ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT - Best Restaurants in Bloomington

IU1974

Redshirt
Jul 27, 2012
going to the Central Arkansas game (2nd game since 1974) and wanted recommendations for the best restaurants in Bloomington to include IU hangouts (don’t have to be awesome food).

Thank you very much!

going to the Central Arkansas game (2nd game since 1974) and wanted recommendations for the best restaurants in Bloomington to include IU hangouts (don’t have to be awesome food).

Thank you very much!
People talk about Nicks a lot. I've never been there. I miss Mustards. I saw my oldest boy eat one of their regular hamburger when he was around 10. Very impressed with my little dude who is now pushing 30. Man time goes quick.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Thank you very much!
The restaurant scene in B'town has changed through the years, in my view for the better with a huge expansion in the ethnic restaurants mostly represented on Fourth Street. You didn't say what sort of food you were looking for, so I would recommend going to TripAdvisor.com and checking their reviews.

Depends what kind of food you want or if you are more interested ina hang out, watching other games, etc. There is a New Mexican place called Social Cantina that is very good. Malibu and Uptown are always good. Scholars Inn has been renovated and new menu. The Tap has good bar food and fun place to watch games.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
If you’ve never done Nicks, you need to, just to check the box. It’s an institution. Mother Bears has good pie, if ur looking for pizza. Hinkles has great burgers. Dagwoods always had good sandwiches. Lot of options

Thank you all for the recommendations! No preference on types of places to eat, just not the chains. Sounds like Nicks will definitely be one stop.

If you’ve never done Nicks, you need to, just to check the box. It’s an institution. Mother Bears has good pie, if ur looking for pizza. Hinkles has great burgers. Dagwoods always had good sandwiches. Lot of options
Nicks is a rite of passage though i’m not sure for what... still. Order the tenderloin.

Thank you very much!

Have you not been to Bloomington since '74? Did you ever go to IU?

Take some interest in your Alma mater.

or....

We don't want your t-shirt fandom.

The restaurant scene in B'town has changed through the years, in my view for the better with a huge expansion in the ethnic restaurants mostly represented on Fourth Street. You didn't say what sort of food you were looking for, so I would recommend going to TripAdvisor.com and checking their reviews.

Agreed. Btown stands apart for many reasons, but the dining scene is amazing. Quality choices for every mood and taste.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
going to the Central Arkansas game (2nd game since 1974) and wanted recommendations for the best restaurants in Bloomington to include IU hangouts (don’t have to be awesome food)

Thank you very much!

I was born and raised in Bloomington. Graduated from IU...after a corporate career that spun me around the country I have moved back (been here about 10 years or so) here's my list of favs:

Fine Dining (no jacket required; but the food/experience is such):
  • The Roost
  • Topo's 403
Great Restaurants
  • Michaels Uptown Cafe
  • The Farm

Nostalgia, Drinks and Good Food:
  • Nicks*
  • Trojan Horse
    • Best burger in Bloomington
  • Mother Bears*
Brew Pubs and a couple of Bars with Good Food/Atmosphere
  • Big Woods
  • Upland
  • The Tap
  • Irish Lion
International Flavor
  • Just go to Fourth Street and walk the block. I really haven't been disappointed on Fourth Street, having said that, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the Mexican and Indian food in town.
*Good pizza. I like Bears over Nicks for pizza. Also Cafe Pizzeria is good. They don't serve alcohol.

This is the high rotation list for this native.

Thank you very much!

In no particular order...

Zagreb
Zagreb
Zagreb
Opie Taylor’s
Zagreb
Nick’s
Zagreb

Reactions: Kentucky31
In no particular order...

Zagreb
Zagreb
Zagreb
Opie Taylor’s
Zagreb
Nick’s
Zagreb

I've been disappointed in Zagreb's...after the kids took over...I haven't been there for at least three years...so it may be back to form...I just don't know.

Have you not been to Bloomington since '74? Did you ever go to IU?

Take some interest in your Alma mater.

or....

We don't want your t-shirt fandom.
Didn’t attend IU, but lived in Bloomington. My mother worked for the university across the street from Assembly Hall and gave me tickets to attend the games. Been a fan since the early 70s, which I’m sure is longer than most on here. Thanks for the attack.

h20pls. Know's the scene. .
Nicely done..
And I live in Washington In. But go to many basketball & football games.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: h20pls
People talk about Nicks a lot. I've never been there. I miss Mustards. I saw my oldest boy eat one of their regular hamburger when he was around 10. Very impressed with my little dude who is now pushing 30. Man time goes quick.
Mustards cheese sticks and the sauce! Mmmmm

I've been disappointed in Zagreb's...after the kids took over...I haven't been there for at least three years...so it may be back to form...I just don't know.
One thing of note, the meat cutter and supplier of the steaks changed (closed) about that time. Tons of restaurants used Ferris’s market.

Never understood the Zagreb hype. Went like 10 years ago and paid $30 for a mediocre steak with a hamburger bun. I would've been happier at Kilroys.

Reactions: Bligedy
Bloomington will not support subpar food. They literally get run out of town! Buffalouies, nicks, zagrebs, Bubs, Cloverleaf, Trojan horse, uptown, cafe pizzeria, mother bears, opie taylors, Malibu grill, Bobby’s at Colorado. All these places must be doing something right. Try the sweet Lou at buffalouies.

Reactions: stollcpa
One thing of note, the meat cutter and supplier of the steaks changed (closed) about that time. Tons of restaurants used Ferris’s market.

I had heard...back in the day...around the mid-90s...that they purchased their meat at the Eastside Krogers. I've no idea if that is true.

There is no substitute for quality ingredients...

Just the same...and I haven't been there in quite a while...I have found Janko's lacking.

Bloomington will not support subpar food. They literally get run out of town! Buffalouies, nicks, zagrebs, Bubs, Cloverleaf, Trojan horse, uptown, cafe pizzeria, mother bears, opie taylors, Malibu grill, Bobby’s at Colorado. All these places must be doing something right. Try the sweet Lou at buffalouies.

This is true (though I've never really liked Malibu Grill or Bobby's), if a restaurant has been in business in Bloomington for 3 years...it's doing something well.

Lots of good recommendations (other than White Castle for the wife).

Thank you all again.

Ate dinner there in August. It is good. Not St. Elmo or my deck grill, but very good.

Is Nicks a hoops hangout even when the students are on break?

Yes. Typically when the kids are on break the bride and I will go to Nicks for a game. Good crowd, fandom and camaraderie. We've even gone there for some NCAA first or second round action...quite lively. Good time.

Ate dinner there in August. It is good. Not St. Elmo or my deck grill, but very good.

Well I'll have to give them another try.

I've had similar sentiments about Hinkles...which is a legendary local burger joint. It's been about three years after I took several unsatisfying trips...I may need to give them one last chance.

Bloomington will not support subpar food.

Much evidence to the contrary, "sub-par" food being integral to American culture. While Indiana's Bohemian mecca Bloomington may be, crappy food abounds for the simple fact that 50,000+ teenagers love what they know best.

What’s getting bad w restaurants are the ones that buy everything from Sysco and then microwave the junk and serve it.

Sounds like I’ll be at Nicks on game day......

I was born and raised in Bloomington. Graduated from IU...after a corporate career that spun me around the country I have moved back (been here about 10 years or so) here's my list of favs:

Fine Dining (no jacket required; but the food/experience is such):
  • The Roost
  • Topo's 403
Great Restaurants
  • Michaels Uptown Cafe
  • The Farm

Nostalgia, Drinks and Good Food:
  • Nicks*
  • Trojan Horse
    • Best burger in Bloomington
  • Mother Bears*
Brew Pubs and a couple of Bars with Good Food/Atmosphere
  • Big Woods
  • Upland
  • The Tap
  • Irish Lion
International Flavor
  • Just go to Fourth Street and walk the block. I really haven't been disappointed on Fourth Street, having said that, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the Mexican and Indian food in town.
*Good pizza. I like Bears over Nicks for pizza. Also Cafe Pizzeria is good. They don't serve alcohol.

This is the high rotation list for this native.
My wife and I have been eating at Samira for years. It's on the NE corner of the town square. It's middle eastern food and the lunch buffet is wonderful with lots of retired professor types in attendance which means good food and reasonably priced. The best hummus appetizer you'll ever eat and it comes with the meal free (also a small portion of baklava.)
My wife and I enjoy Malibu Grill (not the chain one) on the east side of town square) before a late basketball game or before an early game. We dine only in the bar area - we're people watchers. Mellencamp's dad hangs out there, too, always with a much younger, lovely chick by his side. I never could figure out how he does it. Should I ask John?

I graduated in ‘08, and at the time the best restaurant for dinner was The Farm, and best place for breakfast was Scholars Inn IMO. You have to go to Nicks, if you’ve never been. I’ve never really eaten there for dinner, but as an alum or otherwise, it’s definitely something to do if you haven’t been. Mother bears off of 3rd is always good, as is pizza express (pizza x now bc I think they got sued for the name?), or mad mushroom etc. Zagreb’s is really good, and I can understand some complaints about their quality. It’s always has been a stop in Bloomington for me,

With all of the food choices in Bloomington, you really can’t go wrong. Have fun. I’m looking forward to coming back for the Louisville game in early December.

Thank you very much!
Lennie’s/Bloomington Brewing Co.
Upland
Nicks (I’d tell you to be the wings, but they don’t serve them on game days, so get the strom and sink the biz fries) Tell Thunder hello.

Reactions: IU40IU and eddy4iu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT