ADVERTISEMENT

Smash and grab...

Some of her application of her point gets lost toward the end.
I guess the hundreds of videos of this happening are just CGI.

Ski mask bans & tougher shoplifting laws are harder on black & brown people? Lol. I guess actually they are since that’s who commits most of those crimes.

Oh the horror, security people are watching you shop for deodorant!!

Crime is down “in most areas”.

You got duped by a fellow wokester.🤣🤣🤣

1. I completely believe that the lobbying body for giant retailers lie through their teeth about the “losses” they’ve incurred (claiming $50 billion) while generating record profits.

2. I don’t understand how banning ski masks and cracking down with harsher sentencing “won’t solve anything” and will disproportionately impact black and brown people. So she’s saying we shouldn’t enact laws because they’re racist?

3. She states the real purpose of her entire presentation at the end. That this is about wage theft. That corporations are stealing from their workers for a sum of, coincidentally, $50 billion dollars a year.

But wage theft and shoplifting are not mutually exclusive. I also would be naive if I said the money they recouped from limiting shoplifting would make it to the pockets of retail workers. That’s not how giant corporations with shareholders work.

Ski mask bans & tougher shoplifting laws are harder on black & brown people? Lol. I guess actually they are since that’s who commits most of those crimes.

Or the ability to capture it on video AND publish it is MUCH easier than it used to be.

Remember in the 90's when we all dropped out highlights on YouTube and TikTok?

Ignore the numbers. Just pay attention to the videos, but I'm the one being duped?

1. I completely believe that the lobbying body for giant retailers lie through their teeth about the “losses” they’ve incurred (claiming $50 billion) while generating record profits.

2. I don’t understand how banning ski masks and cracking down with harsher sentencing “won’t solve anything” and will disproportionately impact black and brown people. So she’s saying we shouldn’t enact laws because they’re racist?

3. She states the real purpose of her entire presentation at the end. That this is about wage theft. That corporations are stealing from their workers for a sum of, coincidentally, $50 billion dollars a year.

But wage theft and shoplifting are not mutually exclusive. I also would be naive if I said the money they recouped from limiting shoplifting would make it to the pockets of retail workers. That’s not how giant corporations with shareholders work.
Yeah, her takes at the end are kind of silly.

Let’s not be stupid. Criminals are literally crashing cars into high end stores on Michigan Ave routinely.

All of the videos of people shoplifting aren’t doctored.

The amount of merch behind locked cases and mechanisms is annoying af.

I’m going to both sides this thing real big.

It’s totally possible that the notion of a crime wave is overblown on the whole while being completely true at the individual level.

Like, Walmart earns BILLIONS per year. It would take lots of shoplifting to put the Waltons out on the street. But at the individual level, shoplifting focused on a “problem store” could shut it down. It’s all about the allocation of the theft between stores.

Speaking only from my experience in Indy, several dollar stores, groceries, pharmacies, and Walmarts have definitely been impacted from shoplifting. But I don’t think we’re going back to the days of prosecuting theft of $5 (or $50 or $100) worth of items as a felony because the legislature is t going to rewrite the code to that effect.

Or the ability to capture it on video AND publish it is MUCH easier than it used to be.

Remember in the 90's when we all dropped out highlights on YouTube and TikTok?

Ignore the numbers. Just pay attention to the videos, but I'm the one being duped?
What numbers? Did I miss where she said how much it actually is? $44.5 billion? $5,000? At what number is it a problem? Are stores exaggerating numbers, maybe, but you & this lady suggesting it’s some kind of ruse to promote wage theft is hilarious. And people think the right have all of the conspiracy nuts.😂

What numbers? Did I miss where she said how much it actually is? $44.5 billion? $5,000? At what number is it a problem? Are stores exaggerating numbers, maybe, but you & this lady suggesting it’s some kind of ruse to promote wage theft is hilarious. And people think the right have all of the conspiracy nuts.😂
NowThis News is the left's version of the outrage machine. This video and $9.47 will get Murt a fluffy coffee at SBUX.

Sarcastic Game Show GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

It was from "Now This". You see them you know you are about to get fed some bullshit.

Shrink is usually considered "good" if you can keep it below 2%. I believe average shrink is like 1.4% and there are some retailers that were reporting over 3% in shrink (which would be pretty bad). Total retail sales in 2022 were $7,096.03 billion. 1.4% of that figure is $99.3 billion. Some shrink is attributable to poor inventory control attributed to the retailer though and not all just theft. Retailers reporting $45 billion in theft losses would be pretty accurate based on that.

Additionally, the smash and grab stuff isn't happening all over the US. It is happening in areas with policies that make it significantly more lucrative to do so. Namely large metropolitan areas with extremely lax "progressive" prosecution for those crimes. The retailers are sounding the alarm so that kind of stupid thinking doesn't make its way from San Francisco to Ft. Wayne.

It was from "Now This". You see them you know you are about to get fed some bullshit.

Shrink is usually considered "good" if you can keep it below 2%. I believe average shrink is like 1.4% and there are some retailers that were reporting over 3% in shrink (which would be pretty bad). Total retail sales in 2022 were $7,096.03 billion. 1.4% of that figure is $99.3 billion. Some shrink is attributable to poor inventory control attributed to the retailer though and not all just theft. Retailers reporting $45 billion in theft losses would be pretty accurate based on that.

Additionally, the smash and grab stuff isn't happening all over the US. It is happening in areas with policies that make it significantly more lucrative to do so. Namely large metropolitan areas with extremely lax "progressive" prosecution for those crimes. The retailers are sounding the alarm so that kind of stupid thinking doesn't make its way from San Francisco to Ft. Wayne.
I subscribe to the theory that it is more about anonymity than lax prosecution.

The odds of me being recognized at all if I travel to the west side of Indy and commit a theft is significantly lower than if I did it in Demotte.

Additionally, incarceration is expensive. If major metros cracked down on “petty” crime, it wouldn’t leave room for objectively worse crime. I remember when I started prosecuting in a small town and everyone was basically put on probation. When I came to the city they looked at me like I was crazy. Not because they didn’t care about crime, but because the resources just don’t exist to manage that much.

It doesn’t make it right, it’s just reality.

From the bastion of liberal ideals... Forbes...
Up in some cities. Down in some. Overall down. Media and pearl clutchers have overblown things per usual. Doesn't mean it's not a real issue in certain cities though...

Reactions: hoosboot
I’m going to both sides this thing real big.

It’s totally possible that the notion of a crime wave is overblown on the whole while being completely true at the individual level.

Like, Walmart earns BILLIONS per year. It would take lots of shoplifting to put the Waltons out on the street. But at the individual level, shoplifting focused on a “problem store” could shut it down. It’s all about the allocation of the theft between stores.

Speaking only from my experience in Indy, several dollar stores, groceries, pharmacies, and Walmarts have definitely been impacted from shoplifting. But I don’t think we’re going back to the days of prosecuting theft of $5 (or $50 or $100) worth of items as a felony because the legislature is t going to rewrite the code to that effect.
Petty theft has never been a priority for law enforcement going back decades.

I subscribe to the theory that it is more about anonymity than lax prosecution.

The odds of me being recognized at all if I travel to the west side of Indy and commit a theft is significantly lower than if I did it in Demotte.

Additionally, incarceration is expensive. If major metros cracked down on “petty” crime, it wouldn’t leave room for objectively worse crime. I remember when I started prosecuting in a small town and everyone was basically put on probation. When I came to the city they looked at me like I was crazy. Not because they didn’t care about crime, but because the resources just don’t exist to manage that much.

It doesn’t make it right, it’s just reality.

I subscribe to the theory that you get what you allow. If people know that they can walk into CVS with a garbage bag and clear out the cosmetics aisle with no repercussions, then they will.

To a degree you are correct though. The level of degeneracy in our major metropolitan areas is at such a level that it would require a huge undertaking to undue all the awesomeness of the slow advances that modern progressivism has gained us over the last 70 or so years. That being said, I would be willing to put in the effort to throw some of the most egregious of these assholes in IUCrazy's new penal system. It would be the one where you don't get to sit in a cell all day, lift weights, and hang with your boys. Nah, Make Chain Gangs Great Again. Put these antisocial dickheads back out into the community picking up trash in the streets or doing something that contributes to society. Maybe they can be the ones to pick the needles up and shovel the shit off the sidewalks in San Francisco. Make the garbage bag of nail polish not worth the hassle to your chosen targets and other people start getting the message.

Why isn't organized shoplifting being prosecuted as RICO type of crime which would provide much harsher sentences for those involved?

Anecdote: before the code was re-written to make petty theft a misdemeanor by default instead of a felony, a friend of mine did a trial prosecuting a guy for eating a hotdog at a gas station without paying for it.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
Neither is forcing homeless people off the street for loitering, or jaywalking, or public urination.

Add up all the small things that are seems as “nbd” and you create an atmosphere of lawlessness and an eroded quality of life that forces law abiding people out of the area.

Broken windows theory still applies.

Last edited:
Neither is forcing homeless people off the street for loitering, or jaywalking, or public urination.

Add up all the small things that are seems as “nbd” and you create an atmosphere of lawlessness and a diminished quality of life that forces law abiding people out of the area.

Broken windows theory still applies.
Basically why some stores end up being shuttered. The cumulative losses of a single store eventually cause the company to just shut it down and invest their remaining capital elsewhere.

I've never understood how some people make the argument that because the enterprise is profitable in the aggregate, it should be OK with losing money at any location. Just not how it works.

From the bastion of liberal ideals... Forbes...
Up in some cities. Down in some. Overall down. Media and pearl clutchers have overblown things per usual. Doesn't mean it's not a real issue in certain cities though...

If you acknowledge that it’s a real issue in certain cities, how specifically is it being overblown?

If you acknowledge that it’s a real issue in certain cities, how specifically is it being overblown?
I like this theft story from this week. They were going out stealing so much stuff from stores they thought “hey. We should open a store in the hood with our stolen merch. We’ll call it Fly Shit Only.”

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
Because there are people afraid to go out and shop in Mayberry USA not just in those cities. People on this board who claim the entire country is a dumpster fire. It's not true. Very far from it. The reality is we live in the most ridiculously awesome time in the history on man kind.

It's like the people fretting about 10% increases in grocery cost here but failing to mention it's being driven by 1000% increases for crab legs and name brand string cheese. ;)

Because there are people afraid to go out and shop in Mayberry USA not just in those cities. People on this board who claim the entire country is a dumpster fire. It's not true. Very far from it. The reality is we live in the most ridiculously awesome time in the history on man kind.

It's like the people fretting about 10% increases in grocery cost here but failing to mention it's being driven by 1000% increases for crab legs and name brand string cheese. ;)
I have an indoor gang tonight where a buddy was carjacked in the parking lot a few months ago. That changes how you feel about safety your community and bringing kids. These are not insignificant things nor hyperbolic. And it’s a consequence of voters, people who they choose, people who vote like you. I find nothing funny about it. Understand?

I have an indoor gang tonight where a buddy was carjacked in the parking lot a few months ago. That changes how you feel about safety your community and bringing kids. These are not insignificant things nor hyperbolic. And it’s a consequence of voters, people who they choose, people who vote like you. I find nothing funny about it. Understand?

So now that white people are being effected we should take crime seriously? Got it. Get the crime back into the hoods and way worse like it was in the 80s and 90s.

So now that white people are being effected we should take crime seriously? Got it. Get the crime back into the hoods and way worse like it was in the 80s and 90s.
Not white people. Dems. Dems should take crime seriously. Lift cops up. Laud them. Pay them more. Get better ones. End bail projects. Don’t elect progressive prosecutors

We know how to fix crime. Progressives do the opposite

Ummm....Jet....

• The FBI data, which compares crime rates in the third quarter of 2023 to the same period last year, found that violent crime dropped 8%, while property crime fell 6.3% to what would be its lowest level since 1961, according to criminologist Jeff Asher, who analyzed the FBI numbers.

The homicide rate in the US dropped more in 2023 than in US recorded history.

Maybe you need to get woke. ;)

Reactions: T.M.P.
Not white people. Dems. Dems should take crime seriously. Lift cops up. Laud them. Pay them more. Get better ones. End bail projects. Don’t elect progressive prosecutors

We know how to fix crime. Progressives do the opposite
Spending has been consistent and I'm sure you want to argue frugalness with us liberal. Here's a hint. We lose. We also have the most police officers in this country since 2005 right now.

Spending has been consistent and I'm sure you want to argue frugalness with us liberal. Here's a hint. We lose. We also have the most police officers in this country since 2005 right now.

Number of cops mean nothing without population growth. After the summer of love police departments experienced an unprecedented number of resignations and retirements. Stl is short 300 cops from a force of 1.200. Add a soros prosecutor and you have a recipe for disaster. In a word: progressives. If progressives get ctrl from San Fran to Stl only bad follows. They are an insidious cancer

Last edited:
Number of cops mean nothing without population growth. After the summer of love police departments experienced an unprecedented number of resignations and retirements. Stl is short 300 cops from a force of 1.200. Add a soros prosecutor and you have a recipe for disaster. In a word: progressives
Citation, please. Over what time period? St.Louis' population is in free fall.

Ummm....Jet....

• The FBI data, which compares crime rates in the third quarter of 2023 to the same period last year, found that violent crime dropped 8%, while property crime fell 6.3% to what would be its lowest level since 1961, according to criminologist Jeff Asher, who analyzed the FBI numbers.

Trends have been downward nationwide for decades and that's a good thing. It specific large metro areas that run counter to the trends that always get the attention and drive policy changes and/or new laws.

yes progressives like cori bush and soros backed prosecutors etc have the city in free fall. but it's changing. the soros prosecutor left and the new one seems to be doing a good job. cori bush is in real danger of losing her seat to bell, who is also woke, but infinitely smarter and would be much better.

More anecdotes: I know plenty of cops who hung on way past retirement age because they liked their job who did voluntarily retire in the last several years because they're generally unhappy with things.

I'd be interested in seeing the stats on retirements/resignation cross tabbed with age/experience.

Also, I really hope one of these days that there's a conservative takeover of some city. Mayor, city council, prosecutor, everything. And I hope they stay in power for like 10 years. So they'll finally STFU about everything being progressives' faults and how it's so easy to fix crime. If it were easy it'd been done at some point over the last 10 thousand years of civilization. It'd be a complete and utter mess, but I'd love for the dog to catch its car for once.

Reactions: Bill4411
Ummm....Jet....

uh no. woke is getting thrown out. from chicago prosecutors to saint louis and police departments are trying to add police, being funded again, after the absolutely inane disaster following the blm bullshit and progressives running wild. the farther removed we get from progressives and the summer of love in terms of policies the better the numbers will get.

More anecdotes: I know plenty of cops who hung on way past retirement age because they liked their job who did voluntarily retire in the last several years because they're generally unhappy with things.

I'd be interested in seeing the stats on retirements/resignation cross tabbed with age/experience.

Also, I really hope one of these days that there's a conservative takeover of some city. Mayor, city council, prosecutor, everything. And I hope they stay in power for like 10 years. So they'll finally STFU about everything being progressives' faults and how it's so easy to fix crime. If it were easy it'd been done at some point over the last 10 thousand years of civilization. It'd be a complete and utter mess, but I'd love for the dog to catch its car for once.
rudy did it in new york. htere's a path. and retirements and resignations were at an unprecedented level after george floyd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT