybe. Bubble is baaad.

2 wins? Over MSU and Wisky? One would think that would be enough. I just don’t think BTT games are weighed as heavily.

3 wins for sure would get us in.

Sucks that all we needed was 1 more stinking win at some point. 1 more damn game of digging in and holding the commanding lead we had built well into the 2nd half.

Honestly, this team doesn’t deserve the tournament and I think we’re wasting time even entertaining that pipe dream (no offense).

The entire program needs to be reevaluated at every level. And maybe we need less “IU guys” around the various levels (coaching, admin, etc.). Maybe bring in someone who thinks differently, because we are approaching a DECADE without being in the NCAA tournament.

Honestly, this team doesn’t deserve the tournament and I think we’re wasting time even entertaining that pipe dream (no offense).

The entire program needs to be reevaluated at every level. And maybe we need less “IU guys” around the various levels (coaching, admin, etc.). Maybe bring in someone who thinks differently, because we are approaching a DECADE without being in the NCAA tournament.
They’re on the doorstep. They “deserve” it just as much as anyone. It’s very frustrating that we’re likely on the outside looking in again. But we are still one inspired performance away from being back in.

Purdue isn’t dominant. It is unlikely, but our team is absolutely capable of winning Saturday. And that gets us in.

If that doesn’t happen. A win over MSU could get us in. And we’re, for sure capable of that. If we lose both our remaining games it is what it is. But if we play well in both and get one, our resume will stack up against the other bubble teams just fine.

Probably need 2 more wins, if we don’t beat Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

THIS!

Reactions: zibby43
Not sure why I’m even entertaining the thought? But what gets us a bid now? Besides winning the BTT, obviously.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, but we play them fairly tough…is a bud even possible at this point?

2 wins? Over MSU and Wisky? One would think that would be enough. I just don’t think BTT games are weighed as heavily.

Sucks that all we needed was 1 more stinking win at some point. 1 more damn game of digging in and holding the commanding lead we had built well into the 2nd half.
Get your golf clubs out its over unless you will watch the NIT. We arent winning the btt or probably even more than one game so yeah golf time.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Get your golf clubs out its over unless you will watch the NIT. We arent winning the btt or probably even more than one game so yeah golf time.
But one win could get us in. Sounds dumb. But it really could. As it’ll either be over Purdue or MSU. Actually best Purdue and we’re in. Lose a close one, then beat MSU…we could be in.

We are not in unless we win at least 2 games in the BTT and not even sure then. Given our sterling track record in the BTT don't count on us even winning one game. By the way, the Purdon't game is a loss. Just not sure if we lose by 20 or choke another one away but nonetheless it will be an L.

Reactions: bailey777
But one win could get us in. Sounds dumb. But it really could. As it’ll either be over Purdue or MSU. Actually best Purdue and we’re in. Lose a close one, then beat MSU…we could be in.
I will not be watching the Purdue game. Zero interest at this point as we will likely get thumped. Just hard to devote time anymore to a crappy program. Easier to just look on my phone.

I read this same post at the end of every season right before we flame out in the first game of the btt. Its over we had our chances and blew them.

Reactions: Mr.IU and IUCrazy2
Hard fought game tonight, as expected.

If you sweep Purdue and win one in Indy, I think you are bubbly. If you lose at Mackey, I think you better make the B1G tournament finals to have a chance.
You don't have any bad losses, really, but sitting on only three Q1 wins right now will hurt.

We need to beat PSU Sunday or we could throw back what we got tonight.

We're done unless we win the BTT tourney or spike the water supply with acid and just say we did. It's done, and I'm kind of glad. I was hopeful this year, but they still managed to breach the hull on expectations. We need a purge and just start what we got coming immediately

In my opinion they need a win at Purdue and two wins in the Tournament to be safe, If they lose to Purdue, then they need to get to the Tournament Championship game.

But one win could get us in. Sounds dumb. But it really could. As it’ll either be over Purdue or MSU.
A loss to Purdue and 1-1 in the BTT does NOT get IU in. That would leave them at 19-13 (10-12 in B1G including BTT games). No chance. Zero.

Reactions: bailey777
In one breath it’s ‘this team sucks’ and the next breath ‘I think if we can win one more game we’ll be in’
Not sure why anyone would want to sit through another game to watch this dumpster fire.
We win a game and Woodson is the next Wooden,lose a game and we need to fire his ass.
You have a guy saying take the points it’s a sure thing.Not only do they not cover,they get beat.Why anyone would put down a dime on this team to win a game is beyond me.
Then you have a guy who is advocating hiring…..what for it….Kelvin Sampson again🤣
This board is more bi polar than my ex wife lol

Last edited:
Reactions: mk24

Let’s be honest fellas, in all likelihood this team has already seen it’s last win. They will lose and Purdue, and 1st round of BTT.
Likely will host a 1st round NIT game in front of an empty and apathetic Assembly Hall and lose a close one.
Hate it if that comes across as negative, but at this point it is what it is.

Reactions: BigMobe
Face it, this team does not deserve to get in.

Reactions: Mr.IU
Last night hurt. It probably hurt more for what it means for RU than for what it means for IU. We beat them, and they are probably out. They will beat PSU and now look like they may very well be in. That takes up another valuable bubble spot that we would like to have.

then there’s this: on paper it’s our worst loss of the season. A Q3 loss.

I said to myself if IU can’t beat RU at home they don’t deserve a bid.

the only positive I take is that I expected this game to be our biggest challenge out of the following teams: OSU, MD, MN,and PU because of their D. I saw very little chance that we would score in the 70s last night.

PU sucks defensively.

they may very well blow us out, but defensively they have serious issues. And they know it.

Either a W sat or two wins in the BTT.

There is no use in even going any further. We must cut our losses and start looking to the future again.

So what if we get in the “Big Dance”. We don’t have a team that is capable of winning the first game in. Getting in “The Dance” doesn’t mean anything anymore, unless you know that your team is capable of going somewhere in the Tourney.
This team is NOT that team!!!!!

I’m not being a Debby Downer here…. I’m just looking at reality and the facts.

Let’s move on and look to fixing our problems, whatever those are, and working on our culture.
(I feel part of our problem is the Political attitude/culture of our University, that goes all the way down to the players themselves, that is affecting “TEAM” concept. But that’s a topic for the “Water Cooler” section… so I’ll leave it at that).

so our hopes come down to one of two things:

1. beating a highly ranked Purdue team, in Mackay, on Senior day, and a revenge game for them, after they just choked the B1G championship away and have been hearing doubters for the past several days and are now playing for tourney seeding and first round location

2. multi-game success in the B1G tourney

Is there a door number 3 we could find? This doesn't look good.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Since when does "lose a close one" give you bonus brownie points with the selection committee? Only W's and L's matter in the cold, hard truth of Selection Sunday, now referred to as the beginning of our "Passover" holiday..."Passed Over Sunday" in Bloomington.

"When's the last time Bob Knight got us to the Final Four? Just about any coach could do well here at IU, given our location in the center of hot shooting Hoosier basketball tradition! It's time to fire his bullying ass. He can't relate to youth of today. The game has passed him by." I distinctly remember, back in the late 90's, texting in a post here, "Be careful what you wish for." and nothing more.

In the last eight games with Rutgers, IU has lost seven times to them. Rutgers was invited into the Big Ten Conference because of their football prowess at the time. We assumed we would never lose to them in basketball. Does every other barn in New Jersey have a basketball goal attached to it? Does New Jersey even have barns? Where did it all go so wrong, so not right? Something is rotten not only in Denmark.

Since when does "lose a close one" give you bonus brownie points with the selection committee? Only W's and L's matter in the cold, hard truth of Selection Sunday, now referred to as the beginning of our "Passover" holiday..."Passed Over Sunday" in Bloomington.

"When's the last time Bob Knight got us to the Final Four? Just about any coach could do well here at IU, given our location in the center of hot shooting Hoosier basketball tradition! It's time to fire his bullying ass. He can't relate to youth of today. The game has passed him by." I distinctly remember, back in the late 90's, texting in a post here, "Be careful what you wish for." and nothing more.

In the last eight games with Rutgers, IU has lost seven times to them. Rutgers was invited into the Big Ten Conference because of their football prowess at the time. We assumed we would never lose to them in basketball. Does every other barn in New Jersey have a basketball goal attached to it? Does New Jersey even have barns? Where did it all go so wrong, so not right? Something is rotten not only in Denmark.
add up our combined record over the past 5 yrs vs RU, Wisky and Purdue. Embarrassing. Hell we're not even fairing that well vs Northwestern anymore.

The bubble is so weak this year...that I'd bet a lot of money that the "eye test" will play a bigger role than normal.

I bet Memphis not only gets in, but has a 9-10 seed instead of the 12 playin type seed that their resume warrants. Because of how dominant they've looked recently.

For us...

A very competitive, close loss to Purdue, and then a win over MSU...would get us serious consideration.

Whereas a blowout loss to Purdue, and a win over MSU would get us less consideration.

Conversely, a win over Purdue, and a close loss to MSU...and I'd guess strongly that we're in.

A win over Purdue, and a blowout loss to MSU...and we'd be in serious Jeopardy.

The eye test is impossible to ingore when they'll be comparing us with a handful of other teams with similar mediocre resumes.

I hope that whoever uses the eye test watches the first 10 minutes of our games, then turns us off.

if the eye test is based on the last 10 minutes we are doomed.

Reactions: BB Hoosier
add up our combined record over the past 5 yrs vs RU, Wisky and Purdue. Embarrassing. Hell we're not even fairing that well vs Northwestern anymore.
The "once mighty" has fallen and there are a lot of folks finding it nice to see, us wallowing in misery. Sadly, I report, there is no end in sight to see, no end to our misery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT