ADVERTISEMENT

Since this is Archie's first year

Purdue fans always say that MSU paid to get Dawson yet you still complain about not getting him. If MSU paid him then why would you still have wanted him at PU.
Isn't that what I'm saying about Romeo? He might be above all of that. I just know that Pitino has been outed. And a lot of posters claim Drew has to be cheating.
After Dawson took the visit to MSU, most knew that recruitment was over. I think most Purdue fans ended up glad he didn't go there. He started yelling at Painter during a game. Of course you can guess how that was handled by Izzo.

Isn't that what I'm saying about Romeo? He might be above all of that. I just know that Pitino has been outed. And a lot of posters claim Drew has to be cheating.
After Dawson took the visit to MSU, most knew that recruitment was over. I think most Purdue fans ended up glad he didn't go there. He started yelling at Painter during a game. Of course you can guess how that was handled by Izzo.
Oh the irony of a Purdue fan talking about this shite, all without even a single mention of the thousands and thousands of pork chops that have been assaulted by Matt painter in 2018 alone. #thoughtsandprayerswiththeporkchops

Reactions: IUgradman
Hartman was ranked. I actually think he was a 4-star when he committed, but slid back over the next couple years. Also, we had two more 4-stars (Davis, Jones), when we lost to ISU and FW. But...it's year 1.

Collin wasn't ranked by anybody coming out of high school. He slid pretty dramatically.

It's fair to point out that we did lose, at home, to ISU and Ft Wayne...and they were god awful losses, but I hope people can see that the team we have now is much better than what we had just a month and a half ago, especially on the defensive end.

We haven't been ridiculously torched from three in a while. Maybe that's because Davis is out of the lineup but I'd like to believe it's the team 'getting it' on defense.

Even Dakich who was all over the team early is saying that he had a ref tell him that we (the players) really get angry now when we let someone score, which is an attitude we haven't had since Knight. That's a complete identity change.

Izzo kept mentioning that he was embarrassed how we out fought and out toughed them. I mean for fs sake we couldn't throw the ball into the ocean but had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute...when we predictably clanked free throws again. That's a talent problem.

Last edited:
People need to put some of this in context. Fans who are saying that this team is “similar to the 198X team” have to remember that this 2018 year is one in which the BIG is at an all time low. It is awful, probably as bad as it has ever been. When you got IU hovering between 6-7th place ain the conference, that tells you exactly how putrid the conference is this year.

If you cannot make an NIT this year, in this conference, your program stinks.
Archie has got a lot of work to do. Why does everybody assume that 1st year coaches get a free pass?

Plenty of coaches have come in and had instant success.....but that only happens at programs that don’t have to rebuild with every new coach.

IU is sadly a rebuild type of program.
Are you a moron? This team has very little talent. If Crean was still here they wouldn't even be competitive in most of these games. Give him a few years to get some talent in and a IU will be a top 20 team every year and a potential title winner every 3 or 4. This guy knows what he's doing and it's obvious to anyone that knows basketball. ..you obviously do not!

Reactions: mazz
Are you a moron? This team has very little talent. If Crean was still here they wouldn't even be competitive in most of these games. Give him a few years to get some talent in and a IU will be a top 20 team every year and a potential title winner every 3 or 4. This guy knows what he's doing and it's obvious to anyone that knows basketball. ..you obviously do not!

Not sure if I need to even respond to a guy with “forver” in his handle. Forver? Really?

Geez.

I didn’t say that Archie wasn’t a good coach, but that the program stinks right now. That’s it. I’m in Archie’s corner. And, I hope things get drastically better by 2020, because that is about the max shelf life for a coach these days before the fan base turns on him. This isn’t a complete tear down and rebuild. Hell, even the “tanned one” had IU going by 2012. I expect Archie to do it in less time.

Not sure if I need to even respond to a guy with “forver” in his handle. Forver? Really?

Geez.

I didn’t say that Archie wasn’t a good coach, but that the program stinks right now. That’s it. I’m in Archie’s corner. And, I hope things get drastically better by 2020, because that is about the max shelf life for a coach these days before the fan base turns on him. This isn’t a complete tear down and rebuild. Hell, even the “tanned one” had IU going by 2012. I expect Archie to do it in less time.

The team stinks right now, not the program.

Reactions: ORG
Collin wasn't ranked by anybody coming out of high school. He slid pretty dramatically.

It's fair to point out that we did lose, at home, to ISU and Ft Wayne...and they were god awful losses, but I hope people can see that the team we have now is much better than what we had just a month and a half ago, especially on the defensive end.

We haven't been ridiculously torched from three in a while. Maybe that's because Davis is out of the lineup but I'd like to believe it's the team 'getting it' on defense.

Even Dakich who was all over the team early is saying that he had a ref tell him that we (the players) really get angry now when we let someone score, which is an attitude we haven't had since Knight. That's a complete identity change.

Izzo kept mentioning that he was embarrassed how we out fought and out toughed them. I mean for fs sake we couldn't throw the ball into the ocean but had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute...when we predictably clanked free throws again. That's a talent problem.

The weird thing about this team is that their overall kenpom rating haven't really changed much, even in the last month. Their defensive rating has improved quite a bit, but it's been totally offset by a plummeting offensive rating. We're still just around 90th, overall. Our effort is good, and obviously I hope an infusion of talent can change some things next year. He's kept them playing hard, but Archie is getting very little out of our guards on the offensive end, and injuries, transfers, and questionable recruiting has crushed our depth.

The defensive effort is a plus. A big plus--and one I'm happy to see. But, shooting, which includes shot selection and form, can be coached. At this point, nearly everybody on the team is shooting worse under Miller than they did under Crean. And that hasn't been improving. At all.

This is the Big Ten...you can't win on effort alone--because this conference recruits some serious talent. Hopefully these things turn around.

Uh, OK, what? You said: "The administration tolerates and even embraces mediocrity."

Does this even mean something? How does a person "embrace" mediocrity?

Pics please.
He truly believes that constantly shouting/typing “I DO NOT TOLERATE MEDIOCRITY!!!” is productive and will bring about instant championships.

This is the same guy who is demanding that the women’s basketball coach be fired for...reasons?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
The weird thing about this team is that their overall kenpom rating haven't really changed much, even in the last month. Their defensive rating has improved quite a bit, but it's been totally offset by a plummeting offensive rating. We're still just around 90th, overall. Our effort is good, and obviously I hope an infusion of talent can change some things next year. He's kept them playing hard, but Archie is getting very little out of our guards on the offensive end, and injuries, transfers, and questionable recruiting has crushed our depth.

The defensive effort is a plus. A big plus--and one I'm happy to see. But, shooting, which includes shot selection and form, can be coached. At this point, nearly everybody on the team is shooting worse under Miller than they did under Crean. And that hasn't been improving. At all.

This is the Big Ten...you can't win on effort alone--because this conference recruits some serious talent. Hopefully these things turn around.

I agree with you 100% on that shooting could be partially blamed on the coaches.

It could be the offensive sets aren't getting good shots, playing hard defensively is killing their legs and form, etc. It's interesting that everyone seems to be much worse rather than one guy having a crappy year.

I wonder about why so many guys are drifting? That seems to me as an obvious flaw to fix.

I also noticed that Robert Johnson swished a nice three on a Tom Crean kind of offensive move vs MSU. That was a pass was reversed from the wing to a driver who jumped out of bounds on the baseline and kicked it out to Johnson while he was falling out of bounds.

Probably nothing but I made a comment that was a Crean like set. Lol

What gives me hope is that Dayton wasn't that bad of a 3 point shooting team (neither has Arizona) so hopefully it's just the current guys, most of our shooters being unranked talent.

Sometimes you can really just count up the ranked recruits and it will paint a picture.

Not even considering roster balance, experience, scheme that they are playing in, etc.

We have 4 ranked players right now...Johnson, Morgan, Justin Smith and Clifton Moore.

That's about as low as we've had since Crean's second season (he had Watford, Hulls, Elston, Verdell, Bawa...not counting Creek).

He also didn't actively recruit any of these guys. They are all leftovers. One nice thing that Holtmann and Underwood has had is they brought in a handful of guys they actively recruited. Archie kept Crean's entire roster to his credit. In hindsight what if Arch brings Wright and Naz Carter who are both playing well...better than Moore and Durham. Or maybe he gets a grad transfer? I don't know.

I do know that we are playing with a toughness that we haven't seen in a long time while playing one four star (Johnson), one three star (Morgan) and a bunch of unranked guys (McRoberts, Freddie, Hartman, Newkirk, Durham, Green). One being a walk on and another being a 6'6" juco who were asking to defend the post.

Now granted Davis wasn't fitting in, but he's got talent and big guys can take awhile (see Diop or even Black at Illinois who is still figuring it out).

Anyway just counting can reveal a lot.

Purdue ranked guys off the top of my head are...V Edwards, C Edwards, D Matthius, I Haas, R Cline, N Eastern, some other freshman big who isn't playing like Clifton. Maybe more. Obviously Haarms is a high 4 star player but since he wasn't ranked due to being foreign I left him off.

Anyway, you can simply count most rosters and it will directionally paint a picture (spoiler alert, OSU has a lot of ranked guys on their roster).

What Archie is doing with what he has is pretty impressive.

His style raises our floor tremendously. I honestly believe Crean would have been hiding in his basement by now if he was trying to coach this roster that he put together while losing Davis and Curtis (not that Curtis did much but he was a highly ranked guy).

IU's roster as it is currently ranks in the bottom 4 of the Big 10 by my Talent + Experience ratings. So, I would agree that they are playing pretty well all considered.

However, if we rewind back to the preseason and compare IU's roster to that of PU's, I'm thinking that I would have held Crean to the standard of an NCAA bid at the least, if he were still at the helm. Even the loss of Deron wouldn't have eased my criticism of Crean because the depth issue in the frontcourt was of his own making. First year coaches, however, must be viewed through a more forgiving lens for obvious reasons imo.

All that said, here's a look at the pre-season IU and PU rosters with star rankings from the 3 services used at verbalcommits.com. I've broke them into tiers, bolded upperclassmen and highlighted the 3 IU players that aren't available currently. I see people refer to Juwan as a 3-star all the time, but he was in fact a 4-star by two of the three services and was ranked #108 by the service that gave him the 3-star label. In short Morgan was as close to being a consensus 4-star recruit as you can get. Notice also that Purdue only has two players on it's roster more highly rated than Josh Newkirk, who was rated higher than V. Edwards by two of the 3 services.

IU%2Bvs%2BPU.PNG

People need to put some of this in context. Fans who are saying that this team is “similar to the 198X team” have to remember that this 2018 year is one in which the BIG is at an all time low. It is awful, probably as bad as it has ever been. When you got IU hovering between 6-7th place ain the conference, that tells you exactly how putrid the conference is this year.

If you cannot make an NIT this year, in this conference, your program stinks.
Archie has got a lot of work to do. Why does everybody assume that 1st year coaches get a free pass?

Plenty of coaches have come in and had instant success.....but that only happens at programs that don’t have to rebuild with every new coach.

IU is sadly a rebuild type of program.
Then why are you giving Tom Allen a free pass?

I don’t think either should get a free pass. Both should be judged to their individual situations. At least Archie has a past track record to judge as well.

Archie has been a bit underwhelming so far, I’ll admit that. But Allen has been a train wreck and you praise him. Why?

IU's roster as it is currently ranks in the bottom 4 of the Big 10 by my Talent + Experience ratings. So, I would agree that they are playing pretty well all considered.

However, if we rewind back to the preseason and compare IU's roster to that of PU's, I'm thinking that I would have held Crean to the standard of an NCAA bid at the least, if he were still at the helm. Even the loss of Deron wouldn't have eased my criticism of Crean because the depth issue in the frontcourt was of his own making. First year coaches, however, must be viewed through a more forgiving lens for obvious reasons imo.

All that said, here's a look at the pre-season IU and PU rosters with star rankings from the 3 services used at verbalcommits.com. I've broke them into tiers, bolded upperclassmen and highlighted the 3 IU players that aren't available currently. I see people refer to Juwan as a 3-star all the time, but he was in fact a 4-star by two of the three services and was ranked #108 by the service that gave him the 3-star label. In short Morgan was as close to being a consensus 4-star recruit as you can get. Notice also that Purdue only has two players on it's roster more highly rated than Josh Newkirk, who was rated higher than V. Edwards by two of the 3 services.

IU%2Bvs%2BPU.PNG
Bottom 4?! What? You really need to get outside the IU bubble and go look at some other teams. Big Ten is terrible this year. We’re easily somewhere in the middle.

Bottom 4?! What? You really need to get outside the IU bubble and go look at some other teams. Big Ten is terrible this year. We’re easily somewhere in the middle.

My "bottom 4" isn't based on an opinion of mine that's clouded by an "IU bubble". I use a rating system that gives players scores based on recruiting rankings and experience. In the pre-season, I had IU tied for 2rd in the Big 10 with OSU, Nebraska and Maryland.

Later in the year, I recalculate using only the top 8 players by minutes played. IU's score took a big hit, losing 3 players who scored well in the pre-season calculations (Deron, Cujo and Hartman). The new score places IU's roster among the bottom feeders. Perhaps my system is flawed, but it treats every team the same and is not subject to the "homer" effect.

Reactions: kkott
My "bottom 4" isn't based on an opinion of mine that's clouded by an "IU bubble". I use a rating system that gives players scores based on recruiting rankings and experience. In the pre-season, I had IU tied for 2rd in the Big 10 with OSU, Nebraska and Maryland.

Later in the year, I recalculate using only the top 8 players by minutes played. IU's score took a big hit, losing 3 players who scored well in the pre-season calculations (Deron, Cujo and Hartman). The new score places IU's roster among the bottom feeders. Perhaps my system is flawed, but it treats every team the same and is not subject to the "homer" effect.
Care to elaborate on how you score this?

I agree with you 100% on that shooting could be partially blamed on the coaches.

It could be the offensive sets aren't getting good shots, playing hard defensively is killing their legs and form, etc. It's interesting that everyone seems to be much worse rather than one guy having a crappy year.

I wonder about why so many guys are drifting? That seems to me as an obvious flaw to fix.

I also noticed that Robert Johnson swished a nice three on a Tom Crean kind of offensive move vs MSU. That was a pass was reversed from the wing to a driver who jumped out of bounds on the baseline and kicked it out to Johnson while he was falling out of bounds.

Probably nothing but I made a comment that was a Crean like set. Lol

What gives me hope is that Dayton wasn't that bad of a 3 point shooting team (neither has Arizona) so hopefully it's just the current guys, most of our shooters being unranked talent.

Hmmm, maybe just take Archie at his word? He stated early on that they were spending 75% of their time on defense. I'm not worried at all. He's set his priorities with defense and is enforcing it and generating results. He's had an especially tough time because he values things the previous coach didn't care one wit about. And the previous coach left him a roster with no depth... and then he had a key injury to a starter (really 2 because of Hartman), and Josh Newkirk is/was our starting senior PG with not many alternatives. I believe having this foundation to build on, and then this summer for Morgan and company to work on their shots and the new guys coming in not having to unlearn the previous coach's ways, we'll be better next year. Guard play is still a concern. That will put alot of pressure on Phinisee. As I've said many times, a solid 5th year PG would be a huge find.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate on how you score this?

Sure...
  • I put together a spreadsheet with 8 years of data using the rosters of the top 6 conferences.
  • I recorded every players recruiting ranking and class (Fr, So, Jr, Sr)
  • Then calculated a Performance Rating based on their stats
  • I broke the recruiting rankings into tiers
  • Then found the avg. Performance Rating for each tier by class
  • For example a 4-star Jr ranked 51-75 averages 29 (this is my own PER calculation)
  • Now I just score rosters every year based on my spreadsheet PER's each pre-season
  • On Feb 2nd, I calculate an in-season rating based on the players who are actually getting the minutes.
It's mostly a waste of time, but I've been doing my own Power Ratings since the late 70's when my Dad brought home a Game-Plan College Basketball Annual magazine. It's just a habit I can't quit, but it serves to keep me plugged in on a national level more than the average college hoops fan. Plus I made almost 20K playing fanduel college basketball contests until Pence shut down the amateur corner of the Daily Fantasy Sports games in Indiana.

Reactions: outlawyer

Our system agrees and it goes beyond HS rankings and PER based. You know that already vbg. We only use pure HS rankings in pre season for freshman. Even with adjustments due to play, we lack. 10th in pure talent. 8th with coaching variable ..

And it's not just about rankings it's also about skill sets and roles.. A complete team has guard play, shooting, and strong interior defense. We have Josh Newkirk, two very inconsistent shooters, and a 6'7 - 6'6 front line ..

All we have to work with is a four who is exceptional and a glue guy. If people call that "talented", point at them and laugh .. we're basically poor or lacking in a majority of the skills and traits needed for every major role on a good basketball team.

Last edited:
Stop lying to yourself and keep saying IU doesn't have any talent. You may try to give the coach a safety net due to his first year. BUT, 1 thing for sure is that Crean can recruit talented players.

derp ...

Our system agrees and it goes beyond HS rankings and PER based. You know that already vbg. We only use pure HS rankings in pre season for freshman. Even with adjustments due to play, we lack. 10th in pure talent. 8th with coaching variable ..

And it's not just about rankings it's also about skill sets and roles.. A complete team has guard play, shooting, and strong interior defense. We have Josh Newkirk, two very inconsistent shooters, and a 6'7 - 6'6 front line ..

All we have to work with is a four who is exceptional and a glue guy. If people call that "talented", point at them and laugh .. we're basically poor or lacking in a majority of the skills and traits needed for every major role on a good basketball team.

Ha ha that's what I meant when I said just count the ranked kids at it's most, basic level...it still tells a story directionally like a compass will point you north and that's it.

When you factor in all of the considerations like you both did is where you can really distinguish between teams...and win big on Fanduel. Lol

Even at it's most basic and flawed, we're at our lowest since around the awful Crean 2.

Our talent is more experienced but it's as low as we've seen in a while.

IU%2Bvs%2BPU.PNG

Pater this is awesome as always but I've always found verbal commits, although helpful to be loose when you dig down to the player data.

Like they list ESPN having Durham as a 4 star.

Finding a picture of Durham much less a profile was tough when he was in high school.

Didn't 247 have him in the 250 range?

Anyway, great stuff.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
Pater this is awesome as always but I've always found verbal commits, although helpful to be loose when you dig down to the player data.

Like they list ESPN having Durham as a 4 star.

Finding a picture of Durham much less a profile was tough when he was in high school.

Didn't 247 have him in the 250 range?

Anyway, great stuff.

I'm not sure about Durham's 247 ranking, but I'll look into it this afternoon. You're right about verbalcommits being a little loose, but it's limited to the numerical rankings as far as I can tell. ESPN did upgrade Durham to a 4-star during his Sr season, with a scouting report that echo's what we've heard Archie say about his shooting.

I always think it's interesting to see each of the services 4-star players that are unranked. I'm not sure how a 4-star could not be ranked in the Top 150, but you see it pretty often. Maybe TMP or someone else out there knows for sure, but I chalk it up to scouts seeing players getting offers that are not in line with their summer evaluations. Regardless, I'm probably going to have to start paying again, because the free stuff is becoming less reliable.

Sure...
  • I put together a spreadsheet with 8 years of data using the rosters of the top 6 conferences.
  • I recorded every players recruiting ranking and class (Fr, So, Jr, Sr)
  • Then calculated a Performance Rating based on their stats
  • I broke the recruiting rankings into tiers
  • Then found the avg. Performance Rating for each tier by class
  • For example a 4-star Jr ranked 51-75 averages 29 (this is my own PER calculation)
  • Now I just score rosters every year based on my spreadsheet PER's each pre-season
  • On Feb 2nd, I calculate an in-season rating based on the players who are actually getting the minutes.
It's mostly a waste of time, but I've been doing my own Power Ratings since the late 70's when my Dad brought home a Game-Plan College Basketball Annual magazine. It's just a habit I can't quit, but it serves to keep me plugged in on a national level more than the average college hoops fan. Plus I made almost 20K playing fanduel college basketball contests until Pence shut down the amateur corner of the Daily Fantasy Sports games in Indiana.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. What stats do you use? So the only change pre season to mid year is the pre season you were assuming minutes based on last year and then mid season you go with actual minutes? How do you project Freshmen minutes in preseason?

Sorry for all the questions. Just genuinely interested. Thanks again for sharing.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. What stats do you use? So the only change pre season to mid year is the pre season you were assuming minutes based on last year and then mid season you go with actual minutes? How do you project Freshmen minutes in preseason?

Sorry for all the questions. Just genuinely interested. Thanks again for sharing.

No problem at all. In the pre-season, I assume that the top 8 players will be the top 8 based on the player rating scores. We'll use Indiana as an example...

Pre-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Newkirk 26
D. Davis 24-29
J. Morgan 24-27
C. Jones 22-26
C. Hartman 23
F. McSwain 22
D. Green 16-20

In-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Morgan 24-27
J. Newkirk 26
D. Green 16-20
A. Durham 10-16
Z. McRoberts 16-18
J. Smith 14-21
F. McSwain 22

I'm not going to go into every detail because I would need to write a booklet, but here are the answers to the most obvious questions. The non-seniors have a growth range for the season in that the second # shown is next season's starting point. So Justin Smith was expected to be a 14 (bench player with limited utility) at the beginning of the season, but grow into a 21 (valuable bench player) by the end of the season.

Anyway, each position (1-8) is weighted for the actual calculation and I use the 2nd number at the end of the season. Most teams are expected to have a higher score at the end of the season, sometimes a much higher score.

IU had a pre-season roster score of 255, with expected growth to 272. These numbers would have made IU a 5 or 6 seed type of NCAA Tournament team. IU's current roster score is 243, which equates to being about 6 Sagarin points worse than expected by this point in the season.

Anyway, that's how I look at roster strength. It may not be a good system, but it treats all teams the same.

No problem at all. In the pre-season, I assume that the top 8 players will be the top 8 based on the player rating scores. We'll use Indiana as an example...

Pre-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Newkirk 26
D. Davis 24-29
J. Morgan 24-27
C. Jones 22-26
C. Hartman 23
F. McSwain 22
D. Green 16-20

In-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Morgan 24-27
J. Newkirk 26
D. Green 16-20
A. Durham 10-16
Z. McRoberts 16-18
J. Smith 14-21
F. McSwain 22

I'm not going to go into every detail because I would need to write a booklet, but here are the answers to the most obvious questions. The non-seniors have a growth range for the season in that the second # shown is next season's starting point. So Justin Smith was expected to be a 14 (bench player with limited utility) at the beginning of the season, but grow into a 21 (valuable bench player) by the end of the season.

Anyway, each position (1-8) is weighted for the actual calculation and I use the 2nd number at the end of the season. Most teams are expected to have a higher score at the end of the season, sometimes a much higher score.

IU had a pre-season roster score of 255, with expected growth to 272. These numbers would have made IU a 5 or 6 seed type of NCAA Tournament team. IU's current roster score is 243, which equates to being about 6 Sagarin points worse than expected by this point in the season. Anyway, that's how I look at roster strength. It may not be a good system, but it treats all teams the same.

Here's current conference rankings. Not explaining it, as you already know how it's done.. I think? Postional breakdowns are +/- vs average top 40 team 0.00 is average..

Exp and average talent are per minute.

And, it's not a coaching ranking, it's a coaching variable, based on an 8 year window. The best way to rate coaches is purely by SOS weight win percentage.

00001.jpg

Edit: fields for OSU and IU post play is incorrect, though it doesn't change the net ranking. IU should be a bit lower and OSU higher.

Will fix later - if I feel like it .. lol

Edit 2: OSU post should be +0.16. IU post 0.00.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
Ha ha that's what I meant when I said just count the ranked kids at it's most, basic level...it still tells a story directionally like a compass will point you north and that's it.

When you factor in all of the considerations like you both did is where you can really distinguish between teams...and win big on Fanduel. Lol

Even at it's most basic and flawed, we're at our lowest since around the awful Crean 2.

Our talent is more experienced but it's as low as we've seen in a while.
After losing Davis we're about equal to Crean year three.

Pre-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Newkirk 26
D. Davis 24-29
J. Morgan 24-27
C. Jones 22-26
C. Hartman 23
F. McSwain 22
D. Green 16-20

In-Season Top 8
R. Johnson 29
J. Morgan 24-27
J. Newkirk 26
D. Green 16-20
A. Durham 10-16
Z. McRoberts 16-18
J. Smith 14-21
F. McSwain 22

IU had a pre-season roster score of 255, with expected growth to 272. These numbers would have made IU a 5 or 6 seed type of NCAA Tournament team. IU's current roster score is 243, which equates to being about 6 Sagarin points worse than expected by this point in the season.

Anyway, that's how I look at roster strength. It may not be a good system, but it treats all teams the same.
Thanks again for sharing. I can tell this takes some time. What were the mid season Big Ten rankings? Just curious how it compares to the actual standings. I’m curious where Purdue, Michigan State, and Ohio State shake out.

By the way, fwiw (I know, nothing) the main flaw IMO is you’re equal weighting the best player’s score with the 8th best player’s score. So a top player averaging 35 mpg is weighted equal with an 8th guy who may play 15 mpg. No system is perfect, and overall I like how you do this. That was just the first thing that came to mind. I’m sure you’ve thought of this.

I don’t think either should get a free pass. Both should be judged to their individual situations. At least Archie has a past track record to judge as well.

Archie has been a bit underwhelming so far, I’ll admit that. But Allen has been a train wreck and you praise him. Why?

What criteria goes into to determining that Archie has been underwhelming with this team. I'm just curious because this team has a lot of weaknesses that I don't think any coach would overcome. I'm not gonna make crazy predictions that when he gets his players in here that it's automatic they will be a perennial powerhouse but I'm fairly encouraged by the effort they put out on defense and his in game coaching.

Thanks again for sharing. I can tell this takes some time. What were the mid season Big Ten rankings? Just curious how it compares to the actual standings. I’m curious where Purdue, Michigan State, and Ohio State shake out.

By the way, fwiw (I know, nothing) the main flaw IMO is you’re equal weighting the best player’s score with the 8th best player’s score. So a top player averaging 35 mpg is weighted equal with an 8th guy who may play 15 mpg. No system is perfect, and overall I like how you do this. That was just the first thing that came to mind. I’m sure you’ve thought of this.

You make a great point about the weighting, and I added that in several years ago. The top rated player is weighted 2.5x that of the 8th man on the roster. It's a gradual decrease in weighting, but I would have to double check to be sure exactly the formula.

When I get more than a few minutes on my own, I will post the preseason Big Ten projections and the current rankings. Keep in mind though that they only take into account recruiting rankings and experience level... nothing else. Juwan Morgan is what he is in my system whether he's putting up All Big Ten numbers or a total bust. If the team is much better than my paper numbers say, then I credit the coach for getting more out of less... But, it goes the other way too sometimes.

Reactions: fpeaugh
What criteria goes into to determining that Archie has been underwhelming with this team. I'm just curious because this team has a lot of weaknesses that I don't think any coach would overcome. I'm not gonna make crazy predictions that when he gets his players in here that it's automatic they will be a perennial powerhouse but I'm fairly encouraged by the effort they put out on defense and his in game coaching.
I’m not saying I don’t believe in him long term. Far from it. But right now we sit at 13-12 and 6-7 in an absolutely pathetic conference. With the experience we had coming back I expected better. At least another 3-4 wins. And not losses to ISU, FW, and Illinois.

Our only really good win is ND in a lot of chances. And our recruiting is good but certainly not hitting it out of the park.

I’m not necessarily disappointed, but I’m also not wowed either. Just trying to be objective. He’s underwhelmed my high expectations so far is all.

Some posters’ agenda prevents them from looking objectively at the season & coach.

Btw, here is the updated Big Ten chart. The roster scores have all been converted to an approx. Sagarin Rating. Up until this season, I had given out hard copies to some people at work and they liked the conversion to Sagarin better than a lot of numbers that I had to explain.

Hopefully, it's pretty much self explanatory, but here's a brief rundown. The November column is just the starting point for each team at the beginning of the season.

Depending on the youthfulness of the roster, some teams can be expected to improve more than others as the season progresses. The Projected February column is attempt to predict the improvement by the time February rolls around.

The third column (February) is where I recalculate based on which players are actually getting the real life minutes. Injuries, transfers and recruiting busts can sometimes drastically alter those November expectations.

The fourth column (actual) is just the current real-life Sagarin Rating. I usually just do this at Tournament time, but I went ahead and plugged it in so you could see how it works.

The last column is called Coaching, because it captures the difference between expectations and reality. Right or wrong, I either blame or applaud coaches for the number in this column. Where IU is concerned I usually will dig much deeper to try to understand what went right or wrong, but I don't have time for that for the rest of the country... vbg

Since I've been doing this Painter and Beilein have typically far exceeded the rosters. They've each had a failure or two here and there, but this year is fairly common. One thing I like about IU is over the last 10 games they are averaging an 84 performance level, whereas the first 15 games they only averaged 76.

Anyway... here it is... and the teams are sorted by the Feb column, which is the roster strength as of Feb. 2nd. This goes against my "bottom 4" comment earlier in the thread, but I mentally (out of habit) always move Painter and Beilein a few notches, which puts IU among the bottom rungers.

Big%2BTen%2BProjections.PNG

Reactions: RBB89
Btw, here is the updated Big Ten chart. The roster scores have all been converted to an approx. Sagarin Rating. Up until this season, I had given out hard copies to some people at work and they liked the conversion to Sagarin better than a lot of numbers that I had to explain.

Hopefully, it's pretty much self explanatory, but here's a brief rundown. The November column is just the starting point for each team at the beginning of the season.

Depending on the youthfulness of the roster, some teams can be expected to improve more than others as the season progresses. The Projected February column is attempt to predict the improvement by the time February rolls around.

The third column (February) is where I recalculate based on which players are actually getting the real life minutes. Injuries, transfers and recruiting busts can sometimes drastically alter those November expectations.

The fourth column (actual) is just the current real-life Sagarin Rating. I usually just do this at Tournament time, but I went ahead and plugged it in so you could see how it works.

The last column is called Coaching, because it captures the difference between expectations and reality. Right or wrong, I either blame or applaud coaches for the number in this column. Where IU is concerned I usually will dig much deeper to try to understand what went right or wrong, but I don't have time for that for the rest of the country... vbg

Since I've been doing this Painter and Beilein have typically far exceeded the rosters. They've each had a failure or two here and there, but this year is fairly common. One thing I like about IU is over the last 10 games they are averaging an 84 performance level, whereas the first 15 games they only averaged 76.

Anyway... here it is... and the teams are sorted by the Feb column, which is the roster strength as of Feb. 2nd. This goes against my "bottom 4" comment earlier in the thread, but I mentally (out of habit) always move Painter and Beilein a few notches, which puts IU among the bottom rungers.

Thanks so much for the clear description and the hard work. Was wondering, without digging into it in depth...how does it take into consideration the difficult schedule? I think Archie is doing better than I had expected, minimizing that in the beginning ISU & Ft Wayne games were devastating...which I had not expected. I had hoped they would be a bubble team and...they might just be. So I am not at all sad about the year. (Given IU should never be in this position...but it is and the threes suck and the free throws are an historical low.)

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Pretty amazing what Painter has assembled at a school like Purdue. And I’ve always considered Beilein a great coach for the talent he gets. This supports that.

How the hell has Tom Allen been a train wreck? See, this is why no one takes you seriously. It’s one thing to express concerns. But you don’t do that. You go completely over the top. The guy went 5-7 in his first year. They blew a ton of leads. The two seasons prior to him taking over were both 6-6, and they blew a ton of leads. It was essentially the same team. He also just hauled in a really good recruiting class. THAT’S a trainwreck? For Indiana freaking Football? We’ve been to 11 bowls in 125 years. I guess I’m going to need you to define “trainwreck” for me.

Also, Archie took over a 7-11 conference team that lost in the NIT first round and then lost its 3 best players. The roster is...bad. He’s done fine. Maybe if you’d watch and look for what they’re trying to do and look at the bigger picture instead of getting on here and boasting about how you DEMAND EXCELLENCE on the internet, you’d actually calm down and learn to enjoy sports in some capacity.

A train wreck? Are you kidding me with this? You have always had an agenda against Allen. Archie could fall flat on his face and you’d praise him. As first year coaches, they both have had challenges.
Allen didn’t get blown out by any teams they were expected to beat.

I know you are Wilson’s biggest cheerleader (who blew several games) and yet your leash for Allen is like a choker collar.

Reactions: RBB89

Not all fixable. Freddie gives great effort, but have never seen anyone miss more one-foot shots in my life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT